• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dangertrout

So I’ve been chaining more Chanseys hoping to get a good stock of Lucky Eggs. So far I’ve gotten 5 more Lucky Eggs.

I was chaining this morning though, and my chain just sort of ended. One second the chaining music was playing, the next it was starting up the route theme. Apparently even just walking near the edge can end your chain? I knew that walking out of the grass can end the chain, and that going into a patch on the edge can end the chain, but I’ve never heard that simply walking to the edge can end it. I do it all the time in the few times I chain and it’s never happened before.

So for people who are familiar with Platinum chaining, is it a typical thing to have a chain end by walking to the edge of the patch, or is it pretty rare? It’s never happened to me before this time, though I also don’t chain much…

If you walk too far from your shaking patches (like when you're resetting the radar) it ends your chain.

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
I've walked too far away a couple of times, be very careful when chaining.

Anyway, yesterday I found a shiny Muk in a friend safari. I already had one traded to me so I felt really bad about it - I just gave both of them away in a twitch stream chat, it's easier to just give them away if I don't want them.

EDIT: I JUST FOUND A SHINY ZIGZAGOON, COMPLETELY RANDOM OMFG
I'M ABOUT TO CRY OH MY GOD

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Gratz on all recent shinies!

After getting lapras i decided to go after vulpix for the sunny day portion of the CH. I bred a 5iv female with drought and put it in with my german ditto. I collected 240 eggs, and on the 109th egg a shiny hatched. Unfortunately it had flash fire, i was kind of aggravated because the others in the group of 5 had drought. Shortly after on the 115th egg another shiny hatched this time with drought, so it all worked out and i got two relatively quick shinies. After i finish hatching the rest of the vulpix eggs, i will move on to seel to finish off the CH.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So this leads me to a question... what's the longest hunt you guys have had to endure in X and Y?
How do you put up with crazy long hunts?

You're having a heck of a time trying to get a starly and I found 3 of them in hordes while trying to get a shiny male nidoran (KOed one by accident but caught the other two. traded them off since I already had shiny staravia)

My longest X/Y hunt was probably my shiny male nidoran. It took 5 hunt phases, 2 shiny starly (I didn't reset the count after losing the first one), a stunky, and a female nidoran before the male sparkled, and the gaps between those shinies were occasionally over 4,000 hordes. Though seviper (6 hunt phases, 4 shiny wingulls and a taillow) comes pretty close. In MMing, my longest so far was my second shiny scatterbug. 1,639 eggs.

The next round for deerling has again ended shiny-less. I've already begun egg collection for the next round.

Keovix

Congratulations everyone on your shinies!

Last shiny I found was Hoothoot in the FS (Pokemon X) that was almost 8 days ago, I was focused in replaying a second used Platinum game I bought just to get in front of the Origin form Giratina, I've been SR since then (3274 SR's and counting) right now I have more SR for Giratina in Platinum than Ho-Oh in HG&SS (2900 SR's), I think my teams in both Platinum games are ok but I have the master ball just in case.

Good luck to everyone! :)

kazami

Dragon Trainer
Hey guys i'm new on this page.. Yesterday i finally got my Shiny Charm.. Right now i'm planning to MM'ing Shiny Beldum.. But before i start it i want to ask something.. Does the Masuda Method still work if i breed a american pokemon with a german pokemon? I'm planning to MM'ing by using my 5 IV american Beldum from my game with a 6 iv german ditto..

nickM

Hey guys i'm new on this page.. Yesterday i finally got my Shiny Charm.. Right now i'm planning to MM'ing Shiny Beldum.. But before i start it i want to ask something.. Does the Masuda Method still work if i breed a american pokemon with a german pokemon? I'm planning to MM'ing by using my 5 IV american Beldum from my game with a 6 iv german ditto..

Yea it will work! I use a german ditto myself aswell :)

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
So I’ve been chaining more Chanseys hoping to get a good stock of Lucky Eggs. So far I’ve gotten 5 more Lucky Eggs.

I was chaining this morning though, and my chain just sort of ended. One second the chaining music was playing, the next it was starting up the route theme. Apparently even just walking near the edge can end your chain? I knew that walking out of the grass can end the chain, and that going into a patch on the edge can end the chain, but I’ve never heard that simply walking to the edge can end it. I do it all the time in the few times I chain and it’s never happened before.

So for people who are familiar with Platinum chaining, is it a typical thing to have a chain end by walking to the edge of the patch, or is it pretty rare? It’s never happened to me before this time, though I also don’t chain much…

----------------

Haven’t hunted a ton the last couple days. Just a little bit. Mainly just wanted to post for all the other shinies people found, since it’s been a day or two since I last posted :p

Good luck, everyone!

Basically, if all the shaking patches go off-screen then your chain ends.

Anyway, congratulations on all the recent shinies!

Last night I made it up to 56 eggs hatched for Feebas, and I expect I still have a long way to go...

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys! I didn't get my beldum or Hawlucha yesterday, but I got 2 shiny Pidgey and another shiny swanna. I might just make someone's day by wonder trading all of these dup swanna, remoraid, and fraxure. Sooo many fraxure! Anyways, i am now over 1000 beldum eggs.

As for longest xy hunts:

RE: Either my absol (will worth the wait though) or Stunfisk.
MM: Honedge, but beldum is catching up quick
FS: I would say either Rufflet or Shelgon.
CF: Shellder

Anyways, let me get off of here so I can Hunt some more before work! :)

mellowrush

I'm on my way back home from a short easter holiday and I'll be able to post a wee bit more frequently thanks so a more reliable Internet connection (^_-)
I've played a little with pokemon Y, but no shinies there...Even if I had only two game sessions I was hoping for something, especially in the friend safari...
Other than that I started a badge quest in pokemon black (forgot my previous BQ in pokemon fire red at home...) and I've racked up a three hundreds worth of soft resetting for a blueish snivy... No sparkles there either...
As soon as luck struck I'll share the joy with you (can't wait for that to happen ^_^)

I'd love to congratulate everyone individually but in four/five days you've achieved like five pages of shinies (I've read all of your accomplishment, don't worry)...
With that in mind here's a comprehensive thought for each one of you shiny catcher:
Way to go! You're great :)

lucarioisawesome

Who did this to me!
so after hatching 450 venipede eggs, no shinies popped up. Im going to keep going though and now im retreving 150 more eggs ^^.
ps, this is my 1st mm

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I managed to get a 5IV Monsoon Vivillon off the GTS so I took a break from my Mawile hunt to EV train it. On my second horde I encountered a shiny Wingull. It was the second in from the left which means I saw the sparkles this time. It's female with a Lonely nature and Keen Eye. She has no 31 IVs but I'm still really happy I found her, and she didn't mess up my EV training. I'll be keeping her as a Wingull even though I do like Pelipper.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi guys, congratulations on the latest shinies (especially Lunafloon's, and welcome back!), they're great! :D

No new shiny for me, unfortunately, although I kinda expected it after a random Pumpkaboo. Yesterday, on Easter, my parents, my brother and I went at my grandmother's house to do some renovations, so I took the car trip and the time over there solely to shiny hunt. I was so expecting something that day, though, I don't know why. Ever woke up and felt lucky ? I was a little bit disapointed to see that I didn't find one, but at the same time, I made good progress in both my Shaymin and Magnemite hunt, so that's already something.
BUT, good thing is, I got and ate SOME CHOCOLAAAAAATE! :D

To answer Rotifer's question, my longest hunt in X was obviously Tangela, which I actually didn't even completed. Over a month in the Friend Safari, 7 shiny Quilladin and 3 shiny Ivysaur between but still no annoying green noodle ball. So I gave up and postpone it, planning on hunting it in Leaf Green, where its encounter rate is 100%.
My longest finished hunt in X, though, is Gastly within 471 eggs (Masuda Method + Shiny Charm). But I didn't hunt much in X, as of yet, though. :p

Last edited:

Illusione-Tempus

Congrats on the recent shinies!

You know, this Fennekin breeding is starting to irritate me. I mean, all I want is a perfect (as in, missing attack) HA female Fennekin, but what do I get? Perfect non-HAs and 5IV HAs. I already hatched at least 500 eggs, maybe?

But since I'm using my 6IV Japanese Ditto and a baby I hatched for the breeding... This is also one of the longest MM I've ever had. And I'm not even actually hunting for one.

So it's either a shiny or the one I'm seeking to pop out first from the babies... My gut tells me it'll be a shiny first.

Good luck to other shiny hunters out there.

eiger

Shiny Hunter
This is turning out to be one of my longest MM hunts so far. I stocked up 810 eggs, got about 35 left to hatch. Still no shiny Froakie.
Thing is I wont quit untill I have a Protean perfect 5IV one, so I might need to hatch a few shinies before I get that exact one :(

Illusione-Tempus, unbelievable you hatched 500 eggs and not finding one HA perfect 5IV Fennekin. I too find it frustrating when that exact one wont show up. And mostly thats the case with pokémon who should be missing Attack stat (in my experience).

Good luck to you, and all the others!

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
This is ridiculous, I'm still hunting Galvantula and the game seems to have decided that what I really want is actually 4 shiny pikachu and 2 shiny electrodes

If anybody wants a shiny pikachu, I have two for trade right now (one with static, the other with lightning rod) and I have a Raichu with static, I'll take pretty much any shiny, even if they have bad IVs

Ajduk

Just hatched 5 IV 19/31/31/31/31/31 timid infiltrator Noibat :)
Shiny team is slowly becoming a reality :)
MM after 15 eggs :)

nickM

Filled up another 11 boxes full of shinx eggs!

Let the hatching begin! xD

Takeshii

Does Shiny Charm also improve Safari chances of getting a Shiny? As in more than 1/512? It seems like a no-brainer just to do that instead of chaining or breeding since the chances or much higher. Although I suppose the limited amount of Pokemon plays a role.

Also I suppose a 6IV Shiny Pokmein is a lot more worth than a 3IV Shiny, but still sought after just because of the Shininess? I can't believe how many things you have to take into account when breeding or shiny hunting.

I would like to start doing it, but it seems I have to spend some time completing the National Pokedex.