• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

professorj15

Welp, I was looking forward to a longer hunt for once, but I'm spoiled and Tynamo shone way early for me! Awesome. tynamo.jpg

IVs are apparently: 31 / 1, 2, 3 / 23, 24, 25 / 21, 22, 23 / 20, 21, 22 / 24, 25
For a wild pokemon, pretty darn satisfying, even with the awful attack stat. Could always be a special attacker though! Basically I am super pleased with how smoothly this hunt went. And good thing I was paying attention because that would have been an easy shiny to miss.

Anyways I haven't the slightest clue what I want to hunt for next. Congrats to everyone on their shinies, and I'll send my luck to those still hunting. :)

ETA: also apparently got pokerus at some point during this hunt and never noticed. Oop.

Last edited:

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
feel sleepy when EV trainning, and almost killed shiny gulpin :D

and then find shiny wingull in another horde

congrat to everyone for your recent shinies btw

This exact thing happened to me about a month ago (both the Gulpin and Wingull).
I was EV training-came across said Gulpin. I was later looking for a Wingull to use as some random Pokemon to pass through different egg groups-came across said Wingull.

Currently, I am considering doing a MM hunt for a shiny Ralts. (I have never really seriously done this before, so I hope I stick with it.)
I am also considering hunting some more at the FS. That is where I got my shiny Aipom after all a while ago.

JohnNiles

Last week I hatched a shiny Snorunt. I was holding my breath as it hatched, hoping it wouldn't be another male. Thankfully, it was female, and I can now cross Froslass off my list. I've been using Froslass since HG/SS, but it took me a while to get around to hatching one in this gen.

I haven't hatched many eggs recently- my shoulder has been acting up, so to avoid re-aggravating it, I've dropped down to a mere 1-2 boxes a day. I got really bored so I decided to give Gen II starters a try, starting with Totodile. With only a box or two a day, it's been slow going, but this morning, when I was hatching a set of 5 eggs to put up on the GTS to get better parents, I hatched a male/female pair of twins! Seriously? Literally one after the other. They don't have identical sets of IVs, so I've chosen the better one to evolve. Unfortunately, I didn't save before collecting the eggs, so I couldn't restart and hatch them on an aquatic map, but they're starters, so I should be satisfied with Lumiose City as their birthplace.

I'm chuckling not just because of my good fortune, but because I went through so many failed attempts on the GTS to get an ideal parent. Put up 5 IV 4-egg move Totodile, receive garbage Totodile, rinse and repeat. I only just now resorted to using a foreign parent that is compatible but not the same species, so I was lucky to get IVs as good as I did. I'm finished with Totodile, so all the GTS bums who want a good Totodile for a bad one will have to find someone else to trade with.

I see Ho-ohs popping up with relatively high frequency. My own Ho-oh hunt is not going so well. I'll just have to keep at it, a bit at a time.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
So I have been away for a few months to take care of my baby daughter and after reading over 300 + pages of posts I have 2 questions about X/Y shinies.

1. Are all Legendary pokemon in X/Y locked?
2. Are the odds of finding shiny pokemon still half of what they used to be? Or at least in the Friend Safari?

And for those who still remember me from a few months back, will know that I had lost 4 shinies on my platinum game after it crashed and was on a hunt to reclaim them. Before I left I got a shiny spiritomb and Talonflame to honor my deceased shinies. I did rreclaim my Roselia before taking my break from the forums and secretly hunted my 3 other lost shinies while I was afk from serebii. I finally managed to reclaim my Torterra- Drifblim and Rampardos in the last few months so I took that as a sign to check back here and start some new playthroughs with some new huts afterwards.

So that was my story.

Congratz on all the shinies and Good luck to the hunts!

SmartD

A few minutes ago, I was in Route 10 in Pokemon X, looking for berries in I don't have yet by hitting the trees in the background, until I ran into a Shiny Hawlucha! I threw a Quick Ball at it and it was caught. This is my first Shiny I caught in Pokemon X. The Shiny Charm I obtained about a month ago really must have worked.

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on all recent shinies!

As for me, I have been IV breeding for a HA (Poison Touch) Adamant Croagunk with Bullet Punch, Drain Punch, Fake Out & Meditate.
All of the sudden I hatched a shiny. it has his HA and 4 IV: xx/31/31/31/31/xx.
My previous shiny being a Froakie, thinking I should make a shiny frog team :D. Seismitoad looks pretty badass

Good luck to everyone on you"re current hunts!

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to Burakoru on Squirtle, Zekromaster826 on Dusclops, Ajduk on Bulbasaur, Keyblade_Cub on Treecko, professorj15 on Tynamo, Blastonite on Umbreon, JohnNiles on Snorunt and both Totodile, SmartD on Hawlucha (congrats on your first shiny in X!), eiger on Croagunk, and everyone else!

-----

I bet whoever is helping you is soo awesome. =p
Sure is. Big thanks to Supremacy for willing to help me out! :p

-----

I've now finished getting the right egg moves and nature for my MM hunt on Elekid.

I wish everyone good luck!

tui

moon upon a stick
@Super Pichu Chan - When SR'ing, I usually just lie on my bed with my laptop on my knees either reading through this thread, on tumblr or watching YT stuff whilst I have my phone propped up against the keyboard (on calculator, for keeping count) and my ds in my hand! I find it easy to watch YT videos most of all - I can just flick my eyes down to the screen to see whether I've got a shiny or not!

Anyway, congrats to: Cyclone on Froakie, Lorde on Cacturne, AmazingChi on Hoppip, taufik386 on Gulpin and Wingull, Burakoru on Squirtle, Zekromaster826 on Dusclops, Ajduk on Bulbasaur, maldoror on Pancham, Sprtizee and Frillish, Keyblade-cub on Treecko x2, professorj15 on Tynamo, Blastonite on Umbreon, JohnNiles on Totodile x2 and Snorunt, SmartD on Hawlucha, eiger on Croagunk, and anyone else I missed!

I'm now at 1.5k for Cranidos. I did a lot of SRs today, which I'm happy about! I also discovered that duel SRing for this hunt just won't work - it's takes too much hand movement and concentration for me to be doing anything else at the same time, which sucks! I'd like Cranidos to shine before I go on holiday, but if it doesn't then it'll most likely become my first BQ shiny!

I've also reset over so many HP 31IV Cranidos. Everytime I see one with 63HP I melt. Out of the 2 with this I'v checked, one also had a perfect Speed IV (but terrible nature and terrible attack) and one had 30/31 Attack as well as the HP. Ah well - hoping that when Cranidos shines, that it'll be one of the ones with good IVs!

Good luck everyone!

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies still. My hunts are at, 6780 REs for my BQ in HG and 3305 REs in Platinum for Abra.

Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Cpchris on Growlithe and TheMaster327 on the bird trio. You both deserve to have them shine, since they've taken so long.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I just started my first actual MM hunt earlier, trying to get a 5 IV Jolly Trapinch. I have done 30 eggs so far, and I am collecting 2 boxes more now! Wish me luck!!

Keovix

Congratulations to varanus_komodensis on Chimchar, Kingzard on Absol, Cyclone on Froakie, Lorde on Cacturne, Lopunnybunny on Minccino and Ivysaur, AmazingChi on Hoppip, taufik386 on Gulpin and Wingull, Burakoru on Squirtle, Zekromaster826 on Dusclops, Ajduk on Bulbasaur, maldoror on Pacham, Spritzee and Frillish, Keyblade_Cub on Treecko, professorj15 on Tynamo, JohnNiles on Snorunt, SmartD on Hawlucha, master of murkrow on Talonflame, Spiritbomb, Roselia Rampardos, Torterra and Drfilim, eiger on Croagunk and everyone else on your shinies!

I just received the shiny Gible in B2 after beating the Black Tower, I did SR for the Jolly nature.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/DSCN2514_zps4c849d07.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/DSCN2515_zps6b7b3a88.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/DSCN2517_zps84bdf218.jpg

Today I'm restarting the Dialga hunt in Diamond and Platinum which was left at 502 SR's. I might do some random encounters in Pokemon B2 aswell, let's hope something shines.

Good luck to everyone on your current hunts!

hatching pokemon aaannnnddd..... Gulping appears in a horde, the only pokemon I had was talonflame and gulping ended up getting burned... caught it in a premier ball :) might nickname it if I come up with something...

geag-a

100% yuri
Congrats to everyone on the newly obtained shinies, and good luck to everyone on hunts!!

I've gotten to exactly 444 eggs for my shiny Sandslash in X, and I decided to start a badge quest on Heart Gold. I'm alternating between the two at the moment, and I'm hoping for either a Chikorita or a Cyndaquil! Though I already have all three, so I won't be disappointed in what I get. This will be my first badge quest, so I'm excited! I'm glad that the process to get your starters is so convenient in this game. I'd also like to get some of the legends in this game in shiny form too! Especially Ho-oh, I've wanted the shiny for a long time.

A question though, are any of the legends shiny locked in Heart Gold / Soul Silver? In any case, I don't think I'm going to go for shinies of the roaming dogs, since I have those from the event.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

No shiny news from me. I haven't been playing at all the past couple of days. Not been in the mood. I'll get back to my Ekans hunt soon though.

Congrats to everyone on the newly obtained shinies, and good luck to everyone on hunts!!

I've gotten to exactly 444 eggs for my shiny Sandslash in X, and I decided to start a badge quest on Heart Gold. I'm alternating between the two at the moment, and I'm hoping for either a Chikorita or a Cyndaquil! Though I already have all three, so I won't be disappointed in what I get. This will be my first badge quest, so I'm excited! I'm glad that the process to get your starters is so convenient in this game. I'd also like to get some of the legends in this game in shiny form too! Especially Ho-oh, I've wanted the shiny for a long time.

A question though, are any of the legends shiny locked in Heart Gold / Soul Silver? In any case, I don't think I'm going to go for shinies of the roaming dogs, since I have those from the event.

None of the shinies in HGSS are shiny locked.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
Recently I finished getting 4 boxes full of eggs for my Shiny Goomy hunt. I have now begun to hatch them, and I'm nearly done with my first box. Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
My capture of a Shiny Cacturne in Diamond version has inspired me to do more Shiny hunting in that game. I'm gonna use the Masuda Method to hatch a Shiny Elekid. I started the breeding last night and I have around three Boxes full of Elekid eggs. I'll hatch them tonight and then collect some more tomorrow. I also wanna attempt to Shiny hunt on my main Y version, but that'll have to wait till later.

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to
maskofsanity1998 on Gulpin, eiger on Croagunk, SmartD on Hawlucha, Master Of Murkrow on reclaiming your lost shinies, JohnNiles on Snorunt and the twin Totodiles, Blastonite on Eevee, professorj15 on Tynamo, Keyblade_Cub on Treecko, Maldoror on Pancham and Spritzee and Frillish, Ajduk on Bulbasaur, Zekrommaster826 on Dusclops, Burakoru on Squirtle, taufik386 on Gulpin and Wingull and Combee, AmazingChi on Hoppip, LoppunyBunny on Minccino and Ivysaur, Lorde on Cacturn, Cyclone on Froakie, Kingzard on Absol, varanus_komodoensis on Chimchar, Keovix on Carvanha and Poliwhirl and Basculin and Dratini, Solfatara on Chespin and Skiddo, Happy Hermit on Dratini, Cyberra on Pachirisu, I, Pink Elephant on Koffing and Goomy and Parasect, LullabyVullaby on Combee and Tyrunt, MultiDarkShadow777 on Eevee and Charmander, Supremacy on Spritzee and Weepinbell, Kelv on Pansear, mellowrush on Lampent and Stunky, Storm_Dragoon on Ho-oh, Jessara on Caterpie, Zivinolette on Poliwhirl x4, Shiny Misty on Klefki and Murkrow and congrats to anyone lese that got a shiny since my last post.
So this morning, right after I woke up, I was trying to catch a modest female Nidoran with Hustle so I could eventually try to hatch a modest shiny Nidoran male with good IVs and Hustle so I could eventually have an awesome Sheer Force Nidoking. well whilst Sweet Scenting for hordes of Nidorans I came upon this little scented fellow...
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/ShinyStunkyEncounter_zpse915698a.jpg[/IMG139]
I promptly grabbed my camcorder and KOed all of the non shiny Stunkys. AFterwards I threw a Luxury Ball and with a critical capture he was caught. I haven't named him yet since I don't have an idea for one yet. Unfortunately, since I had a Modest Synchronize Kirlia as my lead, the Stunky ended up with a Modest Nature and IVs of 10, 7, 19, 6, 8, 27. More Pictures: OT/ID, Full 3DS Shot, Video.

So I continued on my search for a Modest, Female, Hustle Nidoran which is surprisingly hard even with a Synchronizer lead. I imagine that it would be easier in X because the ratio in the horde would be four Nidoran Females and one Nidoran Male. After like five hours I was still looking for that Nidoran Female. Thus the Sweet Scenting continued and Nidoran horde after Nidoran horde (and Stunky and like three Starly hordes) when I encountered yet another Nidoran horde...
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/100-IMGA0394_zps1218a26b.jpg[/IMG139]
Oh look two Nidoran Females... wait a minute...

Actually I heard the sparkles before I saw the shiny. Yes a random shiny Nidoran Male appeared thus making my search for a Modest Nidoran Female with Hustle all for naught well... sort of. I promptly KOed all of the other Nidorans except for the imposter and with a single Dive Ball he was caught!He luckily also came with a Modest nature and IVs of 17, 4, 14, 23, 12, 30 but... no Hustle. More pictures: OT/ID, Full 3DS Shot, Video.

So now for the rest of the day I've been running around Kalos looking for hordes to see how many shinies I can get today. I might still go and hatch for a shiny Hustle Nidoran Male eventually. I find it funny that my last three shinies were while I wasn't actively hunting. Speaking of hunts, I've decided to focus on Lugia in HeartGold. I'll also be doing SRs for other targets in my other games like Registeel in Platinum but Lugia is my main focus.

Good luck everyone on your hunts and may the way of the sparkle lead to the shiny!

Last edited:

Tangeh

I just found a shiny gulpin while EV-horde training. :'D Sassy nature, sticky hold, looks like it has perfect HP IV but I haven't checked to be sure. I was EV training for HP and gulpin is the one that gives the HP EV, so I didn't even have to feed any of my pokemon berries to fix their EVs. :D :D Might be a good fish-chaining companion to go along with my shiny false-swiping sneasel (my only other random XY encounter).

ElectricBassClef

Hey all! I haven't posted in a while, so I'll limit my congrats to the last few pages. Congrats to: Supremacy on Spritzee; MultiDarkShadow777 on Eevee; LullabyVullaby on Combee; I, Pink Elephant on Koffing, Goomy, and Paras; Cyberra on Pachirisu x2; Happy Hermit on Dratini; Solfatara on Chespin; Master Leo on Litleo; Keovix on Dratini; varanus_komodus on Chimchar; Kingzard on Absol; Cyclone on Froakie; Lorde on Cacturne; AmazingChi on Hoppip; taufik86 on Wingull and Gulpin; Burakoru on Squirtle; Zekromaster826 on Dusclops; Ajduk on Bulbasaur; maldoror on Pancham, Spritzee and Frillish; professorj15 on Tynamo; Blastonite on Eevee; JohnNiles on Snorunt; masterofmurkrow on Torterra, Drifblim and Rampardos; SmartD on Hawlucha; eiger on Croagunk; maskofsanity1998 on Gulpin; Ampharos_Spark on Stunky and Nidoran; and Tangeh on Gulpin (so many Gulpin!).

Special congrats to Cyberra on FINALLY getting that Electrode and not another Klefki!

I've been doing a lot of hunting lately, and I've been working on the CH! This month's was quite opportune since I've been looking for some of the targets listed anyway; particularly, Hustle Nidoran M was a hunt that started on my Black game, long before Gen 6 even came out. I actually have both parts completed, but I got rather distracted from posting about it until now.

Helping Hand/Assist: Nidoran M, hatched 08/05/2014 (with Helping Hand as an egg move)

May's Pokémon: Eevee, caught 05/05/2014

Here's the picture proof: May Community Hunt.jpg

So, in summation: Community Hunt Complete!