• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
I feel like this hunt is just going to go on forever... 2164 SR's for my Johto starter and still nothing. 6492 total starters seen. This hunt has been REALLY testing my patience and i'm getting super inpatient. I'm almost thinking about starting a new game to get a new ID because I heard shinieness of a Pokemon has to do with your ID. Is that true? I've also hatched somewhere over 90 eggs for my Ralts hunt on Y. Still no shiny, but i'm much more patient about that hunt, considering i'm currently focusing on that one less.

Congrats on your recent shinies everyone, and good luck to everyone hunting as well!

Don't worry, many people on this forum have hunts that go over 20,000, some even over 30,000 (hope it's still going for you, Lunafloon!) and I'm sure there's several people having hunts extend over higher numbers than that.
You simply can't ever really expect a shiny, and if your patience is being tried that is probably a good thing! You've already come pretty far though so I wouldn't worry about not being able to see it out till the end :)
As for ID, it does affect shininess but it does not alter your chances, if you change your ID it will never make it more or less likely to SR a starter or anyting else.

The way I deal with long hunts is I don't push it, but try to enjoy reaching high numbers and having hunts stretch over longer periods of time. The reward becomes much better as well when it then finally shines!

Considering long hunts I want to give Shy a special congrats for getting that Torchic! Hope you're having fun with it :)
also to DarkOverlord777 on that miltank.

My condolences to you, Drakenoshi. Hope you can reclaim it some day!

Good luck to everybody, and congratulations to everyone else! I haven't decided if I shall participate in the CH for the first time, as I'm quite passionate for my other hunts at the moment, but we shall see.

Trainer ID + Personality Value + Secret ID I'm not quite sure how the hell the sum is calculated but the ACTUAL odds are 8/65536 yet in XY it's 16/65536. Keep going for it buddy and the dream will come true! Shiny Charm & A Foreign (US/UK ditto) will be your best friends if your going on an egg hunt buddy.

Well, I actually am currently using the Masuda Method+Shiny charm for my Ralts hunt, like I did with my Froakie, Chespin, and Gible hunt. So, it's pretty much the least of my worries! Y version has been really kind to me in the shinies department.

Don't worry, many people on this forum have hunts that go over 20,000, some even over 30,000 (hope it's still going for you, Lunafloon!) and I'm sure there's several people having hunts extend over higher numbers than that.
You simply can't ever really expect a shiny, and if your patience is being tried that is probably a good thing! You've already come pretty far though so I wouldn't worry about not being able to see it out till the end :)
As for ID, it does affect shininess but it does not alter your chances, if you change your ID it will never make it more or less likely to SR a starter or anyting else.

The way I deal with long hunts is I don't push it, but try to enjoy reaching high numbers and having hunts stretch over longer periods of time. The reward becomes much better as well when it then finally shines!

You know what, that's and interesting mind-set to keep in mind. I think that was the original mind-set I had in mind, I guess I just lost sight of it over desiring that shiny so much! And you know what, this is pretty good for me. If I ever want to achieve my goal of getting all of the shiny legendaries I can, then this is good for testing my patience. And I don't think i'll start a new game yet. I suppose I'll keep going at it.

Thank you both for your kind words! Good luck to you both on your hunts, as well as future hunts.

Keovix

ShyOctopus on Durant and Gulpin, Tera Force on Kyogre, TheEmeraldKnight on Aipom, Shine on Pumpkaboo, Absolutely Absol on Volbeat and Flabebe, Missingno. Master on Swirlix, Green Blockhead on Charmander, Shadowkrow on Patrat, professorj15 on Cyndaquil, Spawty on Zubat, Terra Force on Ho-Oh, Scrufox86 on Skorupi, Spawty on Tailow and Gulpin, Crimson Penguin on Sudowoodo and Piplup, Spawty on Rotom and Mienfoo, ShinyMisty on Diglett, DarkOverlord777 on Miltank, ShotgunSurgeon on Skrelp and Chimchar, Growlie19 on Frogadier, Shy on Torchic, Blastonite on Torkoal, Absolutely Absol on Smeargle, Storm_Dragoon on Sableye, Cpchris on Growlithe, Keyblade_Cub on Aron, varanus_komodoensis on Vanillite, Skorupi and Swalot, Cyberra on Honedge, rovert on Turtwig, moldoror on Shuckle, Hoothoot and Boldore, Misjie on Eevee and everyone else on your shinies!

After 18496 SR's Articuno shone in SS, I was prepared for this hunt to go over 20k, have been SR so much whenever I had free time, this is my longest hunt so far, the previous record was Lugia with 17774 SR's, brought it's HP down to 1 with False Swipe, used a mix of premier balls and great balls, finally caught it in a great ball.

Articuno has Adamant nature (was going for Timid but sync didn't work this time) and these are it's IV's

HP: 12-13
Attack: 8-9
Defense: 16-17
Sp. Attack: 18-19
Sp. Defense: 26-27
Speed: 8-9

IV's could be better but I'm just happy this hunt over, next target is Zapdos and just like Articuno I'm gonna hunt this legendary bird in FR, HG and 2 SS games.

Good luck to everyone on your current hunts! :)

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
So I’m watching MegaShinyHunter96’s stream tonight (shoutout to Shy who was there as well! And apparently pokemaster13 was there as well, though I didn’t know it was you until the stream ended :p), and I hadn’t even done 100 REs yet…I went into encounters on my Platinum and Black 2 games, and I was just getting a little weary and went to rest my head on my hand when I look down and see a beautiful yellow Shiny Growlithe! After only 3,983 REs!

Haha I figured you wouldn't know who I was, but I wanted to congratulate you anyway :p I'm pretty sure Shy didn't know who I was either. Congrats once again on Growlithe though!

But yeah, Shy, that was me who congratulated you on Torchic during Matt's stream the other day. I'm ShinyHunterJT on Twitch and YT :D

----------------

My hunts are coming along pretty well: Chimchar is at 2,870 SRs and Hitmonchan is at 1,850 SRs. Not really much else to say...

Congrats to everyone on the latest shinies and good luck hunting!

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies for me. My hunts are at 330 REs for my BQ in B2, 12255 REs for my BQ in HG, and 6650 REs in Platinum.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Cpchris on Growlithe #2 and Shy on Torchic. Also good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Lunafloon on Sandile and ChaoticInverse on Torchic. Sorry to hear about the lost Lugia, Drakenoshi. Hope you reclaim it soon.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Someone brought up SR'ing for a Shiny Shadow Pokemon in Pokemon XD.

Even if you do find a Shiny, when you purify it(i believe is when it occurs) they lose their shiny status. It's either at that stage, or when you go to transfer them to your 3rd gen game, that they lose the shinyness. It's one of them though, i know that much.

TheGreaterLucario

Someone brought up SR'ing for a Shiny Shadow Pokemon in Pokemon XD.

Even if you do find a Shiny, when you purify it(i believe is when it occurs) they lose their shiny status. It's either at that stage, or when you go to transfer them to your 3rd gen game, that they lose the shinyness. It's one of them though, i know that much.

It's impossible to get a Shiny Shadow Pokemon in XD. If the RNG would generate a Shiny, it recalculates until it lands on a result that would not produce a Shiny. In Colosseum, however, when a Shadow Pokemon is snagged, the Trainer ID is replaced with the player's. Thus, a Shadow Pokemon may appear Shiny in battle, but become normal after being snagged. HOWEVER, the opposite is also true, that a Shadow Pokemon that appears normal in battle may become Shiny after being snagged. The odds in Colosseum are the usual 1/8362 or whatever.

I'm up to 1650 eggs on my Charmander hunt, but I've had some luck while going for IVS. Last week while on vacation a shiny Bulbasaur hatched after only 14 eggs, and then this morning I was going for 6IV Honedge when it appeared on the 79th egg. I can't remember Bulba's IVs off the top of my head, but Honedge was ??/??/31/31/31/31.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
First post has been updated with July's CH (it's already July here :p)

As for me, Weedle MM hunt is still ongoing, after a week I've hatched only 375 eggs so far since I'm distracted by other things, so the hunt feels long despite having hatched only a small number of eggs :p

Good luck for everyone, and congrats for those who just got a new shiny :)

professorj15

Congrats on all of the shinies, guys!

I've been playing my way through SS since I got that shiny Cyndaquil. Was walking through the grass beneath Blackthorn today, just as I was thinking to myself, "Hmm maybe I should have grabbed a Damp pokemon just to be safe," and guess which shiny decides to grace me with its presence at that exact moment? I panicked, threw a Fast Ball instead of a Quick Ball, it jumped out and then blew itself up. Luckily, I was able to document that exact moment of failure, haha: fml.jpg

I can't lie, I'm pretty mad about it, especially since this is the first shiny I have ever lost AND since the shiny appeared on one of the older games. BUT I know that this happens to the best of shiny hunters, including many of you in this thread, so I am going to try and deal with this as gracefully as many of you have. I am going back out there with a Poliwhirl and I am reclaiming that sucker! I started SS to SR for legendaries, but I am not letting this Graveler elude me again!

Good luck everybody. :)

Jirachi Dude

No gen 4 or 5
Just broke 2000 (2042 to be exact) on my leafgreen Clefairy hunt. First hunt I'm taking seriously and I sure hope it shines soon. I think I'm gonna take a short break and hunt Ditto in Cerulean cave.

EDIT: My Clefairy hunt is going to be postponed indefinitely while I run off to find a shiny misdreavus.

Last edited:

Shy

★★★★★
Okay so just a quick update about my hunts. I'm working on Mudkip, surprise surprise. I wasn't expecting to jump right back into soft resetting in R/S so soon after my Torchic, but I just want this 'kip to shine as soon as possible. In the mean time I've been EV training my Torchic (Now a Combusken). I am keeping track of my encounters (600+) though I'm not expecting something to shine it would be nice. :)

As for the community hunt I don't think I'll be participating yet again. I have way too many hunts and Pokemon to breed right now. If it were one of the other two themes I could have MMed a certain Pokemon with the requirements, but... It can't be helped.

Again Chris, congratulations on the Growlithe! Glad I was there when it shined for you. :) Oh hey Pokemaster13! I definitely didn't know that was you. Thank you for the 'grats on Torchic! I'll be sure to remember your username if I ever see you on Twitch again. :)

Thanks again to all the 'grats on my Torchic! Congratulations to any shinies obtained since my last post! Good luck with all your hunts, especially to those who are way over the odds.

King Wulfharth

Divine Wonder...
I was in a Flying Safari hunting for a Modest Tropius when this lovely thing popped up. It has Harvest and pretty decent IVs (including 31 HP and Def). Overall I came out with something better than I went in looking for. <3 I've always wanted one too,

SN850095.jpg

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Ledyba has failed to appear in time for the June CH... All the trees that wobbled today were combees or volbeats. I'm not giving up the hunt, though... I WILL get that sucker. The shiny will not escape.

In Black 2, spinarak will be going into a seventh round of hatching. The shiny failed to appear during round 6. I'm now at 2,220 eggs hatched for this blue spider.

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
AS I WAS TYPING THAT THIS DAMN NUMEL WAS TAKING FOREVER TO HATCH IT FINALLY DID!!!WOW!!!! It's actually a bit more noticeable than I thought it was gonna be! If only this month challenge was beat the heat or whichever was hatch a pokemon with Heat Wave xD Debating on if I wanna do this months hunt. I'll decide tomorrow. Gonna hatch the rest of these eggs. Wait to DL the new Gundam Game on PS3 and go from there lol. Night everyone! Happy Hunting.

Congrats to all who have seen the shine! And Hope everyone whose hunting sees the shine soon! :D

Shabadoo

King of Mediocrity
Hahaha the Piplup hunt continues! I've lost count of my soft resets though it is my first official hunt....well I guess I gotta be patient it'll be that much sweeter when this cute penguin shines! I don't know if I should turn this into a BQ or what but good luck to everyone on their hunts and good job to those who got some shinies and to those of you who lost a shiny you have my sympathies....

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
I just got my 2nd MM shiny, and it wasn't even planned!

I was breeding my English Jolly Ekans with a German Ditto, and this came
v1mFRQ6.jpg

It took around 11 eggs, but it was completely unexpected. He came with the Jolly nature, 5IVs (missing Spd), and the ability Intimidate.

My planned MM will be Croagunk. Once I release all the Rotoms from my previous MM, I'm going to follow the same procedure. Fill up 10 boxes, then hatch them all.

Congratulations to everyone that got a shiny recently, and good luck to those that are hunting for one!

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations to Cyberra on Honedge, Absolutely Absol on Honedge, rovert on Turtwigx3 (I'd Wondertrade it, but you may not feel that's special enough :)), maldoror on Shuckle and Hoothoot, but sorry about Geodude, misjie on Eevee (realised I haven't really encountered anybody else who's hunted for Togepi, so that's interesting), Keovix on Articuno, HunterMetroid on Bulbasaur, King Wulfharth on Tropius, Blastonite on Numel (was kind of my first shiny I ever saw - my brother encountered it, saw it was blue and caught it in Ruby. No idea where it's ended up though - probably deleted) and Spawty on Ekans!

Thanks for the luck, misjie :)

Sorry to hear about that Graveller, professorj15 D:

Welp, about two hours hunting yesterday. Reached 18,115 SRs on Route 32. Kind of hoping I can get a shiny in fewer REs than SRs it took Shy for her Torchic xD

Good luck to everyone hunting!

@Cyberra It's kind of meant to this time xDD

Misjie

Shiny hunter
Congratulations to: Keovix on that amazing Articuno! HunterMetroid on Bulbasaur & Honedge, King Wulfharth on Tropius, Blastonite on Numel, Spawty on Ekans, and anyone else I might have missed!
Sorry to hear about your Graveler, professorj15 I hope you reclaim it soon!

Just a little update:
I have evolved my Eevee to a beautifull purple Vaporeon, I really like the colour scheme!
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/ReddFoxy/media/Shiny/20140701_121249_zpsdkrnmtsr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I'm training her up a bit before I continue my hunt, as for my BQ number 7. I will try for a togepi again I guess...

@Roseheart95 Togepi is my favourite pokémon :D I have a shiny already on my X file but I also want one on my Y file for the BQ :D

For the CH I want to hunt for an Absol on route 8 on my X file haven't started yet but I will start soon.

Good luck to Cyberra on the Ledyba and Roseheart95 on her route 32 hunt!
And anyone else on their hunts.
Have a nice day!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Keyblade_Cub on Aron, Cyberra on Honedge, Absolutely Absol on Honedge, rovert on all the Turtwigs, Misjie on Eevee, Keovix on Articuno, HunterMetroid on Bulbasaur and Honedge, Blastonite on Numel, Spawty on Ekans, and everyone else on your shinies!

Sorry to hear about your Graveler, professorj15 =\ It must have appeared just to spite you for thinking that >.<

Thanks, varanus_komodoensis, Roseheart95, The Prince of May, Misjie, 2rsa, Keovix, pokemaster13, Shadowkrow, and Shy :)

------------

Haha I figured you wouldn't know who I was, but I wanted to congratulate you anyway :p I'm pretty sure Shy didn't know who I was either. Congrats once again on Growlithe though!

But yeah, Shy, that was me who congratulated you on Torchic during Matt's stream the other day. I'm ShinyHunterJT on Twitch and YT :D

My mouse was hovering over your name in the chat when the stream was over, and I saw the banner of your Twitch channel when that happened and thought, “Wait, I know that shiny card!” Haha ^ ^

It was a little confusing though, since there’s also ShinyHunterJ on youtube, who I’m pretty sure was the user 201238 who used to frequent this thread :x

--------------

I spent yesterday training Growlithe, who is now an Arcanine. I squeezed in some hunting time later at night to do 100 REs and 100 SRs though. So my hunt in Mistralton Cave has officially begun ^ ^

And June has come to an end and considering I found both my Growlithes under odds, I’m going to call this month a success :D Now that I have my Arcanine, I can officially cross off another dream shiny from my list :)
[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/5qOZlJd.png[/IMG200]

I also have the video of Growlithe up! I want to say it’s better quality than the first one, but I could easily just be imagining it…

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, LullabyVullaby, Shadowkrow, ChaoticInverse, Roseheart95, Keane, HGaddict, Cyberra, and Lunafloon)!

Last edited: