• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dangertrout

Welcome to the New and Improved General Shiny Thread!
This is the place to discuss shinies you obtained in any generation, ask questions regarding shinies or participate in the community shiny hunt!​

Rules/Announcements:
*Rule #1: Limit posts to once per day or once per page. Edit additional comments into your existing post if needed.
*Rule #2: No discussion on the VALUE of shiny pokemon or methods that reduce the odds of obtaining a shiny.
Don't forget!: Exchange your FCs in the appropriate thread!
Trades go in the trade forums! There is one for each Gen. =)
*Announcement: Please VM your ideas for the FAQ to me or Shine to reduce clutter in the thread =)

-----------------------------------

Community Hunt
is on hiatus right now, but don't worry, it will be back!

-----------------------------------

FAQ:

BQ = Badge Quest (a self-imposed challenge where one must find a shiny before each gym.)
LQ = Legendary Quest (a self-imposed challenge to capture all legendaries in shiny form.)
MM = Masuda Method (breeding two pokemon from different countries to increase the chance of hatching a shiny.)
RE = Random Encounter
SR = Soft Reset
RA = Run Away (the same as SR, except instead of soft resetting the game, you run away from the Pokemon then immediately battle it again.)
HH = Horde Hunting (hunting a shiny by horde encounter. Each horde has 5 Pokemon, making the hunt slightly faster because you have 5 chances per battle instead of 1.)

CH = Community Hunt, a shiny hunt that everyone can take part in together.

Each CH is different, but there are 2 rules they all share:

1. Normally, the evolutions or pre-evolutions do not count, in the sense that if the CH asks for say, Diglett, you cannot catch Dugtrio and claim you completed the CH, you must catch or hatch a Diglett. If the CH asks for only the evolution, for example, Rapidash, you cannot catch/hatch Ponyta and claim you completed the CH, even if you evolved the Ponyta.
Basically, the form the Pokemon is in when you caught/hatched/obtained it, that's what counts for the CH.

However, note that both the basic stage and the evolution counts, as long as both can be obtained in a way that still follows the CH's requirement. For example, both Magnemite and Magneton are in HG/SS Safari, so catching either of them will count for a Safari-based CH.

2. Trades such as GTS and WT do not count for CH. The intention is for you to hunt the shiny by yourself, not get one easily from trades especially since traded shinies may be a "shinifed" pokemon instead of being obtained legitimately.

Base rate: 1/8192
Base rate with Shiny Charm: 1/2730
Breeding with MM in Gen 4: 1/1639
Breeding with MM in Gen 5: 1/1366
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm: 1/1024

Base rate in Gen 6-7: 1/4096
Base rate in Gen 6-7 with Shiny Charm: 1/1365
Friend Safari: 1/512
Breeding with MM in Gen 6-7: 1/683
Breeding with MM + Shiny Charm in Gen 6-7: 1/512

The exact chance for Dexnav hunting and chain fishing is not known yet. The chance for a regular (non UB/legend) Pokemon to show up as shiny from Wormholes in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is not known either, however from all available methods, Wormholes for regular Pokemon seems to have the highest chance for a shiny.

Note: chain fishing and Dexnav are Gen 6 exclusive, Wormholes are Gen 7 exclusive.

Bicycle item (Gen 6 or lower) / PokeRide (Gen 7) -> makes more frequent pokemon encounters
Illuminate / Arena Trap abilities -> makes more frequent pokemon encounters
Flame Body / Magma Armor abilities -> halves the steps required to hatch eggs
Suction Cups / Sticky Hold abilities -> make more bites occur when fishing
False Swipe / Hold Back move -> leaves opponent's with one HP
Super Fang move -> reduces opponent's HP by half
Sleep condition -> increases catch rate
Paralyze / Freeze conditions-> increases catch rate (less effective than sleep)
Foresight / Odor Sleuth / Soak move -> allows False Swipe / Hold Back / Super Fang to hit Ghost types. Soak in particular, changes the target's type to pure Water during the battle, thus removing all of the target's immunity/resistance caused by its original typing (for example, using Soak on a Grass-type allows you to use Spore on that Grass-type, since it is now Water-type, and using Soak on a Steel-type removes its resistance against Normal moves like False Swipe or Hold Back, since it is no longer a Steel-type Pokemon)
Static ability -> Increases the chance of finding Electric type pokemon
Magnet Pull ability -> Increases the chance of finding Steel type pokemon
Damp ability -> Prevents the opponent from exploding / self destructing
Shadow Tag ability -> Prevents pokemon from running away
Sweet Scent move / Honey item -> Attracts hordes of pokemon in Gen 6

Repel Trick:

The Repel Trick is a technique that a one can use to look for highest-level Pokémon in a specific area. You see, when you use the Repel, Pokémon that are levels lower than the level of the current leader of your party will not show up in encounters.
Let's suppose that there's a route that contains 50% of Rattata (level 2) and 50% of Pidgey (level 2-3). If you have a level 3 Pokémon lead in your party while using a repel, the repel will make sure that you do not encounter Pokémon that are lower than level 3. In this case, since all the Rattata have to be level 2, none of them can appear if your lead is level 3. However, some Pidgey can still be level 3, and thus appear under the effect of the repel with a level 3 lead. In this case, the only Pokémon that could potentially appear using the Repel would be Pidgey. It's useful for people who wish to get a shiny Pokémon specifically without the other one appearing and having a risk of phases.

Breeding with Ditto will NOT allow a Hidden Ability to be passed in Gen 5, but from Gen 6 onward, breeding with Ditto WILL allow HA to be passed.
TM/Egg Moves are passed by MALE pokemon, except in Gen 6 onward where the Egg Moves can be passed by the Female parent as well.
Hidden Abilities are passed by FEMALE pokemon, but when breeding with Ditto, Male parent can pass its HA as well.
Power Items guarantee the corresponding stat to be passed (only one power item will work at a time)
Everstone guarantees the nature to be passed (BW2 onwards only, B/W and previous Gens has 50% chance to pass)
The Oval Charm increases the rate at which you receive eggs

In Ruby / Sapphire with a dead internal battery or in Emerald, the Random Number Generator always starts in the same place. Because of this, unless you have an early shiny frame, it makes SRing in these games pretty much impossible. You can, however, keep restarting your file until you get one with an early enough frame. When picking your starter, save in front of the pokeball and SR about 50 times, and try to vary the speed at which you spam A at the beginning. If you see a shiny starter or zigzagoon/poochyena in the first battle, you have a file with an early frame and could conceivably SR pokemon throughout the game.

This thread is approved by SPP Staff

Last edited:

dan2point5

Loving the new thread! Wanna get my name on the 1st page so I can go down in history!

Managed to get my Registeel hunt to 5,050 earlier even though I said I wouldn't do any today. Just wanna get this hunt over and done with!

Best of luck everyone.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
New thread, awesome! Its day 3 of SR'ing for Mandibuzz, really hoping it will shine soon. I'm also at almost 9k encounters in route 14 on white. Good luck guys!

Dangertrout

Loving the new thread! Wanna get my name on the 1st page so I can go down in history!

Managed to get my Registeel hunt to 5,050 earlier when though I said I wouldn't do any today. Just wanna get this hunt over and done with!

Best of luck everyone.

you ARE on the first page, with Regice :p
or did you mean you want to do it every month?

If I ever finish my essay, I'll probably continue my Mesprit hunt.

dan2point5

Haha I meant just getting a post on the first page but it's nice seeing my name on the board for community hunt! Hopefully I'll be up there again in the next few days...

ohjeezitskim

MMing for a shiny Trapinch, I have 90 eggs at the moment.
And random encounter hunting for a Litwick.

I fill a box with eggs and then run around in the tower for about 45 -60 minutes

Latest shiny was a Shiny Eevee I got breeding for a modest female.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Alright, since this is a new thread I will be explaining how I got all of my shiny's.

While fishing for a Feebas (Fishing 5 times on every spot) I ran into a Shiny Carvana, a few spots later I ran into another one.
The first one was a male, and the second one was a female. I evolved the male into a sharpedo, and kept the female as a Carvana.

When I completed everything in Diamond I learned about chaining, it took me a few weeks to understand. Finally at chain 40 I was able to get
a male and a female Chattot. (Traded one away for a Manaphy.)

And just a few months ago, I needed a Vulpix out of my girlfriend her SoulSilver, and ran into a Shiny Stantler. Caught it with a masterball because she
didn't had any other Pokéballs. She said I could have it, but I only like my own shiny's with my name on it.

Now I'm currently triple hunting.

I'm hunting at the Giant Chasm Plains for shiny Delibird, Ditto, Piloswine or Metang. (Especially Metang) (Black 2)

I'm doing the Masuda Method for a shiny Taillow, I really love a green Swellow. (Black 2)

And I'm Soft Reseting for a shiny Lapras, I love that purple colour on him! (Soul Silver)

After every 1000 random encounters I will be doing 100 eggs, after the eggs I will be doing 100 soft resets.
I do multiple hunts because I hate to do the same thing all over again.

I have the shiny charm, so I hope that the 2 above hunts won't take any longer.

That's it, I wish all of you alot of luck hunting!

BJPalmer85

I have put my MM for shiny swinub on hold.

I will reset Black and start SR'ing for a shiny Oshawott. This will be my first SR attempt so I hope I get a little beginners luck

B

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Oooh, look, new shiny thread.

I'm still hunting for my 3rd White 2 badge quest shiny. I'm currently at 5687 encounters. I'm hunting in the Castelia city 'park" (or whatever it's called) I'm hoping for anything other than a shiny Rattata or Audino (since I already have them :) ).

Good luck guys.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Gooluck BJ, I'm gonna do Lapras as the community hunt, but that's not gonna be my only hunt.
Nearing the 4,000 RE's on Giant Chasm,

Tonight trying to get 400 Eggs and then gonna start my SoulSilver and then gonna do 400 SR's for the Shiny Lapras.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
I did 15 REs of Eevee this morning (16 if you count the double encounter). That's probably all I'll get done today, since I really need to focus on my research paper.

*shakes fist angrily at homework*

BJPalmer85

SR'ing for shiny Oshawott in black question. I am assuming I wont know that it is shiny until i battle Bianca for the first time correct?

B

Heres a shiny brand new shiny thread, which was needed. I to will be looked at on 'page 1'. Wel any way i like the way dangertrout has did the community hunt at the start. Anyway, my mm needs to speed up a bit, so tonight i will make a good progress on 630ish eggs (have exact number), new thread = new shinies!

Markasdarkas

Shiny Hunter!
A new thread! Very nice! Today is my day off so I am planning to soft reset Regirock all day ^.^ So far I am at 600 SR's hope i get lucky and get him today. Keep up the great work everyone!

Crimson_Blazer

Yes, a general factoid list on the front page, now how many noobs will ignore and still post the same questions over and over? Got to 1400 encounters in my nature preserve/victory road hunt. Though i did get black ops II, which will dominate my gaming for the foreseeable future, so i might only do 100-200 encounters a day for a couple weeks

Zenn of Ascension

Getting to around 2,000 encounters in Chargestone Cave, it's slow going because I'm using Static. Really want that shiny Tynamo!

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hopefully I'll be up there again in the next few days...

This. In its entirety. I want Kyogre to shine soon! Last night I made it up to 7,250 SRs and now I have done a few hundred today. One of my classes got cancelled, so I am replacing class time with Kyogre time. (Not a smart idea, but it makes me happy :p) Good luck everyone and I hope that y'all are having better luck than I am!

@Dangertrout: I LOVE the new setup by the way! :)