• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dangertrout

In terms of rules surrounding posting: I know some of you want this to be like a chat room, but that's not what this is.
Which is why I'm asking that you post your progress only once a day if you have nothing to report. Answering questions is fine. Posting extra when you get shinies is fine. Posting at 3am to say you're at 600 SRs with no shinies, and then again 5 hours later to say you're at 1,000 SRs with no shinies is not fine. Those are the posts I'm trying to get rid of. Once a day, good. More than that, bad.
I know serebii has some chatroom things, but I've never used them. Try asking one of the mods about the rules surrounding starting a chatroom, since I know nothing about them and can't really help with that. Whoever decides to take on that task, good luck and hope you get it up and running =)

I finally finished determining which pokemon I own and which I need to replace. I have too many shinies >.< I think I need to chuck some of the duplicates to make room for new species. o_O

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Okay.
And would love to take some shinies off of your hands!!! I have a Gengar I'd love to trade, that is shiny! I have some DWF for trade! Ooooohhhh! i would love to trade for a shiny! Got a Charmander or a shiny starter or anything that looks cool! A drifblim? I have lots for offer and i would enjoy getting one! Thank you!!!

Zenn of Ascension

So it's been a while since I've posted mainly because I've been busy with some other stuff and I have not found a shiny recently...until this morning!

So after a crap ton of RE (I stopped counting after like 11,000 I think) I finally found my 3rd shiny on my badge quest- Spearow! ^_^

Encounter

Summary

I was really getting bored with this hunt and had changed my hunting location about 7 times. =/ It wasn't the exact shiny I wanted but I'm glad something finally decided to shine so I can move on with my badge quest. So now I'm on to hunting for a shiny Pinsir at the game corner and feels like it's going pretty fast since I get to see 3 at a time.

I'm also at 1,700 encounters at Route 18 on my White 2 hoping for a Scrafty, Crustle or Tropius. Also congrats to KittyKitty3308, Heliotrope, AquaRegisteel, Shiny Lord, Zane Clarthy and anyone I missed on their recent shiny success.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I might do a dual hunt once in a while. (With Ruby And Black2.) Gotta find a nice route on ruby though. Any suggestions?

So guys congrats to Kitty, Helio, Aqua,Shinylord, zane and zenn. Lots of my friends getting their desired shiny, i would like to think mine would shine now too. I agree with dangertrout, there are some people abusing their 'freedom' its annoying when you wake up and go to this thread and see 3 new pages. Most being updates 'did 10 res' etc. Then to the people who get a shiny, i sometimes forget to congratulate due to spam. Anyway, i try to stick to 1 per day but sometimes 2. My current mm is at a acceptable 1500 eggs, this is uncharted territory for me now.... Gl!

x.a.x

Psychic Master
Still hunting for shiny charmander using MM & SC

I bred and hatched 1350 eggs without luck

I'll try tomorrow even when I think it won't appear

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
After a stupid number of 2773, I found the worse shiny ever. Welcome Patrat.

I wanted a Shiny Growlithe, but I got a Shiny Patrat.

=\ Ohwell, atleast a shiny...

gamer_legend

Still hunting for shiny charmander using MM & SC

I bred and hatched 1350 eggs without luck

I'll try tomorrow even when I think it won't appear

You know after the whole shiny Manaphy thing I'm thinking there really is no mountain you can't conquer x.a.x

After a stupid number of 2773, I found the worse shiny ever. Welcome Patrat.

I wanted a Shiny Growlithe, but I got a Shiny Patrat.

=\ Ohwell, atleast a shiny...

I love the fact the most disappointing encounter is the shiny patrat instead of the countless regular patrat and growlithe you met on the way. ;-) Hang tough Dylan.

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Does this mean you'll be changing routes now dylz?

Congrats on latest but also commiserations!

Also.... ((16 days to go ;) ))

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Still not switching routes, I'll stay there. Patrat has the lowest percentage to encounter, just like koffing. And still I got them both shiny. (Wish I had that luck with the Metang... That I still don't got.) Growlithe shouldn't be that hard.

shinny

Latest shiny <3
Oh Spiritomb is a damn nice shiny :D Congrats :D
Up to 1800-1900 SR on my Regirock hunt and yet it refuses to shine :x

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Hm, I saw a OW shiny Haxorus straight away when i got to Nature Preserve, then a shiny Noctowl at the grass straight after with 794 encounters.... o_O WOW that place should be called Shiny Preserve XD I named my shiny Noctowl as Amaroho - Amarilyo + Roho/Yellow and red in Spanish nya~

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Isn't haxorus ALWAYS shiny in the preserve?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
In terms of rules surrounding posting: I know some of you want this to be like a chat room, but that's not what this is.
Which is why I'm asking that you post your progress only once a day if you have nothing to report. Answering questions is fine. Posting extra when you get shinies is fine. Posting at 3am to say you're at 600 SRs with no shinies, and then again 5 hours later to say you're at 1,000 SRs with no shinies is not fine. Those are the posts I'm trying to get rid of. Once a day, good. More than that, bad.

^
everyone, please read that.

If any of you are still posting unnecessary progress reports, I might start counting them as SPAM and delete them.

If I recall correctly, there was a shiny club in the past that got closed because of all the SPAM. You want this one to get closed as well?

Isn't haxorus ALWAYS shiny in the preserve?

Yes, it is :)

Kyle Clarthy

Thanks for those who congratulated me, guys!

And congrats on the Lugia, AquaRegisteel, the Spearow, Zenn, and the Patrat, Dylz. Patrat ain't a bad shiny, so be happy!

I caught another shiny, like about two hours ago!!! It appeared after 602 encounters on Victory Road. I always wanted to get one, and I've hatched for it in Black and White, and also tried to encounter for it, but had no success, and then on another occasion I got a different shiny to shine instead.

After I EV trained and evolved Skorpios, I went to Victory Road with a new target in mind, and hunted as much as I could last night before I felt too tired. So, I put the game in sleep mode, and started hunting again the next morning. Nothing appeared, so I saved the game and resetted it. After around 45 minutes of encounters, I was thinking I should probably get up soon, and wasn't really looking at the screen when I heard that familiar noise. It literally startled me because I wasn't prepared for it or even thinking about it, so I kind of jumped.

It was a female, and the nicknames I had in mind were for a male, so I had to try and find something that fits and also something I'm happy with.

1000814a.jpg

1000815g.jpg

1000816s.jpg

So, yeah, I'm quite happy, for sure. I've already started collecting eggs for my next hunt. I can only collect 60 of them before my boxes are filled, though. After that, I will probably do the CH. Finally. And then I should either need to hunt something else I've always wanted, or really need to start on a new game in my backlog and have a bit of a break from Pokemon. I mean, not a long break, but I need to focus on other games sometimes, because otherwise they're neglected.

StingrayKurt

Wow congrats Zane you have been quite the shiny assassin this weekend!
As for me I'm almost done hatchingnthe rest of my snover eggs then I'm off to my next hunt..... Kyurem! Wish me luck that it's a really quick one!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
I found a pretty dang cool video you guys should ALL check out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9S0nVuS_t4

I know the uploader... he's pretty happy right now!

:D

Congrats...When I first read that, I thought you actually "knew" the uploader to know how happy he was...Kinda slow on that one X]

Congrats on the other shinies too; Noctowl, Cottonee, and Patrat are the ones I can recall, but any others as well...And I agree on the Patrat, would be a pretty disappointing shiny if I ever got one. But hey, I'll still accept *1* wild shiny Patrat encounter if I catch it. Good luck with Growlithe; I'd like one as well! Hope you don't end up with another Patrat instead >_>

Good luck on everyone's hunts.

EDIT:
Updated rules in OP for clarity:
*Rule #1: Keep the number of posts per page at a reasonable number. (Ideally, one post per page that you edit with additional comments)
*Rule #2: Limit posts that are only progress updates to once per day (unless you got your shiny after your update)
*Rule #3: No discussion on the VALUE of shiny pokemon or methods that reduce the odds of obtaining a shiny.

As for the spam discussion: there is a simple way to avoid spamming, even by accident. Post once on a page, and then EDIT it whenever you want to add something. Then no one can accuse you of spamming, and you can update your progress as much as you like as long as it's in ONE post on a page.
The edit button is located at the bottom right of your post.

Now, a mod has spoken on the issue already, and I've clarified the rules accordingly. We are not changing the rules, so there is nothing more to say on this topic. If you have more comments on what constitutes spamming or why you think you should be allowed to spam, don't post it here. You can VM me your concerns instead.

Now as much as I understand the whole editing thing instead of adding more posts...How many people REALLY scroll up/click on previous pages to look for edits?

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Here are a couple ideas:

1) A chatbox for shiny hunters
2) Blogs (So everyone could update their own blogs, and their friends will see the updates and even might to comment.)
3) Let the spam continue, and let the completed community hunts be PM'ed to Dangertrout
4) Or don't spam at all.

Gonna continue my hunt for growlithe, currently on 100 random encounters.

dan2point5

Honestly, the current rules are fine as they are. People have definitely been abusing it lately and for a mod to come in and warn us about a possible thread closure should be the catalyst for people to calm it down a bit. It's not imperative to inform everyone about a few hundred unsuccessful RE's every hour or so. The main focus of this thread, I believe, is to share in completing our hunts, encourage people who have gone over the odds and maybe have a one off daily update on how your hunts are going.

That being said I still haven't continued on my BQ this week. Thought I'd be feeling better but with that and working a lot I've had no time.
Congrats to Zenn on 2 shinies in 2 days and well done to everyone else. Here's hoping Sunday can be lucky for everyone.