• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
Going strong with my dex, at 415. I wish I could just transfer my completed dex over from White >.< Plan on hunting for Kyurem, Latias and Terrakion as starters. Good luck everyone!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I wa blessed with a short MM hunt once.Never happened again.I got most of my MM shinies @ 1000+ eggs.>_<

The only time MM gave me a shiny in a short amount of time, was when I did not aim for a shiny ._.

I was breeding my female Serp with my only Smeargle (which happens to be Japanese) on Black, because I want to get a female Snivy into my Black 2......egg #25, a shiny Snivy O_O

All my other MM so far ends up giving me a shiny after more than 200 eggs.....Squirtle even takes around 3000 eggs and around a month of hunting, if I recall correctly. And the worse part is, Everstone didn't work on it, got Lonely instead of Modest -_- (it was before B2/W2, so I was MM-ing on Black, which means Everstone does not gives 100% chance of passing the Nature)

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Decided to go for the Round Charm. I started trying to complete my dex a while back and never finished, but Azurill hatch so quickly that I find myself often with an empty party, bar my Volcarona. The only Pokemon left for my dex are Tropius, Toxicroak, and the Tyranitar line, so I'm going to go scour the GTS later. In related news, I'm up to 78 eggs on my Azurill hunt, and hatched through the rest of my Rotom eggs whilst hunting. No shinies there, though.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Just got my 2nd Shiny Totodile >.> I guess Cyndaquil is gonna play hard to get. This time the Totodile is Serieus natured. And male. Ofc. My Calculator has 970 SRs on it, but I looked first to my heartgold so I'll count it as a 969 SR.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I'm almost in tears right now.
I just SR'd over a Shiny Chikorita.
I even saw it too, sniff.

=\ It sucks to see it to late. I lost 2 Shiny's because of that. DW, when you reclaim her/him you will be super happy!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, there is the shiny charm in B2/W2 which has a 300% chance greater at finding shinies. Also soft reseting for legendaries/starters too.

Congrats on all the shinies guys!!

I've done 1284 REs for my 3rd SS BQ Pokemon, including 150 headbutted trees, which produced about 70 or so Heracross. Heracross would me first shiny choice, but since it's seems to take forever to headbutt, and the rain makes the battle longer, I think I'll just stick to random encountering. Right now I'm on route 36, hoping for a Nidoran, although I wouldn't be disappointed by any shiny on the route, but since I've already got Quilava on my team, vulpix is the least wanted. I'm also considering moving back to dark cave, or slowpoke's well, as a zubat qould be a terrific shiny too, and I'd love Geodude too.

I've also hatched 30 eggs on my B2 for the community hunt. My Sneasal hunt was a dud last month, where I hatched over 900 eggs before I got bored and started this BQ, so I'm hoping for better luck this time.

Have you turned Battle Scene off? This means the rain animation doesn't appear, and the animations for the pokemon don't happen. It takes less than 15 seconds to do one RE, which is a large improvement in a way. Also explains the large amount of REs I used to be able to do.

Anyways, up to 400 REs for Wooper now. I swear changing the DS clock to 8PM and REing between 8PM-4AM is making hunts a lot shorter...
350 in Virbank too, hoping that Magnemite shines. One of my favourite shinies too.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
I'm almost in tears right now.
I just SR'd over a Shiny Chikorita.
I even saw it too, sniff.
Aww, sorry to hear that darkdrapion T_T. I've been worrying about that loads lately for my own SR hunts; the other night I dreamt I was SRing on my 3DS for Kyurem and he shone, but then I SRed over it. I was really upset but then I woke up and realised it was a dream...you still feel like you might accidentally do it for real if you're not looking properly before it happens though. I hope you'll be able to reclaim it soon!

Congrats Aqua, Helio, JohnNiles and RaichuArcanine on Hoothoot, the very lucky quick Gothita and Eevee, Bulbasaur and Chikorita! :3

Now on 2650 SRs for Kyurem. I'll do some more today and maybe do some more SRs for Groudon too; I'm not feeling too great and I'm not gonna get much else done anyway, bleh.

Good luck everyone~

dan2point5

Happy New Year guys and gals!

I haven't posted in ages but that's only because I haven't been hunting at all. Massive congrats to everyone who got a great shiny over the festive period and New Years.

Today I'm gonna continue hunting for my game corner Abra and I may dual hunt something else on another game but I haven't decided yet. Good luck to everyone!

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Since I feel like I had terrible luck with geodude, and I had a bad sign of some sort while I was hunting it, I decided to switch for better odds and a better shiny. I'm MMing yanma for Whitney now, which means this is the 4th thing I have tried for this badge. I have been hunting for this badge for 2 weeks now, and yanma for a day. I have nearly 120 eggs hatched now, and I will continue to hatch more today and until I find one xP

Callie-Rose

daydreaming ~
goddamnit, I JUST ENCOUNTERED A SHINY RAYQUAZA, but I accedentally fleed from it after it killed my Smeargle ARFGHGHJHGHGJHG

question is, will it re-appear (shiny?) if I beat the E4?!? does anyone know the answer? >.< god damn I am such a klutz...

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
goddamnit, I JUST ENCOUNTERED A SHINY RAYQUAZA, but I accedentally fleed from it after it killed my Smeargle ARFGHGHJHGHGJHG

question is, will it re-appear (shiny?) if I beat the E4?!? does anyone know the answer? >.< god damn I am such a klutz...

I am pretty sure it will not reappear shiny (and if it is gen 3, at all). Sorry :(

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Hey all,

Quick update - I'm working my way towards the shiny charm after hatching my 1,200th Zorua egg with no shiny to show for it.

I feel like my Black 2 isn't as generous with its shinies as my White cart was. But that's hopefully what the shiny charm will accomplish.

Good luck to all - I hope you get your long awaited (or quickly hatched) shinies!! Wish me luck on the shiny charm!

Callie-Rose

daydreaming ~
I am pretty sure it will not reappear shiny (and if it is gen 3, at all). Sorry :(

I was hunting for it on HG, if that makes any difference. goddamnit. :'(

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Currently on 600 SRs for the Johto Starters.. Again. I really hope Cyndaquil is gonna be the next one to shine. I really want to finish all of my games. :x

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I was hunting for it on HG, if that makes any difference. goddamnit. :'(

I don't know of anyone brave enough to kill or flee from a shiny legend. However I know that if you save a game while hatching a shiny egg it stays shiny. Perhaps the same effect is true with legendaries.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
I don't know of anyone brave enough to kill or flee from a shiny legend. However I know that if you save a game while hatching a shiny egg it stays shiny. Perhaps the same effect is true with legendaries.

I'm sorry to say I don't think so. Shininess is determined upon encounter with a wild Pokemon, but when hatching eggs it's determined upon collecting the egg. So if you've collected it, saved, hatched and it was shiny, and then turned off and hatch it again, it will still be shiny.

Callie-Rose

daydreaming ~
It was an accident! I didn't realise he had killed my Smeargle, so I just tapped the screen to attack, when I realised I had accidentally hit run away instead of sending out a new pokemon >_> oh well, I downloaded a shiny Rayquaza of the gts, so I guess that's good enough for me! <3 My first shiny of this year! but last year was the year of the dragon, haha. Well, Rayquaza is kinda snake-like, but it looks more like a chinese dragon, so I say it still counts :)

Well, I'd like to wish everyone a happy new year, and good luck with all the shiny hunts, hope you don't get as unlucky as me! I think I'll put SR hunts on hold now, and start to MM for a shiny feebas, as this year is the year of the water-snake or something like that in the chinese calendar :) and there's no way to run away from an egg hunt, haha.

Dangertrout

in HG if you kill a legend it will reappear after beating the E4, but it won't be the same as the one you killed. you'll have to SR it again. it should still be SRable though, if that helps at all

sunnygowing

Getting there...
While trying to get a Gligar to appear in the Hidden Grotto on Route 23, I found my 1st ever shiny!
I DON'T CARE THAT IT'S AUDINO, I CARE THAT IT'S SHINY!

Though I have just realised I'm roughly 4x more likely to encounter Gligar in the HG than finding a shiny!

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
I sat down and totalled up my shiny catches for 2012; altogether I caught 25 new shinies in the last year. I need to update my banner.

11/01/12- Lillipup (Black, RE)
16/01/12- Herdier (Black, RE)
23/01/12- Vullaby (Black, RE)
29/01/12- Rufflet (Black, MM)
12/03/12- Tepig (White, MM)
14/03/12- Timburr (Black, RE)
36/03/12- Pidove (White, RE)
01/04/12- Woobat (White, MM)
02/05/12- Solosis (White, RE)
08/06/12- Budew (Platinum, RE)
15/07/12-Chatot (Diamond, MM)
16/07/12- Roselia (Diamond, RE)
18/10/12- Audino (White 2, RE)
30/10/12- Herdier (White 2, RE)
30/10/12- Raticate (White 2, RE)
31/10/12- Cresselia (White 2, SR)
05/11/12- Regice (White 2, SR)
08/11/12- Kyurem (White 2, SR)
16/11/12- Throh (White 2, RE)
18/11/12- Minccino (White 2, RE)
19/11/12- Heatran (White 2, SR)
22/11/12- Mesprit (White 2, SR)
25/11/12- Patrat (White 2, RE)
25/11/12- Deerling (White 2, RE)
25/11/12- Swadloon (White 2, RE)

Considering White 2 gave me half of them, all hail the shiny charm! I barely touched a Pokémon game during December, but I started level grinding my Kyurem, Cresselia and Unfezant to waste time on New Years Eve. I just finished getting Cresselia to L100 and while I didn't find any shinies, it did get me back into the feel of things.

I'm tentatively going to go for the Muskedeers now. I'm back in front of Terrakion in my White 2 (five hours SR'ing done before I went on my break) and once I get things sorted, I'll head to Cobalion in my Black.

Congrats on all of the new shinies caught since I last posted. :)