• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I'm putting all my hunts on hold and slowly catching pokémon to trade to my black 2. I'm gonna make a living shiny dex, for when Pokémon X & Y comes out. I will transfer them all to do like a 84% completion of the dex. or so.

One thing I actually want to know is, is it possible to transfer from the DSi to a 3DS? I don't own a 3DS. Otherwise I have to buy 2 of them.

and another question, if I trade the MM Eggs with no shiny pokémon in them to my black 2, will I have a new chance to find a shiny in those eggs?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Congrats to everyone who got a new shiny, especially MimeSenior for the first caught shiny, and Delusion for the four shinies in a day, that's awesome ;)

Now.....

One thing I actually want to know is, is it possible to transfer from the DSi to a 3DS? I don't own a 3DS. Otherwise I have to buy 2 of them.

and another question, if I trade the MM Eggs with no shiny pokémon in them to my black 2, will I have a new chance to find a shiny in those eggs?

1. Should be possible, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

2. Yes. It's basically the same trick people use to obtain Shiny Manaphy, and it is also the reason why a Dragon Year Event Egg traded to another game won't hatch into a shiny even though the event is supposed to give you a shiny egg.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Congrats to everyone who got a new shiny, especially MimeSenior for the first caught shiny, and Delusion for the four shinies in a day, that's awesome ;)

Now.....

1. Should be possible, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

2. Yes. It's basically the same trick people use to obtain Shiny Manaphy, and it is also the reason why a Dragon Year Event Egg traded to another game won't hatch into a shiny even though the event is supposed to give you a shiny egg.

Awesome, I might just MM some eggs in white 2, if all of the eggs will fail I just trade them to my black 2. :3 I'll continue my Charmander hunt then. + I should make something to progress my hunts on xD

Will the eggs still have the masuda method odds?

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

I'm not sure about the odds, the only thing I know is that any shiny lock is removed (this allows the Manaphy Egg to hatch into a Shiny Manaphy), and the thing that determine their shiny-ness is recalculated using the new trainer's data (hence why the Dragon Year Egg hatches into a normal Pokemon instead of a shiny, as the new trainer's data is different than the trainer who downloaded the egg)

ChipperDipper

Shiny Hunter
I'm nearing the 3,000 mark (and by that I mean 2814) on my magnemite hunt~
Congrats on everyone's shinies!
And Good Luck on everyone's hunts!

Last edited:
Awesome, I might just MM some eggs in white 2, if all of the eggs will fail I just trade them to my black 2. :3 I'll continue my Charmander hunt then. + I should make something to progress my hunts on xD

No, they won't.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all recent shinies, especially City! :) Still going on the community hunt with 812 eggs for Azurill so far. Things have been pretty busy this month, so I haven't been hunting much. To be honest I thought it would shine by now, but oh well. I may not get a shiny in January this year, but we'll just have to wait and see... Good luck to everyone hunting! :)

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I'm so very jealous right now.O-O
Congratz on all the new shinies specially City's.O-O
When will my shiny drought end? XD
Anyways,I'm @ 1055 HRs for Volcarona.
Good luck mina! ^-^

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
Wow, congrats on the shinies everyone.

Update on my Rufflet hunt - almost at 300 eggs hatched, got a few more Rufflet with good IVs in Attack and Speed but still no shiny yet. *Keeps trying*

EDIT: 326 hatched, no shiny yet. Beginning to get very tedious, but I'm keeping at it. Stopping for the night though, will continue when I get home tomorrow afternoon, in between doing homework/coursework. Just hope a shiny hatches soon.

Last edited:

Shiny Lord

600 Lotad eggs hatched now with the shiny charm! Would be nice if it came in the next 300.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Hunting in SS for a Cyndaquil... but not through Sr, through MM! I hated SR! Blech!
Haven't posted on this thread in a while; congrats to shiny finds that I missed! XD

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, so much luck going around lately! An unexpected Pidgey and Tranquil, and City's 4 shinies in one day!

But now, even more luck(?)! So, I decided to start a fishing hunt yesterday on Route 1 for a female Feebas, and I brought a male Cute Charm pokemon to help. After some time, and only 102 RE's in fishing spots, my third shiny within these past seven days appeared! Cute Charm worked, but that's where my luck ended. Despite the overall 70% encounter rate for Feebas and Milotic in fishing spots, a shiny Basculin decided to appear:
Basculin-B_zps98296c11.jpg

Brave nature, and luckily Rock Head to stop it from KO'ing itself with Double Edge recoil. It was also only level 40, so it couldn't suicide with Final Gambit. At the least, I'm utterly shocked by a third shiny within seven days! If I get one more today, I'll totally freak out. Still, I'm quite bummed by the fact that it had to be Basculin, against the odds, but since I'm using Black 2, at least it's the blue-striped form, my favorite of the two.

Meanwhile, I have 1700 RE's in Route 213, still hoping for Wingull the most. Now a question: should I still keep trying for a female Feebas, despite how tedious it gets to hunt in fishing spots? I know Basculin is only a 30% encounter, but I'd rather not risk a duplicate. Or should I just go MM and hope the 50/50 gender ratio is in my favor without help from Cute Charm, with maybe a few egg moves?

Last edited:

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Wow, so much luck going around lately! An unexpected Pidgey and Tranquil, and City's 4 shinies in one day!

*cough* And an unnoticed shiny Golduck X3
Jokes aside!

Now a question: should I still keep trying for a female Feebas, despite how tedious it gets to hunt in fishing spots? I know Basculin is only a 30% encounter, but I'd rather not risk a duplicate. Or should I just go MM and hope the 50/50 gender ratio is in my favor without help from Cute Charm, with maybe a few egg moves?

I personally say MM it, to avoid the duplicate, though at only 30% chance of Basculin maybe you could try fishing for it again if you really want a female. It depends how much the gender really matters to you, but all in all I say MM :)

Whilst I'm here, small update! Snivy is still going extremely slow but it's at least going! 396 SR's now, going to PUSH to get 500 by the time I go bed but it's already 12:03am so I better hurry!
As for Platinum, I haven't touched it yet today. I actually have a question for those willing to answer! I'm hoping mostly for a Shinx for my first badge shiny, but I don't really have anything on the first few routes except Bidoof who I can't avoid at this point of the game anyways... So here's the question. Shall I RE at Route 203 and risk finding a shiny Abra, who 1. Has a shiny form that doesn't look very noticeable (though I haven't seen it in game) and 2. Could Teleport away so I'll probably have to use my only Master Ball
OR, shall I stay at Route 202 and have a slightly lower chance at finding Shinx at Day/Night, plus a higher chance of finding Bidoof, and also no Abra or Zubat (2 shinies I want), but I won't accidently run from a shiny Abra or have one Teleport away in case I mess up with the Master Ball?

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
*cough* And an unnoticed shiny Golduck X3
Jokes aside!

Aw, and I read that too. That's why I shouldn't try checking threads late at night. :p

I personally say MM it, to avoid the duplicate, though at only 30% chance of Basculin maybe you could try fishing for it again if you really want a female. It depends how much the gender really matters to you, but all in all I say MM :)

Well, when you mention how much I care for the gender...I'd much rather have a male Feebas than even 1 shiny Basculin. I think I'll go for MM, though whether or not I start now or do a different RE to simplify dual hunting, I haven't decided yet. Probably going for another RE.

Whilst I'm here, small update! Snivy is still going extremely slow but it's at least going! 396 SR's now, going to PUSH to get 500 by the time I go bed but it's already 12:03am so I better hurry!
As for Platinum, I haven't touched it yet today. I actually have a question for those willing to answer! I'm hoping mostly for a Shinx for my first badge shiny, but I don't really have anything on the first few routes except Bidoof who I can't avoid at this point of the game anyways... So here's the question. Shall I RE at Route 203 and risk finding a shiny Abra, who 1. Has a shiny form that doesn't look very noticeable (though I haven't seen it in game) and 2. Could Teleport away so I'll probably have to use my only Master Ball
OR, shall I stay at Route 202 and have a slightly lower chance at finding Shinx at Day/Night, plus a higher chance of finding Bidoof, and also no Abra or Zubat (2 shinies I want), but I won't accidently run from a shiny Abra or have one Teleport away in case I mess up with the Master Ball?

To answer your question, I'm not a fan of taking risks, but I know Aqua managed to succeed there without a shiny Abra interference. If you want Shinx in Route 202, try to trade over a Static pokemon to increase its encounter rate. Though if you really want to minimze an encounter with Bidoof, I also understand, since it makes it tough to choose later routes without risking a duplicate. In that case, when you RE, keep the volume up, so you can at least hear the sparkles. If I recall correctly, though, Arena Trap may also be able to stop Teleport too, so you could save the Master Ball if you can use that. Not quite sure on that one, though.

Last edited:

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
My first shiny was something in the victory road of firered, might have been a machoke or geodude, not sure, and I thought it was like a glitch or something. I would have caught it but....maybe I fainted it? Don't really remember.

Anyway my first shiny I caught was a pachirisu in diamond version! It was really cute and purple and all....but that diamond version is long gone. Then I found a shiny marowak in my white version, and caught it...but also eventually lost white version. I know, I stink...lol :p. But yeah at least I found them....and I'm hoping to get a shiny eevee through MM, I'm at 58 hatched now (not a lot compared to usual end result, I know, but still a LOT for me :p)

Last edited:

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Aw, and I read that too. That's why I shouldn't try checking threads late at night. :p
To answer your question, I'm not a fan of taking risks, but I know Aqua managed to succeed there without a shiny Abra interference. If you want Shinx in Route 202, try to trade over a Static pokemon to increase its encounter rate. Though if you really want to minimze an encounter with Bidoof, I also understand, since it makes it tough to choose later routes without risking a duplicate. In that case, when you RE, keep the volume up, so you can at least hear the sparkles. If I recall correctly, though, Arena Trap may also be able to stop Teleport too, so you could save the Master Ball if you can use that. Not quite sure on that one, though.

It's fine! Late night forum reading does that to me sometimes!
And gee, thank you! For whatever reason I never even thought about using Arena Trap/Shadow Tag! I already have a Static Flaaffy to use but it never occurred to me that as long as I switch in a Dugtrio or something that I can stop it Teleporting, though I'll still use a Masterball if Struggle becomes a problem. I'll definitely search on Route 203 now! Just gotta take extra care to inspect it carefully whenever I encounter one!
Good luck on your Badge Quest too btw, your currently searching in the same area as I plan to for your 5th shiny XP

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
hey everyone just got my shiny shukle after 949 eggs :)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Wow everyone, thanks on all the gratz, really means alot. :] It seems my luck has cooled off for now. I'm at nearly 1200 eggs for Miltank and over 2k encounters at Abundant Shrine, its pretty risky hunting here since I already got 4 shinies in this area but hopefully Bronzong shines! Gratz on Golduck, Basculin, Shuckle and that random Tranquil! and good luck everyone.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
Congrats on the Shuckle !jirachi! and good luck with your hunts City (hopefully the 4-shinies-in-a-day luck will come back for you). :)

Getting up to 350 or 360 eggs hatched on Black 2, no shiny Rufflet yet. Filling up my PC boxes rather quickly though, so will probably start releasing some of the 300+ Rufflet I have stored at the moment. That shouldn't affect my hunt if I start releasing the non-shiny ones, right?