• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Bramble

It's been a really long time since I posted here. Have been doing a bunch of hunting, but no shinies. :/ My White 2 file passed the odds without a shiny.

Congrats to all those shinies that have been found! I've been reading all your posts about them. ;)

ChipperDipper

Shiny Hunter
Stopping for the night with 6450 Magnemite encounters! That's almost 900 today!

ShoesThief

Thief of Shoes
Went to the Bug Catching contest in HG for a scyther. Caught one and tried going for a male. Ended up finding my first shiny which turned into a caterpie! So now I have a shiny butterfree on my HG team!

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
I'd like to congradulate everyone on there recent shinies!

Sill procrastinating on my SS BadgeQuest, and still getting that Shiny Charm in White 2

DittoPokemon97

Master of the Ditto
Hey everyone! New member to Serebii Forums but I've browsed through them a lot. Just wanted to say congrats to every single one of you on here that have gotten shinies! Im currently hunting in Black 2 at the Village Bridge and just hit 425 random encounters. I'm really hoping to get a shiny Zangoose but I'll take whatever comes. Here is to hoping that everyone here gets there shinys and soon!

Shiny Lord

Just a suggestion but you could use the repel trick in the dark grass at Village Bridge to make only Zangoose and Seviper appear if you have a level 43 pokemon at the front of your party. I got my shiny Zangoose this way.

Hey everyone! New member to Serebii Forums but I've browsed through them a lot. Just wanted to say congrats to every single one of you on here that have gotten shinies! Im currently hunting in Black 2 at the Village Bridge and just hit 425 random encounters. I'm really hoping to get a shiny Zangoose but I'll take whatever comes. Here is to hoping that everyone here gets there shinys and soon!

DittoPokemon97

Master of the Ditto
Just a suggestion but you could use the repel trick in the dark grass at Village Bridge to make only Zangoose and Seviper appear if you have a level 43 pokemon at the front of your party. I got my shiny Zangoose this way.

Thanks for the tip but I feel more comfortable having my lvl. 100 Smeargle with Spore and False Swipe up front. I know that it leaves more up to chance but it makes me feel better knowing I don't have to waste a turn switching.

SharpedoX

Treinador Áureo
Question: In random wild encounters, does Synchronize (fainted Munna, for instance) stack with Illuminate?

I'm SR for eggs now. Not that confident but we'll see. Lost the track of eggs sadly!

Scrufox86

Oh wow! (well i was hoping i could hatch it for last months CH but just missed out....) I hatched a shiny Cleffa and although i missed last months CH it is mostly pink so it can count for this month! Wow. Community hunt complete! and it is my first CH i've done too so thank you Cleffa you really are a star!

Edit - oh and just for information i did collect the egg on the 31st Jan but hatched it on the 2nd Feb so it was a bit annoying not getting to it in time for last month but as it fits the theme of this months CH too i am pleased.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Oh wow! (well i was hoping i could hatch it for last months CH but just missed out....) I hatched a shiny Cleffa and although i missed last months CH it is mostly pink so it can count for this month! Wow. Community hunt complete! and it is my first CH i've done too so thank you Cleffa you really are a star!

Congrats :)

QUESTION: How do you guys and gals keep count on the number of eggs? You just deposit them on the PC until it's full or something?

nickname the hatched Pokemon with their number. The first one that hatched is 001, the second one is 002, and so on. I don't have enough space in my PC, so I just go with the "hatch 5 then release" routine. However, I do have 1 empty spot in my box reserved for the last hatched Pokemon, just in case I want to stop hatching for a while.

Question: In random wild encounters, does Synchronize (fainted Munna, for instance) stack with Illuminate?

Only the lead has its ability activated, and since the lead is Munna, only Munna's Synchronize will work.

Charizard would not count because it has to be evolved to that stage. However, having just looked at the BW2 sprite for Charmander, I do see a red mouth. So it could count for the CH if you wish. (Personally I'd prefer everyone pick targets that have a decent amount of pink or red, but the rules do say "any" amount, so I'll let it slide)

On the topic of Linoone, I stared at it until my eyes bled, it really looks orange to me. Maybe a reddish brown... but not red. sorry :(

And the flame on the tip of Charmander's tail is red (and yellow).
So yeah, Charmander should be counted for the CH.

As for Linoone, I already said it as well, but seems like people missed it :p

I think I will grab a Linoone or a Solrock. Probs a Linoone, cuz he's boss.

if it's for the CH, I think you can only pick Solrock. I don't think Shiny Linoone has red at all, it looks more like brown with gold eyes.

Shiny Lord

After 514 eggs with the shiny charm shiny Squirtle hatched. It's male and has careful nature and is very finicky. Can't upload a picture of it because I think the camera has gone on my macbook cause it says no camera detected on my imovie and iphoto. Now I have all the Kanto starters shiny. I think I'm going to go for cyndaquil next because it is the last of the johto starters I need shiny.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I'm lovin' February so far! After only 526 encounters a shiny Stantler appears in my white version.

yesdear_zps8d00c3ab.jpg

Its not Bronzong but Stantler has been on my want list for awhile so its great that I finally have one. :] So now I'll be going into round 3 at Abundant shrine for Bronzong.. hopefully this doesn't end up being like my female combee hunt when I get every other shiny except the one I want the most lol. Anywayz, gratz on the shiny Squirtle and Cleffa and good luck everyone.

Shiny Lord

Congrats on Shiny Stantler! It looks like a really amazing shiny.

Demysta

So after transferring my shiny Chikorita from my Heart Gold to my Black version, I decided I would restart my Heart Gold file to try to get another of the shiny starters. Turns out that along with a decently workable nature that Chikorita has REALLY amazing IVs (three of them are between 28-31, no low numbers), so its on my list of Pokemon to EV. After one two hours' worth of SRing on the new Heart Gold file, I got my starter... ANOTHER CHIKORITA. XDDDD First time I've ever FACEPALMED while getting a shiny. While post a pic of him when I can.

Also, my dream of chaining shinies has come to an end... my ex now wants every single gift he's ever given me back, which includes my Platinum cartridge. So long, Platinum. I'll miss you. :'( Was gonna use that game for the February community hunt but meh....

~EternalDarkness~

Ghost Type User
Thats rather slack on your ex's part :( sorry to hear that.

I've now reached a total of 720 eggs hatched for Venipede and I'm just about ready to start hatching the next batch. If I can get Venipede to shine soonish I think I'll take part in the CH and MM Skorupi or Duskull, I've always been a fan of their shiny sprites.

Congrats on Chikorita, Stantler, Squirtle and any others I missed.

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Im currently hunting in Black 2 at the Village Bridge

I got a shiny Golduck at Village Bridge fairly recently on White 2, so good luck! I plan to go back one day for Marill, Seviper or Zangoose!

Snivy is at 400 SRs, so Lunafloon, you might be on for a race...in fact, would you mind racing for Snivy?

I just asked Lunafloon the same thing a little bit ago. So I'll join in on this race.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have anything to update so I didn't want to post and spam the thread, but I'd happily race you both! I'm at 675 Snivys now, going to hit 700 before bed since I spent all day hatching Pokémon for the boyfriends National Dex completion!
Tomorrow I'm hoping (no promises) to reach 850-900 Snivy's!

Anyways, this is just a small update, congrats to everyone on your shinies, sorry I don't have time to congratulate you all but it's really early in the morning (4:40am...) and I haven't slept yet! I have a terrible sleep pattern... I'll be jumping into bed right after these 25 Snivy SR's!
Good luck to all on your hunts also!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to JohnNiles on Poliwag, pxm 1 on Sandile (4 shinies and you haven't even hit 8k encounters! Epic!), Royal Qeca on Mesprit, JohnNiles again on Lunatone, ShoesThief on Caterpie, Scrufox86 on Cleffa, Shiny Lord on Squirtle, City of Delusion on Stantler, Demysta on Chikorita,

OMG.
SHINY

FRICKIN

EEVEE,

FUUUUUUUDGE.

I was just watching Michelle Glavan on YT and I look down after an encounter and my Eevee was WHITE! I think for a split second I was dumbfounded because my only reaction was my jaw literally fell open. My volume wasn't on, but I guess the Youtube vid was loud enough that I didn't hear the sparkles :eek:

It's just sitting here now. I haven't done a thing yet. I'll have to take a picture and stuff! MY FIRST COMPLETED HUNT!! And on the shiny I wanted most and the one I wanted to be my first completed hunt ever!

This was also the first time I went back to hunting Eevee since I started my Platinum BQ on January 20th. And what a great choice it was to go back, because 41 encounters later, I have a shiny Eevee :D It's also male, which I wanted. It's also at night, which I wanted just because it's appropriate since he'll be evolving into an Umbreon.

Gonna try to get a pic of it and probably a video too. Hope I don't kill it >.<

EDIT: Thanks again, Shiny Lord :)

And I caught it; no accidental running away or hitting the wrong move to OHKO it...And I saved (albeit minutes after, should have done it right away!). But I was under pressure because I was filming it (and I forgot to show that there wasn't a cheating device or w/e).

But now, I have a question that I've asked before, but have been waiting till I caught it to ask it again. So...

Here are my encounters:
-6,193 encounters since my Litwick, according to my Trainers card (ie. Not counting double battles, just like my Litwick)
-5,341 Eevee encounters (only counting Eevees during my hunting period and not other things like Audino, and not counting double encounters)
-5,413 Eevee encounters (same as above, except counting the times a double Eevee encounter occurred)

Which do you think I should count as how many REs this hunt took =\? I'm kind of leaning towards the first one, just to keep it the same as my Litwick...I know this is a stupid question and getting too technical, but I'm curious =\

EDIT 2: Brave nature (+Atk, -Speed), so I guess not great for an Umbreon, although I do like to have all my Pokemon as offense (even defensive ones like Umbreon), so...Also, Somewhat of a Clown.

IVs aren't great. Looks to be about HP: 19, Atk: 19, Def: 18, Sp. A: 7, Sp. D: 15, Spd: 28...But hey, it's a shiny!

Lemme just put the picture of the encounter here and I'll cease this ridiculously long post x.X

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b579/Charizard4993/100_1201_zps4ad794c1.jpg

Last edited: