• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

starrrah

Shine Baby, Shine!
Ahhh, I accidentally closed my ds and lost my 1500+ encounters ; __;
Now i'm restarting again in pinwheel forest but aahhh ; _; must be more careful next time

Ahhh, I accidentally closed my ds and lost my 1500+ encounters ; __;
Now i'm restarting again in pinwheel forest but aahhh ; _; must be more careful next time

You haven't lost your encounters at all, in fact, I like to hunt this way. I got my shiny Petilil in 4559 encounters through only saving every time I had 500 encounters, anytime I was at say, 350, I wouldnt save. Think of it like SRing.. is there a way of saving your SR's.. nope. Anyway, people have different hunting strategies.

I am assuming the hunt you are talking about is Petilil, so I'll post mine to inspire you to keep going, it is definately a shiny worth hunting :D

100_3238.jpg

100_3249.jpg

To my hunts:

Route 32 - 3000 RE
Petalburg Woods - 2600 RE
Abra - 4429 seen on LG + the 4113 I saw on FR.
Shroomish - 3725 eggs
Torchic - 6230 SR

Anyways, congrats all new shinies and good luck everyone.

TheMaster327

So, this happened around midnight last night...

I checked the swarm of the day and it was Voltorb. So I thought, 'Why not try and chain a Voltorb?'

THIS IS THE FIRST OF THE SWARM. NON-SHINY PATCH...

001918_zps479654dc.jpg

1/8,192 shiny, thank you very much! Shoutout to Storm_Dragoon who was on SHU chat when it appeared!

Also fortunate to miss Selfdestruct by one level, too! It's Gentle nature. I'll post some Summary pics up later, too bright to take pics right now...

EDIT: IVs...
HP: 6-9
Attack: 26, 28
Defense: 30
Sp. Atk: 8, 10
Sp. Def: 13
Speed: 25, 27

Overall not bad... Would prefer it if the Attack and Sp. Attack were switched, however...

Last edited:

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
The only shinies I've ever caught are chained ones, and one random encounter Bidoof on Pearl.

I've tried soft-resetting several times but I always gave up. For over a week I've been SR in front of Giratina and I'm not going to stop until it shines for me! I've been doing it whenever I watch movies and tv, and on my way to and from work. I've not counted how many I've done but it's a lot, I've spent a lot of time on this so hopefully it will be soon!

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
So, this happened around midnight last night...

I checked the swarm of the day and it was Voltorb. So I thought, 'Why not try and chain a Voltorb?'

THIS IS THE FIRST OF THE SWARM. NON-SHINY PATCH...

001918_zps479654dc.jpg

1/8,192 shiny, thank you very much! Shoutout to Storm_Dragoon who was on SHU chat when it appeared!

Also fortunate to miss Selfdestruct by one level, too! It's Gentle nature. I'll post some Summary pics up later, too bright to take pics right now...

EDIT: IVs...
HP: 6-9
Attack: 26, 28
Defense: 30
Sp. Atk: 8, 10
Sp. Def: 13
Speed: 25, 27

Overall not bad... Would prefer it if the Attack and Sp. Attack were switched, however...

Congratulations on your shiny Voltorb and insane luck! And Storm Dragoon still exists? I haven't contacted her in a while.

I had a humourous chain of 39 nosepass last night but it broke at 40 by a Kriketune. I'm going to keep hunting!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well gratz to Bleu on reclaiming Electrike, 2rsa on the random Magikarp, TheMaster327 on Voltorb and any others I missed since my last post!

My shiny luck seems to be going though a dry spell right now.. Its now day 13 for Registeel (SHINE ALREADY!) and I'm almost at 4k encounters in Victory Road. I've been focusing mainly on Registeel lately so hopefully it shines soon. I really wanted to get my SR targets done before Apirl or at least 3 of them done, but that doesn't seem likely now but only time will tell!

So, to get the conversation rolling again, what was one of your most memorable moments while shiny hunting?

As I've said before, finally getting that female Combee after 80k+ encounters on route 12 was definitely one of my most memorable moments. Another moment was just last month when I got that 5% shiny Misdreavus with a perfect nature (Timid). Well, good luck everyone and hopefully the next time I post I'll have a shiny!

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
Well gratz to Bleu on reclaiming Electrike, 2rsa on the random Magikarp, TheMaster327 on Voltorb and any others I missed since my last post!

My shiny luck seems to be going though a dry spell right now.. Its now day 13 for Registeel (SHINE ALREADY!) and I'm almost at 4k encounters in Victory Road. I've been focusing mainly on Registeel lately so hopefully it shines soon. I really wanted to get my SR targets done before Apirl or at least 3 of them done, but that doesn't seem likely now but only time will tell!

So, to get the conversation rolling again, what was one of your most memorable moments while shiny hunting?

As I've said before, finally getting that female Combee after 80k+ encounters on route 12 was definitely one of my most memorable moments. Another moment was just last month when I got that 5% shiny Misdreavus with a perfect nature (Timid). Well, good luck everyone and hopefully the next time I post I'll have a shiny!
First of all I'm jealous of your Misdreavous, did you name it? (A better question is, do you guys name your shinies?)

My most memorable encounter was finding a shiny ekans in just 3 R/E's in my copy of Soul Silver a month ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhgT-YS84kk
I sounded like a nervous wreck throughout the entire video, as you can tell. I've never had that sort of luck, ever ;c;

Edit:- May as well add what I named all my shinies.

Nidoran Male:- Bleu
Solrock:- Molten
Aron:- Ruby
Lairon:- Shien
Marill:- Mirmydian
Spinda:- Maul
Spearow:- Glimmer
Unown A:- Amber
Persian:- Gold
Seel:- (I forgot his name!)
Budew:- Saber
Litwick:- Israphel
Illumise:- Alice
Relicanth:- Coelacanth
Herdier:- Aegis
Ekans:- Luna
Rapidash:- Silverite
Electrike:- Loyalty

Last edited:

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
Well grats on the shiny pokemon everyone

Q_Q My legendary pokemon dont seem to like me. I keep hoping that they'll shine early so I can move on to the next one.

I've just started to SR for Cobalion in Black. Im only at 25 right now. Im REALLY hoping it'll shine very early so I can move on to the other two and then Kyruem and Landorus.

Good luck to everyone else that'll get theirs before I do Y_Y

EDIT: Also does anyone know if the manaphy egg from the first pokemon ranger game can have a Shiny in it?

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well grats on the shiny pokemon everyone

Q_Q My legendary pokemon dont seem to like me. I keep hoping that they'll shine early so I can move on to the next one.

I've just started to SR for Cobalion in Black. Im only at 25 right now. Im REALLY hoping it'll shine very early so I can move on to the other two and then Kyruem and Landorus.

Good luck to everyone else that'll get theirs before I do Y_Y

EDIT: Also does anyone know if the manaphy egg from the first pokemon ranger game can have a Shiny in it?

Manaphy can be shiny, but it would be EXTREMELY time-consuming to hunt for. You'd have to beat the game, get the egg and hatch it...it's worse than SRing for Cynthia's Togepi in Platinum.

Chrosion

#1 waifu
If you know me, you know that I've been gone for a while, and in that time, I caught a shiny Mienshao I called Starla in Black 2. :3
Oh, and besides Starla, red Gyarados is my only shiny so I was really excited.

Last edited:

TheGreatGoomba

TheShinyGoomba
I always try to nickname My Shiny Pokemon but sometimes I just can't think of a Good name. If you have any suggestions please feel free to tell me.

Garbodor - Fruit Cake
Conkeldurr - No Name
Mienshao - No name
Crustle - Cancer
Scolipede - Scorpio
Tauros - Taurus
Ampharos - Aries
Girafarig - Gemini
SlowBro - USlowBro
Muk - Gelatin
Golem - Roxas
Druddigon - no name
Garchomp - No name

Those are all of my shinnies.

I'm currently at 4200 RE for Shiny Litwick. I hope it shines soon.

Last edited:

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
well after 8600REs on Route 12 a shiny LVL 57 Sunkern(M) appeared...not 1 i wanted badly...but not cherrim either XD its Docile nature with Solar Power ability, Its stats were(stats after evolving to Sunflora in (...) ): HP 112(163) ATK 46(97) DEF 42(70) SPATK 53(138) SPDEF 40(103) SPEED 45(45)

Community Hunt Completed x3 ..i guess

back to MMing Venomoth before i RE Abundant shrine i guess

grats on recent shinies/gl on ongoing hunts

add-on: weird coincidence i just got Sunflora(#192) and this is the 1st post on page #192....weird

Last edited:

starrrah

Shine Baby, Shine!
You haven't lost your encounters at all, in fact, I like to hunt this way. I got my shiny Petilil in 4559 encounters through only saving every time I had 500 encounters, anytime I was at say, 350, I wouldnt save. Think of it like SRing.. is there a way of saving your SR's.. nope. Anyway, people have different hunting strategies.

I am assuming the hunt you are talking about is Petilil, so I'll post mine to inspire you to keep going, it is definately a shiny worth hunting :D

100_3238.jpg

100_3249.jpg

To my hunts:

Route 32 - 3000 RE
Petalburg Woods - 2600 RE
Abra - 4429 seen on LG + the 4113 I saw on FR.
Shroomish - 3725 eggs
Torchic - 6230 SR

Anyways, congrats all new shinies and good luck everyone.

Ah that is true! I jsut had the mindset "What if it's the next pokemon?!"I also wasn't keeping track of how much i had since I only check once in a while, I'm guessing i was in the 1.9k.
I might try that method after every 1k ( since i'm nearing that ) It does seem smart since in the next reset it could be the first pokemon you run into! :3

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Telivisionhead on Tepig, Bonetail on Charmander, Pokemaster13 on Treeko, Pidjiken on Unknown Shiny (maybe a Marill? Can't see the pictures...), Bleu on Electrike, 2rsa on Magikarp and TheMaster327 on Voltorb!

I have a few memorable moments, though I think the most memorable would be getting Cyndaquil in 13 SR's though. I got him 30th December 2009 and I still remember to this day freaking out and frantically texting my boyfriend about it!
Though some other smaller but memorable ones would be the moment I saw my shiny Chikorita and shiny Charmander were both female, getting Chimchar in 11 SR's (a recent one) and getting shiny Shaymin the same day my boyfriend got shiny Registeel.

(A better question is, do you guys name your shinies?)

I do! I always nickname my Pokémon, and shinies are no exception. It makes them more personal to me and thus, more special, rather than just being some rare colored pixels (which they are, but it doesn't feel that way sometimes!).
Also, all my nicknames are in my signature, but because I enjoy making lists I'm going to list them anyways, so feel free to skip or read anyways!

Lucario - Yolk
Drifblim - Starburst
Bidoof - Rhapsody
Zigzagoon - Gizmo
Typhlosion - Plume
Meganium - Hibiscus
Latias - Twinkle
Charmander - Lemon
Shaymin - Gracidea
Golduck - Coral
Infernape - Flare (I might change this one)

I also already have plans to name my shiny Mudkip Muddle, which is a play on Mud + Puddle + my personal head canon that Swamperts are slighty derpy, silly and dumb but lovable and strong too :D
I already used this name with my Nuzlocke Mudkip, but I love it so much I'm reusing it with no shame.

Anyways! Sorry this post is a bit long, luckily my update is short. I'm nearly at 270 eggs for Mudkip (I got distracted by a new game, oops) and once I hatch 300 eggs I'm going to move back to Virbank Complex for at least another 2000-3000 RE, unless I find a shiny before that, and then come back to eggs. I'll also go back to Snivy as well when I reach 300 eggs, since RE and SR at the same time is fairly easy as long as I have youtube videos and nothing else to occupy my hands ;)

So good luck everyone, and don't lose hope!

Edit: Also congrats JAWAYami and Marvs!

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Had some good luck this week, got these two beauties one day after the other! Continuing my hunt as I really want Skorupi though!

Skarmory

Drifblim

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I'm a little cocerned about my W2 game because I had gotten hacks through trades and I'm not having any luck getting shinies. So really just want to know if I'm just being overly concerned or if my games is no good. :(

blisseytank

Just hatched 60 treecko eggs bit still nothing, hope i will become luckier soon haha!
congrats on all shinies guys!!

Blisseytank

ohjeezitskim

Hatched the 120 eggs I got yesterday, yesterday I hatched 90 from the previous day. Total stands at 300 eggs for a shiny Shroomish. Losing motivation :c

Also, got my game to 200 hours from the egg hatching

Might go back to doing litwick for a while, still unsure.

Umbreon Bob

Just got a German HG. Gonna get myself a ditto and start my hunt for Eevee's and skarmory's

dan2point5

Congrats on Sunkern, Skarmory and Drifblim.

I'm now at 750 eggs for Mudkip and going strong. Hopefully it'll show itself by the weekend.

Good luck folks!