• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well this is a bummer... my only DS Lite's R button is officially broken.
I thought maybe it was just that I wasn't pushing it right, pushed the buttons to SR and nothing.
It was bound to happen eventually, although now it can't be used to SR anymore...

My hunts resulted in nothing and currently MMing.

Well, you could still SR by turning the DS Lite off and on. That definitely works, and all my SR hunts up to now have been done that way. It's just longer for each individual SR.

Meanwhile, I've reached 9000 RE's in my BQ, bringing me ever closer to the long side of my hunts so far. My current average of my BQ hunts is at about 80% of the odds, so it's anyone's guess when I should expect a shiny. I'm still hoping to see something soon though, or at least sooner than my last BQ hunt. Meanwhile, good luck to everyone else!

TheEliteEmpoleon

Well, you could still SR by turning the DS Lite off and on. That definitely works, and all my SR hunts up to now have been done that way. It's just longer for each individual SR.

That would be Hard Resetting, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I still don't know what to evolve Eevee into, but I'm thinking Jolteon is the one I want. After I'm out of Castelia, I don't know what I want to hunt... Anyone have any good ideas?

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Back to hunting! I'm still in the Dreamyard in my White 2 but have switched to my White version on my Lite and am now at Route 5. I originally was going to go the Dreamyard in that game as well, but it's a lot more crowded than in sequels. xD My aim is still Liepard and after checking the Pokédex, it has a 20% encounter rate in the Dreamyard, Route 5 and Route 16. So I'm in Route 9 now, though I already have shiny Solosis (well, Reuniclus now) and Mincinno so I'm half expecting to end up with some doubles before Liepard shines. Oh well! 20% chance from Route 9 and 25% chance from the Dreamyard is good enough for me. I've done about 1000 encounters so far.

I'm also thinking about picking up Black 2 next week, speed running it and then filling the Pokédex as quickly as I can to get the Shiny Charm again. I'm a little put off by the time it'll take but then I figure that'll be offset by the (hopeful) decrease in each shiny hunt. If I do go for it, I'll stick my hunts on hold for a bit so I can create as much of a living Pokédex as I can to make it easier. Dual hunting in doubles grass with a Shiny Charm on each game sounds fun. xD And it might tempt me to go back to SR'ing the things I'm lacking.

Congrats on new shinies! :)

Hey guys :D.
Congrats on what seriously seems like hundreds of shinies from my last post. Theres also been a nice range of successful mm's which is good to see :D.
As for my community hunt (and final trio member!), Squirtle, has reached 400 eggs, im going fast by my standards!
But i have a question about my parents:
The father is a french Squirtle (Carapruce i believe) i got from the gts.
The mother is a Squirtle i bred from the above Squirtle and my jap. Ditto.
I want to know, is this mm, before i go on any more?
I know you need two different language pokemon (which i have) and one has to from your own game (also there). But is this mm as the female parent is the offspring of the male parent. Could a mm guru please help, i just dont want to hatch much more eggs in uncertainty.

Thanks and gl all. ;D

Edit: Thanks dangertrout, i was almost sure one has to be in your own game but i must have misread it.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Hey guys :D.
Congrats on what seriously seems like hundreds of shinies from my last post. Theres also been a nice range of successful mm's which is good to see :D.
As for my community hunt (and final trio member!), Squirtle, has reached 400 eggs, im going fast by my standards!
But i have a question about my parents:
The father is a french Squirtle (Carapruce i believe) i got from the gts.
The mother is a Squirtle i bred from the above Squirtle and my jap. Ditto.
I want to know, is this mm, before i go on any more?
I know you need two different language pokemon (which i have) and one has to from your own game (also there). But is this mm as the female parent is the offspring of the male parent. Could a mm guru please help, i just dont want to hatch much more eggs in uncertainty.

Thanks and gl all. ;D

You don't need one of them to be from your game, you just need the two pokemon to have different home locations from each other. So any combination of the french squirtle, jap ditto and (i assume) english squirtle will activate MM

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
how do you guys get so many shinies so quickly and randomly? I've only ever found 2 random shinies (my ponyta and kricketot), the rest I chained for, and only abra was through soft resetting at the game corner.

JohnNiles

how do you guys get so many shinies so quickly and randomly? I've only ever found 2 random shinies (my ponyta and kricketot), the rest I chained for, and only abra was through soft resetting at the game corner.

Lots and lots of time, plus chance improvers like MM/pass powers/nurseries/shiny charm. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a selection bias from people succeeding posting more often than people still working on it.

I don't get random shinies very often, because I don't fight wild pokemon very much. But I hatch eggs every day, and I've hatched more eggs than had encounters.

Wyverndust

Congrats on all those successful hunts, seems like there are a lot of MM hunts being completed as of late.

My hunting time has decreased lately due to having only four more weeks left of school and to be honest my genetics class is really kicking my butt right now. I hatched only like ten more Shinx eggs since my last update. I also decided to start the hunt for my fifth shiny Eevee in my Leafgreen, the game with my beautiful shiny Charizard, Blitzkrieg, on it. Got to 670 SRs before stopping so I could focus more on studying for my upcoming exams.

And it's official my Squirtle hunt has just passed 5,000 SRs today making this my ninth hunt in a row to go passed the 5,000 mark. First was Eos, my shiny Ho-Oh, he took first place as my longest hunt at 9,778 SRs. Then came Sorrel, the shiny Chikorita, at 8,617 starters. After her was Blitzkrieg my gorgeous black Charizard at 5,654 SRs. Then came my shiny Pidgey, Shae, who took 6,321 REs on my Heart Gold to wrap up my first ever BQ. She was followed by two shiny gamecorner Eevee on both of my Heart Gold versions (ironically both shined on the same day about 14 hours apart). They took 5,694 bought on one version and 9,270 bought on the other. I then took a break to MM a shiny growlithe, she took 3,723 eggs. Afer this I went for a third gamecorner shiny Eevee on my 2nd Soul Silver, he was the 5,768th Eevee bought. Then my last hunt was Artemis the totodile, my final Johto starter, at 7,080 seen. So... yeah.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi everybody ! Congratulations to all recent shinies, glad for you all !
So what's for my own shiny hunt, not very the time to hatch eggs, I've only hatched a new box today, and nothing new. But so far, I've just hatched 60 eggs, I'm not worried at all. I hope I could hatch more eggs this week-end and tonight. Even if I'm not expecting too much from that hunt, I hope it won't be a long one. Can't wait to see how much eggs I've hatched to get it !
Oh well, I had just the time to hatch another box, still nothing yet, but I won't give up ! 90 eggs for now !

Last edited:

TheMaster327

1,400 SRs for Registeel... So it's longer than Regice. But it's a long way to beat Regirock (5,926), so I think I'll get it before then (hopefully)! Congrats on the recent shinies, and gl everyone!

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to wobbanut on Ponyta, ohjeezitskim on Trapinch, VictorC on Cacnea, TheMaster327 on Unown, Soulink on multiple shinies, Bariokie on multiple shinies, Venonat on Magikarp, J-Tech on Timburr, *Murkrow on Sunkern, Dangertrout on Growlithe, VictorC on Poliwag, gustavo 14 on Feebas, pokemaster13 on Herdier, ChaChi on Emolga, Birds Of Paradise on Larvesta and Patrat, JohnNiles on Beldum, Crimson_Blazer on Riolu, 2rsa on Eevee, blue8arman on Boldore, Staryu on Skorupi, bro on Solosis and TheMaster327 on Rhyhorn!

So many shinies!

Anyways, I'm back to report that although I didn't get the chance to hunt at all today, I did get 3 new shinies I've been wishing to find for a while! While exploring Instagram in the early hours of the morning, I by chance stumbled upon a trade, and I'm now (finally) the owner of the 3 event shiny beasts, Suicune, Raikou and Entei!
I've been hoping to find a trade for these 3 I can actually do for a while so I'm very excited! I will update my shiny card again tomorrow!

Tomorrow I also plan to pick back up my Mudkip hunt, so wish me luck with that! And good luck to all of you as well! :D

Dangertrout

I'm a little burnt out on breeding for shinies (or shiiny hunting at all for that matter). I might take on some breeding projects, since I like breeding pokemon for people, but for now I'm going to focus a little more on my Pearl Nuzloke :p

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
well ive been changing my mind ALOT lately MMing this or that to REing here or there...back to MMing now...forgot my sister wanted me to go after a shiny water type..1st i went surfing on Route 13(hoped for Staryu)...but decided to try MMing Staryu instead(want to finish CH once this month)

Grats on all the success/Good Luck on all hunts ongoing.

ohjeezitskim

Community hunt complete!
My second one this month, so far!

I've hatched 455 eggs before today when I did my largest egg collection at 210
I got through all the boxes and nearly half of the last box and at egg 648
I seen a blue flamed, green eyed candle!

Although he has a bad nature, lowering his SP. ATT - he's still awesome!
Will edit in his IVs later!
shinylitwick.jpg

Edit: 17/25/11/11/21/31
Not bad! Perfect speed! But his Sp. att., is lacking xD - his defenses are higher!

Last edited:

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
I will not be able to congratulate everyone at the moment because I'm on a tablet. I will try to update or repost later. So for now, congrats on all recent shines :)

My beldum hunt seems to be going at a slower pace than everyone else. How do you guys hatch your eggs? Also a copy of Pokemon Platinum came in the mail for me today, so I will be starting a hunt for Turtwig. Seven more starters to go and I'll have all of them, so Turtwig will be one more step in that direction

Cyndajay

Congrats to starrah, kitty, cocoadragon, lunafloon, ohjeezitskim, VitorC, TheMaster327, J-Tech, Dangertrout, gustavo14, pokemaster13, ChaChi, JohnNiles, Crimson_Blazer, 2rsa and any others I missed on getting a shiny since my last post.

After a month and a day I have another shiny. Hopefully this is some luck returning. After 11,180 encounters shiny growlithe appeared on my white 2. My second badge quest shiny. It was the one I wanted least as I got a shiny growlithe in my HG BQ but my newest growlithe has intimidate as the ability while my other has flash fire so I'm quite happy with that. Hopefully my 3rd BQ shiny for W2 wont go over 10,000.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fire_ice_air/Shiny%20Pokemon/21911CF2-5E65-454A-953D-AFB83363AD65-8409-000008A61BA9919B_zpsdd602f45.jpg

I've also been doing my MM hunt thats now at 1,800 eggs for skorupi on Black.

Good luck to those still hunting

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
My beldum hunt seems to be going at a slower pace than everyone else. How do you guys hatch your eggs?

Well I have a lv10 Nursery in my Black/White 2 join avenues, so I just take my eggs there. It saves you a load of time, since the nursery can make your eggs hatch instantly. ^_^

Sigh... now at 20,570 soft resets for shiny Thundurus. I hope it shines before the end of the month. >.>

Good luck everybody. Congrats on new shinies.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
oh lol

I was hatching Dwebble eggs (it's for a friend, normal breeding not MM-ing for the CH since I already have a Shiny Crustle) in Desert Resort when suddenly a female Shiny Sandshrew appeared.....bad Nature (Sassy -_-) but a shiny is a shiny.

And I caught it within a Heal Ball....while it still has full HP and no status :D

Still, I kinda wish it was a female Maractus or a Sigilyph instead (with a better Nature of course) as I like their "neon" shiny colors.....

[IMG139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/sandstar_zps067ec881.jpg[/IMG139]

I'll update my shiny banner later on, along with a few shinies I got via trading with friends and via GTS

Dangertrout

My beldum hunt seems to be going at a slower pace than everyone else. How do you guys hatch your eggs?

Beldum takes a ton of steps to hatch, so it's not surprising that it's slow going :) I make use of the shop in Join Avenue as well, though mine has not yet reached level 10. Still, it saves me some time :p

No shiny news for me, as I'm still taking my shiny hunting break. I was working on a Pearl Nuzlocke, but I'm a little miffed at a crit taking out my Golbat last night. Not sure how I feel about grinding another Zubat from level 5 to 25, but the rest of my team wont be great against the fighting gym >: (
Oh, by the way, if anyone needs decent (North American English) parents for their projects, give me a shout. I like breeding for IVs and natures :p
GL on all your hunts!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Congrats on the recent shinies, including Shine's Sandshrew. I like the shiny, but yeah, I would also have preferred a shiny Maractus. Sigilyph is a wierd shiny imo, but that would also have been nice to find. Congrats though!

As for me, 195 eggs and 5 hatches away from the point of no return. 210 Eggs is when I'll switch back to those blasted Staryu, but I can't complain, both Larvesta and Staryu are amazing shinies.

Good luck to all, especially the likes of Ceecee, Cocoadragon, Heliotrope, HGaddict, JAWAYami, Dangertrout and many others. Most of you deserve shinies >.<