• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, congrats to ZirZarZoon, ChaChi, Zane and ohjeezitskim on Audino, Palkia, Tepig and Totodile respectively!

Last night, after I was on and off on my HeartGold Badge Quest hunt, I finally managed to go past the odds! I am at 8,200 REs, so no shiny came two REs over the odds (*glares at Shiny Starly*).
My other hunts...nope, they've been ignored! Platinum will eventually be continued up, so my HG BQ better be done before I have half-term break.

As for places I will hunt on my BQ:

- Route 32 (in progress)
- Bug Catching Contest
- Ecruteak City (Headbutt for Spinarak, no Hoothoot found in Ecruteak YEAH!!!!)
- Olivine City - Good Rod (Magikarp, Krabby and Corsola are lovely shinies :D)
- Cliff Cave
- Electrode in Rocket Hideout
- Ice Path

So, neater order:

- BQ 2: Route 32
- BQ 3: Bug Catching Contest or Route 35
- BQ 4: Ecruteak City (Headbutt)
- BQ 5: Olivine City (Good Rod)
- BQ 6: Cliff Cave
- BQ 7: Electrode in Rocket Hideout
- BQ 8: Ice Path

And questions:

- How would I hunt in the Bug Catching Contest? Would I change the time?
- Can you Run Away and encounter the Electrode instead of SRing?

Good luck to all! (My sig changed by the way)

Last edited:

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Just caught my first random encounter shiny the other day, a shiny Audino. :) Wouldn't have even known it was a shiny most likely until it sparkled and I freaked out x) So yeah, right now I'm trying to MM for a shiny Zorua! Wish me luck!

Last edited:

happinas

fairy~
Decided to restart Pokemen yesterday, and really did today.. Woot nostalgia.
Since shiny hunting was one of my favorite pass times, I'm gonna restart where I left off. ^^
So I'm hunting for a shiny Mareep on gbc Silver and a shiny Magikarp on Black 2

Well, congrats to ZirZarZoon, ChaChi, Zane and ohjeezitskim on Audino, Palkia, Tepig and Totodile respectively!

Last night, after I was on and off on my HeartGold Badge Quest hunt, I finally managed to go past the odds! I am at 8,200 REs, so no shiny came two REs over the odds (*glares at Shiny Starly*).
My other hunts...nope, they've been ignored! Platinum will eventually be continued up, so my HG BQ better be done before I have half-term break.

As for places I will hunt on my BQ:

- Route 32 (in progress)
- Bug Catching Contest
- Ecruteak City (Headbutt for Spinarak, no Hoothoot found in Ecruteak YEAH!!!!)
- Olivine City - Good Rod (Magikarp, Krabby and Corsola are lovely shinies :D)
- Cliff Cave
- Electrode in Rocket Hideout
- Ice Path

So, neater order:

- BQ 2: Route 32
- BQ 3: Bug Catching Contest or Route 35
- BQ 4: Ecruteak City (Headbutt)
- BQ 5: Olivine City (Good Rod)
- BQ 6: Cliff Cave
- BQ 7: Electrode in Rocket Hideout
- BQ 8: Ice Path

And questions:

- How would I hunt in the Bug Catching Contest? Would I change the time?
- Can you Run Away and encounter the Electrode instead of SRing?

Good luck to all! (My sig changed by the way)

About the Electrodes, i guess it works on ''run aways''.
Since the values that determinate if a pokemon is shiny restart when you press the ''a'' button to enter in a battle. (please guys, correct me if i'm wrong)
I'll post a video of some random dude finding a shiny electrode while ''running away''.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXegT_bA5hQ
Hope it helped!

Also, congrats on everyone shinies!
My current hunt is taking a bit longer than i wanted (around 10000 RE by now).. hope it shine soon!
Cya guys

petrelicious

Miserable Fart
Just caught a random encounter Mankey on Gold!! ...I don't even like Mankey/Primape, but a shiny is a shiny!
This is my first GBC shiny (excluding the Gyarados and a Mareep I thought had botched up my game when I was 6...) so i'm pretty happy. uwu
It's my 4th RE shiny~~

ChipperDipper

Shiny Hunter
Well, first of all, I'd like to give congrats to everyone who's found a shiny since my last post, you guys have got way more luck than me |D, though I do have some things on the shiny front to share.

Firstly, I set myself the challenge of "seeing" all the Unova Pokemon, which I did... I think last week. And as you know, that let's you go to the Nature Preserve where you catch the Shiny Haxorus, so I caught that, adding another shiny to my collection, even though it is an "event" shiny I guess.

Secondly, I set myself the challenge of catching all the Unova Pokemon, which as you can guess, I did, though while I was doing it, as it mostly consisted of evolving my Pokemon, I decided to do my training in Black Tower, so I actually ended up getting the Shiny Gible in the process.

Now I have the Oval Charm, I'm thinking of MMing for something but I don't know what..XD

Xionea

Half a centaur
Well after a long time of thinking, I've decided to MM a shiny Vulpix so I can get a beautiful shiny Ninetales. Time to start mass producing eggs again...

Gratz to all recent shinies!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Frost Mage on Audino, and petrelicious on Mankey!

Wow! Another shiny! Again, not quite what I wanted, but it's another shiny whose coloring I think is pretty neat. Shiny Koffing! 72nd encounter of the day, and only 1,472 REs since Patrat. Unfortunately, it's not on an even number of encounters like Patrat...Once again, I got it live (and once again, I didn't react :p). I saw the blue color before the sparkles and thought "oh man, another shiny already?!" Pretty exciting! Like I said, it wasn't one I'd have targeted, but I've at least always liked the coloring. And at least it wasn't Magby :3

It's female, Lax nature, Somewhat stubborn, and stats are: 28//18//26//17//14//14

IVs look to be: 4//4//4//4//29//24

Haha well that looks pretty bad, but I probably wouldn't have used it anyways. No plans to evolve this either, since I think I like Koffing better than Weezing.

A lot of you seem to get a few shinies (at least) each month, but my previous 3 (which are also my first 3) were all months apart, so this is pretty neat for me!

Last edited:

Routine

I have sort of a question to the shiny hunters here, out of pure curiosity - what drives you to actually hunt for shinies? After all it's extremely tedious, requires lots of patience and the reward is purely cosmetic. So what drives you to do it and what keeps you interested while doing it? :3

I'm asking a question like this, but I'm considering going for a shiny myself so that once I get a 3DS and Pokemon Y I'll be able to transfer it and use it through the game, lol~ Not sure if I'll have the willpower to actually go through with this. I am gonna have well over 3 months of free time, though, since I'm just about to graduate. I don't know which shiny I'd go for, there are lots of Pokemon I like whose shiny forms are really nice. Most likely Vulpix or Eevee...

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats to Zane on Tepig, ZirZarzoon on Audino, ohjeezitskim on Totodile, Frost Mage on Audino, petrelicious on Mankey, Cpchris on Koffing and any other recent shinies.

Last night I hit 3,696 REs at Route 35 in my SS BQ. I hopefully will hit 4,000 today, but it depends on how much Injustice I decide to play.

Good luck everybody, especially Helio and Ceecee who both have really long hunts.

Also I just thought I'd share a shiny pokemon dream I had last night. I don't remember many of the details, but I remember that I lost a shiny nidoran Female in it. I've had shiny dreams before, but none where it actually reflects the pokemon I'm hunting. Kinda strange, just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^

I've done 26,000 soft resets for this bloody shiny Thundurus now. That's almost as many as I did for shiny Reshiram - but at least this time I know I AM just having bad luck, and that I'm not wasting my time. Quite a few people have got shiny Thundurus/Tornadus on youtube. Though I feel slightly paranoid, since I don't think I've ever seen anyone catch one in a UK game yet...

;__;

Last edited:

TheMaster327

It will come soon, Helio...
At 700 SRs for Latios, and I've started an MM for what would have been the 8th target on my Badge Quest, had that Pelipper not appeared so quickly... Yep, it's Seviper! 5 eggs done...

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
Grats on Mankey and Koffing :)

after 2200 eggs I put the shiny star on hold to RE Route 18. Nothing shined yet(not really expecting it today, but I've found shinies under 2k REs before...)...Dunno why but I find REing faster and more fun/rewarding then MM...

The reason I hunt even though its purely cosmetic/tedious(at times) is for the thrill of the hunt and the emense joy you feel when you finally find one(even more so when you find the shiny you're actually looking for :p). Also shiny hunting is fairly easy to while your watching TV/a movie, listening to music or when your on a long ride(car/bus/whatever)...the excitement is worth it....for some its about the thrill, some for the trophies, some just want their fav poke' in a sweet new color with sparkles :p, and some hunt out of bordom(beat the game, caught all pokemon...tired of thwomping the Elite Four for the BAZILLIONITH time...)

dont give up Helio im sure that Cloud Jockey will shine soon :)

and GOOD LUCK on everyones ongoing hunts...and hopefully I can get back to that blue-gem'd star before the end of the month :(

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I haven't posted in here since the old shiny thread (and I only made a few posts at that), but I've been lurking for a while, and reading this thread has inspired me to begin shiny hunting again. Because there are so many shinies from the 5th gen that I like, I've decided to attempt a White BadgeQuest! My first target will be Snivy, since it's my favorite 5th gen Pokemon and it has a wonderful shiny form. I'm just starting to SR for it now - hopefully it doesn't take too long. ; )

Congratulations to all who have gotten recent shinies! I'll congratulate by name as of my next post. And of course, good luck to everyone on their hunts! (Especially Heliotrope - that Thundurus is sure to shine soon!)

Edit: Forgot to ask, do the starters show up shiny on the selection screen, or can you not tell until they're in battle? Just curious.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I haven't posted in here since the old shiny thread (and I only made a few posts at that), but I've been lurking for a while, and reading this thread has inspired me to begin shiny hunting again. Because there are so many shinies from the 5th gen that I like, I've decided to attempt a White BadgeQuest! My first target will be Snivy, since it's my favorite 5th gen Pokemon and it has a wonderful shiny form. I'm just starting to SR for it now - hopefully it doesn't take too long. ; )

Congratulations to all who have gotten recent shinies! I'll congratulate by name as of my next post. And of course, good luck to everyone on their hunts! (Especially Heliotrope - that Thundurus is sure to shine soon!)

Edit: Forgot to ask, do the starters show up shiny on the selection screen, or can you not tell until they're in battle? Just curious.

Good luck on your Badge Quest, I will follow you for sure if you update on that thread your steps ! :D
And no, it doesn't show the shiny form until you battle. The only time it does this is in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Hope it doesn't get too long !

Hi guys :D.
Congrats on all of todays shinies.
I said i had started my new 'mystery' hunt on thursday, but i was unhappy with one of the parents. I bred until i got one with the correct nature. The foreign one also has great ivs. So i have everything in place now. Any guesses guys? Ive also hatched what i think is a good start, 180 eggs. So guys all guesses are welcome! Gl all!

JohnNiles

I just got my latest shiny - a Feebas, and I went a whole 17 days and 1688 eggs between that and my last one. While that may not sound like much, I was pressing every day, using both nurseries and pass powers. The gods must have been angered when I said I was starting to get bored- I should learn to keep my mouth shut. It hatched randomly while I was pedaling past the daycare. I'm furious because I wanted one I could reset and hatch (post-save of course) in Undella Bay. But even I'm not crazy enough to give one up just because of a minor annoyance. I also spent some time resetting for Regirock - no such luck yet.

I'm very relieved, not just because I wanted a Milotic, but also because I held off on REing since I wanted to wait until I had something to EV train.
IDWHEj5.jpg

IihvHxu.jpg

It's got max IVs in HP (through Power Weight) and Def (which is what I needed the most). Gave it Hypnosis as an egg move cause I'm using it as a staller. I think I've got enough shinies now to get some of the PWT type ribbons with shiny-only teams.

Congratulations to TheMaster77 for the longest shiny hunt ever (or something like that). May no one follow in your footsteps. And congratulations to all who picked up a legendary recently.

edit: sorry to hear about the theft, Daisymareep.

On a tangential note, I wish people would stop posting anti-shiny threads. It harshes my vibe.

Last edited:

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
I just bought soulsilver game since my bro let someone steal my healthgold. :/ Now I can hatch or SR starters. I also decide to look at the old file that was still save on the game. I look at his pc pokemon and found three shiny suicune, entei, and raikou from a pokemon event!! :D . I also found three celebi ^^.

I am thinking of sring for johto starter since tepig seem like he dont want to shine. Good luck to everyone else.