• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm kinda lost right now guys... Does anyone have any suggestions for the fifth shiny in a W2 Badge Quest? I'm thinking of SRing Volcarona and not using it on my team. And btw all four in my sig are on my team, so I don't want number five to be on my team.

I don't know how you could manage two SR hunts in a row like that. I find it refreshing to go for an RE hunt right after finishing an SR hunt. As for suggestions, Lostlorn Forest has a fantastic selection, though you might end up with a male Combee, in case that bothers you. Other areas of lower Relic Castle would work just as well. If you go in Volcarona's room, you only find Baltoy, which know Selfdestruct, so I'd be wary of that. Route 6 should also be available to you, if you want to try that out.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys!

Well I've been busy today but I still managed alot of REs after typing a 1000 word essay and I have another to do but isn't due for awhile anyway back on topic swinub now @ day 11 and nothing and phase 2 of route 32 is at 2700 REs. I hope swinub decides its time to shine soon because I'm ready to be done with this hunt already xD.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Okay I've come to a decision! After looking at every single one of my options, I saw two choices: repel trick in route 6 for castform, or repel trick in desert resort for trapinch. I'm going with trapinch, even though dwebble may get in the way. That's still a good shiny anyway.

Edit: I also decided to evolve eevee into jolteon. Anyone have a good nickname for a shiny jolteon?

Last edited:

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Arg, this Volcarona just won't shine. :'c I've been doing this for like a month, I must have done this like 7000 times by now. xD

pxm1

SHINY HUNTER
got a shiny oshawott in black 2 1st of badge quest , probably took less than 200 srs. it has a modest nature. will hunt for snivy later to complete the trio

cheshireusagi

Tory is my fav ♥
Jeez... getting a shiny charm is so hard. I wish I could just borrow one from someone. orz I really want to continue MMing but I dont feel like I should bother until I get my shiny charm.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
...and person who stopped BQ permanently due to SRing a starter taking to long(i would put name but im posting on Wii so i cant go back pages while typing :p), you know your 1st BQ pokemon doesnt haave to be a starter poke...can RE/etc for 1st as long as its found before 1st badge its ok...

Which is the route I might go if I start a BQ on my Diamond, since I don't find SRing very entertaining at all.

Hatching Eevees on White 2... Anyone want a particular nature eevee? :D

JohnNiles

Jeez... getting a shiny charm is so hard. I wish I could just borrow one from someone. orz I really want to continue MMing but I dont feel like I should bother until I get my shiny charm.

MM rate with and without shiny charm is actually pretty close - a lot more so than RE/SR. You can fill your dex and MM at the same time.

Ugh.. why am I posting so much? It's because I'm on the verge of restarting a game... I finished transfering off all the pokemon I want to keep, but I'm too lazy to move the TM's too, so I guess this is it. The clock has rolled over, and I'll be starting a playthrough on Memorial Day. No badge quest or funny stuff for me- I want to get up to Giratina as soon as possible.

I need to do a few fast playthroughs for the Deoxys event too.

Also forgot to note that my grass Exeggcute satisfies the community hunt. COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

I have the entire Regional Dex on Black and it REALLY bothers me that I did all that work on Black and now I have to start over for Black 2. I can't transfer anything because I only have one DS. But I'm going to get a 3DS soon for X and Y so eventually this trading problem will be resolved.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
I'm such a weenie, but god has this SR been going on forever. This must be at least over 7,000. D: I need motiovationnnnn :c

cheshireusagi

Tory is my fav ♥
I'm such a weenie, but god has this SR been going on forever. This must be at least over 7,000. D: I need motiovationnnnn :c

seriously, whenever i get tired of shiny hunts, I just go back and watch this video
this kid always reminds me why shiny hunting always pays off in the end, lmao
always makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
seriously, whenever i get tired of shiny hunts, I just go back and watch this video
always makes me laugh.

My absolute favorite thing about that video is when he freaks out when his game saves...like it wasn't going to save or something.

EDIT:

So I have boxes and boxes of eggs from my Spinda hunt, and I've been hatching them mindlessly as I've been posting and watching some Youtube videos and TV and things. There's also some other eggs littered around in these boxes; I think they're leftovers from breeding DWFs for people around the forum. And literally right after I pressed "post" in reply to cheshireusagi, THIS appeared:

[IMG139]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/photo_zps3195716d.jpg[/IMG139]

Sorry about my finger covering the lens there. It's almost 1 AM where I live.

Here's another picture of it. I named her "Squali" for "Squalicorax", an extinct genus of Cretaceous shark.

[IMG139]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/photo1_zps7759f9ad.jpg[/IMG139]

You will see that she got her Dream World ability, which is exciting! She has a Rash nature though, but I can deal with that. I'll evolve her into a purple Sharpedo as soon as I can!

She's not the Spinda I'm looking for, but I've got two more boxes of eggs to hatch! I'm not sure if I should say that this hunt took ~30 eggs, which is how many Carvanha eggs I think I've ever hatched ever, or if I should say it took 220 eggs, which is how many eggs I've hatched so far for my Spinda hunt.

What do you think, people of Serebii?

Last edited:

cheshireusagi

Tory is my fav ♥
Nice accident, varanus xD! That's a pretty cool find, and I hope you get your Spinda soon.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
She's not the Spinda I'm looking for, but I've got two more boxes of eggs to hatch! I'm not sure if I should say that this hunt took ~30 eggs, which is how many Carvanha eggs I think I've ever hatched ever, or if I should say it took 220 eggs, which is how many eggs I've hatched so far for my Spinda hunt.

I hadn't realised I didn't know what a shiny Carvanha looked like :) Well done! I would say you should put about 30 eggs - I haven't gotten a shiny in about 5,500 eggs, but I'm only at 304ish for Nidoran - I'd say, if I got one in the next egg, I did it in 305 eggs and not 5501 or whatever :)

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
My absolute favorite thing about that video is when he freaks out when his game saves...like it wasn't going to save or something.

EDIT:

So I have boxes and boxes of eggs from my Spinda hunt, and I've been hatching them mindlessly as I've been posting and watching some Youtube videos and TV and things. There's also some other eggs littered around in these boxes; I think they're leftovers from breeding DWFs for people around the forum. And literally right after I pressed "post" in reply to cheshireusagi, THIS appeared:

[IMG139]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/photo_zps3195716d.jpg[/IMG139]

Sorry about my finger covering the lens there. It's almost 1 AM where I live.

Here's another picture of it. I named her "Squali" for "Squalicorax", an extinct genus of Cretaceous shark.

[IMG139]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/emstauss/photo1_zps7759f9ad.jpg[/IMG139]

You will see that she got her Dream World ability, which is exciting! She has a Rash nature though, but I can deal with that. I'll evolve her into a purple Sharpedo as soon as I can!

Woah, what luck! Congrats man, hopefully I'll be as lucky as you with this damn SRing. Dx

Man do i know how you feel :(. My johto starters hunt is seriously starting to annoy me. I dont have ANY idea how many soft rests i have done now, but its definitely THOUSANDS. Im gonna keep going though, and you should too :D. And btw guys, Im gonna start up another mm too, Im thinking solosis might be a good choice. Congrats to all like zane, papousse and varranus komodensis. Gl to all

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
always makes me laugh.

Actually, I've been told he faked that reaction (doesn't matter though). He kinda was Quad hunting, so it's not as bad as a 49k Oshawott or 101k for Drifloon.
Enough of my opinion XD There's some larger RE/SR totals on YT, but 25k is pretty damn long. At least he persevered XD

Anyways, I'm at 3,300 REs in Platinum and 3,100 in HG. Quick shiny would be nice.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Don't give up! Something has to give sooner or later. Personally, when I'm in a long hunt and need motivation I like watching videos of people getting that shiny on Youtube. I actually printed out a shiny Eevee and shiny Squirtle sprite and stuck them on my DSI Xl and DS Lite for motivation. Remember, you're not the only one in a long hunt(I'm on 11,957 RE's for Eevee) and just keep going. There's nothing like the shiny you've been searching for to appear as a reward for your persistence! =)
EDIT: I've seen that video too. Hands down the funniest shiny video I've ever seen!
~RaichuArcanine~​

Last edited:

Nakashima

always makes me laugh.

You know he said after the fact that he faked his reaction right?
He's admitted to over-doing his reactions just to get more views.

Anyways, congrats to everyone on their shinies! I know I don't post much, but I read every single reply on the thread ^^ Being on my phone most of the time makes replying a bit difficult.
I've decided that I'll go back to hunting Entei/Raikou on my HG/SS games. A difficult hunt that I began before my hiatus. I don't remember how many SR's I'd done, but I'll be putting the number back to 0 I suppose. While doing that, I'll also still be hunting for Audino by training up my shinies to lv 100 by running into the exp. piñata's. I dont really remember the number I was at for that one either, so back to 0 for that as well I guess. Unless somehow someone knows what I was doing half a year or so back xD