• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I thought they were only shiny locked in the first fight, then afterwards they could be shiny.

No, they are shiny-locked permanently for now. You cannot get a legit shiny Reshiram or Zekrom at all until the shiny lock is lifted.

Jirachi Dude

No gen 4 or 5
I swear. I've been working on Zubat in altering cave for 5 hours 2 minutes and none have shone yet. After my really bad unown, I want something good to use, and crobat would be good to
a. have a good shiny
b. catch entei

So, after that, I'm going for sandshrew, geodude, and abra.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
So sorry about your loss, Dangertrout. :(

Still no luck on my shiny buneary hunt on Pearl. At least I'm getting a little better at chaining, my top three chain lengths are now 36/34/20. Last Monday it was still 20/20/20. It's getting tiresome, but part of me's still determined to change my luck and get my second chained shiny ever. If I could keep at it for seven months for a shiny wingull, I can do the same for buneary. At least as long as my money holds out. :p I'm saving money by only using the max repels when a buneary chain starts (I hop on the bike then for recharges till a buneary chain starts), and putting either my staraptor or gyarados in front to lower the chances of getting into battle in a non-shaking patch.

Oh, and in other news I finally started White 2. I want to change my luck there too and finally get my first RE fifth gen shiny. All my fifth gen shines so far have been traded or MM'd. I definitely can't wait to get the shiny charm, even if it takes a lot of work.

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I swear. I've been working on Zubat in altering cave for 5 hours 2 minutes and none have shone yet. After my really bad unown, I want something good to use, and crobat would be good to
a. have a good shiny
b. catch entei

So, after that, I'm going for sandshrew, geodude, and abra.

If you're REing, it will help if you put a Pokemon with Illuminate at the front of your party. Illuminate increases wild Pokemon encounters. Then ride your bicycle and you can RE a lot faster.

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
If you're REing, it will help if you put a Pokemon with Illuminate at the front of your party. Illuminate increases wild Pokemon encounters. Then ride your bicycle and you can RE a lot faster.

You can also use No Guard. I believe Arena Trap increases the encounter rate, but not by as much as Illuminate and No Guard.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You can also use No Guard. I believe Arena Trap increases the encounter rate, but not by as much as Illuminate and No Guard.

Actually, Illuminate and Arena Trap increase encounter rate by the same amount, to 200%. No Guard only increases it to 150%. According to Serebii, at least. I don't know if Bulbapedia says anything different. I'll admit, though, I didn't know that No Guard increased encounter rate until I checked it just now. :p

ElectricBassClef

View attachment 9338Congrats to Jessara on Oddish, City of Delusion on Corsola, Storm_Dragoon on Tornadus, Shadowkrow on Ducklett, Laurelai on Eevee, maldoror on Ditto, JohnNiles on Yamask and Exeggcute, Benny4893 on Krabby, Zane Clarthy on Abra, TheEliteEmpoleon on Braviary, HGaddict on Geodude, Papousse on the three Skitty, Dangertrout on Petilil, varanus_komodoensis on Carvanha, 2rsa on Virizion, Clinkclang on all the past shinies, and 201238 on Electrike! Hope I didn't miss anybody who got a shiny since my last post. Good luck to everyone who's hunting!

So, after (about) 3348 eggs hatched, I have completed my Eevee MM hunt in SoulSilver. I was completely shocked when it shone after all these eggs, and happy, of course, but pretty relieved too. I've been pretty lucky with random wild shinies in the past but my MM hunts (with the exception of Sneasel) haven't really seemed to go anywhere. I have another one at 3000 eggs and a third at 2400, both fifth gen. I mean, considering some MM hunts on this forum have gone over regular odds I know I have nothing to complain about, but I'm still so glad it's over. I started this hunt in December!

I evolved him into Umbreon.

Shiny TJ.jpg

Last edited:

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
In many posts and signatures I hear things such as SR and RE
I don't know what all these abbreviations mean.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
@rovert & varanus
Jirachu Dude is playing FR/LG, abilities' overworld effect and No Guard did not exist there :p

Anyway, 825 eggs and STILL no Shiny Oshawott...at this point I'm just hoping it won't reach 1000.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
@rovert & varanus
Jirachu Dude is playing FR/LG, abilities' overworld effect and No Guard did not exist there :p

Are you sure? The text in Gen III says "increases encounter rate" for Illuminate, and Bulbapedia says that it has an overworld effect in Gen III.

In many posts and signatures I hear things such as SR and RE
I don't know what all these abbreviations mean.

SR: soft reset
RE: random encounter
MM: Masuda Method

....I think that's all of them :)

Last edited:

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I think shinies are more fun when you encounter them randomly.
Then you feel lucky.

Edit: does soft reset mean saving before you battle a legendary and reloading that save until you get a pokemon who is different in color only?

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you sure? The text in Gen III says "increases encounter rate" for Illuminate, and Bulbapedia says that it has an overworld effect in Gen III.

I'm fairly certain Illuminate has its effect in FR/LG, since it's 3rd gen description says so, but Arena Trap doesn't have its effect until Emerald.

SR: soft reset
RE: random encounter
MM: Masuda Method

....I think that's all of them :)

That's all the major ones, but I think it's worth including BQ, or Badge Quest.
Edit: does soft reset mean saving before you battle a legendary and reloading that save until you get a pokemon who is different in color only?

Arg, I could rant about this all day.

Yes, that's right. And the first post also has this info and more for in case you have any more questions. :)

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I posted, but changed my mind after submission.
Ignore this.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to varanus_komodoensis on Carvanha, 2rsa on Virizion, 201238 on Electrike, and ElectricBassClef on Eevee!

I have now hatched 1800 eggs for Staryu, its really being stubborn but I'm still determined. I'm also at day 2 on route 25 on SS, not really expecting anything soon though. I'm also slightly annoyed that I'm running out of places to hunt.. I literally have 2-3+ shinies in almost every route/area in White lol.. and SS is almost the same :s. So, I'm trying to get my hands on a Platinum version to keep things fresh. I've been thinking about doing another BQ and Platinum is perfect since I've never completely played through Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (sorta skipped that gen lol). But for now I'll just stay focused on my current hunts.

Good luck everyone!

Blue Shuckle

Event collecter
Oh my gosh! Guess who just found a shiny latias in the dreamyard! No soft resets or anything my first encounter with him and he was shiny! I'm so happy! :)photo (1).JPG

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Oh. My. God. I finally got it!!!

After god knows how many thousands of SRs, I finally got my shiny Volcarona! :')

I'd like to thank you guys, my friends and family (literally my family, my mom has been a huge lifesaver when I get impatient xD ), and of course my trusty rubber band that I strapped behind my DS. x)

But finally, pics!

[img139]http://imageshack.us/a/img9/7310/shinyvolcarona.jpg[/img139]

Oh, and did I mention that it has a beneficial nature! :D

[img139]http://imageshack.us/a/img580/2748/shinyvolcaronastats.jpg[/img139]

God this is amazing, thanks for all the support you guys! Now off to recover from all of that SRing and eventually get to SRing for a shiny Kyurem! :D

Blue Shuckle

Event collecter
Oh. My. God. I finally got it!!!

After god knows how many thousands of SRs, I finally got my shiny Volcarona! :')

I'd like to thank you guys, my friends and family (literally my family, my mom has been a huge lifesaver when I get impatient xD ), and of course my trusty rubber band that I strapped behind my DS. x)
Congrats man, I told you to never give up and you didn't. And it finally paid off :)
But finally, pics!

[img139]http://imageshack.us/a/img9/7310/shinyvolcarona.jpg[/img139]

Oh, and did I mention that it has a beneficial nature! :D

[img139]http://imageshack.us/a/img580/2748/shinyvolcaronastats.jpg[/img139]

God this is amazing, thanks for all the support you guys! Now off to recover from all of that SRing and eventually get to SRing for a shiny Kyurem! :D
Congrats man, I told you to never give up and you didn't. And it finally paid off :)

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Thanks man, it means a lot! :D Yay, so excited~

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to pxm1 on Oshawott, varanus_komodoensis on Carvanha, 2sra on Virizion, 201238, ElectricBassClef on Eevee, Blue Shuckle on Latias, and Frost Mage on Volcarona!

Mainly posting to get grats out of the way in case I lose this post (I type out my congrats as I read on a different tab), but I didn't hunt at all today or yesterday. Instead, I decided to take a break to go in the Underground to hunt for blue shards. I decided a while back that I'd give Machamp the elemental punches, since it just seems like a nice small collection of moves to have, and since I don't care as much about Machamp, I figured I'd go ahead and make him have those moves. So I got him ThunderPunch a while back when I was training him on the trainers' Gyarados, and I got enough blue shards earlier to give him Ice Punch, and now I need 5 more to get Fire Punch. Then I'll go back to hunting.

Good luck everyone!

JohnNiles

Wooot. Got my Rhyhorn, ahead of schedule. Thankfully it has Reckless, which becomes Solid Rock once it evolves to Rhyperior. I turned the game off and I'll rehatch it once I've picked out a good hatch location. I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate place for a rhino than the Nature Preserve... then again, I've already used that location a few times. I'll post pictures later.

I've been fairly fortunate recently, so I think I can now allocate the next few days to Deoxys playthroughs, SR'ing, and getting my Platinum playthrough up to Giratina (whoever thought giving Fantina a Mismagius as the 3rd gym leader was fair was out of their mind).

Congrats to Frost Mage on ending a long SR hunt and Blue Shuckle on surprise shiny Latias. o_O