• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Sorry i haven't posted in a while I've been hunting like crazy and a few days ago I found a shiny yanma in the great marsh I tossed 1 safari ball at it and it broke out and of course it fled it sucked losing a shiny but I chose to hunt in the Great Marsh and we must live with the mistakes we make.

As for mareep now another 4150 REs and still haven't found anything but I'm keeping my hopes up that the next shiny I find is mareep

My first RE Shiny: Ditto
it took like 150 REs its actually my oldest shiny I still have to date hes like a year old xD

My first SR shiny: Volcarano This one only took 132 SRs it was really unexpected I didn't here or notice the sparkles o_0 i just knew it looked different its also a year old

My first MM shiny: totodile lol that poor neglected totodile was in my box for about 2 months until I decided to clean it out and rescue the poor thing

Edit - Congrats Helio on your shiny ziggy sorry i forgot this and murkrows fraxure

Last edited:
Reset : HG and SS, which is where I eventually got a shiny chikorita and a shiny cyndaquil

Random Encounter :Was my main method for shiny hunting. My first attempt was for a shiny rufflet because I really wanted a shiny braviary. The little sucker took 3 months to shine. I was so happy when I got it but was disapointed when the adament syncer failed. Luckily it had a neutral nature, which I prefer if I can't get the one I wanted. After a handful more of other RE hunts I decided to try the MM method.

Masuda Method : First MM method shiny was my shiny zorua. I didn't have the patience and had taken about a month long break with a box and a half of unhatched eggs..could have saved myself the agony XD, because at some point I decided to go back and finish hatching all of the eggs and there was shiny zorua XD. After that I never leave any eggs unhatched when I break from MM method. Now I prefer the MM method because of the 100% rather than 50% of passing natures. Plus I can make sure that one IV of my choice is either 30 or 31. So far I have stoped using the RE method because I don't want to be disapointed with a bad nature after all of that hard work.

Chaining : Eh, was never really good at this. Only managed to chain 40% swarms, so I chained shinx, voltorb, phanphy and anything else that was at 40% or higher.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
o_O

Less than 1000 encounters total (dual hunting again) after Fraxure. This is on my White version so it's a 1/8192 shiny! However, when I checked its moveset online, I realised it knew Healing Wish and googling didn't turn up an answer to whether a wild Pokémon would faint if it used the move. :-/ So after bashing my head against the wall for a bit, I threw a Master Ball. I haven't used a Master Ball on anything for about two years now but in 24 hours I've had to use two. xD

OT/ID. No/Relaxed nature
Stats/Moves
Sparkles
Comparison

Also, I tested on a wild Chimecho afterwards. Healing Wish will fail. Still, better safe than sorry, I guess!

For the questions, I'll count the Pokémon I still have as opposed to those that have been deleted.

RE- Taillow in Ruby. I was going through using only Swampert and was in the grass of Route 115, just messing around to see what I could find. I wasn't paying attention when I heard the shiny sparkle but didn't believe it until I'd taken my SP into a brighter room (it really didn't look shiny to me xD). I knocked her to half health using a Numel HM slave and caught her. I used her a little through the game and got her to L100 after beating the E4. She is my oldest shiny.

SR- Articuno on FR. I had decided to collect all the bird shinies, originally starting with just chaining but then I wanted to add a SR to the mix. I originally only planned to get one so I picked Articuno out of the bird trio. I think it took around 8000-9000 SRs to get it. :) Soon afterwards I changed my mind about only getting one and went on to get the other two, then eventually more SR shinies.

MM- Still on my 'all the birds' quest. I wanted a shiny of each bird except from the Torchic/Piplup family (SR/MM the same shiny three times? Not happening!). So although I had my Swellow I needed to get Taillow somehow. The highest encounter rate in 3rd Gen was 40% so RE was out. I got my hopes up after hearing about the headbutt trees in HGSS, but they weren't a 100% encounter rate so I lost interest. I started hatching a bit before the MM was discovered and then picked it up again afterwards. She took about 2000 eggs (I stopped/started so much I lost track) and I missed the actual hatching, just looking down to see a green little swallow on my screen. I'd hated hatching before that but it grew on me after that.

Chain- Ponyta in Diamond. Just messing around with the Pokéradar soon after getting the game. I knew about the shiny patch but this was before people had started putting videos onto Youtube (...or maybe I just hadn't thought to check. One or the other). I was on a chain of 8/9, reset the radar and saw a completely different sparkle. I was sure this was a shiny patch but didn't celebrate until I'd entered it and saw the blue flames for myself.

Congrats on the Zigzagoon and Tyrogue and good luck on the hunts. :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So, I haz a question. Whats everyone firsts? Like, what was your first ever completed hunts for each method?

RE: Floatzel back in Diamond. I'd been hunting Shuckle when HOLY CRAP SHINY!!!

SR: I gave it a shot (Drifloon in Diamond) but didn't get anywhere with it. Yet.

MM: Haven't tried yet. Still waiting on Japanese Black.

Chaining: I SUCK at chaining. No matter how careful I am with it I very rarely get past 5 and never past 15.

Edit: What's the difference between a shiny patch and a regular sparkly patch when using the Pokeradar?

Last edited:

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
RE: Floatzel back in Diamond. I'd been hunting Shuckle when HOLY CRAP SHINY!!!

SR: I gave it a shot (Drifloon in Diamond) but didn't get anywhere with it. Yet.

MM: Haven't tried yet. Still waiting on Japanese Black.

Chaining: I SUCK at chaining. No matter how careful I am with it I very rarely get past 5 and never past 15.

Edit: What's the difference between a shiny patch and a regular sparkly patch when using the Pokeradar?

It sparkles two times, trust me, you'll know it when you see it. :)

And if you need some help on chaining, I'd be happy to give you some tips that really help.

Probably at around 100-150 REs for my shiny Golett, since I don't keep track, as I find it takes longer to keep track of the encounters. :p

Cyberra

pain in the ***
It sparkles two times, trust me, you'll know it when you see it. :)

And if you need some help on chaining, I'd be happy to give you some tips that really help.

Tips are desperately needed. The longest chain I have ever managed was 17 on Absol, then a shellos butted in and I never got a chain that far again. I'm lucky if I get a chain of 5

I just randomly decided to try REing Golurk at the Dragonspiral Tower. This time I will be keeping a precise count of how many REs it takes, something I didn't do with Unown.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Tips are desperately needed. The longest chain I have ever managed was 17 on Absol, then a shellos butted in and I never got a chain that far again. I'm lucky if I get a chain of 5

Just chain of 5 ? Gosh, that's unlucky. To become a really good chainer (can easily get to 40), I read entirely this guide. After reading it twice, I got the trick, and managed to chain pretty without difficulties. All tips are there. ;)

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Heh, definitely listen to Papousse, that guide will be far more reliable than any tips I could give you which I've gotten from several guides. :p

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME OUT OF ALL THE POKEMON ON THIS ROUTE...

I didn't think it would happen I kept telling myself I would get something new this time but as you can see that was a lie
even with static this hunt still remains to failw ith the same shiny everytime at least this one is a female oh well you must
stay optimistic and never give up let this be a lesson guys if you really want something never stop until it is yours.

Last edited:

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
It's so weird because I only have ever encountered two shinies since Red Gyarados. Both were RE and both were on my Black version, which is the version I play least.

I caught a shiny Sandile a few months back but never told anyone. It has a bold nature and it joined my in-game team since it was my first playthrough.

Just now, I caught a shiny Minccino! It won't be joining my team because it doesn't fit but it is SO CUTE!

Edit: Actually I forgot I encountered a Stantler in the Safari Zone in SS. It fled though, naturally.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So, I haz a question. Whats everyone firsts? Like, what was your first ever completed hunts for each method?

I'll start with my first successful random shiny, Steelix. I'd seen so many shinies before in Emerald's Frontier, and then a Great Marsh Wooper that fled, but this was a great encounter in Victory Road. This was when Platinum had just come out, and I was on my way to the Pokemon League, and shiny Steelix appeared. It didn't get me into hunting, but it's very memorable.

Chaining: Technically, Shinx, though it appeared in a non-sparkling patch on my 14th chain. Still a radar shiny, and this was when I looked only to the radar for my shiny interests. My first sparkling patch shiny was a Starly, proving that I could handle chaining. I still had no interest in other methods at the time, but got into chaining then.

SR: Rayquaza. I don't think I need to explain this one, other than it being the one to officially get me into shiny hunting. 2 months and ~26000 SR's was definitely worth it for my favorite shiny ever, but I would hope to never see another hunt go above 20000 SR's or RE's. On a related note, 5180 SR's for Mewtwo, so I'm hoping to see something shine soon, hopefully way before 20000 SR's.

MM: Since I'm still new at this, Wooper. I mentioned my runaway Wooper from the Great Marsh, and this was my way to avenge myself. I got 300 eggs hatched for it in Black, but after I got the charm in Black 2, I continued there to see the Wooper appear at 325 eggs. A great shiny, and I wouldn't be upset with another one somewhere down the line, since Wooper is awesome.

RE: My first official RE hunt was Joltik in Chargestone Cave. For a shiny charm hunt, it wasn't a generous one, appearing at 14000+ RE's. I was a little disappointed because it was the shiny I wanted the least from that cave, but it quickly grew on me, and I'm glad to have it.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME OUT OF ALL THE POKEMON ON THIS ROUTE...

No way! Again? That's some awful luck there with the Rattata. Reminds me of when someone here got 6 or so shiny Rapidash before getting a female Combee. You know who you are. Seriously, though, you've got some serious persistence. Good luck with that Mareep! And while I'm at it, good luck everyone!

ohjeezitskim

MM- Eevee, who is now Espeon.
RE - Petilil! Was searching for Venipede, now have two Petilil
Chaining - One and only Shinx xD
SR- None yet :( trying for braviary/johto starters now.

Did 525 SRs in SoulSilver, i'm taking a break from that and I'm going to RE some in my White 2 hopefully getting something xD!
Good luck!

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Keep it going The Master, with dedication (as well as a lot of time of :p ) you'll get that shiny soon enough.

I'm about 300 or so RE into my Golett hunt, and nothing yet. Hopefully I'll get this soon!

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!

Wyverndust

Sooo... nothing on my Ruby yet, just hit 14,600 SRs (had all day yesterday to hunt plus an hour this morning and had several hours tonight).

Be warned wall of text ahead! Read if you dare!

First shiny: This one has an interesting story attached to her. I was on the bus headed home after a particularly long day of eight grade and decided to train up my pokemon team in Emerald's Victory Road before taking on the Elite Four. Was nearly to my stop when an odd lime green and pink Whismur scawled across the screen. At this time I had no idea what shiny pokemon were (despite playing Silver and Crystal more than a dozen times) and had no idea what to think of it. I quickly decided to chuck a single pokeball at her and if it caught her then cool, if not then too bad. So I threw the ball, not expecting to catch her as she was level 40 and I didn't even bother with weakening her. Caught her and forgot about her by the time I got home.

A few months to a year later my friend Wayne found her sitting in my box and offered to trade me a Mew for her, and as Mew was my all time favorite pokemon at the time I eagerly agreed. He took the game home (his mom didn't allow him to bring his games to school) and brought t back a couple days later. Turns out he was unable to trade me the Mew so he just took the Whismur anyway. It's safe to say that when I later discovered what shiny Pokemon were, (shortly after the release of Diamond and Pearl) I was devastated.

Then, during my junior year of High School while hanging out with the small crowd of teenagers at my school who played pokemon, Wayne came up to me and offered me some of the pokemon he didn't want. Imagine my surprise when one of those pokemon was a female shiny Exploud! I knew instantly that she was my stolen Whismur and jumped at the chance to get her back (turns out Wayne forgot he got her from me). She's level fifty-two now and is sittng comfortably in my White 2 party with my other shinies.

MM: Had tried this method several times in the past (first for Absol, hatched like 200 eggs and realized none of my pokemon were of a different nationality and second for Eevee (japanese Ditto and my own Eevee) on Black got somewhere near 1,000 eggs before giving up).

It wasn't until my first ever BQ (in HeartGold) that I was finally successful. I really wanted a shiny Vulpix and as they weren't available in HG and I had no other option than to MM it. I had braced myself for a potentially long and tedious hunt; to say I was surprised when I looked down and saw the golden fox after only 77 eggs would be an understatement. Unfortunately I had to go to class in ten minutes so I couldn't stare at her for very long and had a hard time finding a good name for her. I eventually settled on Aeron but I'm still not completely satisfied with it. (Interesting fact: she and my shiny Lucario, Aegis, have the same father; a japanese Cyndaquil that I found on a used SS I bought a few months prior)

RE: Was hunting for a shiny Mareep for my BQ shiny #2 when something else shined (despite using the static ability). It had taken 3,900+ and was the shiny i didn't really want but had a feeling was going to shine anyway. Shiny Bellsprout. Named her Anthea and despite her not being the shiny I wanted, I love her to bits.

SR: My first SR shiny was also my first ever hunted shiny. I really wanted a shiny Hoenn starter as that was (and is) my favorite region. Not sure why I chose to go after Mudkip (since I prefer Torchic) but I did. I hunted for it for a couple of days occasionally triple hunting (can't hunt on more than one system for more than fifteen minutes as it actually stresses me out, while single hunting relaxes me).

One morning, I had about ten minutes to hunt before I had to take my Mythology quiz and decided why not and did a few SRs. Just as the teacher's assisant walked into to the classroom I saw the pink/purplish Mudkip pop out of his pokeball and my heart jumped.

Chain My first successful chained shiny is totally original, Shinx. Shinx and its evos are among my favorites (especially the shiny forms). After Dozens of failed attempts I finally succeeded in finding a shiny patch (at first I was a little disappointed that the shiny was female as I wanted a male I could name Gizmo). But I dearly love my little Kaelani and wouldn't trade her for the world!

quick question. I am drawing my own shiny card by hand and and am unsure if I should include my three chained shinies (all are Shinx/Luxray). What do you guys think? If I include them I will draw each of them not just one and say x3. If I include them should I also include the original Gizmo- who was lost when my 2nd diamond cartridge disappeared (he was chained while Gizmo #2 was through MM)

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
So many shinies. Congrats to everyone. I finally have time to play and got octillery to help. I am really hoping carvanha shine instead basculin. Good luck to everyone hunt.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to *Murkrow on Fraxure, Heliotrope on Zigzagoon (too bad though), 201238, *Murkrow on Chimecho, cocoadragon on Ratata (sorry its still not something else >.<), ayeeprill on Minccino, and pokemaster13 on Gurdurr!

Thanks for the gratz everyone.. but uhh..

City Of Delusion on Uxie

I got Azelf xD! Working on Uxie now lol.

You know what? I almost told TheMaster327 congrats on the Uxie in my last post as well before I realized that wasn't it...What is it with me thinking you guys are getting Uxie >.<?! Well, congrats on Azelf :p

No way! Again? That's some awful luck there with the Rattata. Reminds me of when someone here got 6 or so shiny Rapidash before getting a female Combee. You know who you are. Seriously, though, you've got some serious persistence. Good luck with that Mareep! And while I'm at it, good luck everyone!

Yeah I was trying to think of who that person was, too...I was trying to think how many more Koffing's I'd need to catch up to their Rapidashes...Although I could just compete with cocoadragon now :p I'm one behind, I think? 2 Koffings honestly isn't bad, I'm just wondering if I'll see more or not.

As for City's question...Well, all my shinies currently are in my Shiny Card, so I could answer it with that :p But my first completed RE was Eevee, and my first completed SR was Piplup...Have yet to Chain or MM.

I only did 100 REs each game today...Partly because of work this afternoon/night, but I spent a good part of the day reading, since my coworker lent me the 3rd book in the series now, and I've had it for like 2 weeks and I'm not even half way through >.< I'll hopefully get more done tomorrow.

Good luck!

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Sorry to post again so soon, but I really can't believe what just happened...

So after finding my shiny Gurdurr earlier today while triple hunting, I closed my second DS and focused on my Black 2. I caught the Gurdurr, saved and turned off the game, then went off and did some other stuff that needed to get done. When I got home a little while ago I saw the flashing light on my other DS and realized that I hadn't turned Black off yet. When I opened it I found that I was already entering into a battle.... with a freakin copper-colored Klink. My DS was sitting there for like 6 hours, and I had no idea that I was in a battle with a shiny Klink! So basically I just found simultaneous shinies, even though I saw them 6 hours apart from each other... Holy crap I was literally shaking when I saw it lol.

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/1406/img0233xl.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/453/img0245xic.jpg

Well, I probably won't do much shiny hunting for awhile, as I now have three shinies I need to train up. Good luck once again!