• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Anyone else super pumped to SR for a shiny charmander in X and Y to get that shiny Mega Charizard!?!?!?!? I, myself, cannot withstand the excitement for a black ultra charizard. The only problem is will I be too eager to play out the game, or will I be determined enough to go for it?

I've been trying to get a shiny Charmander for months now, and now knowing that Charizard has a Mega Evolution just makes me more determined to get one even more so. I've been SRing and also hatching tons and tons of eggs for it. I must have about 1000+ SRs and be at around 900+ eggs so far. Hoping my Charmander shines soon, more so before X & Y! I would totally agree that a black Mega Charizard would be amazing! I think getting one for X & Y would totally be worth it! :)

ArdhiS

can i join this comunity? :D
i just hatch a shiny snivy after 1944 eggs using masuda method this morning :D
rash nature, some what of clown :D
i cant upload the pic, because im new in this forum, but i will post the pict ASAP :)

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to elorasheppard on Sandslash, ChaChi, TomoEGoto on Riolu, elorasheppard again on Weedle and another Weedle, IndigoTribesman on Gulpin, Ceecee-typhlosion on Kyogre, elorasheppard once more on Bouffalant, Kanima on Sneasel, Frost Mage on Latios (yay, reclaim!), banjonator1 on Magnemite, Cyberra on Roggenrola (You really earned that! Awesome job sticking with it for so long :)), City Of Delusion on Woobat, Sealotic on Metang, TheRoaringShinies on Swadloon (and happy birthday!), Norway on Seviper and Cubchoo, Soulink on both Eevees and Chimchar and Sneasel, maldoror on Masquerain, BackInClack on Oshawott, Storm_Dragoon on Magnemite and Elekid, Waffle King, Soulink on Eevee, Roseheart95 on Gloom, Cloystoys on Galvantula, TheMaster327 on Terrakion, Automail_Junkie on Liepard and Minccino and Chikorita, maldoror on Yamask, ChaChi on Staryu, and ArdhiS on Snivy!

Too bad Venipede enters the game and steals 20% of Sewaddle's 35% of encounter rate in the dark grasses. I love hunting in dark grasses. Since I only see one Pokémon at the time, it's going slower then before, but if it can give me better chances of getting my Sewaddle, I guess it's worth it! Currently at 215 random encounters.

Good luck to everyone, especially Cyberra, Frost Mage, Cpchris, Roseheart95, TheMaster237 and AquaRegisteel!

Thanks! Also, though we’ll be hunting different places, and even though I’m way far away from getting to that spot, I’m really hoping for a Venipede from Lostlorn Forest, and Swadloon is the pokemon I want least (actually, I don’t even really want Swadloon or Combee at all, but if I get em, cool), so…If we could just swap luck now, since I’ve automatically got Swadloon luck simply because it’s not my target (or at least that’s what my Black 2 has proven to me so far), that’d be great :) And good luck!

Well, looks like everyone will be able to transfer any pokemon and shinies they want to X/Y, though for a cost…Hopefully it’s not too expensive.

It’s also awesome that you can get the original starters so early on (except I don’t like that I’m getting the other starters from a friend…Like where did he get them?). On the other hand, that would mean lots of SRing in the beginning if I choose to go for both Fennekin and Charmander…And since I wanted to SR for Squirtle on X, that means I won’t be making much progress too soon on a main playthrough >_>
Oh, and it seems that the Pokemon XLs will be coming to NA! That’s exciting, though I certainly won’t be getting them :x Especially not after just buying a Black one (which I prefer anyways). But it’s cool for those that wanted one :)

On the topic of a cloud system that stores pokemon…I really wish they had something like this that could do something like back up save files, or at the very least, back up pokemon. My biggest fear is a corrupted file that causes me to lose my shinies, or even my high level pokemon. It’d be nice to have an option where if that ever happened, I’d just be able to go into my ‘bank’ and get it back. I mean, they were talking about how they want people to be able to use the pokemon they’ve had for a long time, so wouldn’t it be good to have a back-up of that pokemon in case something goes wrong? I realize this could lead to issues of duplication, but aren’t there already programs that let you make pokemon yourself?

Anyone else super pumped to SR for a shiny charmander in X and Y to get that shiny Mega Charizard!?!?!?!? I, myself, cannot withstand the excitement for a black ultra charizard. The only problem is will I be too eager to play out the game, or will I be determined enough to go for it?

I was planning on SRing for Charmander for my Y BQ anyways, but now it’s even more exciting to think about having it for a mega evolution :x

----------------------------------------

Well, I’ve extended that break from hunting! Other stuff sort of caused it and kept me from wanting to hunt, too, but it was still good to take a break. So I basically started my break on the 25th, did a small amount of hunting on the 29th and 30th, and then didn’t hunt again until today, the 4th! Considering I normally hunt at least a little every day, this has been a long break for me!

Anyways, I did manage to hunt a lot today, but unsurprisingly, nothing came of it. I did 800 REs and 700 SRs. So my hunts stand as such:
-20,600 REs on my 3rd phase for Shinx for my Platinum BQ. This is particularly annoying considering my previous shiny was a failed Abra after 17,437 REs. So I haven’t actually caught a shiny in 38,037 REs. And to think back in April I thought I’d have this BQ done by the time X and Y came out =\
-2,000 REs on my 8th phase for Growlithe on Black 2. Early in the phase, but phase 8…I’m now on month 7 of hunting this (nearly every day), and have done a total of 46,883 REs while trying for Growlithe.
-5,300 SRs for Johto starters on HeartGold. Not over the SR odds, but factoring in that 3 pokemon are seen each SR, I’m at 15,900 seen, which would be over the odds…Hoping to get Totodile first, then Cyndaquil, and then a Chikorita so I can continue the game on the same file as Chikorita.

So yeah. My last 4 shiny finds have been over the odds, my current Platinum hunt is about 2.5x the odds, and my current Johto starters hunt is almost 2x over the odds for pokemon seen…This can change now -_- Really, I won’t mind if shinies want to start appearing, especially my targets for a change >_<

Good to be posting my complaints again ;) Good luck, everyone!

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
This is what showed up after only 3,331 RE's on FR yesterday! Shiny Weedle! I named him Hornet. He's a brave nature and I can't remember his exact IV's, but he has a 31 in HP, and a 29 in attack. Pics:
IMG_1347_zps83048709.jpg

IMG_1348_zps5a2d3b19.jpg
I'm going to Celadon now to SR for a Shiny Eevee This means I now have 4 BQ shinies, as I only counted the first Spearow I found on Route 3 towards it. Best of luck to everyone of course!
~RaichuArcanine~

Sara Hysaro

Congratulations to Automail_Junkie, maldoror, ChaChi, Ardhis, and RaichuArcanine!

Well, I'm officially over the odds now at 8,200 RE for my Route 2 White BQ hunt. Can't complain too much (or at all to be honest), but I'm hoping I'll get something to show for my dedication soonish. A little bit of progress before X/Y would be lovely, as I'm definitely going to be concentrating primarily on that for a while. So excited for the new generation, especially since I'll be going in mostly blind. :D

Anyways, I'll post again when I get that shiny, or if I reach 20,000 REs without any luck. Good luck everyone!

Edit: Whoa, didn't expect to be on the same page as my last update! Bit of a slow day for shinies, huh?

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Congrats on all the new shinies, guys.

I'm still having no luck with my Ruby badge quest. I'm currently at 26,700 encounters, which is my longest hunt so far in this BQ (previous highest was 25,000+ encounters >.> ). Just as long as I don't get another shiny Zigzagoon....

Good luck everyone!

Scrufox86

Hello everyone. Blanket congratulations to all recently gained shinies!!

Well update on my shint hunting. Have not done much lately because my Birthday was last Friday and I got a 3DS so I have been playing 3DS games. Well mostly pokeradar, animal crossing new leaf and sims 3 pets. Well anyway I am back to shiny hunting for a little while. Right no shinies as yet. On white 2 I am still hunting the starters. I am half way through my 5 boxes of Snivy. On black 2 I am almost done filling up the 8th and last box up with Poliwag eggs before I begin hatching. I am hoping for a DW ability shiny for a politoed and so I have only gathered Poliwag eggs this time to help with chances. I really want a shiny Poliwag now, been one of my targets for a while. Oh and I have considered pokeradar again to get shiny Eevees but I am not 100% on that right now as I really want the rest of the starters shinies and this poliwag.

On another note about the Shiny Legendary events , I went to Game to get the shiny Dialga and got told by staff that to get it I had to pre-order pokemon X or Y (no problem for me because I was going to do that anyway but still it never said this on the Game website about having to do this) and then instead of being able to get one per game (I have all 4 gen V games) the staff told me they usually only give one shiny Dialga per customer. That was another "er what...?" moment. I did get another one though but still it never said any of this pre-ordering and only one per customer stuff on the website. The website implied we could go to the store and not even have to go in to get the event but you had to go and ask a staff member to get a 3DS with the distribution cartridge... again did not say this on the website. So that was annoying as I hoped to get one for each game and then I forgot to ask does that mean when the Palkia event starts that I will have to pre-order another game? And then for Giratina as well?

Good luck to all shiny hunters

~EternalDarkness~

Ghost Type User
Congrats on all the new shinies since my last post.

I haven't been doing much hunting, only a small amount of SR's for Sandshrew plus a new MM hunt for Solosis which I'm just starting to hatch the first batch. Originally I was going to reset for a shiny Cobalion or Heatran but I put it on the backburner after my game glitched out whilst preparing a Smeargle to help catch them. I had no idea what happened, one moment I'm putting something in the pc when suddenly part of the menu options didn't move with the rest and resulted in the game giving me an error message telling me to shut off the system. Nevertheless I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

@Scrufox86 That's quite odd, when I went to EB games the other day I asked the guy what I needed to do to go about it all and there was nothing said about any requirements, just start it up and away you go. :S

Good luck everyone.

JohnNiles

That employee is feeding you a load of bull, Scrufox86. There are no requirements- no purchase required.

In other news, I'm feeling slightly better about never bothering to evolve my Kanto shinies, now that they've been shown to have Mega evolutions. I'm still not sure which is better- fill out the shiny pokedex entries in Gen V, or just skip to Gen VI.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Hey everyone.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I stepped away to get the shiny charm on my copy of White 2 (as I already have it on my copy of Black 2), and I finally got it last night.

That being said, congrats to Cyberra, Lunafloon, Storm_Dragoon, Waffle King, TheMaster327, Automail_Junkie, maldoror, ChaChi, Ardhis, and RaichuArcanine on your recent shinies, and of course everyone else that I missed.

So I got the shiny charm in White 2 last night and thought "maybe it's time to go after a new target now that I have this fresh Shiny Charm." I'd been eyeing a certain target for a while simply because of its colors, and thought "okay, let's go with that one".

Well, only 16 eggs later, a shiny male Koffing hatched!!

[img139]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/dansbphotobucket/ShinyKoffing_zps61312d8b.jpg[/img139]

I've always loved shiny Koffing's colors, and I'm glad to finally have one of my own.

Here's a video of him hatching, and of course, my sig has been updated with a fresh White 2 themed frame for Koffing!

Good luck, everyone!

Dangertrout

Hello everyone. Blanket congratulations to all recently gained shinies!!

Well update on my shint hunting. Have not done much lately because my Birthday was last Friday and I got a 3DS so I have been playing 3DS games. Well mostly pokeradar, animal crossing new leaf and sims 3 pets. Well anyway I am back to shiny hunting for a little while. Right no shinies as yet. On white 2 I am still hunting the starters. I am half way through my 5 boxes of Snivy. On black 2 I am almost done filling up the 8th and last box up with Poliwag eggs before I begin hatching. I am hoping for a DW ability shiny for a politoed and so I have only gathered Poliwag eggs this time to help with chances. I really want a shiny Poliwag now, been one of my targets for a while. Oh and I have considered pokeradar again to get shiny Eevees but I am not 100% on that right now as I really want the rest of the starters shinies and this poliwag.

On another note about the Shiny Legendary events , I went to Game to get the shiny Dialga and got told by staff that to get it I had to pre-order pokemon X or Y (no problem for me because I was going to do that anyway but still it never said this on the Game website about having to do this) and then instead of being able to get one per game (I have all 4 gen V games) the staff told me they usually only give one shiny Dialga per customer. That was another "er what...?" moment. I did get another one though but still it never said any of this pre-ordering and only one per customer stuff on the website. The website implied we could go to the store and not even have to go in to get the event but you had to go and ask a staff member to get a 3DS with the distribution cartridge... again did not say this on the website. So that was annoying as I hoped to get one for each game and then I forgot to ask does that mean when the Palkia event starts that I will have to pre-order another game? And then for Giratina as well?

That's not right. I stood OUTSIDE EB Games and collected FOUR Dialgas with no strings. You should report the store, maybe contact their HQ and let them know that this location is doing that.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Well I got a shiny Magnemite in 5173 REs. Not what I was looking for, but at least it wasn't another Patrat. Here are it's IVs: HP 31 ATK 30,31 DEF 10-19 SP. ATK 20-29 SP. DEF 0-9 SPD 0-9

I had gotten it earlier today, but I needed to leave to go to Fitness Kickboxing so I didn't have any time to do anything with the Magnemite till now. I'm going to nickname it Magnetite(I know it's not to far from it's species name) which is a type of mineral. I'm going to continue the hunt for Pidove and maybe this hunt will be shorter. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Polarix

n___n
So yesterday I managed to nab myself a shiny I've loved for a very long time, I'm just gonna quote a post I made about it on another forum instead of writing it up again!

Holy crap, I haven't been shiny hunting for at least a year and a half, maybe more, and I decided I would try and get back into it with having a lot of free time. I didn't expect to hit anything very quickly but I got extremely lucky.

I decided I would use the Masuda Method, which I used to obtain my shiny Vanillite, who was still sat in my party when I fired my White version back up. After a while of figuring out who I was going to hunt, I searched around in my PC and found a Driftloon sat looking a little bored. Drifloon was a Pokemon I used to SR for on my old Pearl version however was one who always alluded me, so I knew I had to attempt hatching one.

I filled up a number of boxes with eggs and made my way over to Castelia to begin hatching them, I had no luck last night and was feeling a little tired after a few boxes so I left the rest til this morning.

What I didn't expect when I woke up was to find anything, and as I hatched more and more, with fewer eggs left I was preparing some lunch and ready to take a short break before breeding some more later in the day. However, on the very last egg of my entire batch, she appeared!

Some quick pictures:

Hatched

Summary 1

Summary 2

I'm ecstatic I got so lucky to grab her so quickly, just counted the eggs and it took exactly 150. Now to figure out a nickname. I think I'm back to hunting! ^^

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

That employee is feeding you a load of bull, Scrufox86. There are no requirements- no purchase required.

In other news, I'm feeling slightly better about never bothering to evolve my Kanto shinies, now that they've been shown to have Mega evolutions. I'm still not sure which is better- fill out the shiny pokedex entries in Gen V, or just skip to Gen VI.

That's not right. I stood OUTSIDE EB Games and collected FOUR Dialgas with no strings. You should report the store, maybe contact their HQ and let them know that this location is doing that.

Everyone here is in the right. That Gamestop employee is lying to you, or he/she just doesn't understand the event. When I got my Dialga (and you'll see in my shiny card that I have two, not one, so there is no limit), I drove to Gamestop, parked in front of the building, and sat in my car and downloaded the event on my Black and on my Black 2. I didn't walk in or talk to anyone or pre-order anything. I sat in my car and got the gifts, and I'm going to get two Palkia and two Giratina the same way. So you need to go back there and just stand outside their door and download the events as many times as you want! I also agree with Dangertrout - you need to call Gamestop's corporate and tell them that whichever store that is is doing that. I'm sure they'll have something unpleasant to say to that employee.

Also, congrats, Polarix :)

Last edited:

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Automain_Junkie, maldoror, ArdhiS, RaichuArcanine,YNCRN, Shadowkrow and Polarix!

I noticed you said you went to Game/GAME, so am I to assume your from the UK or at the very least, not the US?
GAME don't seem to be doing too well. When I went in to get my 4 Dialgas, I walked out with 4 Giratinas and was told they "change every week", where as the website says it's Dialga for 2 weeks and then Palkia for 2 weeks and only then is it Giratina.
If you can, do what I'm planning to do and print out the webpage, go back in and just kinda be like "it says here I can download them with no mention of a preorder". I plan to do this to get my Dialga, because theres no way I'm going to risk missing it because they've set up the event incorrectly :/
That said, I did manage to get 4 of something, so it shouldn't be limited to only one at all! So I'd definitely go back, or try a different store if theres any nearby?

Anyways, as for my own updates... Well, I have none. I mostly just wanted to provide my input on scrufox's problem XP
I'm still REing as always and I plan to hit 10,000 on my 4th BQ hunt tonight, though I'll happily accept a shiny instead. *crosses fingers subtly*
It's been a few months since my last BQ shiny due to my self-induced hiatus, so I'd love to try and get at least 3 more before X and Y are released! That would put me on 6 badges and then I'd only need 2 more, how scary and exciting O3O

Good luck everyone!

Scrufox86

Congrats to Automain_Junkie, maldoror, ArdhiS, RaichuArcanine,YNCRN, Shadowkrow and Polarix!

I noticed you said you went to Game/GAME, so am I to assume your from the UK or at the very least, not the US?
GAME don't seem to be doing too well. When I went in to get my 4 Dialgas, I walked out with 4 Giratinas and was told they "change every week", where as the website says it's Dialga for 2 weeks and then Palkia for 2 weeks and only then is it Giratina.
If you can, do what I'm planning to do and print out the webpage, go back in and just kinda be like "it says here I can download them with no mention of a preorder". I plan to do this to get my Dialga, because theres no way I'm going to risk missing it because they've set up the event incorrectly :/
That said, I did manage to get 4 of something, so it shouldn't be limited to only one at all! So I'd definitely go back, or try a different store if theres any nearby?

Anyways, as for my own updates... Well, I have none. I mostly just wanted to provide my input on scrufox's problem XP
I'm still REing as always and I plan to hit 10,000 on my 4th BQ hunt tonight, though I'll happily accept a shiny instead. *crosses fingers subtly*
It's been a few months since my last BQ shiny due to my self-induced hiatus, so I'd love to try and get at least 3 more before X and Y are released! That would put me on 6 badges and then I'd only need 2 more, how scary and exciting O3O

Good luck everyone!

Yes you are correct I said GAME because I am from UK. Well I remember getting the Keldeo event from there and me and my brother both got two each so one per game and they never said anything about having to pre-order a game first or only one per customer. It is odd to be honest. I do recall others having this issue with past events such as the keldeo one though. I did think it is something to do with trying to get people to buy from the store. My local store has never done where you can stand outside and just download the event pokemon, the keldeo event we had to ask a staff member. Me and my brother tried on Friday but no download came up. I would've gone in to ask then but there was an annoying person returning something and holding up the queue which was half way down the shop. I am thinking maybe some staff have been told different to others as well and that is why there is confusion. However it clearly states on their own website about how to get the event pokemon and the correct dates so something very weird is going on there.

Dangertrout

Yes you are correct I said GAME because I am from UK. Well I remember getting the Keldeo event from there and me and my brother both got two each so one per game and they never said anything about having to pre-order a game first or only one per customer. It is odd to be honest. I do recall others having this issue with past events such as the keldeo one though. I did think it is something to do with trying to get people to buy from the store. My local store has never done where you can stand outside and just download the event pokemon, the keldeo event we had to ask a staff member. Me and my brother tried on Friday but no download came up. I would've gone in to ask then but there was an annoying person returning something and holding up the queue which was half way down the shop. I am thinking maybe some staff have been told different to others as well and that is why there is confusion. However it clearly states on their own website about how to get the event pokemon and the correct dates so something very weird is going on there.

If it's an issue at the entire chain of stores, you may have to go directly to nintendo (or whoever distributes the events to the stores) to get this addressed.
The way the event is supposed to work, regardless of country, is the employees are supposed to boot up a DS when they get in and set it up to distribute. It's supposed to be always on, so you don't have to even talk to an employee for it. There isn't supposed to be a limit on them, you're supposed to be able to get one for each of your games.
The one time I had to ask someone about it, it was just that he forgot to turn it on when he got in. I didnt have any issues beyond having to wait in line to ask the question "why isnt it working?".
I hate when stores take advantage like that.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Good luck everyone!

Oh, nice catch, Lunafloon! But everyone's right; the GAME stores in the UK should be doing the same thing as Gamestops in the US. No pre-orders, no limits on how many to download. I'd definitely call corporate or Nintendo or someone if all GAME stores are treating you like that.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Sorry about posting again, but... I just got Shiny freaking Pidove in only 38 REs with shiny charm O.O. Now with that hunt done I'm going to put more effort to my MM hunt. Congrats again to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Edit: I almost forgot Community Hunt Complete

Edit 2: Now that I've calmed down here is the reason for me freaking out. Pidove has been a pokemon I've been after for a while because it is a not exactly reclaimed shiny. I used to have a Tranquil when I used to have Black, but now I've got Pidove again and I'm just so happy. Unfortunetly it's nature and IVs are no good, but still I'm just happy to have it.

Last edited:

pikachu780

The only dendenne

Is this event in exeter?