• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

~EternalDarkness~

Ghost Type User
Congrats YNCRN on Koffing, Shadowkrow on Magnemite & Pidove, Polarix on Drifloon, Cpchris on Totodile, TheMaster on Virizion, Gustavo on Groudon, Colton S on Latias, Heliotrope on Minun, Dan2point5 on Altaria and the Petilils, Thesurfing Snivy on Pichu, Beldum and Farfetch'd, Volcanic Tyhphlosion on Audino, BackinClack on Azurill, Laurelai on Sewaddle, Pokemaster13 on Sawk, IndigoTribesman on Liepard, Storm_Dragoon on Magnemite, Paddy on Feebas and Maldoror on Zangoose and Sewaddle.

Currently I've hatched 390 eggs for Solosis and I'm hatching another 5 boxes worth. I'm going at a pretty nice pace, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this hunt before GTA 5 comes out. Other than that there's not much else to report on, my other hunts are still on hold but I hope to get to them soon.

Good luck everyone!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to BackInClack on Azurill, Laurelai on Sewaddle, pokemaster13 on Sawk, IndigoTribesman on Liepard, Storm_Dragoon on Magnemite, Paddy on Feebas, and maldoror on Zangoose and Sewaddle!

Community hunt complete x2!

After 1841 REs my 2nd shiny Minccino appears! It has the same nature as my first one which is Lonely but this one has Technician instead of Cute Charm which is nice. I really want shiny Trubbish so I'm gonna stay here and see what happens.

Good luck guys!

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
About 300 SR's for Tepig so far (Probably less, I haven't been keeping track) and no gold pig yet. But since the hunt is still young, I don't expect it quite yet.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Wow, it's been a long time since I was here. Good to see lots of names that I recognise, lots of regulars still here. You guys must be rolling in shinies by now!

In any case, I decided to finally pick up my old HG shiny hunt, the ones that's been annoying me longest. So far I'm up to 14,617. I'm also up to 750 eggs on my Spinarak hunt (originally for whenever month we had a bug/grass shiny hunting contest - definitely failed there). Wish me luck! Hopefully I'll be around more often for a while now. :)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Wow, it's been a long time since I was here. Good to see lots of names that I recognise, lots of regulars still here. You guys must be rolling in shinies by now!

In any case, I decided to finally pick up my old HG shiny hunt, the ones that's been annoying me longest. So far I'm up to 14,617. I'm also up to 750 eggs on my Spinarak hunt (originally for whenever month we had a bug/grass shiny hunting contest - definitely failed there). Wish me luck! Hopefully I'll be around more often for a while now. :)

Thank goodness, wondered where you went! Great to see you back, good luck with Route 32.

Giratina is now my longest hunt ever. Right now I am at 12,542 SRs, 33 SRs over my second longest hunt (Nidoran). Now, it's just a cruel, cruel waiting game until it shines.

I do wish you all luck, and congratulations to all recent shinies!

TheMaster327

SHINY FROZEN CHICKEN DRAGON!!! LQ COMPLETE AT ONLY 1,100 SRs INTO THE HUNT!!!

[spoil][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0041_zpsee9e6d35.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0042_zps55ad17ec.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0043_zps2159288d.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0044_zpsf216cd7d.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0045_zpsb8811e02.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0046_zpsa41aa9eb.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0047_zps2cbfd4ef.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0048_zpsa2676459.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

Didn't use a Sync on this one and it turned out Hasty!

IVs: 18 / 10, 11 / 3, 4 / 24 / 14 / 0, 1 Not the best set of IVs in the world, but hey, LQ COMPLETE!!! And COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE X3!!!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention I caught it in the first Premier Ball! (Excluding the opening Quick Ball...)

Also, SRing for a good natured Gible from Benga now...

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So getting shiny legendaries is technically easier than getting shiny pokemon randomly, or no? Also how do you get shiny starters?

Well, whether or not its easier is subjective. Some people may argue that MM is easier, others might say RE is easier, though it really depends on how you judge the difficulty. With legendaries, it's easy in that all you do is press A a bunch of times, and if it's not shiny, you SR or turn off the game and then back on (yes, every SR shiny I have was done that way). However, they still are a pain to catch, and some more bothersome than others. For one, I find the weather trio to be the most stubborn catches because of Rest spam. Really, it depends on your tastes in hunting.

As for starters, you basically do the same as with legendaries. The difference is that in most games, it's a very long process to SR because there usually is a long talking sequence dragging it out. Alternatively, you can just hunt for any of the via MM.

julabard

I just decided to EV train my shiny Phione as a break from hatching these never-ending Eevee eggs, Only the 2nd encounter and a lovely little Purloin shined for me! She is level 2 and Naughty! Only 1000 or so encounters after the shiny Tranquil, I've had good luck this last month or so!

Shiny Lord

Community Hunt Complete

After hatching 1800 darumaka, 305 Cyndaquil, 300 Shelmet I switched to Oshawott and after 138 eggs with shiny charm a male shiny bashful oshawott hatched!!! This is a shiny I've hatched for multiple times and its a nice shiny to finally break my drought. Its also the last starter I needed shiny to complete the fifth gen starters. Photo 178.jpg I still have 160 eggs to hatch so who knows maybe I will get lucky and hatch another one.

#501 Oshawott [Bashful]
IVs: 0 - 28 / 0 - 28 / 29 / 1 - 29 / 10 - 28 / 10 - 28
Stats at Lv.1: 12|0 / 6|0 / 6|0 / 6|0 / 6|0 / 6|0

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Hello everyone! I haven't had much luck with my hunts sadly. Right now I'm SRing for Bill's eevee and hunting Miltank via the repel trick. Its going smoothly about 14 REs per repel and 8 of them are usually Miltank. I'm at 100 REs for Miltank and 300 SRs eevee. Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. Just a heads up I might be doing charmander next because I love charizards mega form.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: While finishing the rest of these eggs I found ANOTHER shny dratini within 1250 eggs. Just like my Lapras this is a DOUBLE win. And this one HAS the DW ability and I could not be more pleased. Jolly nature IVS: 31/31/12,13/2,3/28,29/31 Terrific!

Returning to tell everyone of my luck. between 1000-1250 eggs I did receive a shiny dratini, my favorite Pokemon, but the celebration is short lived as the ability is Shed Skin and not Marvel Scale. Disappointing but I guess the hunt continues. IVS: 14,15/31/28,29/14,15/4,5/31 Acceptable for a shiny. Not as good as my 2 non-shiny near flawless ones of course :) Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
The power was gone for over twelve hours today, so naturally, I was shiny hunting. I finally got a new shiny from Virbank Complex, and it wasn't a Magnemite:

Shiny Growlithe after 658 REs! Not quite the Patrat/Koffing I was looking for, but it definitely beats getting another shiny Magnemite. Another critical capture Quick Ball caught it, seems like they like me :p.

Shiny Growlithe
Bold nature

The fifth round for shiny Patrat/Koffing commences, hoping THIS time I get what I'm looking for. Congrats on all shinies, especially Master on finishing his Legend Quest :).

Last edited:

ChaChi

Shiny Hunter
Hey Hey Hey well im back with some new shinies first are my chained shiny starly x6, and just now while using repel trick for shelmet well it worked just not for shelmet ended up with this shiny on my white 2 jap.

Community Hunt Complete

Congrats on Kyruem, Virizon, Growlithe, oshawott, and any others i may have missed.

Still gonna dual hunt for female frillish, staryu, and shelmet.

Growlie19

Sheesh, I think my shiny charm is broken. I'm right around 5825 encounters on route 5 and I've gotten nothing. Zilch. Nada. Oh well, gotta keep going. Something's gotta shine eventually, right?
At least I'm getting Palkia tomorrow....

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to maldoror on Sewaddle (almost missed that if not for others’ congrats D: ), City Of Delusion on Minccino, TheMaster327 on Kyurem (and getting all those legendaries!), julabard on Purrloin, Shiny Lord on Oshawott, Hells Envoy on Dratini, Storm_Dragoon on Growlithe, and ChaChi!

Thanks for the congrats, ~EternalDarkness~!

--------------

I did 500 REs and 400 SRs today. 22,300 REs on Platinum, 3,700 REs on Black 2, 1,000 SRs on HeartGold. Averaging my RE’d shinies on Platinum, it comes to an average of 9,153 and counting, so that’s a bit of a bummer =\

But I have a feeling I might get a shiny tomorrow…What’s stranger is I feel like I might get 2! What’s not strange at all is that I might go to GameStop tomorrow if I’m not feeling lazy and pick up 2 shiny Palkias while sitting in my car in the parking lot outside :p But who knows, maybe I’ll find a legit shiny tomorrow, too! But I’m not holding my breath. Thinking of Totodile makes me a bit happier as far as hunting goes ;)

Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: I'm calling it a night for shiny hunting a bit early because I want to watch some Korra...And new episodes start on Friday! I started rewatching the episodes less than a week ago, forgetting how soon new ones start!

Last edited:

Polarix

n___n
After just 2558 encounters in the waters of Slowpoke Well I managed to nab my next shiny target, Slowpoke!

Since I was way too tired and excited about finally encountering him, I insta-threw a Pokéball and caught him so I didn't get a picture of the encounter. However, I did come to my senses to get a picture of his shinydex and profile afterwards!

Shiny Slowpoke was caught!

IV's seem to be looking like this:
2 - 10 / 16 - 24 / 7 - 15 / 2 - 10 / 26 / 16 - 24

As far as I know Adamant is pretty bad nature for Slowbro/Slowking, but I'm going to make the best of the situation and EV train him regardless. I just need to decide which I want to evolve him into!

I've already begun my next hunt, which will be encounters in Ilex Forest, I haven't really got any preferences on exactly what I'd like to shine so I'm just going to see if the hunt brings me anything.

Finally, huge congrats on all the recent shinies since I posted last time, some awesome hunts being completed. ^^

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Pfff. Been hatching Squirtle eggs for over 40 hours now. Lost count looong ago.
My 1st shiny MM pokémon is a pain in the ***!

After I'm finally gonna get that Squirtle, I'll go for a SR shiny Rayqauza in SS.

After just 2558 encounters in the waters of Slowpoke Well I managed to nab my next shiny target, Slowpoke!

IV's seem to be looking like this:
2 - 10 / 16 - 24 / 7 - 15 / 2 - 10 / 26 / 16 - 24

It doesn't look great but if you are on White2/Black2 you can enter it in PWT and raise it to 50 to get much more accurate numbers. . Also good luck to Eiger on Squirtle My first MM took me about 50 hours and 1750 eggs. But I got two shinies out of it. Maybe you will too.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
No new shinies for me :( . My MMs in W2 for shiny Pansear are at 195. Also since I've had the misfortune of accidentally deleteing my town in AC:NL :( , I've decided to no longer play that game and I'm back on my hunt for a shiny in union cave in HG for BQ #3, it's at 6145 REs now. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.