• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Kyle Clarthy

Hey again, guys!

Thank you, Paddy and Cp!

And congrats to these guys:
kirkeastment
PaddysTurtwigFanClub
Hells Envoy
Dylz
Sealotic
pokemaster13
dave0100

Take a look at this!

[img139]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/139/bweu.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7404/41l4.jpg[/img139]

Last night I decided it was about time I get a Smeargle or two to help with shiny hunting. So, I grabbed a Smeargle from my Black 2 Shiny Charm game and decided I'd better breed for a couple in case I transfer one to XY and not have any one left on B2. I decided to collect 2 boxes worth in order to try and get a decent nature like Jolly with the ability Technician.

Anyway, I hatched backwards in the beginning, and then when I finished one box, I was hatching forwards through the eggs in the first box. She hatched on the very last egg! So, the 30th egg out of 60 total, if you followed that odd sentence. It was a little shocking and I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. I probably looked like a maniac! I've just finished EV training her in speed and taught her Spore, Super Fang and Foresight, though I don't really know if I should keep Foresight or not. It's not something you're going to use every day, after all. Any suggestions?

Good luck, everyone!

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Congrats Kyle on the Shiny Smeargle.

As for suggestions... Ingrain will prevent you from those pesky moves that might make you run or get taken out of a wild battle, like roar, whirlwind or dragon tail.

Thowra

The Silver Brumby
'sup guys! Congrats to everyone who got shinys since I last came onto these forums (like what, half a year ago? XD)

I haven't been back here for aaaages. Spent 3 months MMing a shiny roggenrola (that was back in April) and I got nothing so I quit the game altogether out of boredom, and it was only when a friend reminded me of those shiny sinnoh legendary dragon giveaways that I decided to play pokemon again. And guess what? After a week of MM breeding, I got a shiny roggenrola! :D

Moving on to either fishing for a shiny horsea (I hope I don't get finneon >.<), or MMing a shiny feebas.

Pretty excited for Y too, I wonder if Yveltal/Xerneas will be shiny locked? Because I'd totally SR for them :D

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
No luck on my end, 600+ for Tynamo.

Otherwise, I can't wait any longer, five days until the release.

And I updated my card too so... I'm hoping to get good at it by the time I get my first Kalos shiny.

Good luck everyone!

Dangertrout

A mere 600 encounters from reaching the RE odds again, and still well over the odds with MM. Hatching the last 5 eggs of this batch today, but I doubt there will be a shiny charmander hidden in them.
I was really hoping for a short hunt, since the last one was over the odds for both MM and RE, but looks like I must resign myself to the same fate as last time.
Hopefully this time I'll get a shiny I actually want, instead of another duplicate I don't need.

TheMaster327

Just found a shiny female Bidoof at Chain 0 on Route 201. Why did this appear when I should have gone and spoken to Oak about the birds? Anyway, Impish nature. Won't take pics of it yet, but I will...

JohnNiles

Congrats to all the recent shinies, everyone seems to be playing more in preparation for XY (5 days to go, woop!)

My rattata hunt is going quite slow with only 65 eggs hatched but I have 300 boxed which Im hoping to get hatched tonight. But.... after 1086 REs inside pinwheel forest a shiny Cottonee appeared! Its male, which annoys me a little bit but its the one I wanted most out of this route, I love the orange colour. Going to carry on here for a while as I would like a Swadloon and a Whirlipede too, so onwards and upwards!

What is really awkward is that usually by the time we get the new game, the Japanese release has already cracked everything we need to know, but in XY we wont know the shiny odds, whats locked out and whether MM is still available right away so I don't know if I will shiny hunt straight after completing the game or not.... does anyone feel the same?

Anyways, good luck to all hunters, Im hoping for at least one more shiny before the new game is released!

I will definitely breed for shinies after speeding through the main game. Not sure about other methods, but everything reported about X/Y so far is "easy mode", so I can't imagine shiny breeding will be less convenient than in Gen V. I believe the daycare is available very early- not sure about dittos though. I hope the idiots don't screw up the GTS from the get-go!

I look at the simultaneous release as an opportunity. We have a chance to get the very first shiny of each new poke ever! The reported number of new pokemon is low, but there are still enough to go around. It will be interesting to see what wins out... dumb luck or obsessive hunting.

There are stores within 10 miles of me that are having a midnight launch, but I'm leaning toward just sleeping in... I don't play games well if I start them late at night and I'd rather just wake up early, putter around for a while, and pick up my game.

edit: yeesh. Seems like every major retailer in Europe is shipping it out early. The wait feels even longer now.

Last edited:

maldoror

It has been a month since my last random encounter shiny; almost 11,000 encounters with the charm. I just hatched my 5,000th egg (all MM, most with the charm) on my white 2 game with only two shinies to show for it (Seviper and Phione). I will keep hunting even if feeling a bit demoralized currently.

Good luck everyone and congrats on your recent shinies!

TheRoaringShinies

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys, congratz on all the recent shinies!

No shiny news to report, but I've reached 3802 REs for P2 Lab. However, I've decided to put that on hold for the moment to hunt drifloon, spiritomb, and rotom since Halloween is approaching. I'm starting with drifloon, and am currently at 300 SRs for it.

As for X and Y, I've pre-ordered both, and have 2 3DSes so I can dual hunt in them. I'm going to play through both games at least once before hunting on them, but I may do 3 playthroughs so that I can use each starter once. I may not do any X and Y hunts for a little while though, since I'm doing the Sinnoh ghosts and then finishing up P2. After those are finished however, I might hunt on X and Y a lot unless they do something to shinies that demotivates me to hunt in them.

Good luck on your hunts everyone!

JohnNiles

Yeeeehaw! I'm back in the saddle again- hatched a shiny Aerodactyl after only a couple of days. I was worried the Staraptor parent I used was a dud, since its name is technically in English, though the different font indicates it came from a Japanese cartridge. I restarted my game so I can choose its hatch location... I guess I will either choose a cave or a tower to hatch it on, not sure which. Pics will come later.

edit: here it is. A rare female, with max Attack and Speed IVs- just what I wanted. My camera's been struggling to focus lately; I shudder to think of what'll happen if I need to take a picture of a Gen VI shiny.

http://i.imgur.com/dKUG4xp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gLr4JP0.jpg

After that, it's a mix of hatching Gastlys and trying to SR for Giratina. Since I can't get the game early, I'll just have to occupy myself as best as possible until the day comes.

Is anyone holding off on hatching a particular shiny until X/Y are out? I've heard some rumors about minor changes that might make a difference, such as more space for pokemon names, and a purchasable battle facility item that can swap Abilities (at least the non-DW ones).

Last edited:
Yeah, I started to hunt again. I decided to finally try out a Badge Quest on my new Sapphire file. However, instead of SRing for a starter (as that Pooochyena would probably be the only one shiny), I decided to continue with my current file and RE for a shiny Whismur. I'm at about 50 encounters so far.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
For a couple of weeks now, I've got back to my Latios hunt on Black 2. Nothing so far... I must be approaching the odds, at least. :( Want to get it before Saturday, for obvious reasons. Don't know if I will...

I plan to SR for the Kanto starters in X, though. I'm curious if they can be shiny, and if they work like most starters or the Johto starters (considering you see their 3D models). I'm nervous I'll end up like Helio and her Reshiram. If they can be SRed, but in the normal starter way, I'm going for Bulbasaur.

Good luck and congrats to everyone here!

PKMN Trainer Tee

Ice Pokemon Fan
Well I'm still working on getting my shiny Vulpix via Masuda Method/Shiny Charm. So far, over 340 eggs and still no luck.
I had better luck two weeks ago, when I obtained my first shiny pokemon using the same method. After 138 eggs, I got my shiny shinx. :3
I'm hoping luck would be on my side for the Vulpix's ability and have Drought so I could use it in battle.

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter
Hey everyone congratz on all of the recent finds, especially Kyle Clarthy on that amazing looking smeargle.
I have recently started hunting again and just yesterday got my first shiny ever off RE
An amazing looking poliwag.
I don't have pictures but he is now a politoad chillin on my white 2 cartridge.
Good luck on all of your hunts and...
*May the shine be with you*

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
So there I was, playing Black 2. I had just gotten a female Anticipation Eevee off the GTS, and was using her to breed for a decent Eevee to evolve into Sylveon. We don't know what Sylveon's Hidden Ability is yet, but it can't be much worse than Cute Charm. But here's the thing- I was riding back and forth along Route 3, right? Hatching the Eggs. And then, suddenly, my thumb slips, and I wind up making a turn, going up into a patch of tall grass. Before I could get back on course, something appeared.

And that something was a Shiny Purrloin. :D Took a few tries, but I nabbed him in a Luxury Ball. Was not about to try weakening him, not when all I had on hand was a level 100 Volcarona and four Eevee Eggs, and he was only level 57. It reminded me of the time I was hatching Eggs in Emerald and came across a Shiny Poochyena, thanks to the Mach Bike's poor handling. Anyway, he's got a Timid nature, which ain't half bad for a Liepard.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to elorasheppard on Cottonee, Kyle Clarthy on Smeargle, Thowra on Roggenrola, Laurelai on Bagon, TheMaster327 on Bidoof, JohnNiles on Aerodactyl, Ipodcheese on Poliwag, and Missingno. Master on Purrloin!

-------------------------

400 REs on all games today. 36,000 REs on Platinum, 13,200 REs on Black 2, and 1,300 REs on HeartGold. It’s far too early to complain about HeartGold, but I still wouldn’t mind something shining to make up for the other two >_> It’s been almost a month since I’ve seen a shiny roll across the screen and sparkle, and as much as I love my Johto starters and was thrilled upon finding them, they don’t have that same effect.

Hope everyone can find some last minute shinies before X/Y are out! Good luck!

PKMN Trainer Gray

hi guys, its been a long time since my last shiny report but i come with shiny news
after catching my shiny Caterpie (Cupcake) at the Viridian Forest and humiliating Brock with my Pidgeotto i decided to hunt in the outskirts of Pewter City
well after days of hunting that slowly turned into weeks i've just find my newest shiny pokémon, Nidoran male
it was exactly the pokémon i was hunting at route 3
he is Naughty nature, not to shabby for a future King

congratz guys on the great job, i've been reading about a lot -and i mean A LOT- of successful hunts and those are always great shiny news
good luck guys on your hunts, specially for those hunters with particularly stubborn targets
read you next time, bye
... no pics yet

i still have a LONG way to Kalos, and to tell you the truth after watching so many leaks of X&Y my hype has been free falling at a rapid pace so i'm not that anxious to play it anymore... not that i won't make my way to Kalos eventually but just not at the moment

Last edited:

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
I have been wondering how you guys hunt roaming shinies? I really want to know since this has always been a mystery to me.

ArdhiS

ok, after 2436RE since my last shiny joltik, i met this shiny
[img139]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1432/8irm.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/494/o7oo.jpg[/img139]
this is my most wanted shiny in route 11 and i got it :D
brave nature, like to thrash about, relative superior and its attack cant be better :D
congrats on recent shinies and good luck on your current hunt everyone :)

Last edited: