• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Thowra

The Silver Brumby
About 1000 SRs and still no shiny Zygarde. I'm actually starting to suspect it's shiny locked due to the battle intro, but I'll SR for another week before giving up on the Zygarde hunt :D

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
No friggin' way. Less than 1 hour after my shiny Audino I get my shiny Eevee back. This time I caught it. :D I'm considering going for a 2nd now, making one a Flareon, keeping the other an Eevee.

http://i41.*******.com/24wvvyb.jpg

It has 3 maxed IV's, DEF, S.DEF and S.ATK, but his SPE is like absolute 0, further brought down by Quiet nature, lol.

Last edited:

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
^ that can still be an excellent Sylveon or a Vaporeon though Millennin, congrants!

Anyone have any Japanese or foreign dittos? I've been trying every single way to get a shiny but no luck ugh

Kyle Clarthy

Hey guys!

Congratulations to everyone who has found a shiny recently!

I just wanted to post this and I'm not sure if anyone has already posted, but I'm sorry if you have.

I saw this thread on GameFAQs about chain fishing. Has anyone done this? I know I tried to begin with, but I didn't actually have a Suction Cups Pokémon and I failed after 7 fishing encounters.

Anyway, I got an Octillery earlier and tried chain fishing to see for myself what they were talking about.

The fisherman person guy says that if you fish up consecutive Pokémon, you have a chance to find rare Pokémon.
That could be interpreted in a couple of different ways, but it doesn't really seem to alter the appearance rate of Pokémon.

I set about fishing, and saw Basculin. I wasn't too impressed with that selection, but Poliwhirl appeared a few encounters later. I fished up ten Pokémon and ran from each of them. I fished up another ten, running from them each time.

On the 24th encounter, I knew immediately I had fished up a SHINY! It was a shiny Poliwhirl!!!!

OMG, it's so adorable in PokemonAmie! I'll have to take some photos tomorrow! Because I already have a Politoed, he will be evolved into a Poliwrath! He's a naughty nature!

So, it looks like chain fishing is actually a thing. Does anyone want to give this a try right now and report back with your results???

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
After searching and finding nothing last night, I went to the Friend Safari first thing this morning and searched a couple safaris and caught a shiny Galvantula. I want an Eevee next or maybe a Pikachu but it seems the ones I get are ones I'm not searching for.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
No friggin' way. Less than 1 hour after my shiny Audino I get my shiny Eevee back. This time I caught it. :D I'm considering going for a 2nd now, making one a Flareon, keeping the other an Eevee.

http://i41.*******.com/24wvvyb.jpg

It has 3 maxed IV's, DEF, S.DEF and S.ATK, but his SPE is like absolute 0, further brought down by Quiet nature, lol.

DUDE! Congrats on Reclaiming that Eevee! ...THat was quick.
Alrigtht, Swirilix...SHINE SOON! I want to hit the Safari!

After searching and finding nothing last night, I went to the Friend Safari first thing this morning and searched a couple safaris and caught a shiny Galvantula. I want an Eevee next or maybe a Pikachu but it seems the ones I get are ones I'm not searching for.

Ohh~ Who has Pikachu in their Friend Safari~~ [I really want a Pikachu with Lightning Rod...then hunt for a Light Ball...if it is still possible]

Ehm...Back to shinies.
I stopped hunting after a few eggs hatched last night, I was just to tired. But...I have this little feeling that my little Swirlix will shine soon. VERY soon. Let us hope my feeling is right~

Cheeseonaplate

Does anybody have a shiny pokemon of the Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar line that they'll be willing to trade for a Sassy shiny Magnezone? (not sure about its IVs)

Puddingg

Clefairy Lover ^_^
Finally evolved my Noibat I caught today after EVing it :3

[img139]http://gyazo.com/f96c675f3e389da04673ead084b52e02.png[/img139]

I'm so happy it's a good nature (naive) and has REALLY nice IVs for a random shiny (3/29/23/31/31/26) Only "bad" thing is I won't even have the option to speed tie other Noiverns but oh well :]

TheMaster327

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Snapshot_20131021_23_zps3c643cd1.jpg[/img139]

Yup, got the Mega Ring just now, so I thought I'd share this with you all.

prd797

Quiet Poster
Ohh~ Who has Pikachu in their Friend Safari~~ [I really want a Pikachu with Lightning Rod...then hunt for a Light Ball...if it is still possible]

Definitely possible as the Pikachu I caught in Santalune Forest was holding one. Would suspect that the % chance of Pikachu holding a light ball stays consistent for any location it is can be caught.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
My X and Y games continue not to be lucky...

I'm at just over 32 hours in X and I'm about to get my 8th badge - still no shinies. I'm looking forward to unlocking that friend safari soon to see if I have any better luck there.

I have done 52 Hours (about 40 just REing) to no success, but don't give up! I am not stopping until I get a Shiny Phantump or Bergmite!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE YOU CAN CHECK HOW MANY RE'S YOU HAVE DONE?

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
While looking for a swirzee or something like that to fill up my pokédex I encountered a random flabebe. did not expect that!!! My first 6th gen shiny, and 2nd shiny in this game. Not even 24 hours apart O_O

Edit: I can't see the difference between a shiny and a regular flabébé

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Oh...em...gee....!!! finally I have all fire starters gen I - V in shiny form!!! Shiny Chimchar hatched... I am so excited. Ok here is what has been happening. I have not had much game time lately but when I have most of it has been playing X so what little time I had for B2 and W2 I have been slowly gathering up eggs in both versions. OK as I only have 8 free boxes on B2 I got that done quicker and began hatching. Well ok so I fill up all 8 boxes and I get 2 Corphish (still waiting for a shiny to hatch with dragon dance and superpower lol) and 2 of each of the three starters I still need(ed) as shiny, Chimchar, Turtwig and Oshawott. So I do my thing where I get three from the box and then 2 new eggs from the daycare man and on the 2nd egg the shiny hatched. I couldn't believe it at first and had to double check but it is definitely shiny. So now that is done with I only need Turtwig and Oshawott before I go for gen VI starters (I have yet to get a foreign ditto or anything else prepared for MMing on X yet as I still need to complete main story). Oh wow I didn't think i'd get a shiny so quick in this hunt. I still have 2 Chimchar boxes on B2 and another 3 on W2 to hatch so I may get another shiny or more from those. Oh wow brilliant shiny Chimchar. And that marks my shiny drought over, it has been a month since I got shiny Piplup.

Ok blanket congratulations to all new shinies and good luck to everyone especially on gen VI games!!

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
I have done 52 Hours (about 40 just REing) to no success, but don't give up! I am not stopping until I get a Shiny Phantump or Bergmite!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE YOU CAN CHECK HOW MANY RE'S YOU HAVE DONE?

I'm at 65 hours. ^^; Haven't yet found a way to check REs, not sure there is one, but maybe someone else knows more. Good luck with the Phantump/Bergmite though. :)

Seems there are WAAAY too many shinies lately for me to congratulate everyone so another blanket congrats. Thanks to everyone who put up pictures though, I love seeing all the new 3D and 6 Gen shinies!

Also, if anyone on here wants to add me on X/Y my friend code is 4682-8929-7592. I imagine there is a thread somewhere on serebii just for friend codes but I'd rather link up with some fellow shiny hunters than completely random internet peeps. Reply here or send me a PM or something.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I think that fishing thing works... I've just found a shiny Corsola on a 'chain' of 36! ^_^ (after an unsuccessful chain of 79).

Yay! My first X/Y shiny. Now I'd like my Fennekin to shine.

mia100

DUDE! Congrats on Reclaiming that Eevee! ...THat was quick.
Alrigtht, Swirilix...SHINE SOON! I want to hit the Safari!

Ehm...Back to shinies.
I stopped hunting after a few eggs hatched last night, I was just to tired. But...I have this little feeling that my little Swirlix will shine soon. VERY soon. Let us hope my feeling is right~

I hunted Pikachu in the friend safari, put my compound eyes Vivillon at the front and found two light balls quite quicky using the thief move that Vivillon can learn. I traded the spare away already though. I also did the same during my RE chansey hunt and got 23 light balls. I think I'm wasting all my luck on finding rare held items and there's none left for shinies. If my sister finds another before my first, I may have to never talk to her again! :) This shiny hunting is a serious business.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Anyone have any Japanese or foreign dittos? I've been trying every single way to get a shiny but no luck ugh

The easiest way to get a Japanese Ditto is through the GTS. Catch a Ditto of your own and search the GTS for Dittos, filtering by "different region" and "want Pokemon you already have". If you can't find anything foreign, then put your own Ditto up for trade and ask for a Ditto in return. It took me two tries before I got a Japanese one, which was probably about an hour of waiting. If you aren't far enough in the game to catch Ditto and you have a female Kalos or Kanto starter, catch a male Pokemon that can breed with it and breed another starter. Then put your starter on the GTS and ask for a Ditto. Then trade that Ditto for a foreign Ditto if the one you get isn't Japanese. That's what I did.

Very early on in the game (around 2 Badges), I SR'd female Charmander from Sycamore, caught a male Scraggy, bred Scraggy and Charmander, traded the baby Charmander for a Ditto, and then traded that Ditto for a Japanese Ditto. Took me a couple of hours, tops, and then I was able to MM very early on.

Atomcrasher

<-- Favorite Shiny
Ok guys so after reading Kyle Clarthy's post and looking at the thread on Gamefaqs i decided to try it myself and at a chain of only 34 i got this: http://imgur.com/SIjvdJ5 so yeah it looks like fishing chains do exist, as for the shiny itself i had a inkay with suction cups that had been fainted at the front of my party and a modest synch after it, the clauncher didn't get the modest synch instead it got a brave nature which is pretty bad. I think i'm going to keep on fishing chaining on route 8 to get a better clauncher or a staryu.