• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Douchemon

Scientist
Has it been confirmed that saving/loading does not break a Fishing chain ?

Hey guys! Im back after completing first playthrough of Pokemon X I have returned and have a story to tell......
Well, I heard the crazy stories of people getting multiple shinies from the friend safari. So despite my previous dislike for RE i decided to give it a go. So i went for Ground and after 500 or so REs.....
BOOM

SHINY TRAPINCH!

One of my favorite ever shinies in 3D! Im so happy! And i just recieved a japanese Trevenant from the gts so my mm for Phantump soon! Gl to all!

Mays

Congratulations! That Lanturn will look beautiful (if you're going to evolve it, that is)!

Yep, going to evolve it. Is it any good in battle though? Might use it against friends when/if we battle.
Now I need a Remoraid, Clauncher and two Poliwhirls and I'll be happy :p Already got a Clauncher but I'm sure someone will trade it for a Skrelp.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio

Sorry to make a new post, but i don't want this to happen to anyone here, so i want everyone to see this if possible...

When you encounter a Horde, it can have two formations... 3b2f or 2b3f

If its 3 at the front and 2 at the back... then this is how the Horde will look...

*1*2*
3*4*5

Numbers 1, 2 & 4 will be the top 3 on your bottom screen, but they will align themselves so that the corners become 1 & 2, and #4 is the centre.

Numbers 3 & 5 will be alongside your active Pokemon.

OR

It can look like this...

This is how the Horde will look with 3 at the back & 2 at the front...

1*2*3
*4*5*

Numbers 2, 4 & 5 will be the top 3 on your bottom screen, but they will align themselves so that the corners become 4 & 5, and #2 is the centre.

Numbers 1 & 3 will be alongside your active Pokemon.

I'm sure most of you already know this, but since that particular yt'er didn't, i thought it best to post here.

Last edited:

Douchemon

Scientist
Sorry to make a new post, but i don't want this to happen to anyone here, so i want everyone to see this if possible...

When you encounter a Horde, its 3 at the front and 2 at the back... however that is not how they correspond to the bottom screen, from where you will select your attacks...

This is how the Horde will look... 2 at the back, 3 at the front...

*1*2*
3*4*5

Numbers 1, 2 & 4 will be the top 3 on your bottom screen.

Numbers 3 & 5 will be alongside your active Pokemon.

OR

It can look like this...

This is how the Horde will look with 3 at the back & 2 at the front...

1*2*3
*4*5*

Numbers 2, 4 & 5 will be the top 3 on your bottom screen.

Numbers 1 & 3 will be alongside your active Pokemon.

Easy way to fix this is to run with stun spore / thunderwave and do a status effect on all of them to check their positions.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Multiple 60+ chains and no shinies yet. Really want a Carvanha as none of the other shinies interest me. (already got Dratini, Clauncher and Gyrados)

I'm either doing something wrong or incredibly unlucky. What's everyone's favourite spot?

I'd hazard a guess the other way and say you're actually not that unlucky, it's just that some other people have been very lucky and our view is biased. The rate is obviously reduced when CFing but do you really think that GF would make it so low that the we should be genuinely expecting shinies in all chains under like 20 and get annoyed when we go over around 50? I think we just have a lot of people eager to try and so more shinies overall. True, some people have like 6 or maybe more CF shinies but you don't see the work that goes into it behind the scenes. They may have gotten lucky and got it on the 7th pokemon but how many chains did they try and break before they got the lucky one? I reckon if you add up everyones attempts then the shinies will average out to be a lot more than just a couple of -20 chains. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. Keep going though, you'll get one eventually! :D

Personally my favourite spots are Route 19, Route 4, Ambrette Town and Azure Bay. All with a Good Rod.

Douchemon

Scientist
Can someone test if save/loading screws up a CF chain? Best way would be someone that has not fished over 10 times.

Fish 2 times, save, load, fish 2 times more, check at Route 16, is the longest chain is 4 or higher it works.

Luneth777

Shiny Hunter
HNI_0022.JPG

Got these two recently. Charmander took 834 eggs to hatch shiny via MM. Thsi spinda appeared randomly in a horde while training the charmander. Why not?

edit: nvm pics for spinda. file is having problems

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I've got some new shinies. First is Electabuzz which I got at the Friend Safari in 218 REs, Then I got Dedenne who was my target in the same area in 22 REs. Afterwards I had a lot of chain breaks then finally after that in a chain of just 2 I found shiny Skrelp. Now I'm going to do a MM hunt for shiny Inkay. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

anothername

thx I had some idea about that but I was in such a hurry and my heart just stopped when i killed it

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
Managed to catch my only other shiny since the Rhyhorn I got in the safari zone way back in ruby (excluding the scripted Gyarados and some always shiny event legendaries) - it's a female Pyroar I coincidentally caught in the friend safari, s'pretty cool.

Well after hearing about this fish chaining and my boyfriend finding three shinies within hours. I decided to try for my self. Didnt find anything at a chain of 120 or all night. So I decided to rest and try the next day a few hours of chaining found a shiny Horsea. Great ability and I just adore her. My third female shiny. I forgot what chain I was at.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Congrats on all your shinies everyone! They seem so easy to get...like the amazing one I just got....

Shiny Imposter Ditto.jpg

Shiny Imposter Ditto!! It has 31 IVs in HP and SP ATK too! I thought being able to catch Ditto in the Friend Safari was crazy enough...but this? So awesome! This is my next shiny after my whole crazy Safari Zone with one ball left story. Damn I have dumb luck. It almost didn't want to get caught...had to resort to Repeat Balls because it transformed into my Magikarp. Wasn't fast enough to take a pic of the encounter before it transformed

I wish Shiny Ditto would stay shiny when it transforms though...

I'm loving shiny Clauncher/Clawitzer, it looks like Zoidberg! Woop woop woop woop!

Last edited:

anothername

Daamn, next time bro, just be careful!

Trying out the safari zone for the first time, going to RE here soon.

thx I am doing it right now wont stop until I get it

Douchemon

Scientist
Adamant Horsea and Quirky skrelp tonight. Not to shabby. Gonna look for a second one of both to pass to the wife.

In hopes of trying to find a shiny Octillery or shiny Lanturn, I ended up finding another shiny Alomomola... this one is actually really good. Timid Nature (not great, by any means, but it boosts speed), 20 HP IV's, 31 Special Attack IV's (I'd probably use this for breeding purposes, if I ever need to), and Healer as it's ability (I would have preferred Hydration, but we can switch that with the Ability Capsule now).

Actually, I'd be willing to trade either one of them for anything within reason.

Anyway... congratulations to all recent shiny encounters, and best of luck to any and all future shiny hunts and hunters!