• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Nice to see more shinies overnight, congrats people :D

Am currently tying up my EV training of a Shiny Poliwag... Soon to be a Shiny Poliwrath once i get through with it.

Have chosen my next Shiny target, am going to try and get a Shiny Smeargle, as i've always wanted one, and its great to see a Shiny come out of the ball every time you go shiny hunting. However before that i'll be checking my current FS's for one which holds Kirlia, for my Sync'ers.

I mainly wanna get a whole bunch for Horde fighting. I'm hoping it will mean that should i find a Shiny in a Horde, it will have a good nature too... Plus it means for my future FS hunts i can use a Sync'er as my lead.

EDIT: Well sadly, i don't have a Kirlia Friend Safari... but i did have an Abra one(which is great actually, as they're pretty much a sure capture with Ultra Balls), so i'll be capturing in there for a little while... who knows i might luck into a Shiny Abra or Espurr. :D

EDIT #2: Actually seems ultra ball luck has turned on me lol, am now losing 1/3 Abra... So if one does shine, i may have no choice but to chuck a Quick Ball at it and hope that it sticks.... little blighters :D

Last edited:

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
After searching a lot of the morning, I found my 8th shiny and first shiny starter, a shiny Braixen, in the Friend Safari. My next goal is a Wartortle.

Edit: Just got my second shiny of the day, a Bibarel, while trying for Wartortle and it came just as I was thinking about leaving the Safari.

Last edited:

Schmidli

MM Charmander male lax. only 54 eggs

About a week ago I decided to give hunting scraggy or gulpin a go using sweet scent on route 5 on my Y version. After not too long I got myself a shiny gulpin, one of my all time favourite shinies. It has a bold nature which is really good for swalot I believe.

I've been trying chain-fishing a bit and it's paying off. So far I have a shiny dragalge, two remoraids, a relicanth and a magikarp. Yeah, it's a bit too easy but hey, I have a shiny Dragalge which I'm not opposed to in the slightest :)

Currently I'm looking to get a shiny honedge using the masuda method. Last time I got a shiny through breeding was a snivy about 2 years ago. I have no idea how many eggs I've hatched so far but it's not much, about 60 or so.

Last edited:

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Well, I thought I'd try the Friend Safari since I've beaten the Elite Four now and last night I found a Shiny Nuzleaf! Not my fave Pokemon but I'm interested in getting to know Shriftys a bit more and I think they look better in shiny colours than regular colours. I was just about to post about it here when I ran across a Shiny Sigilyph! Both of them have pretty poor IVs apart from the two guaranteed 31s so they probably won't be team pokemon but still, pretty cool. I was suprised at just how quickly I got them though (258REs and 172REs respectively), does feel just a LITTLE bit cheat-y. I think after a couple more FS or CF shinies I'll have to go back to HG or White and finish off one of my outstanding, regular-rate hunts.

Nuzleaf:

Sigilyph:

Congrats to everyone else on the shinies too! There's just.....so many. So interested to see what the actual rates are. How do we actually find out? Are we just waiting for someone to take a cartridge apart and look through all the code? :O

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Has anyone else had the idea to store a few boxes of eggs they want to MM and then run around with 5 of them in the grass of the friend safari?

can anyone here say "two birds with one stone!" :D

that's what ill be doind for the foreseeable !

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Ok, my hunt for Fennekin is already at 30 boxes T_T will have to start releasing them, so sad released starters, hope the shiny appears soon, also, today was the first time I seriously tried the pokeradar.... and guess what, Shiny Smeargle!!!! :D wanted to kept trying to keep the chain up, but it broke on like 58, o well, at least I got my first shiny by chaining :D, and Congrats everyone on their shiny hunts, wish me luck on these Fennekin eggs... hope shiny soon:D

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Has anyone else had the idea to store a few boxes of eggs they want to MM and then run around with 5 of them in the grass of the friend safari?

Sorry for the double post now, but...

I don't really see how that would work. It would take ages to hatch the eggs because you'd be encoutering Pokemon all the time. And then once you actually hatched them all, you'd have to keep going in and out to change them. I personally think it's easier to either just run around somewhere with no interruptions, OR focus on as many encounters as possible. Better to do one thing well than two things not very well. But hey, if you want to give it a try and it works for you than I guess thats great. :)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio

I don't really see how that would work. It would take ages to hatch the eggs because you'd be encoutering Pokemon all the time. And then once you actually hatched them all, you'd have to keep going in and out to change them. I personally think it's easier to either just run around somewhere with no interruptions, OR focus on as many encounters as possible. Better to do one thing well than two things not very well. But hey, if you want to give it a try and it works for you than I guess thats great. :)

What doodle said. Plus it won't make a difference to what's in the eggs either, those are fixed upon collection, so really, you're just slowing yourself down on two counts.

Oh and thoughts on this... If you encountered a Shiny Abra in the wild, would you use a master ball, if you had one at your disposal...or would you risk the teleportation?

Last edited:
Decided to try out the consecutive fishing thing and it definitely works. 46 CF's and i now have my 2nd shiny this gen. Welcome to the shiny team Corsola! (i'm never going to use this pokemon -________- )

Typhlox

Typhlosion Trainer
I was horde hunting for a Shiny Murkrow on route 15, when I ran across a shiny Foongus instead. It wasn't what I set out to get, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Good luck with your hunts everybody!

shinny

Latest shiny <3
I'm hunting for a shuppet non stop since 21st and seems it doesnt want to shine for me, I guess this FS is cursed xD
Meanwhile got 1 phantump (on the very same FS) and 1 luvdisc (just went testing CF and got it within 10 minutes :D)

Let's see when it will decide to shine for me :/

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111

It's nice to do when you get tired of just hatching eggs. It's like putting it on the backburner.
I did that in Black and found a shiny Alomomola and hatched my shiny Purrloin the same day.

Not sure if my game is shiny free or if I'm just unlucky... 28 boxes full of squirtles...
Man will it be a bother to release/trade them all over

Allrianne

After 6 hours of running around FS, I finally caught a shiny Spiritomb, quiet natured,IVs: 30/30/28/26/8/7. Not sure whether I'm going to EV train it for my team because I've already got a ghost type in my team.

Current VI gen shinies total of 7 :)

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I put my shiny Klefki hunt on hold for now, i'm gonna do a shiny hunt for Lapras, so far I have a box full of Lapras Eggs, and i'm gonna fill up another box of Lapras Eggs. I should really work on beating my Pokemon Y's storyline, but I really want a Shiny Lapras! So i'm gonna do this Lapras hunt as a side hunt.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter

I am pretty sure that steps do not count in the friend safari. I carried some fennekin eggs in the friend safari (with my flame body talonflame) and ran around for a little while and they still came out saying that they don't appear to be close to hatching. I may be wrong but that is what I experienced.

As for my bq hunt and my fs hunt, neither has produced a shiny yet. Hopefully will get one sometime tonight though! :) I'm hunting in a fairy friend safari but am keeping my actual target a secret! :)

Edit: just found shiny Floette in the Fairy safari. Wasn't my target but I am still happy! :) She has a Gentle nature (+ Sp. Def, - Def) which I think is really good! :)

Last edited:

Mays

Still searching for a shiny Seadra/Staryu/Clauncher (I already have a Clauncher but I'm sure someone would trade a shiny Skrlep for it) with no luck. Charmander MM is on hold too. Might sweet scent hunt for a shiny Trevenant.

⊙ᴗ⊙
Been MMing shiny Froakie for the past 2 days now and am just about to hit 700 eggs. Really crossing my fingers and hoping it decides to show itself before 1000.