• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

I'm not used to hunting for shinies. this is actualy the first time I'm MMing for shinies because after seeing how
easy people are getting their shinies I was like, Hmm Maybe I should try it out.
Man was I wrong lol

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I'm not used to hunting for shinies. this is actualy the first time I'm MMing for shinies because after seeing how
easy people are getting their shinies I was like, Hmm Maybe I should try it out.
Man was I wrong lol

Rule number 1 while shiny hunting is: no matter what method you use, its never easy to find a shiny. ;) rule number 2 is never give up and 3 is eat 2 pieces of fruit per day but im not sure if that has anything to do with the odds....

~EternalDarkness~

Ghost Type User
Congrats to everyone on their latest shinies, there's been so many.

So I didn't think I'd be posting here again any time soon, but last night when I was levelling up my Litleo I found a shiny Wingull in a horde encounter. Careful nature which is pretty bad and I don't know what its IV's are like. Not complaining as this is only the second time I've had a completely random shiny after a shiny Wurmple I caught when I was a kid.

HNI_0033 (2).JPG

I'm interested to try chain fishing so I'll have a look into that soon. Good luck everyone!

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
The way I do MM (quite successfully I should add) is save in front of the man when he has 1 egg ready, then collect 5, hatch them all and soft reset if there is no shiny. That's the method I've always used since black and I've probably gotten about 20MM pokemon

That's what I always used to do. But in X/Y I've been collecting a box full and then giving out the ones I don't need over wonder trade.

Sigh. I'm up to 2750 soft resets for shiny Fennekin in Y now. It's kind of annoying seeing everyone else on youtube getting their shiny starters in much less SR...

Guro

SHSL Teen Blogger
Last edited:

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Looks like I've gone on another dry streak. It's been quite a while since my last shiny, but I guess there's no other option than to just keep going at it.

Allrianne

Just caught myself a shiny corphish, and it's purple, my favourite colour. I was actually looking for a shiny Goldeen, but I'm happy with my purple Corphish.

Going to spend a few hours in the FS looking for some shiny ghosts.

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
Congrats to all the new shinies. I decide to to get a shiny pumpkaboo since it's cute ( might beat mareep's level cuteness D: ). I want chain but I guess you can't chain in tall grass so I might try my luck getting a shiny swirilx.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Got myself a Shiny Sandile(w/Anger Point... Yay for Hidden Abilities) in the very same Dark FS as Inkay... he wasn't Adamant in nature, but he at least had a +Atk Nature, Brave.

Since i got lucky and caught these two rather quickly, i've already started EV training them... beginning with attack(love those weepinbell/arbok hordes :D )

I'll be hunting for a Timid Shiny Smeargle later today, as thankfully i believe the person i added has now been online at the same time as me. :D

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Welp.. That was fast. Shiny Clauncher after only 172 eggs!

I can't believe how fast this shone but I'm happy nonetheless! Clawizter is one of my favorite Pokemon this gen so I'm very pleased I got it shiny. I haven't checked the IVs yet but she has a Modest nature of course. I'll probably EV train it later but for now I've decided to jump into another MM hunt for Carbink! I haven't seen it shiny so it'll be a total surprise when it hatches. :]

Good luck everyone.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Congrats everyone on their shinies, I still haven't run into one even though I am breeding with a japanese ditto.

Has anyone considered making an album or collection of some sort of all the shiny forms of X/Y pokémon? Or do I still have to read through all of this thread to try and figure out what I should try and hunt for?

I'd love to know what a shiny Dragalge looks like.

Last edited:

Thowra

The Silver Brumby
Took a break from SRing for shiny Zygarde to confirm if the rumours of chain fishing for shinies is true...got a chain of 40 before it broke, chained for about 150 more and got nothing, moved to another spot, chained around 40 and BOOM shiny Skrelp :D

So I think the chain fishing thing works XD

Now back to SR for Zygarde. I REALLY hope it isn't shiny locked...

Keadin

The way I do MM (quite successfully I should add) is save in front of the man when he has 1 egg ready, then collect 5, hatch them all and soft reset if there is no shiny. That's the method I've always used since black and I've probably gotten about 20MM pokemon

That's a pretty awesome tip, thanks. I discovered that a reset right before the egg is about to hatch doesn't change anything, so clearly the contents of the egg are determined as you pick it up. I'll have to try your method soon, I still have some shinies on my wishlist xD

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
Just caught a Shiny Spheal at a Friend Safari. I threw a Quick Ball and got a critical capture.

Shiny Lord

Well, after taking a small break from hunting I'm ready to go at it again! I'll be MMing for Clauncher this time. It took me awhile but I finally got a foreign parent with good IVs so I'm all ready to go. After all those easy shinies from the Friend Safari I wouldn't mind a long hunt this time around, as long as it isn't something like 5k eggs lol! Also, why doesn't the day care guy stop to tell you he has an egg!? Makes things a bit more annoying now but I'll live.

Anyways, gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

You know he has an egg if he is facing forward!

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Earlier, I caught a shiny Quilladin. I want a Shiny Frogadier next so I can use them on X whenever I get it. I may try chain fishing later if I get bored searching for my 11th Safari shiny.

Edit: All right, I got a shiny Eevee!

Edit 2: And another, this time my second Shiny Octillery.

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
That's a pretty awesome tip, thanks. I discovered that a reset right before the egg is about to hatch doesn't change anything, so clearly the contents of the egg are determined as you pick it up. I'll have to try your method soon, I still have some shinies on my wishlist xD

Actually, the RNG means that if you save in front of the man and SR after hatching 5, it will be the same every time. I tried this and I got the same egg each time. This was also the case in BW2.

You can solve this by rejecting the first egg when you boot the game up, then biking around until he has an egg.

JohnNiles

I hate the day care guy. Know why? His backwards baseball cap makes it hard for me to tell whether he's facing backwards or forwards. Why is he wearing his cap backward??? To look cool? It looks terrible.

On the plus side, I've figured out my next 3 hatching targets. I just wish one of them wasn't one that is commonly found in the wild at safari-type levels. Keep getting Carvanhas without Speed Boost on the GTS. >_<