• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Ahniolator on Goomy, WolfGamingLive on Drifloon, City Of Delusion on Clauncher, fallencircus on Eevee, CapesC on Spoink, zozo on Goomy, Jake. on Froakie, VaneRiven on Mawile, LeafeonTheVoid on Dratini, Uber_Fuller on Fennekin, and all the other shinies!

I find the Pickup ability to be the most consistent for getting Moon stones and Sun stones. Zigzagoon and Aipom have Pickup among others... I'm not sure if Sentret can have it.

Oh neat, I never really used pickup pokemon much except when I had a Lillipup early in my White version…I always just thought they picked up junk :x Thanks for letting me know about it though, I’ll check it out :)

---------------------

Actually, on the topic of getting a Moon Stone, I got one today! I don’t know why it took me so long to think up, but I realized I could just buy TMs at the Game Corner (I’d actually spent a couple hours there yesterday, so I already had the coins) and sell them, so I bought 7 and got 7k for them, deposited it to my mom, and she got the Moon Stone for me :) And then I took all my money back and got 50 more pokeballs since I only had 17 left, which I don’t feel is a safe amount when it comes to shinies.

Anyways, just 400 REs today…Not really expecting anything on Black 2 or HeartGold because they’re both early in the hunt…And not really expecting anything on Platinum because at this point, why would I? I’m still happy about Sentret, anyways.

Good luck, everyone!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Hatched a shiny Modest Fennekin I think last week Tuesday in just 48 eggs! And a shiny Froakie hatched on my last egg of the last batch I put in the PC. Probably hatched around 70 eggs for for this Froakie, although that Bold nature sucked big fat Amoonguss. This is the fastest I've ever gotten any Shinies, just a week and two after X and Y came out!

WyvernTamer

Hey guys quick question im New to trying to breed shiny pokemon with the MM method and just wanted to know in X&Y
making the parents hold an everstone or D. knot to carry over IV's and nature doesn't stop them from hatching as a shiny right?
so far 234 Mawile egg's and no shiny yet

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
I am at about 1300 soft resets for a shiny Froakie and I think it's time to call it quits. I know it is early but considering others have gotten them by 900-1200 makes me want to just breed one later. Ugh I guess I will just give it until Halloween but anything past that is wishful thinking!

Don't give up, some people take 14000 soft resets for a shiny, some people take 3, it doesn't matter, you'll get it eventually, and that's all that matters. If you really want it, stick with it.

not589

Hey guys quick question im New to trying to breed shiny pokemon with the MM method and just wanted to know in X&Y
making the parents hold an everstone or D. knot to carry over IV's and nature doesn't stop them from hatching as a shiny right?

You should be fine:)
Don't ever expect to get a shiny quick. There is no predicting, all luck.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

I used Everstone and Destiny Knot when MMing for Clauncher. I ended up hatching a shiny one after only 172 eggs so I don't think they interfere with the odds at all. Good luck!

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
KO'd a shiny Plusle. Rare in the first place so this kind of sucks. I thought I had a False Swiper on my party but nope and then over-thought what Pokemon I should KO etc. Oh well...

Managed to earn the little guy back through PokeRadar. Based PokeRadar! It's not even that great of a shiny but like hell I'm letting one get away from me...and it's pretty damn cute :3

For those that are trying to pick up the radar, I have my own insights for it now. Every time I followed these rules the only times my chain broke was when there were only 2 or 3 shaking grass (I broke the chain at 30 probably like 4 times).
1. I simply went for the hard shaking grass and only that.
2. If there are multiple hard shaking grass, I went for the furthest.
3. If there were 1 or 2 shaking patches I reset.
4. I did not avoid edges at all.
5. I never went for grass that was only 1 step away.
6. Regardless of the grass shaking next to/adjacent to other grass, I went for it.

So yeah. I never once counted how many steps away a shake was, I just went for the hard grass. If I couldn't tell, I reset. Later on I reset at the 1 and 2 shaking grass but before 20 or so I did go for it without problems-- I avoided it later because like I said, I had broken my chain on 3 shakes/2 shakes before.

Last edited:

WyvernTamer

Ah really that is a relief to hear :) I just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing it the wrong way or preventing myself from getting one.
Thanks (City of Delusion and Not589) i'll countinue hatching Mawile's till i get one. Thank you and Good luck to you as well!!!
All of you Good luck!!

not589

I was Nature breeding for a Jolly Gible.. Took WAAYYYY too long and I'm kind of dissapointed I didn't find a shiny in the process.

supdawg

KidsPTC

Don't give up, some people take 14000 soft resets for a shiny, some people take 3, it doesn't matter, you'll get it eventually, and that's all that matters. If you really want it, stick with it.

I appreciate the motivation! I just want to play the game :/
I purchased the game 4 hours early and haven't even played it

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
Managed to earn the little guy back through PokeRadar. Based PokeRadar! It's not even that great of a shiny but like hell I'm letting one get away from me...and it's pretty damn cute :3

For those that are trying to pick up the radar, I have my own insights for it now. Every time I followed these rules the only times my chain broke was when there were only 2 or 3 shaking grass (I broke the chain at 30 probably like 4 times).
1. I simply went for the hard shaking grass and only that.
2. If there are multiple hard shaking grass, I went for the furthest.
3. If there were 1 or 2 shaking patches I reset.
4. I did not avoid edges at all.
5. I never went for grass that was only 1 step away.
6. Regardless of the grass shaking next to/adjacent to other grass, I went for it.

So yeah. I never once counted how many steps away a shake was, I just went for the hard grass. If I couldn't tell, I reset. Later on I reset at the 1 and 2 shaking grass but before 20 or so I did go for it without problems-- I avoided it later because like I said, I had broken my chain on 3 shakes/2 shakes before.

What do you do when all of them seems like they are shaking at same amount?

Cmack102

I was simply training in Victory Road and I came across a Shiny Druddigon!

Next hunt is for a Shiny Aron.

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
I'm on cloud nine! ^.^
After days of all my friends finding multiple shinies one after another I finally found my first and very own!
Found a shiny horsea after chain fishing 60+ :3 it's female with modest nature.
I really thought I was going to end up with a shiny skrelp (if I ended up getting lucky enough to find a shiny at all) because I saw tons more skrelp than horsea
For all those doubting or unsure of the chain fishing method, REALLY TRY IT! today was my first attempt at it too and not maybe 45mins into it(I lost track of how many chains but I can just look at my clock for the time xD ) I found it. Definitely get something with suction cups that helped me a ton!

Skydra

I suppose I'll be getting into the groove of the Shiny hunting this generation with fishing chains, hopefully with Clauncher, and return to Poke Radar chaining in Kalos. My first target may end up a Smeargle or Swirlix, since there are several nice patches of grass on Route 7.

ShinyVulpix

Pokemon Breeder
After great success the first time I went Chain Fishing (caught 2 shinies, and have traded them away), I decided that I'd hunt for something I actually want.
It took 3 days of failure, but today... He finally arrived.
My shiny Corphish ! :D (Now a Crawdaunt)
I'm never going to use him as his nature sucks, but hey. I have my target.
Next up... More chain fishing for the following :
- Magikarp - Luvdisc (Not to catch, to thief Heart Scales from) - Dragalge - Relicanth - Sharpedo

Good luck to everyone, and Congratulations for previous successes !

RNG_Reporter

I just found my first ever shiny. Friend Safari.

SHINY IVYSAUR!

Guess what move it knows? Take Down.

Guess what happened? It killed itself before it was caught.

It shook 3 times over and over and over again in a Nest Ball.. wouldn't click.

Then it died... it DIED.

I'm going to cry.