• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
I just found my first ever shiny. Friend Safari.

SHINY IVYSAUR!

Guess what move it knows? Take Down.

Guess what happened? It killed itself before it was caught.

It shook 3 times over and over and over again in a Nest Ball.. wouldn't click.

Then it died... it DIED.

I'm going to cry.

Aw, that sucks. That's why I usually bring sleep on my team.

RNG_Reporter

Aw, that sucks. That's why I usually bring sleep on my team.

im now adding a ghost to my catching squad. i have wobbuffet, vivillion, etc. stun spore didn't affect it.

this is so depressing.

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997

SHINY IVYSAUR!

Then it died... it DIED.

I'm going to cry.

Oi.. thanks for telling. Ivysaur is my current target. I should bring a pokémon with hypnosis.

Edit: Or even better, a ghost pokémon. Take down should have no effect.

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Shiny Aerodactyl after about 50 fossils!! Did not expect that :)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Oi.. thanks for telling. Ivysaur is my current target. I should bring a pokémon with hypnosis.

Don't just rely on Hypnosis, go with a Pokemon that knows Super Fang rather than False Swipe.(If you're already doing this then that's great, as it's the way to go).

I've seen quite a few horror stories thus far in the last few weeks about people losing a Shiny to take-down or other recoil moves, and yet most of the Pokemon in these Friend Safari's have awesome capture rates... So much so that most can be pokeball'd at half health, so don't risk it all with a Hypnosis/False Swipe combo, because hypnosis could wear off after 1 turn, and these recoilers could still ko themselves.

Am currently hunting for a Shiny Rufflet... I was using a careful sync, but i've just decided to not do that, as i don't want it to skip over a Shiny by going to the next Careful natured set, plus, at the end of the day i'm not going to be using these Shinies competitively, so all i really want is a cute fuzzy Rufflet to ev train. :D

EDIT: Congrats Marvs on the Shiny Aerodactyl :D

Last edited:

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations to all the recent shinies! I'm off school this week, so hopefully my hunting will pick up a lot more. Right now I've reached 7,741 SRs for Lugia. Happy hunting, everyone!

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Congrats on the army of new shinies, guys! People are finding so many in this generation.... apart from me. :p

Congratz to you all~ It's great to see everyone receiving their shinies so quickly. : )

I've had absolutely zero luck. I've been soft resetting for a shiny Fennekin for about two weeks now. :c It has clocked well over 3k of soft resets, which upsets me because everyone seems to have received theirs in under 2k. And with the amount of hours played, I could've MM'd an entire team of shinies. But it has been so long, I can't just quit now. :c

I know that if the shiny chances haven't changed, I will probably be at 7-9k of soft resets before I even get one, yet so many people have been getting their shiny starter at a lower number, so I am pretty sure the chance has gotten higher and I'm just really, really unlucky.

Keep on hunting, people. Good luck to you all.

I'm in the same boat as you mate. I've been SR'ing for a shiny Fennekin in Y since release day, with no luck. I'm currently at just over 3050 soft resets (which is almost 98 hours of SR'ing, according to my 3DS's activity log @_@ ). Hopefully our silver foxes will appear soon. I'm going to try and get in a lot of hunting for it this weekend.

Good luck everyone.

Scrufox86

Wow congratulations to all new shinies since my last post.

Update - on black 2 no shiny yet but still got 5 boxes to hatch. No new shiny on white 2 either but I have 7 boxes to hatch. On X I am a little stuck on what to do for a shiny. I have gotten two CF shinies but spent ages in friend safari and nothing despite all these people reporting getting two shinies there within 30 minutes. I have attempted pokeradar but am still having trouble with it. MMing seems to take longer in these games which is more to do with the irritating daycare guy. Can anyone help with an easy location to use pokeradar?

Sprat1993

I am currently MM'ing for a Shiny Scyther but no luck yet. Only hatched over a box but I am going to try and stick to this because I usually give up when it comes to MM. Wish me luck :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
The first leg of my Litwick MM hunt has ended... 370 eggs, no shinies. So back to Route 3 I go for the next batch.

My Chargestone Cave RE hunt in White 2 is on hold for the moment... After this I think I'm going to stick to single-game hunting. My older DS's batteries drain entirely too quickly and it takes forever to recharge.

I caught a shiny Lairon while on a walk around Terminus cave, and just caught a shiny Minccino in FS.

Dangertrout

Well, still no shiny Voltorb, despite the many hours I hatched eggs. Will continue hunting today, hopefully I get lucky.
Meanwhile, this new pill regimen sucks. I'm down to 40 pills a day, thank God, but having to get up at 6am to start it all is not pleasant.
This isn't even for the cancer yet o_O

Artnerd

Insane Artist

SHINY IVYSAUR!

Then it died... it DIED.

I'm going to cry.

Use a ghost pokemon with false swipe, like Honedge or line. most self inflicting moves are normal and they don't work against ghosts. ^^

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
So I thought I'd try out CF for the first time today and I got a shiny quilfish :D so then I thought I'd try it at route 21 since I need a dragonair anyway and I run into a shiny basculin a few poke balls later it uses final gambit. :( so I thought I'd try again since I like shiny politoads and poliwhirls seem pretty common. After a few more encounters I run into another shiny basculin and it final gambits again so I lost 2 shinies now :( o well not a fan of them anyway and at least they will live on in my pokedex lol XD

Arcaten

Arcanine Trainer
I thought I'd try chain fishing as people were getting some good results and after a chain of 55 I caught a shiny Luvdisc!
Under a week since Croagunk!

WyvernTamer

well after about a whole day of hatching Mawile egg's nothing came up So i go ah well i'll try again in the morning.
And what a morning it was ^^ second batch of egg's and now im the proud owner of a Adamant shiny Mawile with 4 Iv's maxed 31 \(^0^)/
This is offically my very first MM'd pokemon so it's even more special. Hatching 324 egg's payed off big time!

Probably wouldn't have had it seeing how i was slowly losing hope. But after seeing people hatch egg's all the way up to 924 and then get their shiny made me think if they can stick with it so can i :D

With that being said Good Luck everyone on your shiny hunting wether it's SR, RE, CF, or MM Don't give up if you really want it you'll get it eventually!!!

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Fail. Just ran from a Shiny Pansage. :p Ohwell.. Hunting for Ivysaur anyway. Now I know that you can run from shiny pokémon. Wish they would implement the no run from shiny thing, just like in gen 2.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
SHINY TEPIG has just appeared on my White version! He took 7,299 SR's. I went into my brothers room to hunt while I watched him play GTA V when I hear sparkles and proceed to freak out! I was extra nervous as well as you have to beat both Bianca and Cheren before you can save. Not only is he Shiny, he also has a Hasty nature, which is +speed, and check out his IV's: 3/31!!!!/26/26/26/26. Holy crap 31 attack as well. Anyway, I'm going to EV train him now, beat the first gym and start hunting my second target on this BQ: A Shiny Blitzle to reclaim my Shiny Zebstrika that is on my last Black version. Sooo happy right now!! Here's some piccies:
Tepig5_zpsb72220c3.jpg

Tepig3_zpsef44f471.jpg
tepig4_zps61cbf666.jpg
Tepig2_zps1736957c.jpg
~RaichuArcanine~

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
I haven't been here in a while.... Congrats on all the x and y shinies and congrats RaichuArcanine, Tepig is amazing!

Well the reason I haven't been here in a while is because my old computer gave up rest in peace pile o junk and now I have a new one so its much faster and I will post since this one is better than the old one.

Well last night I stayed up until 5 Am and it payed off because I got my first x and y shiny! An oddish after 1066 REs first phase of my espurr hunt outside that mansion. My heart dropped when I saw the green and then the shiny sound is taking out a sword from its pocket I was like what :p. It has a bold nature and its a beautiful bellossom now seeing how bellossom is so underappreciated and not many have one I decided I like Vileplume and Bellossom but I'll go for bellossom. I'll be trying for Espurr once I get back to that point in the game considering I just got the update(better safe than sorry). Welll good luck everyone and good luck to those who don't have any 6th gen shinies!