• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Bananarama

The light is coming
I found a shiny Gothorita while grinding today on Route 20, on Y. It was a nice surprise, since I never even expected it.

Last edited:

Joei7

Hey guys, just a quick question. Has anyone found a shiny with just only having two pokemon in the safari? as in you both haven't been online to get the 3rd?

Cheers guys

Marvs

Shinneeee!
I'll be honest, the friend safari isn't throwing out shinies as quickly as I expected which I'm glad of! I do think the odds are lower though, or there is a new mechanic there

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
Hey guys, just a quick question. Has anyone found a shiny with just only having two pokemon in the safari? as in you both haven't been online to get the 3rd?

Cheers guys

Yes, several. Almost all of my friend safari Pokemon were obtained in a safari with 2 pokemon, even in safaris where that friend doesn't have Pokemon (as in the games).
Keep in mind anything that you can't directly observe the results of (tipping increases shiny chances, being online raises shiny chances etc.) is pure speculation. And pure speculation is usually BS.

Last edited:

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
On my 27th CF, I encountered a shiny male lv. 35 Qwilfish, with a Adamant nature.

This is the first shiny that I tried to obtain, and that did not appear randomly.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
I was in my friend's Friend Safari, doing a search. After a very short hunt of only about 1 hour total for encounters, and a shiny Frogadier pops up. This was exactly what I was looking for. I caught it in a Luxury Ball (which look snazzy in 3D), and was delighted to see that it had a Modest nature. Unfortunately it had Torrent instead of Protean, but that doesn't matter. It's shiny. And has a Modest nature.

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
Oh, another quick question:

When you catch a pokemon when your CF'ing, does it reset?

Joei7

Yes, several. Almost all of my friend safari Pokemon were obtained in a safari with 2 pokemon, even in safaris where that friend doesn't have Pokemon.
Keep in mind anything that you can't directly observe the results of (tipping increases shiny chances, being online raises shiny chances etc.) is pure speculation. And pure speculation is usually BS.

Ok thats good i was just curious as i've been at it for a while and to no luck. Hopefully that changes :D Cheers mate.

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
Oh, another quick question:

When you catch a pokemon when your CF'ing, does it reset?

^Yes.

-Catching a Pokemon ends the chain.
-Moving ends the chain.
-Not getting a bite, pressing 'A' too quickly or too slowly ends the chain.
-Switching rods does NOT end the chain.
-KO'ing or Running does NOT end the chain.

Dragonitor

<- Shiny Hunter
Lots of shinies. So congratz to everyone with the shinies they got...there are so much Shinies now that it just gets too hard to congratulate everyone personally. XD

Anyways I've started MM'ing for Froakie. (I'm not keeping track of the amount of eggs, since it will only demotivate me or gets me annoyed. XD ) And every non shiny Froakie I put on the Wonder Trade, and man did I get some nice Pokes from there. XD Lot of foreign/Japanese Pokemon (almost 1 box full) and Pokemon with their Hidden Ability. (like a Protean Froakie, which I now use to breed too :p)

So I just keep going and maybe I will get some more rare Pokemon via Wonder Trade this way. And ofcourse good luck and succes to every other Shiny hunter and may there be a shiny sparkle soon. :)

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
^Yes.

-Catching a Pokemon ends the chain.
-Moving ends the chain.
-Not getting a bite, pressing 'A' too quickly or too slowly ends the chain.
-Switching rods does NOT end the chain.
-KO'ing or Running does NOT end the chain.

Alright, thank you. :)

I am new to Cf'ing, I really hope I'm not bothering anyone with my questions.

chuchu08

This is my second post here my first being a year ago about my first ever shiny XD. Well since then I have found a few more but these are my most recent finds. The first being a week or two ago a shiny Skorupi :) just found it when I was trying out the pokerader I just stepped into a patch which was just normal and it appeared. The second being last week in the friend safari a shiny Illumise The third was today a shiny Ho-oh :D which I've been hunting for several months on and off and today it finally shone :D.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys! Haven't hunted in the last 2 days (due to exhaustion after work) but I am starting my maternity leave in 2 weeks so plenty of time to hunt before I have the baby! Hopefully I get my 2nd bq shiny soon! I would be happy with another friend safari shiny as well. Hunting in a flying safari with farfetch'd, swanna, and rufflet (hoping for rufflet). Anyways good luck everyone on your hunts!!

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Been trying to get a shiny whole day, no luck yet. Hope something will shine tomorrow, I hope for a shiny male hidden ability spiritomb though.

Pikapi

10 years lurking
Took me a chain of 167 before I finally got my shiny skrelp! Came with pokérus and the nature I wanted too, very happy!

Still trying the MM for a shiny honedge. Over 1600 eggs and counting, but no luck yet.

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
After 213 ish eggs my shiny Honedge finally hatched. I screamed in excitement. I wanted one soooo badly. This is my first mm shiny in xy!

http://i.imgur.com/QZcjWeb.jpg?1

Congrats! That's def one of my future targets. Approaching 750 eggs and still no Chespin, but I've not given up hope yet. Did finally catch a shiny in the FS, sadly it was a Fraxure and I was trying for a Noibat. So I traded it on the GTS for Xerneas, so I now have both X & Y legends. Not a bad deal IMO. Good luck all!

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Well now that Shiny Modest Frogadier is Super Trained, I guess it's time to go back to hatching Tyrunt.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay motivated? The Frogadier hunt was short but this Tyrunt one is getting boring.