• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Charoshi

Charmander is best
My god ever since my 5 shinies in 3 days my luck has turned into absolute crap. I've RE'd, horde hunted, hunted in the friend safari, chain fished and MM'd but still nothing.

I've had chain fishes over 100 with nothing.

Spent hours RE in friend safaris with nothing.

Hatched eggs with nothing.

I have had no luck what so freaking ever. This is getting beyond frustrating at this point. I've spent the last 3 hours REing in a friend safari with nothing to show for it.

I hate my luck. :( I hope i get a break soon :(

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Normally I wouldn't post a simple update, but I've now topped 1000 eggs for Torchic, sitting at 1055 eggs total (300 in Y). Not sure how to judge that in terms of odds since my first 755 eggs were with the Shiny Charm (in B2), but I've got some real progress there. I'm going to say, I'm not at all upset that the Day Care Man doesn't yell at you when an egg is ready. MM'ing in this game in Centrico Plaza with Hatching O-Power Lv. 3 makes it so much faster than MM'ing in previous ones.

MSK

Hurray!! Finally found my first Shiny on X. (Really beginning to think I was the unluckiest person going seeing everyone else finding loads!!)
Was in a Fire Safari looking for Female Magician Braixen when up popped a Shiny Male Braixen. Caught it eventually and was very happy, then even happier when the next Braixen that appeared was the Female Magician I was actually after lol :)

SuperSceptile

Sceptile is super!
Well, I have neither the time nor the patience to attempt those shiny methods and whatnot. But, on Route 14, just out of the blue, A SHINY GOOMY! This happened a while ago but I still can't get over it!! :D

Does anyone know if the tipping system in X/Y affects shiny encounters in any way? It was rumoured a long time ago but I don't think anybody found out yet.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
2 days, no shiny... I hope spiritomb will shine tomorrow ;3

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
I'm actually surprised to say I have a new shiny for once.

A shiny growlithe from the friend safari, he came in pretty fast (83 encounters!) so I was surprised but I'm not going to complain. He's neutral nature but he's got 31 ivs in Hp, Attack and Speed which is pretty great for a growlithe. I'm really happy i got growlithe because in my HG badge quest I really wanted him as a target but I got Nidoran instead, this just saves me the time of re-hunting it and risking getting another nidoran or pidgey.

Aside from the growlithe I've been mm-ing eevee eggs so I can have a shiny sylveon, my first "kalos" shiny. I'm at ninety eggs right now and I have two more boxes already stored up so I'm pretty for this hunt to go awhile.

On a different note, I agree with doodlecloud it is slightly irritating to see people complain when they don't get a shiny within a few hours or that they haven't gotten a shiny this week. I know the odds have increased but it's not like they're extra common? I mean in the past I've gone almost half a year without a shiny so I guess droughts don't really bother me that much anymore.

Not trying to mini-mod or anything but maybe some people should think about posting less? Because there are a lot of posts that are only a sentence long or are in response to other people's posts and really all it's amounting to is spam. (Like, wait until your hunting progress has increased to a substantial amount or if you're responding to something someone said then vm/pm them?)

Anyways congrats on all the new shinies and good luck everyone!

JohnNiles

I've been hunting for a timid sync for about 5 hours now, this is ridiculous ! I don't suppose anyone could trade one quickly? Haha

Ok... so you must be Zap. I guess you can borrow mine for a bit? I'm kinda not in the mood to breed a second one at the moment.

KeiLanRan

Ok I completed my shiny team for X so I'm thinking about soft reseting on Zygard because it would make a lot more sense to shiny lock kyurem tha Zygard. Because I got shiny kyurem and it can be in shiny black or shiny white form while the reshiram or zekrom it morphs with aren't shiny. So everyone wish me luck as I hunt for a legend!

Laurelai

Well, since day one my luck has dried up. I found a shiny Marrill 2:41 into X, and decided on a BQ and since then, lol nothing. I am 90 hours into Y, and nada. I am MMing Froakie (hopefully with Protean), hunting hoards, fishing, roaming FS and No. Luck. At. All.

Bazza17

I finally got my hands on my shiny adamant Pawniard! Took me around 660~ eggs or so. Unfortunately, the stars didn't align for my IV spread, so bit gutted about that. I have many "outstandings" but they aren't shiny. Will probably end up EV training them both, however so I can choose between the two at will :p. Pretty happy as it is my first ever MM Pokémon. Going to try for Shiny Zoroark now with the radar!

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Ok... so you must be Zap. I guess you can borrow mine for a bit? I'm kinda not in the mood to breed a second one at the moment.

SHION yeah? I'll use it to capture my own shortly :) just got a shiny fraxure... The timid worked I that haha, not what I was aiming for!

Azure Kyogre

Still hunting for a shiny Riolu...hatched over 870 eggs *facedesk* I really hope a shiny Riolu will show up soon!

TheGreaterLucario

Still hunting for a shiny Riolu...hatched over 870 eggs *facedesk* I really hope a shiny Riolu will show up soon!

You'd probably be better off trying to find one in the Friend Safari. Just my 2 cen- I mean PokeDollars.

Azure Kyogre

You'd probably be better off trying to find one in the Friend Safari. Just my 2 cen- I mean PokeDollars.
I actually agree with you on that but I don't have a lot of Friend Safaris lol...I only have my sister and brother's friend safari! xP

I'd love to add some of you guys. My Safari includes Manetric (sp), Pachisiru (sp), and Electabuzz. So yea lol.

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
So after 6 straight hours of hatching today, and a little over 1300 eggs...shiny Gastly hatched! Timid and in a premier ball, can't wait to see him as shiny Mega Gengar. Good luck and congrats fellow hunters!

gastly.jpg

MikeFire

The Fire Master
I have a Shiny Magikarp which evolved into a Gyarados, a Shiny Male Combee and a Shiny Zoroark~

Can't post my URL to imgur since I am new here sadly

Firewhale123

Shiny Groudon
I am over 4200 for Mewtwo on Y. Any news about a shiny lock? Thanks guys and good luck on your hunts. I am also hunting Bagon on Ruby and Regigigas on Platinum

PKMN Trainer Gray

hi guys
new report form the depths of the Viridian Forest all the way in Kanto
since my last shiny appeared so quick i was still roaming the forest when suddenly a rustle in the grass startled me and there it was, shiny Weedle, not 1 sec had passed when i threw a pokeball straight to that big pink nose and Weedle was caught
it still was a really quick hunt so i decided to stay in here and most probably be haunting the Viridian Forest for all eternity or at least until shiny Pikachu chooses me as his trainer

....I'll admit I'm getting kind of annoyed by the (occasional) posts by people complaining that they've already done 500 eggs or FS REs or hunted for more than a day and why won't it shine already?! Like, really? I don't mind the increased odds in certain games and areas but when I'm hunting in the Friend Safari or something I feel lucky that I can get a shiny quicker than 1/8192 odds, not annoyed that I'm not getting a shiny every hour or so. Even if the odds in the FS are like 1/500, that doesn't mean you deserve a shiny in the first 300 REs.
So yeah.....I don't necessarily mind the increased odds, but I'm not liking the entitled attitudes that seem to have come with it....

i agree with you 100%
i'm a bit tire of coming in and finding one line post from this new "hunters" gen 6 brought where they just whine about hunting for a whole hour and not being able to find any shinies, or hatching a couple of eggs and not being able to keep their focus and giving up, and that Friend Safari Zone, ugh
if you don't like to spend your time riding back and forth in a patch of grass or waiting for an egg to be ready, maybe shiny hunting isn't for you
i just hope that after the novelty wears off or all the FS hunters hoard every possible poké in there we can go back to reading from the regular hunters of the forum.
no more cheap FC and FS shiny hoarding
Good Luck to everyone and keep the shine on #sarcasm
hopefully this doesn't get me ban or anything since i'm not disscussing the value of certain shines, just for the record

good luck with your shinies hunters and i´ll be reading you around