• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Yay! I found a shiny Octillery while hunting for a shiny Gorebyss! I'm actually really impressed with this find, even though. It has 26 Special Defense IV's and a Calm nature. XD

Pictures to come soon! I short, I am having technical difficulties, so photos may come later... ^^'

Shadow_07

Huzzah.
I've been obsessed with chain fishing after grabbing 3 shinies today- Alomomola, Horsea, and Skrelp :D I'm trying to find copies because I always give the first ones I catch to my boyfriend. Other than fishing, I've also been trying to breed using MM for a shiny Zorua.

Well, considering it has been a busy week or two for shinies, I may as well post things.

First off, after 5k SRs and 450 eggs I finally got a Shiny Fennekin, and it's Modest~ So with that, I started my game. In the time it took me to get that Shiny starter, my friend had encountered her first Shiny, a Charmeleon. Then I encountered a Shiny Magmar at 5 encounters when we switched games. Two hours after the Magmar, she found her Braixen.

I got a Shiny Eevee for my boyfriend at under 30 eggs, with a Quiet nature too. He has wanted a Shiny Umbreon since forever. c:
Not too long after that, I was trying to evolve my Togepi into a Togetic on my friend's file so I could trade it over and breed a Togepi on my own. After 20 encounters I bumped into a Shiny Liepard. lol

My friend, who received the three Shiny Fire types, was trying to find a Ponyta when she encountered a Shiny Fletchinder. It had Flame Body, so now it's the coolest egg hatcher out there. xD

I'm now at 200 eggs for a Trapinch and 40 RE's in my friend's Friend Safari. I wanted a Modest Skrelp and hatched 150 eggs, but decided to CF it instead. Ugh, one Shiny Horsea and two Shiny Skrelp later... both of the Skrelp had terrible natures and IVs in every way possible. xD; So I'm going to continue that hunt, as I was told not to settle with them. (When I said bad, I mean Jolly/Brave bad lol Anything else, besides Adamant would've been fine. Still, I'm still very happy to have them. ^^ I'll be giving them out to friends if I get a better nature'd one. )

@Dangertrout, atleast you got Pokerus. That's pretty awesome. c:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
This is concerning the idea of odds that's being argued about, so ignore the spoiler unless you're interested. Dangertrout, if you think I should remove this completely, let me know.

I want to try and clarify using what I know about Statistics.

Every single encounter is an independent variable. This is key. What this means is that every single encounter has a 1/8192 chance of being shiny. Always. Two encounters at once cannot change that, because they are independent encounters and therefore have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Even though you do two encounters at once, you still only have a 1/8192 chance of a shiny for each one. What this is doing is simply rolling over these odds twice at once, which doesn't change the actual odds of a shiny at all, no matter how hard you try.

This also doesn't change your odds of finding a shiny, but can help you hunt more efficiently if you know how to do it. I've done it before, and it doesn't make for a shorter hunt in terms of actual odds. It just helps you go through the odds quicker, which can create the illusion of a shorter hunt since you get done with less hours spent hunting (a certain Drifloon hunt video that I can't find proves this isn't always true)

Simply put, you don't double the chances of finding a shiny, but rather go through these 1/8192 odds more quickly because of more encounters at once. 1/4096 chance of a shiny never happens in any of these cases.

Hopefully this clarifies some things and puts this to rest, since this is the point master of murkrow is trying to emphasize.

Now, I've hatched 1,385 eggs for my shiny Torchic, with 630 being on Y. This will likely take my record of longest MM hunts so far, which isn't that bad, really. As long as I don't get something insane like 4000+ eggs, I don't mind how long this takes. If it took me nearly 26000 SR's for a shiny of my favorite Pokemon, I'm willing to go quite a ways for a shiny of my favorite starter.

9ivory

凍結森
So I finally decided to try my luck with shinies after going back and forth on whether I felt patient enough to actually go for one. I tried the chain fishing for shiny in Cyllage City and actually caught a shiny horsea on my 17th chain. I was actually shocked considering my previous bad luck with shinies. About an hour later on my 26th chain, I got a shiny clauncher. Looks like today was my lucky day or something...

Last edited:

JohnNiles

Got my first shiny in some time while trying to catch Braixen in a friend safari for a trade. I didn't have my syncher with me because I was in a hurry. :/ It was a female Charmeleon, Sassy nature with hidden ability. Given its stats, I guess it's more suited to be Charizard Y (whose stone I don't have yet). I guess I'll use it if I find myself in a pinch, though that hit to speed will be deadly. I've been practicing enough with Charizard X to know how much I'll die if I don't go first. I expect to go down in flames (har har) in a hurry.

Most of the Braixen wound up Sassy too - odd.

Breeding is going slowly- I've done maybe 25 boxes plus the ones I hatched while collecting. The last time I battled someone, I got a notice that I've hatched over 1500 eggs (across all attempts plus hatching for the pokedex). Most of those were Ralts. I wish there was a better way than accepting a battle and hoping it drags on long enough to show a particular stat. This is worse than B/W's TV.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
My girlfriend just encountered 2 shiny Geodude in a single horde. Not sure to be happy or sad :p

i imgur com/CYyO04S jpg

Can't post links yet so fill in the dots!

Wow that stinks! Did she manage to catch one of them? Cause when I tried to catch one of those they killed each other with magnitude.

I'm currently 180 eggs into getting one of each nature sync Ralts.. Still missing only Calm and Mild. I will die if I get a shiny before finishing this set.. But probably not.. But considering continuing until I get a shiny, since I do like how Shiny Mega Gardevoir looks.. but with my luck, it'll be male and that would just be awkward..

Last edited:

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Woah, a post from me already! Why lunafloon?!

Well, I'll tell you. Shiny Aipom!

I'm restarting Pokémon X tomorrow to play through again (because why not?) and so I was trying to get a shiny Eevee before I did. Didn't happen, but I got a pink monkey butt instead. Shame I was already hunting/planning to hunt on on Platinum AND SoulSilver, but oh well, I'll either get 2 or make room for something else!
He's Naive natured and caught in a Heal Ball, like Magmar, because... pink.
I have a couple more hours to find Eevee and then I'm restarting the game~

Don't despair though! Since Pokémon X has been super generous with me, I plan to fish chain a Chinchou which will be part of my main game team, and I also plan to do a short hunt for shiny Noibat, though I don't plan to spend too long on it since I want to play the game more, so if it takes too long I'll use the one with the best nature and move on. I do plan to one day get a shiny Noibat and maybe a Noivern too though.
I also plan to focus on Black 2 more and aim for at least 15,000 RE before the end of November, though if I'm really good I can probably reach 20,000 easily. Depends how addictive 999 continues to be...

Anyways, I'll put up pictures of my shinies when I get my next shiny, whatever it happens to be, I'm just lazy since I know no one sees my posts anymore in the huge number we get! And that's okay ^~^
Good luck everyone!!!

Meowstic

Pokemon Fan
trying to hunt for a shiny spiritomb, its taking forever though. :C

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
So, after spending a few days wandering around the fire Safari in search of a Ponyta or Ninetails to no avail, I decided to vent a bit and catch some female Gooey Ability Sliggoo's and came across this little cutie. My GF chose the nickname :p

http://i44.*******.com/vhgb5i.jpg
http://i41.*******.com/30le2ja.jpg

She is by far the cutest and best looking shiny I have ever encountered and another dragon type shiny to add to my unintended collection.
She has a timid nature and has infiltrator! Not the best IV's though, which is fine by me as I would never have the heart to evolve her.

Also, I finally got my Fraxure, that was my first friend Safari Shiny all EV trained with maxed Amie and given it all the ribbons I can find (Need elite 4).

http://i43.*******.com/2u44i88.jpg
http://i43.*******.com/odxfd.jpg
I calculated the IV's which are 27 31 13 27 31 25!! Making it by far the strongest Pokemon I own :D
I don't know if I should evolve it, as I love the colour scheme and have a Haxorous in white 2.

Congratulation to those who have found their dream shinies and to those that haven't, hang in there. :D

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Well on the hunt for a shiny modest charmeleon I acquired a shiny modest fletchinder... Haven't checked it's IVs so it could work but most of talons moves are physical :/

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
aftrer 50 hours I finally found a new shiny, foongus! Was hoping for either murkow or klefki, but I am happy with him ;3

not even a hour later, a shiny whismur appeared!

Last edited:

MimiSkitty

Didn't get my shiny Eevee last night, so still trying to hatch it. Bwaaah, so boring. XD But looking for females at the same time and Wonder Trading in between makes it a bit more fun.

Edit: Oh yessss! Getting my Pokedex filled to get the Oval Charm! Still no shiny Eevee.

Last edited:

Taylor516

Ugh, still on my hunt for a shiny vulpix, my mm'ing has gone on for almost two weeks now. I'm hatching at least 100 a day, however, my obsessed little brain thinks every single time an egg hatches and it's a normal vulpix, that by now, the next one I hatch must be it! But sadly that's not been the case so far -_-

Shraeder

It's Lit
Finally got my shiny Charmeleon this morning. Gentle nature, but it'll do.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just encountered a Shiny Loudred...

It's Impish natured, meaning +Def/-Sp.Atk... Which of course means it has an appalling Defense IV of <7... and of course has 31 IV in Sp.Atk lol

It also has a 31 in Speed, and 26-28 for HP and 24-27 for Sp.Def... So i'll be EV training it in HP & Sp.Def.

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0024_zpsa105c47d.jpg[/img139]

Dex = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0025_zps79276e41.jpg
Summary = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0026_zpsbaaa07bc.jpg

Last edited: