• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
^^^ Glad to see I'm not the only person who's first thought was 'seriously?! do you know how long it takes to hatch eggs?!?!' lol

In any case, I think I am warming to 1/4096 RE odds. It doesn't sound quite so ridiculous, especially when you think about the hunts that are going to go over the odds and end up at like 16000 anyway. I hope it doesn't get any lower in the next games though. And I still think 1/682 MM odds are too low....but as I said, I might get used to it. Half odds is a big jump, even if it were from a ridiculous number like 1/100000 to 1/50000....that would still be a big jump for people who had gotten used to 1/100000. And even if I don't get used to it, I won't stop hunting. My view of shinies will likely just shift from 'super awesome things that you're lucky to have and you'll probably only ever have a fraction of the total number of pokes in shiny form' to 'cool and pretty variants, will aim to get all pokemon I really like in shiny form'. Some people would probably see that as a good change....I don't really know but it's not like we can change it now anyway.

In any case, I did a few more HG REs and I've also started another wave of MMing on White (I tend to hatch 150 eggs at a time). Not really expecting anything, just trying not to fall out of the loop. Even if I only do like 50 eggs a day, at least I'll get there eventually....I hope.

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
Congrats to everyone who got a shiny.

I am still trying to get my shiny Pumpkaboo. I sent some over the wonder trade and got a lot of foreign pokemon that I wanted hatch in the future. :)

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I'm currently on an indirect MM hunt for an Eevee. I was in need of extra Eevees to evolve for my PokéDex, so I put my 5IV Eevee with Wish together with a 3IV Japanese Ditto, and I'm not stopping until I get a 5IV Eevee back from an egg, since the one at the daycare will lose its egg move... I might get lucky with a shiny Eevee on my search for the 5IV Eevee. :D

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Does anyone know if Zygarde was Shiny-locked? Cause I haven't seen anyone obtain one yet and I cant find any pictures. On a side note, switching off MM for Froakie, Honedge, and Slugma. I havent been keeping track very well but I have hatched more or less 150-200 eggs and nothing yet, Patience is a virtue, but it would be straight up good luck to get one this early. Not expecting anything very soon, but my hopes are still high!

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Does anyone know if Zygarde was Shiny-locked? Cause I haven't seen anyone obtain one yet and I cant find any pictures. On a side note, switching off MM for Froakie, Honedge, and Slugma. I havent been keeping track very well but I have hatched more or less 150-200 eggs and nothing yet, Patience is a virtue, but it would be straight up good luck to get one this early. Not expecting anything very soon, but my hopes are still high!

I don't think anyone's been able to officially confirm, but so far there's no sign of it being possibly shiny. If it wasn't shiny-locked surely at least some people would have found one by now.

Currently turning in 48 Omanyte fossils at once right now and then SRing for a shiny. Done about 35 so far and nothing has shined for me. Hoping that I get it soon since I want to start collecting Old Ambers for my Aerodactyl hunt now. Wish me luck!

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Just got a shiny Ponyta in the same friend safari I got Pyroar. Not what I was looking for (looking for a shiny Drought Ninetales). I think i will continue in this safari until I get my Ninetales. As for my BQ, still horde hunting on Route 10.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
i'm planning to hunt for shiny ninetales or ponyta after i'm done with archen (810 eggs atm) and i'm wondering if by chance any of you have either ponyta in your friend safari? if you do, please send me a pm <3 otherwise i guess i'll go for kirlia/mawile as i have to get some synchronizers anyway lol.

edit;; heh, just found a guy who has ninetales. d:

Last edited:
So HH on route 7 hoping for a Roselia but the odds were slim so I didn't mind a shiny Hoppip which just popped up 5 minutes ago. I prefer Hoppip in green honestly so I probably won't evolve it just because it looks nice in green. Currently HH just about anywhere, I did a few in Reflection Cave but didn't really like the odds of getting a Carbink so I moved to Route 10 to see if I could get a Yanma which I'll alternate with my hunt for Shiny Klefki. I have seen so many Hordes on route 15 and had a shiny Murkrow so far. I want my gold keys.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I think I am warming to 1/4096 RE odds.
1/682 MM odds

Can someone PLEASE direct me to where these numbers are coming from? Have they been confirmed?

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter
My opinion on the increased shiny odds: Don't care I will still hunt and love shinies no matter how it was optained, I love my shiny CF relicanth as much as I do my shiny gigalith that took around 3000 eggs.
Anyway my hunts.
I started CF for a shiny horsea, around 250 eggs into honedge around 2300 RE's chargestone cave on my joint Black, white 2.
Will plan to revisit Chargestone once I get my DS back from a mate.
Congratz on ALL recent shinies, no matter the odds, and to those still hunting...
*May the shine be with you*

Darkvigil

Second MM Shiny! :D Froakie.. Torrent even after both parents were protean T.T still love it though :) just means it'll have a different role in the team :)
Like what luck too... last egg in a 510 egg batch

I've been a long-time lurker here. Anyway, as for my shinies:
11 chain-fishing shinies (Clauncher x2, Clawlitzer, Poliwhirl, Relicanth, Goldeen, Carvahna, Luvdisc, Octillery x2, Corphish)
3 FS shinies (Charmeleon, Teddiursa, Ninetails)
1 MM (Trapinch, now Flygon) 173 eggs

Congratulations to everybody on their shinies!

Congrats on your shinies everyone! Also, good luck on reclaiming your shinies Master of Murkrow!

I actually really like the change in the odds. I don't mind at all and I will still love my shinies I find in this gen, even if the rate has been increased. I'm currently at about 4200 encounters for Murkrow, which I think is around 800 hordes encountered mark. Probably will be able to do some more encounters a little later today. After I get Murkrow, I think I'm going to MM for a Furfrou. I've decided that I'll SR for Lugia on the weekends. Good luck on your hunts!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I am SO with you there. I think people are looking way too much into this.

I don't know, at the least, it is quite annoying to hear complaints about doing one day's worth of hunting and not finding a shiny. Especially when others are doing so much worse with less outcry. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem now though, so that's good.

Though speaking of bad hunting luck, I'm now at 2600 eggs (1845 in Y) for Torchic. I can't help but feel a little jealous seeing all these absurdly quick MM hunts about, but I can't really do anything about that. Going back to collecting eggs again, and at this point, the two parents have almost reached lv. 100 from lv. 1, which makes that the second set of parents I've done that with for this hunt alone. Definitely keeping the male because 5 perfect IV's, but the female is probably going on Wonder Trade. Of course, Torchic needs to hurry up and shine now first.

Fruitt

SHARKEISHA
Does anyone know what shiny Goodra (or I guess any of the Goomy line) looks like? Goodra is one of my favorites, and I googled it and didn't have any luck.

Before anyone contemplates the new shiny odds,I think they need to take into account the fact that for a lot of XYs development gamefreak didn't even know if they would be able to get pokebank working. The increased odds are probably there partly to make it easier on hunters to rebuild collections that may have been stuck in bw2. This is probably also why it is now easier to breed pokemon with 5 or 6 perfect ivs, with friend safari guaranteeing 2 perfect stats, destiny knot, etc. In fact a lot of the controversial things I've seen complained about online suddenly make perfect sense when taken as concessions to long-term gamers if pokebank happened to fall thru...

In hunting news, aside from the ubiquitous chain fishing, I caugh a shiny Foongus in a horde, which is sad because I already caught one in b2. Switched my fennekin hunt to mm with a ditto since I already have a box of 31/xx/31/31/31/31 with both blaze and magician and I really just want the shiny factor now.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Does anyone know what shiny Goodra (or I guess any of the Goomy line) looks like? Goodra is one of my favorites, and I googled it and didn't have any luck.

here you go i think it looks a nice color :)

shiny_goodra_by_tehninjahfrawg-d6sf0hk.jpg