• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Got my own shiny Honedge :)

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/kpUBOhh.jpg[/IMG139]

Adamant, 31/31/31/x/31/31

And I got another shiny Chespin.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/QGyEyC7.jpg[/img139]

Also, Adamant 31/31/31/x/31/31 with its hidden ability, Bulletproof.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Both obtained via the Shiny Value Check hickorydoodad ya Agonist? Wherein you traded them an egg that can hatch shiny on their game or they trade you an egg that will hatch shiny on your game?

Congrats i guess, tis just a shame to see 100% guaranteed shinies thanks to this huge network being setup.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
So I gave up on my virizion hunt, and I thought let's go for a shiny drifblim... I ran away from one once. So this time I'll try and reclaim.

Edit:

Woot! Just reclaimed a Shiny Drifblim! It's male and bashfule natured with 26/22/2/30/24/11 IV. Might or might not use it. It's the start of my name quest too :3. I'll be hunting Yamask now.

Last edited:

Gilardino

Ok, I have a question about MM, so I have a Japanese Froakie with 5 IVs, and i put it with one of mine, so now i have 5 ivs Frokies, so i was wondering if i can put these Frokies i breeded from this same japanese Frokies so i can try for a good IVs shiny Frokie, dont know if it will affect anything if the Frokie i am putting with the one i used to breed it will affect anything.

If I understand you correctly, you will breed the Japanese 5IV Froakie with one of the newly hatched 5IV Froakies to combine MM and IV breeding? Yes, that will work, and your 5IV parents will most likely hatch a good IV'd shiny once it shows up. Just make sure the original Japanese Froakie is one of the parents, since your newly hatched will all be from your country.

Hydreigon6507

Give me a great reason to Chain Fish again in the near future... I could not care less about what the Shiny was, its nature, IVs, etc., I mean, at least I got something that was not a Basculin (I made SURE it was not due to Final Gambit), but this one took almost an hour and I finally got a Shiny Relicanth at 119 (checked it out with the fisherman in that house, so I know), but I nearly fell asleep waiting it was so dull. I am certainly not complaining about the Relicanth itself, I love its pallete swap, but that was similar to watching paint dry. Anyway, onto the Shiny Relicanth itself.

So, I caught the Shiny Relicanth in a Dive Ball (it looks great on it!), it is male, and I named him Hoshi... I just wanted to use that word somewhere. He is my first male Shiny I caught myself, so I am glad there is no pattern there. He is a light sky blue color, one of my favorite colors, too! So yes, there is more for me to be glad about rather than complain. :)

Both obtained via the Shiny Value Check hickorydoodad ya Agonist? Wherein you traded them an egg that can hatch shiny on their game or they trade you an egg that will hatch shiny on your game?

Congrats i guess, tis just a shame to see 100% guaranteed shinies thanks to this huge network being setup.

Honedge, yes.

Kierzor

Kinda reminiscing
I checked my pokedex earlier and apparently I ran away from a shiny male poliwhirl at some point. I never even noticed D:

Ruru_star

Pokémon Breeder
Congratz everyone on their shinies :D

I was super lucky today it seems, Hatching Shiny Careful Eevee for me and my boyfriend for 2 Umbreons. (he loves umbreon)
Just hatched the first one at egg #140, with the IV's 24 - 25 / 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 31 / 3. So, suckish speed sadly, but oh wells. I still have a few eggs to hatch and will keep on untill I've hatched the second one. Unsure on how long it'll take, but it will be interesting :3

Might post pics later, but I'm a bit tired so we'll see x'D

Fruitt

SHARKEISHA
So I was gathering Dittos for IV breeding and found a shiny one. It doesn't even have impostor which kind of sucks, and it would be nice if it transformed into the shiny version of the pokemon it transforms into, but whatever, I'll take what I can get

Last edited:

Sito

Shiny Breeder
If I understand you correctly, you will breed the Japanese 5IV Froakie with one of the newly hatched 5IV Froakies to combine MM and IV breeding? Yes, that will work, and your 5IV parents will most likely hatch a good IV'd shiny once it shows up. Just make sure the original Japanese Froakie is one of the parents, since your newly hatched will all be from your country.

Okay, thanks, wasnt sure if having the baby breed with the mother would affect anything :D, wish me luck on my Frokie and hope it's shiny soon, Congratz to all the new shinys, hope you guys get more :D

Vegnarus

With the new Instachecker that is going around, wild + egg shinies have a confirmed rate of 1/4100 (shiny values assigned to pokemon do not exceed 4100). This is not Masuda Method or Chaining or Friend Safari-- just the base shiny rate. You can find all of this information on Smogon or Reddit, as I don't want to post links outside of Serebii, but wanted to pass this information along since I know everyone wants to know the rates. :D

Anddd.. had a small bit of luck today. Still trying to find my Luxio but got a shiny Electabuzz in the process!

So they really DID lower it after all? Heh, eat your words smug naysayers! =P And as for this Instachecker business... It's a clear exploit, and building a database with Trainer Values will streamline things for people to get the shinies they want very easily from what I understood. Seriously... How can people even do this and not feel cheap in any way...? =/

Man, and I thought Chain Fishing was bad...

In unrelated news... I finally got my Shiny Fletchling 2 days ago after COUNTLESS frustrating attempts at chaining and it had a decent Naughty nature as well! (I just couldn't give up on that Crimson Talonflame) It's also my first valuable shiny in Y since CF shinies are foolproof and so common. Then again, with all this abuse going on I don't think shinies are gonna remain as special for long.

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter

In unrelated news... I finally got my Shiny Fletchling 2 days ago after COUNTLESS frustrating attempts at chaining and it had a decent Naughty nature as well! (I just couldn't give up on that Crimson Talonflame) It's also my first valuable shiny in Y since CF shinies are foolproof and so common. Then again, with all this abuse going on I don't think shinies are gonna remain as special for long.

Why is chain fishing bad? I've had the chance to get shinies that I wouldn't even try to hunt for other whys, I really don't want to start an argument on this again but I'm getting a bit sick of people hating on chain fishing. A shiny is a shiny. MM was considered "bad" when it was first used. Shinies will always remain special to those that don't care how they were obtained, as long as it wasn't hacked. I value my CF shinies as much as my MM shinies, have probably said this before but my shiny CF relicanth is just as special to me as my 2,500 MM roggenrolla.
Anyway shiny news:
Got my 4th shiny clauncher... still looking for that shiny horsea.
There's another thing, people think that you can get shinies instantly with CF. I have been at this horsea hunt for at least a week, that's a decent amount of time for a CF hunt.
Sorry for the rant of sorts just speaking my mind :)
Congratz on all your recent shinies and to those still hunting...
*May the shine be with you*

Last edited:
So they really DID lower it after all? Heh, eat your words smug naysayers! =P And as for this Instachecker business... It's a clear exploit, and building a database with Trainer Values will streamline things for people to get the shinies they want very easily from what I understood. Seriously... How can people even do this and not feel cheap in any way...? =/

Actual odds are 1/4096.

Vegnarus

Why is chain fishing bad? I've had the chance to get shinies that I wouldn't even try to hunt for other whys, I really don't want to start an argument on this again but I'm getting a bit sick of people hating on chain fishing. A shiny is a shiny. MM was considered "bad" when it was first used. Shinies will always remain special to those that don't care how they were obtained, as long as it wasn't hacked. I value my CF shinies as much as my MM shinies, have probably said this before but my shiny CF relicanth is just as special to me as my 2,500 MM roggenrolla.
Anyway shiny news:
Got my 4th shiny clauncher... still looking for that shiny horsea.
There's another thing, people think that you can get shinies instantly with CF. I have been at this horsea hunt for at least a week, that's a decent amount of time for a CF hunt.
Sorry for the rant of sorts just speaking my mind :)
Congratz on all your recent shinies and to those still hunting...
*May the shine be with you*

I shouldn't really have to specify why CF is kinda cheap because it's fairly obvious. But this new exploit is seemingly much worse anyway. And I love some of my fishable shinies too but that's besides the point!

Actual odds are 1/4096.

Close enough. They doubled the base encounter rate so I guess that MM and possibly the other methods could also have an increased chance if GF scaled those as well.

Dangertrout

Don't call them cheap. Other people clearly value them more than you do.
I really wish everyone would stop discussing the value of the shinies, however they are obtained. I even put it in the rules when the thread was started a year ago.

In other news...
SHINY FERROSEED!!!!!
Male / Bold / Iron Barbs / Max Def and Sp Def
I actually have two safaris with ferroseed, I think I was in the one from my RL friend this time.

While I'm at it, the Sigilyph I got yesterday was:
Female / Bold / Wonder Skin / Max HP and Attack

Don't call them cheap. Other people clearly value them more than you do.
I really wish everyone would stop discussing the value of the shinies, however they are obtained. I even put it in the rules when the thread was started a year ago

This. Not everyone has the time/patience to sit around, and hatch/random encounter thousands of Pokemon. Just be happy for them that they got the shiny they wanted instead of gripping about how they had to trade to get it.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I just started my hunt yesterday...
Unfortunately, it's not the Braixen I wanted, but still a nice one!
I just found a shiny Slugma!

It's a female, but no surprise; I have a male Cute Charm Pokémon in front so I can get a female Braixen. She has a Timid nature (+ Speed, - Attack), which is.. okay, she has the ability Magma Armor (oh well, no Weak Armor for me!) and her IVs could be... 31/10-13/0-3/31/27-29/4-6. So her two perfect IVs went in HP and Special Attack! Nice! Too bad for her Defense, who's so low...
I will continue hunting until I get that female shiny Braixen. But I'm definitely going to EV train this one (along with my Steelix) after the hunt (probably going to max EV her in Defense to cover the IV lacking and Special Attack, while giving the left overs to Speed).

Good luck to everyone!
I was literally looking at Dangertrout's post, thinking "Of course I'm not as lucky as Dangertrout in Safari..." and she came after like 5 minutes!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
This. Not everyone has the time/patience to sit around, and hatch/random encounter thousands of Pokemon. Just be happy for them that they got the shiny they wanted instead of gripping about how they had to trade to get it.

And that was what shiny hunting was pretty much supposed to be about. Time and patience alongside hatching and REing thousands of pokemon. Have you not seen half of the recent posts? Someone was whining about doing35 eggs for a Charmander(not calling you out, just an example)? That's barely an hour's worth of hatching. The point of shiny hunting is to prove that you were patient enough to get something that most wouldn't see in the entire time that they have played Pokemon. If you only have an hour a day to spare, just do those hour-a-day time periods every day.

*wishes things were like B2W2*

Yeah, I really think I best stay away from this thread and actually not read any posts, because ^that^ is the result if I read posts here. Shiny hunting is not the same anymore. The odds? Fine. The patience of people? I'll shut up about that because you all know how I feel about that.

Now to update you all before I go :p

I'm at 18,383 SRs for Giratina, and this is certainly taking its' sweet time.