• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Here, how about a constructive topic of conversation :p

With the much higher number of shinies we're seeing in Gen 6, what do you do / plan to do with your duplicate shinies or shinies you didn't want?

I plan to wonder trade mine away and spread shininess throughout the world like a magical shiny fairy :p

I've never traded away shinies before (mostly because I've never got a duplicate yet) but if I get duplicates of a Pokémon and I already have all the shiny evolutions, aka. I get 5 Poliwags and already have Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath and Politoed, then I'd probably trade it to someone. Not over Wonder trade personally because I'd be worried it'd go to someone who wouldn't value it, but I'd trade it to someone who really wants one :3

As for what AquaRegisteel was saying, I'm also getting a little tired of impatience, no offense. I know it can be hard shiny hunting but 35 eggs or 45 mins (I've had someone complain after hunting in the FS for 45 mins) is a little ridiculous. It's took me longer to find regular Ralts on Sapphire than 45 mins! Damn those Ralts...
I don't agree about shiny hunting HAVING to be difficult and long though. I think we should have the option to have long hunts (which is why the Shiny Charm worked great and I'm unsure about the higher odds) but I think if you really do work a lot or have children/people to care for or even just don't enjoy shiny hunting, then having the means to hunt quickly is great. Everyone gets a shiny, but how you get it is up to you.
I am glad the odds are apparently 1/4100 (ish) because I heard rumors it was 1/1000 and that was way too low even for me, and I have the Shiny Charm in White 2. I at least wanted the option to have higher odds, but I'll take 4100 because it's not 1000... But I do have to say, this thread has got very crowded and I miss how semi-personal it used to be, where everyone congratulated every shiny found and answered random questions like "What was your longest MM hunt?". I miss that, and I'm scared my shiny Sandile will get ignored, even if that's silly and selfish. I've just worked so hard, I'm still new to longer hunts, forgive me!
Anyways, sorry to fuel flames, putting this in a spoiler, but I've avoiding talking about it so long now and I've failed V_V

Moving on, have you heard about my Sandile hunt? I finally hit that 14,000! And got nothing. Booo.
I'm also at around 250? Noibat eggs. Maybe nearer to 300. So that's going well.

Still really unsure of what I'll do with Platinum and SoulSilver. I think I've bitten off too many hunts and I don't have enough hands!
Got Porygon (SR, Platinum), Cherubi (SR, Platinum), Rotom (SR, Platinum), Johto Starters (SR, SoulSilver), Relic Castle (RE, Black 2), Noibat (MM, X) and eventually I'll also have Chinchou (CF, X), Goomy (MM, Y) and Marill (MM, Y). Maybe even Mistralton Cave (RE, Black 2) if Sandile ever shows up... *SIGH*
I'm also still not sure whether to Chain Fish Poliwag or get it on SS for my BQ. On one hand, it'll be a while till I can get Poliwag on SS (after 4 badges) and I can get it fairly quickly AND make sure it's female on Y.
On the other hand, Chain Fishing is so easy and for something as special as Poliwag I'd really like it to be a special hunt... And I've planned to get it for my BQ for a while.

Opinions would be appreciated... Please ;A;

That said, good luck everyone! Despite my whining, I hope you all get the shinies you want most!

Last edited:

KeiLanRan

I'm hunting after shiny mawile as my 19th pokemon x shiny through Masada method I hatch 5 eggs then soft reset because I only have 7 empty boxes left

Tina

Boy Skylark
Good luck to ColtonL and GerudoPrince! Shiny Honedge is awesome and fully worth it. I hatched mines awhile ago and I swear, shiny Doublade is one of the most beautiful shinies ever.

Anyways, I evolved my Eevee into a shiny Sylveon (ugh so cute) and working on the movepool now, I'll try out how she does online when she reaches lvl 50.
In the meantime I'll RE in the safari for that shiny Charmeleon I've wanted so much.

MimiSkitty

I caught a Shiny Female Basculin with Red Stripes.....T_T

Will update soon with my shiny Nincada...

Shinies make me happy, but Basculin....I dunno... *LOL*

Edit: Just caught a Shiny Poliwhirl in the same chain. 83

Last edited:

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
Good luck to ColtonL and GerudoPrince! Shiny Honedge is awesome and fully worth it. I hatched mines awhile ago and I swear, shiny Doublade is one of the most beautiful shinies ever.

Anyways, I evolved my Eevee into a shiny Sylveon (ugh so cute) and working on the movepool now, I'll try out how she does online when she reaches lvl 50.
In the meantime I'll RE in the safari for that shiny Charmeleon I've wanted so much.

Thanks! Definitely need all the encouragement I can get! and yea sylveon is so cute!

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter
Don't want to break any rules, and I know this probably isn't the place.
But does anyone have a Charmeleon FC that I could exchange please PM me.
In shiny news still going on my Aerodactyl hunt, I'm really stacking up those SR's now.
Congratz on all recent shinies and to those still hunting...
*May the shine be with you*

Sudoku

~Apriball Collector~
Woot hatched a second shiny Snorunt on egg 41. Snorunts must like me. Egg 4 and 41 were shiny. 4 was a female, adamant and 41 is male, brave. I really wanted a good female one.... Ah well. I think I will continue hatching for a bit and then move on to a RE Pumpkaboo hunt.
Good luck on your hunts!

Shining Aruseus

I would just like to brag, because I feel I have the right to:
I just encountered my first shiny in Y. A wild encounter. Shiny Azumarill, Adamant nature, perfect Attack, Special Attack, and Speed IVs.
I'm not going to sleep tonight

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Hatch runs: 9

Egg count: 3,330

Shiny count: 0

The shiny electric wolf cub has eluded me again. Back on Route 3 prepping for the next hatch.

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats Aruseus and Sudoku on your shinies! : D
Good luck with that female snorunt Sudoku, I hope you get one soon. ^u^
Edit: Good luck to Cyberra too! Sorry, I didnt see your message, we posted at the same time. I wish you good luck for your Electrike!

Anyways, I just switched from safari to SRing in soulsilver for a starter.
This safari really doesnt like me. ):
I've been REing in it for two weeks now with two shiny Ponytas to show for it (the only pokemon i dont need xD), hopefully it'll bless me with a shiny Braixen or Charmeleon later.

Current at 292 SRs for a starter.

Motitasan

HAVE shiny dragonair adamant, marvel scale and 2 maxed IVS.

SEARCHING FOR shiny sableye with prankster (if possible with recover).

Please pm me with your offers :)/

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I knew my resilience would pay off! After accidentally running from a Swablu just yesterday, I stopped counting my RE's, but another one appeared just now! This one's male, unlike the last one, but this is one quick reclaim if I've ever seen one!

[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/Snapshot_20131116_17_zps0a062710.jpg[/IMG139]

Again, forgive backwards and iffy image quality of my laptop's webcam. At level 26, IV's are totally hit-or-miss: 30/29/5/31/0/9. Only Special Attack and Special Defense are confirmed, of course. That's okay though, since Lax nature isn't going to be used competitively at all. I'm just glad this didn't stay as a missed shiny, and that this was much quicker than Torchic. I can now stay concentrated for my essay due Wednesday too. Next on my list is not really set in stone, since I didn't expect such a quick hunt. I may be starting a BQ soon in SS, though that might just get axed for another SR hunt for a legendary. At this rate, I'll be doing a legendary quest here

Last edited:

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats Gustavo! :)

Just reached 400 SRs for Johto starters, I dont expect this to end soon but I hope at least it wont take more than a week. >_<

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Congrats on that reclaim Gustavo 14! It's always nice to reclaim a lost Shiny. Fyre is now an awesome Shiny Chandelure ^_^. Oh and for those who don't know, the first Chandelure in my Shiny Card where I used the charm is my BFF's now that I got as a Birthday gift for her so it's not mine. Anyway sadly I can't hunt Terrakion for my final W2 BQ hunt, as you have to beat the last gym for it to appear, and I need the Shiny before I do that. So I've moved back to Route 13, to SR instead for the other Muskadeer I don't have in Shiny Form: Cobalion! I'm only at a measly 73 SR's so far, and I'm hoping this will be a shorter hunt after Litwick went over the odds, but I'm not to bothered either way. Cobalion is actually quite a nice Shiny and I look forward to getting him to appear! Oh, and for the record I agree with AquaRegisteel on how people are complaining a little to much about such short hunts, etc but I won't continue to posts my thoughts, as it will only lead to a debate, I just wanted to get my thoughts across. Anyway, I probably won't post again until Cobalion shines or I pass the odds. Best of luck to all!
~RaichuArcanine~

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
Is there a higher chance of getting a random encounter shiny in a friend's safari? I entered a friend's safari and I encounter a freaking shiny Abra!

So I celebrated and starting flipping out and then - the panic set in! These things are notorious for teleporting away. I was so nervous! Luckily I always carry at least 20 Quick Balls at all times. I threw it and I swear I was almost sweating! I caught it though, thank goodness I was prepared! Now I can get an awesome purple Mega Alakazam soon!

EDIT: Holy jebus it's Modest and has 4 perfect IVs including Special Attack :O This is probably the best shiny I've ever got (and I'm a chainer who gets lots of shinies) I want to hug the person who gave me their FC for this safari!

http://i43.*******.com/2ebe8wi.jpg

http://i43.*******.com/fwu8hy.jpg

Last edited:

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats on the shiny Abra, Emily! : D
Thats a wonderful nature for the Abra line, you can use it to synchronize for other pokemon too!

ClefairyKid

Pokemon Addict
Hey! Not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but I just wanted to let people know about this amazing new project at smogon, where they've discovered the mechanics behind what makes eggs hatch shiny, and the more people who join and add their shiny value numbers to the database, the better it will be! I can link people to the thread if needed but I won't post it here in case that gets me in trouble for some kinda rival site rule type thing :p

I can personally vouch for having tried the software and just had my first match up and got my shiny Eevee c:

Tina

Boy Skylark
Hey! Not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but I just wanted to let people know about this amazing new project at smogon, where they've discovered the mechanics behind what makes eggs hatch shiny, and the more people who join and add their shiny value numbers to the database, the better it will be! I can link people to the thread if needed but I won't post it here in case that gets me in trouble for some kinda rival site rule type thing :p

I can personally vouch for having tried the software and just had my first match up and got my shiny Eevee c:

Most of the users here already know about that actually. I'm not entirely sure and I dont want to speak for the people here because I dont have the right, but I think some users were arguing about this subject a few pages back regarding it feeling 'right' or 'wrong'.