• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Proximity

SHINY FEAROW : My new succesful chain!! This guy took 49 minutes to appear after my chain reached 40, it was pretty frustrating.

I had two other chains break in 35+, so I'll quit chaining for today. I'll go and hatch some more Tepig eggs with the Masuda Method, so far no luck after 20 boxes, which is roughly 600+ eggs. Not giving up though :D

Maginc

Meme Police
I started a MM hunt for Shiny Shinx last night, my favorite pokemon and shiny! Sadly I forgot to keep track on how many eggs so I'm going to get another one and start over.

kayteemae

Hit To Key
I posted a few days ago about trying for a shiny Amaura. Only ended up hatching one box out of the three as I got bored. Started the second box this evening and on the 6th egg, this guy appeared!
Modest nature, horrible stats as I didn't have a decent Ditto to breed with but it's not for competitive use so I'm happy with it as it is.

ShinyAmaura.jpg

Hooray! I just got a new shiny, however this was not from pokemon X or Y like most of my recent shinies have been. I was hunting on route 9 on White 2 with a magnet puller for shiny pawniard. I really don't know how many encounters this took since this was an on-off hunt, but regardless...

A Shiny Duosion appears!

While this is most certainly not a blue pawniard, Duosion was definitely my second choice, so I'm very glad to have got this. A quick super fang from my watchog and a single dive ball was all it took to catch this beautiful blob of magic goo. Step aside, goomy.

I nicknamed her Bluebell, and she has a gentle nature and the overcoat ability. Neither of which are that great for Reuniclus, although the latter can be remedied thanks to the awesomeness that is pokemon X and Y.

Summary
Stats

She has the following IVs:
HP: 15
Att: 26
Def: 12
Sp. Att: 17
Sp. Def: 18
Speed: 27

Eh, could be worse for a random encounter, though they would have been really good ivs for a pawniard, but let's not dwell on that.

Well since I'm hunting a little bit on white 2, I think I'm going to try and get myself a shiny kyurem, because that would potentially get me 3 shinies in one (Normal, white and black Kyurem). Plus I'm long overdue for a shiny legendary.

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter
Wow, alot of great shinies lately congratz to everyone who has received a sparkling little beauty.
SRing for a shiny chespin takes a lot of time... a lot of time.
There is just so much dialogue in between a SR and seeing if it is shiny.
I don't count my hunts but I would guess that I would be on about maybe 500-600 SR's
Not going to give up but I do hope that it shines soon.
Congratz again on all recent shinies and to those still hunting...
*May the shine be with you all!*

TheGreaterLucario

Alright! Broke my dry spell with a Shiny Cacturne in the Friend Safari! Wasn't the Absol I was looking for, but whatever- I can probably trade it for something nice.

Fruitt

SHARKEISHA
Up to 1,500 eggs. I am having pretty bad luck with this shiny, been at it for like 5 days. I hope my luck will turn around soon :/

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
After 804 eggs shiny Helioptile hatches!

What a perfect way to end thanksgiving! He has 4 max IVs in hp, defense, special attack, and special defense. It kinda sucks that speed got left out but I'm using an Agility set on this so it shouldn't make a huge difference anyways. I'm finally in the mood to do some REing so my next hunt will be at Route 5 for any of the 6th gen shinies, especially Furfrou. Oh yea, my horrible luck with abilities reared its ugly head again and I got Sand Veil on Helioptile instead of Dry Skin (80% chance to get Dry Skin but nooo, I get Sand Veil -.-) so I'll be camping at the Battle Maison for awhile before I start hunting again

Anywayz, gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone, don't give up! :]

TheGreaterLucario

HAHA, YES!! After trading my Shiny Fraxure for a Shiny Eevee (thanks jordan26071996!), a little while later I found.... drumroll please.... a Shiny Absol! AND it has an Attack-boosting Nature, along with 31 IVs in Attack and Defense, with relatively superior potential overall!

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Decided to go chain fishing for the heck of it, with a preferable target of Alomomola, sure enough after fishing for a bit it was the Alomomola that shone a beautiful purple, I caught it in a Heal Ball which looks like such an appropriate match.

My third chain fishing shiny in total, the other two being Poliwhirl I got about a month ago. Speaking of which, one is now a Poliwrath but I have yet to evolve the other into Politoed, simply because I don't have a King's Rock, so I'm hoping to search for one soon, ironically (sorta) by stealing them from wild Poliwhirl.

Working a lot this week but if I have any spare time I might get back to hatching Taillow eggs. Also I've gotten all my Pokemon to complete the Pokedex ready to send over from my White version when Pokemon Bank is available, meaning that if there is a Shiny Charm in the game, hopefully I'll be one of the first to get it and try it out!

Laurelai

I am convinced that this game has an encoded perverse sense of humor. I got tired of MMing (up to 1200 now for Spritzee) so I took a break and went to the FS to collect Ninetails for a breeding project. I stumbled over something, no clue what because I had gotten up to get a slice of pumpkin pie. When I returned, there was a lovely blue maned Ponyta. It has a naughty nature with 31s in speed and Sp. Def. I named her Cadmium for the metallic grey/white she will be when she evolves :D

*edit*
LOL should have named her Pumpkin Pie

Last edited:

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
I am convinced that this game has an encoded perverse sense of humor. I got tired of MMing (up to 1200 now for Spritzee) so I took a break and went to the FS to collect Ninetails for a breeding project. I stumbled over something, no clue what because I had gotten up to get a slice of pumpkin pie. When I returned, there was a lovely blue maned Ponyta. It has a naughty nature with 31s in speed and Sp. Def. I named her Cadmium for the metallic grey/white she will be when she evolves :D

*edit*
LOL should have named her Pumpkin Pie
^^^agreed :D

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
So it's been a few weeks now, what do you guys think about these slightly easier obtained shinies? I was a stupid elitist that practically wanted to die when I heard that shinies were less rare, but I think I like it. They're still an extreme time-consumer to get a shiny, and really, for those people that got shinies in barely any encounter (like when I got my shiny Golbat in Pearl after freaking 49 REs), the odds might as well have been lower. I guess one could say that you're just beating less unfavorable odds, but with all of the crazy long hunts in X and Y, I'm starting to think that maybe the shiny rate goes down after your first few shinies. Can't wait until the shiny odds are found out through the coding, or, more likely, Masuda or someone high up in Game Freak decides to spill the beans.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Been in a bit of a shiny funk. I have been in a slump since my Luvdisc. I've been focussing most of my time on Zelda lately, but I've been trudging along hoping to get a break in a friend safari. I have had no luck there since my Pinser, and I'm at an insane amount of random encounters. Just poor luck there I guess. Maybe it'll snap soon once I'm back on Pokemon full time. We shall see.

Congrats to all who have found shines though! Share the luck eh?

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
So yesterday, I forgot to post about my caught shinies in my badge quest. Yesterday I finally got the shiny I wanted in my badge quest, an male shiny skorupi with battle armor, adamant nature. ;3 Pretty sure I will use this one in my all time shiny team.

Also I caught a shiny cubchoo, female. So that means I got 7 shinies in this BQ, and since I want to rush I won't be counting in the pokémon league. I just wanna get things ready.
One shiny to go, I'm hoping for a shiny Murkrow or Klefki. If I get another Foongus I guess I have another shiny evolution line. =\

I'm hoping to have a shiny team done by the time pokébank goes live.

I want a shiny team, one pokémon from each gen, two typings and no one have the same typings. And Male ofc.

Charizard
Heracross (Maybe)
Metagross
Drapion
Jellicent
Heliolisk

Ohwell, wish me luck. ;p

Cyberra

pain in the ***
question: im looking for a LOT of answers on this one!!

When you MM, do focus on egg moves, natures, abilities, and ivs...and then MM? or do you just grab a poke, throw it with a japanese ditto, and ride that bike!?!

I'm hatching purely for shininess, so I just stuff a pokemon in with my Japanese ditto and ride like heck until something sparkles.

Anyone got a shiny charmander using MM and after how many eggs?

Shiny FEMALE charmander after 990 eggs. Now a handsome black charizard. Was my... second MM hunt, back in July.

Batch 1 for absol came up shiny-less. Now hatching batch #2