• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Did some FS encounters this morning instead of the usual MM and lo and behold! A shiny Sliggoo! She has Gooey and Sassy nature, I have no idea if thats good or not but I dont think its the worst because of Sliggoo's already low speed stat.
Have IVs in HP and Sp. Attack. So is this one usable or is it just a trophy? s:

Don't worry, it's VERY usable ;)

Well, considering most RE Shiny finds seem to be occuring in the Friend Safari, I'd say that REs in the Friend Safari has become an even easier method than MM-ing. Only thing is you only have a limited pool of Pokemon to choose from....

when I said "I have better luck with RE-ing", I'm actually referring to RE-ing outside Safari :p

I actually have FOUR shinies obtained via RE outside Safari, all four are from Route 6 lol. Two Oddish, one Espurr, and one Honedge with bad Nature.

And the Espurr actually came in less than 5 REs after one of the two Oddish.

Is it easier to find shines in the FS? Because is was only at about 20 random encounters when I found Majesty, my shiny ninetails!

Yeah, apparently it is.

First of all, I caught a shiny female braixen, hardy nature. I was hunting with a female cute charm mincino or w/e you call it. so the odds for a shiny female braixen are very, very, very low. The odds for getting a female shiny braixen are at first:

1/4096 ( The shiny odds)
33.3% for cute charm to fail.
12.5% for being female.

Not sure how to calculate this, but still. a very rare shiny ;p Also caught it in a critical capture.

I don't think Safari's RE chance is 1/4096, it's definitely much higher than that XD

But congrats on getting a female shiny while using a female Cute Charm lead ;)

Tina

Boy Skylark
Don't worry, it's VERY usable ;)

Oh, haha, you answered my question twice! xD
Thanks so much for helping me! I'll EV it later and slap some moves onto it and see how it does online.

Congrats to all new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! <:

Anyways... Just reached 780 eggs for my Vulpix MM, hoping to finish this up tomorrow or the day after so i dont drag this on to the next week. :I

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
3rd shiny today, a timid woobat. ;3 not a fletchinder though. Gonna hunt in a other safari for it. which contains pidgey, hoothoot and fletchinder

edit:

4th shiny today, fletchinder.

time to hunt pyroar now. Getting all Kalos pokémon shouldn't be that hard. Lol

Last edited:

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Can you softreset for an event pokémon like the torchic?
For it to be shiny, of course.

blastaero

I am going to assume so, since I SR my torchic for a good nature!

FarFromFreedom

< Most recent shiny
Finally hatched a shiny vulpix after 872 eggs through the Masuda Method. <3

I have a question. While MMing, I was using a female Ninetales and a Japanese Ditto. I hatched 871 eggs with those two, with no success. Eventually, I got fed up and decided to switch the ditto with a male Japanese Pyroar. The very first egg (being 872) from those two breeding together was my shiny. Is it just a coincidence, or is Ditto just really bad for Masuda Methoding? ;^;

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Can you softreset for an event pokémon like the torchic?
For it to be shiny, of course.

I am going to assume so, since I SR my torchic for a good nature!

No you cannot SR for shiny events, unless they are set as shiny.

Anyways, my hunts seem to be going at good pace. I'm at 21,250 SRs for Giratina, and I have done 1,568 REs in Victory Road in White and White2. Cyberra must have a lot of time, starting the hunt a few days after me and suddenly being 6,000 ahead of me.

Also, I would like to wish TheMaster327 and I believe KittyKitty3308 a happy birthday. I'm sure you both share the same birthdate anyways...

Congrats on all the recent shinies!

@MimiSkitty It could be done if you SRed the Kyogre and Groudon events a couple of years ago, if I recall correctly. But not anymore.

Lastly, here's some pictures of Mime Jr. from the Tuesday before this Tuesday:

Last edited:

MimiSkitty

No you cannot SR for shiny events, unless they are set as shiny.

Anyways, my hunts seem to be going at good pace. I'm at 21,250 SRs for Giratina, and I have done 1,568 REs in Victory Road in White and White2. Cyberra must have a lot of time, starting the hunt a few days after me and suddenly being 6,000 ahead of me.

Also, I would like to wish TheMaster327 and I believe KittyKitty3308 a happy birthday. I'm sure you both share the same birthdate anyways...

Congrats on all the recent shinies!

It used to work ONCE, but not anymore. At least I remember something like that. X_x

OK, so just out of fun, I decided to turn my GBA on with Pokemon Ruby in order to dual hunt. My ruby has the Battery dead so I can only reset for shinies (shiny legendaries by RNG abuse), well, seems that luck is with me today because, just after entering the grass, I found a shiny whismur on my 2nd encounter. :D

Here's the little fella.

Image11.jpg

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Thanks Aqua. And yes, Cyberra has way too much free time on her hands. ;) (she's a good friend of mine so I can make such claims)

I'm still very confused about the whole dead internal battery changing shiny value whatever mojo, waiting, hoping for someone on the question thread to explain it to me..

I've hit 90 Espurr on my MM, they already managed to produce 6IV male offspring three times and almost have a box filled with perfect 5IV Espurr! Kinda hope one will shine soon and have the right IVs. My Mareep MM was very lucky, it only took 27 eggs and it had the perfect 5IV I wanted.

EmpressMyuu

OK, so just out of fun, I decided to turn my GBA on with Pokemon Ruby in order to dual hunt. My ruby has the Battery dead so I can only reset for shinies (shiny legendaries by RNG abuse), well, seems that luck is with me today because, just after entering the grass, I found a shiny whismur on my 2nd encounter. :D

Here's the little fella.

View attachment 11267

Hey, way to go dude! It's kind of funny you found a shiny Whismur of all things considering I told you Whismur on my Sapphire version was the first shiny I ever caught besides the red Gyarados. Told you that pink and green is just gorgeous ;)

Well, I haven't looked through this thread in quite a few days so I have plenty of catching up to do, but congrats to everyone on their recently obtained shinies and good luck to all shiny hunters.

If you've noticed in my signature, I gained a few new shinies through trades, including Gabite :D Shiny Garchomp still looks about the same even though it's slightly easier to differentiate from regular Garchomp now. Shiny Mega Garchomp is the real treat--nothing like pink and purple and spikes and huge arm scythes all combined lol.

Ganieda

Midnight Valkyrie
I can't believe my Luck! I was just defeating Pokemon in FS while reminiscing about my summer in Iceland with great music, as I ran into a Shiny Braixen! I was so hoping to find this, and it's my first ever Safari shiny too. It comes better, he is modest natured (synch worked) and has his IV's in HP and speed which is not too bad. So happy right now! =D

Now hopefully Mienfoo will decide to shine soon too. Over 250 eggs hatched but nothing yet...

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
MY LUCK IS AMAZING!

I just started hatching eggs...and the Shiny I have ALWAYS wanted just hatched...in JUST 5 EGGS!!

A Shiny Male Eevee hatched. Outstanding Stats in HP, and his Attack is alright, along with Sp. Def, and Speed.
He is a Modest Nature.

---A long, drawn out excitement later---
Oh my gosh! I cannot believe I actually got the Shiny I always wanted...in just under 5 eggs!! I was planning on hatching for a long time, and fearing I would give up...but NOPE! He popped up, scaring my sister to death after I scream "OH MY GOD!!"
I kind of now wish that he was a female, so I could name it Sara [after my closest friend] but ah well. Once she comes back on, I'll ask her what she would like him to be named [I promised her she would get to name the first Eevee I hatch]
Here are the pictures:
Naming Screen | Status Screen | Pokemon-Amie
He is a Modest Nature with Anticipation as his Ability. He has Outstanding Potential, with his greatest potential lying in his Hp, Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed.
I would have to think on who to evolve him into before making any real EV Training and such first.
5 Eggs...WHO'S LUCK DID I STEAL?!

Also, here is Estrela, fully evolved and looking beautiful.
Status Screen | EV Status Screen | Pokemon-Amie

...Uhm...I guess I now fully believe Pokemon X and Y changed something with the Shiny Encounter Rate....WELP, off to hunt some place...or maybe I'll just train Estrela a little more.

Congratulations to everyone who have reseved Shinies over the past day or two since Estrela shined. Good luck to everyone who is hunting [AquaRegisteel...You have been hunting for that Giratina for a really long time. I do hope he shines for you, soon.]
I hope everyone has a Fantastic Day~
~Misty

Last edited:

TheGreaterLucario

Well, after evolving one of my Shiny Eevees into a Shiny Leafeon, I can finally tell the difference between Leafeon's normal and Shiny colors: normal Leafeon's leaves are kind of a pale green, whereas Shiny Leafeon's leaves are of a much more solid, lively, brighter green. Also, Shiny Leafeon's fur and eyes take on more of a golden shade.

I always enjoy reading about other peoples' luck with shinies, since I have none. LOL I don't think I've ever caught a shiny, besides Gyarados in G/S/C. Any suggestions for someone who's hoping to start huntin' shinies??

TheGreaterLucario

I always enjoy reading about other peoples' luck with shinies, since I have none. LOL I don't think I've ever caught a shiny, besides Gyarados in G/S/C. Any suggestions for someone who's hoping to start huntin' shinies??

If you're talking about in X and Y, I'd suggest you make frequent use of the Friend Safari. That's where a majority of everyone's Shinies are appearing. Plus, I keep hearing that the Friend Safari has a boosted Shiny encounter rate on top of the alread doubled odds in X/Y.

If you're talking about in X and Y, I'd suggest you make frequent use of the Friend Safari. That's where a majority of everyone's Shinies are appearing. Plus, I keep hearing that the Friend Safari has a boosted Shiny encounter rate on top of the alread doubled odds in X/Y.

I heard similar things about the FS, but what about just general hunting? Any tricks to be aware of, or is it simply breed a billion times/have a billion RE's/SR a trillion times? lol

MDS777

The name's Riley
Finally hatched a shiny vulpix after 872 eggs through the Masuda Method. <3

I have a question. While MMing, I was using a female Ninetales and a Japanese Ditto. I hatched 871 eggs with those two, with no success. Eventually, I got fed up and decided to switch the ditto with a male Japanese Pyroar. The very first egg (being 872) from those two breeding together was my shiny. Is it just a coincidence, or is Ditto just really bad for Masuda Methoding? ;^;
Maybe the Japanese Ditto didn't like your Ninetales? Lol, I'm kidding. It was just a coincidence.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I heard similar things about the FS, but what about just general hunting? Any tricks to be aware of, or is it simply breed a billion times/have a billion RE's/SR a trillion times? lol

Definitely try out the Friend Safari, as was mentioned. All evidence points to an increased shiny chance there. You can also try out Chaining and Chain Fishing. If you want a shiny and don't care what it is or what nature it has, definitely chain fish. Most people get a shiny before a chain of 100. If you want a shiny that can be found in the grass and you want a certain nature on it, try regular PokeRadar chaining. I've had great success with it, but it takes a little bit of practice to get used to.

You can also try using the Masuda Method to breed, but this is more time-consuming than the other methods. However, by using the Masuda Method, you have more control over what nature, IVs, and abilities your shinies will have.

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
So, I decided to modify my MM habits. Normally, I load up on eggs, and go ride around the tower. This time, I decided to load up on eggs, and ride around in the FS while hatching them. .

this is that happened next =]

ferroseed.jpg

I wasn't even counting, but im guessing around 52 RE's based on the PP of moves used, +/- 5 RE's
this sweet little girl has IV's - 26, 27, 28 / 10 - 13 / 31 / 12 - 15 / 28 - 31 / 0 - 3 with a bashful nature.
now I just need to name her =]