• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

BugPokemonMaster316

Today has been rather eventful. First off, I traded my Shiny Dedenne for a Shiny Geodude which is now a Golem.

Then, just five minutes ago I ran into a shiny Swalot in the Friend Safari. I wasn't even shiny hunting, just catching a Gloom to evolve and then BAM! A Shiny Swalot appeared.

It has IVs that "can't be beat" in Defense and Special Defense. It has a Quiet nature and the Liquid Ooze ability.

9D218A2F-C4FF-4220-9A29-72AE4796A784_zpsjpe4gao6.jpg.html

That took a little longer than I expected to upload.

Last edited:
Hey, in X and Y, has anyone gotten a Shiny Mewtwo? I want to know what colors Mewtwo is when it's shiny. If it's cool enough lookin', I might be willing to SR a million times to find it. lol

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to rovert on Stunfisk, Kierzor on Froakie, Sito on Scyther, Cyberra on Klink, RaichuArcanine on Moltres, TomoEGoto on Spritzee, TheEmeraldKnight on Honedge, dark1raven3 on Froakie, ShinyMisty on Omanyte, PrinceB on Ralts, wingman32x on Tyrunt, Umbrie on Mudkip, Cutty on Amaura, darthmalice777 on Chespin, LexSuicune on Honedge, Tyrantrum on Cubone, Xionea on Beldum, totoro123 on Shuppet, and everyone else on all of their shinies!

Sorry to hear about your Moltres, Neji-and-Pidgeot :(

--------

A suggestion for the community hunt of January; To celibate winter, either Ice only or shinies with white in their scheme, though there are too little shinies that turn white as their main feature, there are many that have white in them. For example, Whimsicott's fluff turns white when shiny, or Coferigus' coffin is white as shiny. But Mincchino who is already white without being shiny, would count too.
Ice types is a possibility, but I'd rather not do another color-schemed hunt. Very few people actually liked it because it was too broad.
There was also the catch a shiny on the first route of a game idea to match the victory road hunt.
anyone else have an opinion on what we should do?

I don’t go out of my way to do the CH, so my opinion might not be worth much, but I think the First Route idea is fitting.

As for the color scheme one, while I like the concept, I seem to recall the last color-scheme CH ended up being a debate club more than anything…Some people would say a certain shiny should count for the selected color even if there was just a tiny speck of that color on the shiny, or people would have different opinions on whether a color was more red or more pink…Things like that. It just didn’t seem to work well.

----------

Well, I was mostly right about not getting to hunt much. I actually did manage to squeeze in 200 REs on Christmas, but no Christmas luck for me. And I did 400 REs today.

8,000 REs on Platinum, so probably over the odds tomorrow. 20,300 REs on Black 2, so…I’m still just dreading that it’s going to be another duplicate to shine after all that…And 1,900 REs on HeartGold, and hopefully since there are only 3 pokemon on Route 29, and Pidgey has the highest appearance rate, this will be my last phase for Pidgey :x A third Sentret is sort of useless, and a Ratata would be…Meh.

Good luck everyone! Hope you all had a good Christmas or a good holiday or a good normal day :)

Better question, for anyone who wants to answer: is Mewtwo shiny locked? I've searched for a while on any word about someone getting a Shiny Mewtwo, but it doesn't seem that anyone's found one yet... anyone find one or know anything further about this?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Better question, for anyone who wants to answer: is Mewtwo shiny locked? I've searched for a while on any word about someone getting a Shiny Mewtwo, but it doesn't seem that anyone's found one yet... anyone find one or know anything further about this?

Unfortunately, nobody knows if it's locked or not. If someone really has caught one in X/Y, they haven't given us the definitive proof.

Though in your previous post, you were asking what shiny Mewtwo's colors are. If so, then here's what it looked like in 5th Gen.

[img139]http://www.serebii.net/Shiny/BW/150.png[/img139]

If you mean what it looks like in 6th Gen, you'll have to wait and see if someone managed to Pokebank their own, but obviously the colors are the same. No word yet on shiny Mega Mewtwo, though. Maybe wait until it's back up on the eShop? I don't know, but I hope that answer helps at least a bit.

Meanwhile, I've actually successfully defeated all the Battle Chatelaines in the Super challenges of the Battle Maison, Multi included. That means that once Pokebank stuff is hopefully settled, I'll be back to actually hunting for stuff. A fossil hunt sounds nice about now, but I'll see if I actually go with that hunt.

MercyMe

Okay, so a few weeks ago I had to look for replacements for my Leafgreen and Emerald versions for certain reasons. Eh-hem. So the first of the replacements arrived today in the mail. Firered and Leafgreen! :) I will be getting Ruby and Sapphire in a few days. I already started a SR for Bulbasaur (420 SR) and I will be working on Squirtle tomorrow.

So I see the Nintendo eShop is going through some maintenance right now. Looking forward to it going back up and having Pokebank available. (^ v ^)

In regards to the CH. I kind of liked Kirkeastment's idea of using the animal Chinese calender. Sounds exciting. :) For example, I know that my Chinese animal is the year of the Boar. Makes me want to work all the more harder on my Tepig hunt!

As always, CG and GL everyone. <3

Just hit 540 eggs in my Y Version for my MM hunt for shiny Eevee.

In other news, my friend (the same one who hatched a shiny Honedge in about 80 eggs) just hatched a shiny Litwick today.

I'm getting really discouraged now... at this point, I don't even care if the shiny Eevee is a male or female or whether it has it's hidden ability or not. Preferably, I would like for it to be a female WITHOUT it's hidden ability and at least 4 IV's, but if I get a male with it's hidden ability and 3 IV's, I'll take it! This has taken me about a month now, but I don't want to give up and take a break in fear that I'll hatch, say, a shiny Azurill in two eggs, when that could have been a shiny Eevee.

I'll just keep trying, though... may you all have better luck than I'm having.

wbartholomy

Shiny Collector
Taking a break from MMing my list for a moment, Got wondertraded a HA Chimchar so I am trying to get a decent HA Female from that so I can add it to my list somewhere....

EmpressMyuu

Small update: So I didn't find any shinies on Christmas Day. Had a bit of luck on Boxing Day though as I did find a second shiny Clauncher! It may be a duplicate but I don't mind too much, I was hoping to find one to trade to a friend of mine that doesn't have X :)

ShadowRadon

Shiny Hunter
So I finally managed to chain a shiny in X and Y, after about 3 hours of attempting to get a chain to 40 and 30 minutes of resetting the radar:
This beautiful shiny pancham appeared!
WP_000088_zps0037f2e4.jpg

And Later that day, after a mere 678 REs, Shiny Slowpoke on my Y version!
http://bit.ly/1fM3htg

Very Pleased with both of these shinies :3

wbartholomy

Shiny Collector
Small update: So I didn't find any shinies on Christmas Day. Had a bit of luck on Boxing Day though as I did find a second shiny Clauncher! It may be a duplicate but I don't mind too much, I was hoping to find one to trade to a friend of mine that doesn't have X :)
Congratulations, I had the same Boxing day luck with my Honedge, I also snagged an Audino that is going to my friend for a New Years present!
Edit: Congratulations to you as well Shadow, I have not had any luck at all with that darn radar this gen

Fieora

Randomly breeding up Cyndaquils, aiming for a 5/6 IV pair, and up pops a beautiful 3IV shiny ^^ I'm so happy! I love Shiny Typhlosion, it really is one of my very favourite pokemon ^^

mapijs

i had a good morning today, the 51th egg had a nice tepig in it with a nice purple nose and tail and his body was slightly more yellow :D
gonna check his iv's after i hatched all the other eggs. gonna EV train it anyway and gonna use it online, no matter the IV's :p

gz everyone on your shinies
hope we can go out this year with a bunch of shinies a person XD

TheMaster327

To the person requesting to see what shiny Mewtwo on 6th gen looks like, there's some on the GTS at the moment (as Bank is out for Japan), so you can look there.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
To the person requesting to see what shiny Mewtwo on 6th gen looks like, there's some on the GTS at the moment (as Bank is out for Japan), so you can look there.

How long do you figure it'll take for eShop's service to come back up, and then actually release bank?

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
When I was horde hunting yesterday in connecting cave for zubat for speed evs I ran into a shiny zubat! Where most people would be annoyed by this because it's the all-annoying zubat in the cave, but I was really excited because I always wanted a shiny crobat! I'm also glad it is a female because I named her Batgirl. :) I am finishing up my ev training today on the last 2 Shinies i have gotten in X (vanillite and zubat) and then will probably dual Hunt in the safari (now thati am done with my BQ) for either Frogadier or that pesky espurr. I kinda also want to magnet pull for honedge.

As for the ch for next month, I like the idea above about finishing one relating to the animals. That way it gives a variety and I believe we did the "first Route" thing last January. (Showing my elder status here). :p

Anyways, congrats everyone on all their recent shinies and good luck to everyone, especially if you have had a very long Hunt!

Edit: if we do decide to do the Chinese New Year ch, I think so as to cause no confusion, a list should be made of what pokemon would count under what animal/creature.

Last edited:

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
So. A few of my games were stolen, including my White version that had almost all of my shinnies and event pokemon on it. Super upset about that.
I think I'll try to breed cyndaquil for now, as it's one of my favorites.

Congrats on all the recent shinnies though, and good luck to all!

CanadianGuyEh

How long do you figure it'll take for eShop's service to come back up, and then actually release bank?

Honestly, I don't know. But I'd say within a week, most likely.

No shiny roaming bird for me yet. Hoping to get one before Bank comes out.

Well the eshop is up and running again by what i can tell. Hopefully they still plan on releasing the Pokebank/transfer feature tool sometime today, probably tonight around midnight - if not, tomorrow, which i'm alright about.