• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Mr. Shinx

Has anyone else ever had the feeling of it being impossible to find a shiny? It's like my copy of Y is broken and doesn't allow shinies. I've not had a shiny for any of my badge quests since September! Still looking for Fennekin to start my Y BQ, going on tooooo long now! Triple hunting now to try and make it more interesting. All SR hunts at the moment in my different BQs, much prefer RE's so I'm dying for this drought to end.

Dragonitor

<- Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Dangertrout on Zangoose, Drakonekoshi on Noibat, GrayFire503 on Gloom, TheShinyLunatone on Seedot, Cutty on Klefki, Supremacy on Feebas (I LOVE Shiny Milotic :) ) and anyone else I might have missed. :)

As for me i slowed down hunting (due to me having to study for tests. :p ) Instead of dual hunting I'm just ehm....single hunting (or whatever you want to call hunting on 1 game. XD) for Shiny Cranidos for my Platinum BQ. 5 Cranidos' every SR and I'm almost at 100 now so almost 500 seen. I feel like this is going to take a while after those 2 rather short hunts before. But that beautiful red Cranidos is worth it....LET THE HUNT BEGIN!!! XD (The only thing annoying about this hunt is that I have to walk out and back in the museum to revive every fossil. That gets really annoying after...like 20 SR's XD)

Anyways anyone good luck with your hunts especially people who have REALLY long hunts. I hope the Shine comes your way soon. :)

wbartholomy

Shiny Collector
I think that MMing is the easiest way to get shinies this gen. Sure you can chain-fish or go to the friend safari but how useful will they be in the long run. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy catching them. They just feel more like trophies to me then actually usable pokes

MercyMe

I agree. MM bred Pokemon are probably the only shinies I would prefer having besides the starters or legionaries I SR for. Any other shiny I find via RE, CF, FS, or Pokeradar would probably remain in my boxes as a trophy Pokemon. That or a trading tool. As harsh as that sounds. :/

Last edited:

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Guys...speak about how crazy you are getting and your shiny will appear

Pichu hatches in a batch I wasn't going to hatch till later.

I am afraid to turn off the game because I forget it I saved before getting her. She looks BEAUTIFUL!
I did notice her when she hatched, but I didn't know for sure.

--------

Alright, here is the full story.
I hatch 100 more eggs yesterday, to get nothing. I am just devastated, and really wasn't looking forward to hatching more the next day. So, I only collected 30 before hatching. "I'll just subtract 20 from my next batch to make it even"
I get out to go to dinner and say how "I swear, I am going insane." Second I say that, a bright yellow Pichu appears on my screen. I didn't really know what to do.
As I have mentioned before, my sister is also hunting for a shiny. A Shiny Flabébé. I was worried to get my Pichu before she got her Flabébé. Turns out I got mine first.
I didn't really know if my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I didn't take a photo of the hatching page, and look in the screen. Loll and behold.

Status Screen | Pokemon-Amie | A Cute picture...because

So, Sun Burst is officially mine. I will try to get her into a Pikachu as quickly as I can, and then hunt for a Thunder Stone. [I cannot play the Super Training at all because I am left handed]
She sadly has Static, which means she didn't get the Lightning Rod ability I wanted [but...I am not kicking myself. Static is a fairly good ability, if you think about it.] She has a Hardy Nature and...Takes Plenty of Siestas.
Dictionary said:
si·es·ta [see-es-tuh] noun
a midday or afternoon rest or nap, especially as taken in Spain and Latin America.
...Oxnard and Sun Burst are LAZY! Uhg.
Her IVs...Looks like this: 31/xx/xx/xx/xx/xx...Yeah...saw that coming. xD

But yeah...I am so glad she came around. <3 Now I can relax for a little, get her to a Raichu...hopefully...

Also...for the first time ever...I get to say...
COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETED!
I have been waiting forEVER to say that. *wiggles with please* And now...I finally can!
I also got my first Shiny of the Year...YEAH~

Congratulations to everyone who got a Shiny since the last time I posted...and if you are hunting...NEVER GIVE UP!
I hope you all have a fantastic day~
~Misty​

Last edited:

Mays

After getting Charmeleon, which was my main target, I've now moved onto Lampent. I went into friend safari with Pumpkaboo, Spiritomb and of course Lampent and after hours of searching so far I'm without a shiny. Once Lampent happens (if it happens) I'll move onto Metang or Eevee!

TheMaster327

The Platinum birds are not shining for me :( All I want is one for now! But no. Arti, Zappy and Molty decide they do not want to be shiny, forcing me to endlessly SR... Good job I'm not counting for this hunt, must be over odds by now. I will persevere!!!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So, I'm IV breeding HA Gligar for my competitive team, and without trying, this happened.

[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/Snapshot_20140111_2_zps246486e8.jpg[/IMG139]

I haven't completed an intentional shiny hunt all of winter break, but this is a very welcome sight. Impish and Immunity, which is perfect, but the IV's have one flaw that makes me wary of using this competitively. IV's are 31 / 20 / 12 / 20 / 24 / 22, and while the HP IV makes it perfect for me to train that, the fact that defense is so low means I might not use this competitively. What I'll end up doing is EV training this shiny Gligar and a 5 IV one the same way, and then judge whether or not the difference is big enough (1500+ BP means two Razor Fangs isn't an issue). Either way, this is actually an awesome shiny, and I'm glad to have it.

Laurelai

1400 eggs and no shiny larvitar yet
/sigh :(

Xionea

Half a centaur
Just found my first horde battle shiny! It was a shiny Swablu. I want a Spinda, but the Swablu came really fast (third horde battle), so I will definitely not complain. It's a beautiful shiny, so I'm happy. I'll still keep going for a shiny Spinda. And at least if I find another Swablu, I can evolve one and keep the other as it is.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
So, I'm IV breeding HA Gligar for my competitive team, and without trying, this happened.

I haven't completed an intentional shiny hunt all of winter break, but this is a very welcome sight. Impish and Immunity, which is perfect, but the IV's have one flaw that makes me wary of using this competitively. IV's are 31 / 20 / 12 / 20 / 24 / 22, and while the HP IV makes it perfect for me to train that, the fact that defense is so low means I might not use this competitively. What I'll end up doing is EV training this shiny Gligar and a 5 IV one the same way, and then judge whether or not the difference is big enough (1500+ BP means two Razor Fangs isn't an issue). Either way, this is actually an awesome shiny, and I'm glad to have it.

Gratz! I did some playing around with a damage calculator, and with 12 IVs in def, you'll be receiving about 4-5% more damage than you would if you had a max IV in def, which isn't that big of a deal, so I think you should use it. :] But its up to you.

---------------------------

Well I have EV'd and evolved my Feebas and now it is a beautiful Milotic.

Ahh yes, such beauty. That makes community hunt complete x4!

I have already started on Buneary, and am about 60 eggs in so far. This better not take as long as Feebas >.>

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
I've been MMing on and off during my time to play video games, and I'm almost at 300 chespin eggs still without a red one. Saying as I got enough steps on my 3ds today to get x4 O-Power orb replenishing, I'm going to be hatching lots of eggs tonight, so hopefully I get a red chespin soon D:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Gratz! I did some playing around with a damage calculator, and with 12 IVs in def, you'll be receiving about 4-5% more damage than you would if you had a max IV in def, which isn't that big of a deal, so I think you should use it. :] But its up to you.

Oh, thanks for that! Hm, doesn't seem like a massive issue then, but I'll still try both in actual battles for awhile and see what I think of the difference then. Hopefully it's not a big deal, since I'd much rather use the shiny if possible (and every other IV is very workable). And congrats on that Feebas! Milotic is a great shiny, and I can't wait to transfer mine over with the Bank.

I should probably get back to hunting Tornadus, but I feel like I'll intentionally MM for another shiny that I plan to put on my team. What that will be, I'm not sure yet, maybe Scyther or Pawniard, but I still need my 5IV Gligar, so that won't be done just yet.

Atomcrasher

<-- Favorite Shiny
OMG: http://imgur.com/tsQgJES So after 9 days of SRing i got my shiny Thundurus! Went to check the nature expecting something terrible like Impish or Brave but it has a Rash nature!!. IVs are: 18/21/11/6/23/9 Shame it has bad sp.A and spd but considering i expected it to get a horrible nature i don't mind. Now that this hunt is over i can focus on my Bulbasuar hunt. Still not sure whether i want to SR for Tornadus or not, anyway good luck to everyone else! :)

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
Egg# 732 hatched a shiny Charmander! Got Solar Power, Modest, and IVs 31/x/31/31/31/22!! Can't wait to see shiny Charizard Y and mark my 3rd community hunt complete. Congrats Atomcrasher on shiny Thundurus, and good luck all!

edit:Community Hunt Complete x3!! Shiny Mega Charizard looks better than the pics I had seen. And thanks as always Cpchris for the congrats! Now on to Feebas.

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Karnu on Fletchling, TheResidentEvil on Yamask, Cold-Steeled on Azurill, manske90 on Marill, Crimson Penguin on Numel, Drakonekoshi on Cubone, TheShinyLunatone on Seedot, Scrufox86 on Mienshao, Cutty on Klefki, DarkOverlord777 on Porygon, Fisherman Fizz on Chimchar and Chikorita, Supremacy on Feebas, SuperNapalm on Gastly, wbartholomy on Larvesta and Noibat, Ibuki Mioda on Snivy, Shiny Misty on Pichu, Psynergy on Gligar, Atomcrasher on Thundurus, darthmalice777 on Charmander, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Scrufox86 and Crimson Penguin!

------------

Yeah, Ho-oh in Heart Gold does get slightly more PP than it does in Soul Silver, which I didn't realize until I found the shiny bird myself in SS. The trade-off being 5 less PP in SS for a move that doesn't do damage to you. Too bad it's Safeguard, which makes sleep an ineffective status to bother with when catching a SS Ho-oh (I always preferred paralysis, anyway). So you've got things covered there. It may be a ways away, but good luck on that! Not to mention, good luck on both Giratina hunts going on right now! I remember both you and Aqua starting a Platinum BQ not too long after me, and it's been like 7-8 months since I finished mine. I almost feel bad that my Giratina wasn't even at half the odds, when both of you still have this going now. I can't wait to see both of those hunts finish!

Meanwhile, I've still got my Tornadus hunt going. No idea how that's going, but I don't think I'm all that far. If anything, I'm at about 1000 SR's at the most, but I don't mind. I'll probably be starting an MM in Y soon, though, so I'll have that too.

Thanks :) Lugia is the same way in HG, too. It has Safeguard =\ As does Moltres, but luckily, that’s the only one of the 3 birds…But maybe since both Lugia and Moltres have more than twice as much PP as Giratina, I can get away with using paralysis and still catch them in Pokeballs. The calculator I’m using says the difference paralysis vs. sleep makes when at 1 HP and using pokeballs is 1.75% vs. 2.34%. Hopefully the PP is more than enough to make up for that, but I guess I’ll find out in due time…

I do remember you hunted Giratina as well on your BQ (and you also had a Machamp, Bibarel, and Roserade, I think!) :p So far my current Giratina troubles are just ones I’m imposing on myself, so I feel worse for Aqua who apparently hasn’t caught a break yet =\

Good luck with Tornadus!

----------

Well, I decided training on the two ace trainers was going fast enough, so I ended up leveling Gastly up to 100! So she’s at the best she can possibly be. I then set off to continue testing on Giratina.

I did 7 tests today, and on 6 of them, I caught Giratina in a pokeball! Out of that small sample size, it’s an 85% success rate. (Number of pokeballs thrown for each success: 20, 4, 34, 26, 29, 26).

The one test that didn’t succeed ended after 46 pokeballs were thrown (all of the pokeballs thrown in all tests are when Giratina is sleeping and at 1 HP). I even used Trick, which worked to restore all 5 PP to Ominous Wind, though it still wasn’t enough that time.

On my most recent test, I also had a run of bad luck, which was good to experience in practice…So as usual, I used Yawn, then switched in Luxray (at which point, Giratina falls asleep), then used Scary Face which missed (90% acc.), and Giratina ended up waking up immediately after that, so I had to use Scary Face again, then switch in Bibarel again (should only have to use her once, ideally) to use Yawn, stall the next turn, and then switch in Gastly to start using Battle Items. So that cost several extra moves. And to top it all off, Giratina ended up getting 2 or 3 stat boosts from Ancient Power/Ominous Wind, so I found myself having to use extra X Defends and Special Defends to make up for it. (Luckily, I still caught it after 26 pokeballs, with 7 Dragon Claws left, plus 5 extra Ominous Winds with Trick).

Hopefully whenever I find Giratina, it goes smoothly and I can catch it in a pokeball…And I’ll still be doing a lot more practice rounds so I can get a better idea of what the likelihood is I’ll be able to catch it in a pokeball.

And I’d like to thank those of you who offered suggestions once more (TheMaster327, Dragonitor, and The Prince of May) for at least helping me to make it more likely to succeed in my silly objective, even if it doesn’t end up working out for the real thing :)

---------

In addition to the Gastly training and Giratina practice, I also did 400 REs on Black 2 and HeartGold. So I’m at 800 REs on Black 2, and 9,600 REs on HeartGold. Hopefully at least one of those hunts wraps up soon – and by ‘wraps up’, I mean shines something that isn’t a duplicate ;)

Good luck, everyone!

MercyMe

Okay, so I have shiny news. Not sure if it's good news though. :( On SR # 5,178 I got yet another shiny Chikorita. At this point I can safely say, with no regrets that I'm officially done trying to get a Cyndaquil starter. The only good thing I can say right now is that: 1) The male Chikorita is neutral natured. (Quirky) 2) Has 31IVs in Defense. 3) The new ID I used (02272) lasted 428 SR. Which is pretty early.

So I'm going to take what I can get and run with it. Hope others are having better luck then me.

SR # 36: Shiny Totodile (Sassy)
SR # 3,310: Shiny Chikorita (Serious)
SR # 5,178: Shiny Chikorita (Quirky)

15,534 Starters In Total.

P.S. Would someone be kind enough to point me (Via Link) to where they get the template for their shiny cards. I really need to start documenting these guys. I'm going off of memory right now.