• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Pman11

Pokemon Savant
Wow....so after just starting another friend zone hunt, I was really hoping that I might finda shiny Charmeleon. However, after 66 encounters
20140118_233622.jpg

Another shiny Ponyta. I shouldn't complain about a shiny, but this is the third shiny ponyta I have found, and the second one in as many days. Gonna keep hunting for something else.

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
I'm a little late posting this first part, but I've got great shiny news! So two days ago I started a new hunt in Relic Castle on my Black 2. I was definitely not expecting anything to shine so soon, but after only 50 encounters, I came across a blue Yamask! I was super stoked, because it's a shiny that I've always wanted! And it's male, which is great as well.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/493x370q90/600/ow1a.jpg

I went to a movie after I found the shiny Yamask, and when I got home I realized I had left my game on. I was feeling pretty lucky at that point so I kept hunting. I moved to Route 18 to hunt for anything other than a fourth Sawk... And after 22 encounters I was shocked when I stumbled upon another shiny!! This time it was a cool looking Scrafty! This one was male as well, which I think fits it a lot better. So two shinies on the same game within 72 total encounters! Granted I do have the Shiny Charm, but even then I've never found anything in under 500 REs before. Can't wait for the bank so I can transfer these guys onto X!!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/493x370q90/138/yhep.jpg

And then there's the best part... My third shiny for this weekend!! Earlier today, after around 8,500 encounters, I found my fourth BQ shiny! It's an awesome female Pidgey with a Lonely nature. I was hoping for a Meowth or an Ekans, but I think that Pidgeot's shiny fits into my team very nicely! When I first saw the Pidgey, a thought occurred to me a little late... Does this thing have Whirlwind?? I was so worried that it might know Whirlwind, and I was mad at myself for not checking Pidgey's move set earlier. So I looked at Pidgey's move set..... and it doesn't learn Whirlwind till lv. 19!! I was soo lucky she was level 18... The first shiny I ever found was actually a Pidgeotto on Fire Red, which promptly used Whirlwind on me, so I'm glad I didn't have to repeat that! It's a little hard to tell that it's shiny in the first pic cuz of my SP's crappy backlight, so I got a summary pic as well. I can't believe my BQ is halfway over!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/493x370q90/208/ovij.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/493x370q90/843/vxzm.jpg

So overall a great weekend for shinies I guess! Congrats to everyone else on your shiny finds, especially Supremacy with that lucky shiny Starly! Good luck on all your hunts!:)

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to GrayFire503 on Fraxure, Birds of Paradise on Gabite, SheroGH on Froakie, Samus_Aran on Spritzee and Frogadier, dewey911p on Roggenrolla, Spinda, Foongus, Klefki, Aron, Honedge, and Cherubi, Laurelai on Totodile, Crimson862 on Floatzel and Gurdurr, elorasheppard on Rattata, Hells Envoy on Rayquaza, *IZ* on Clamperl, Shellder, and Skrelp, Jonah White on Charmander, Sxips on Remoraid, Alomomola, Whiscash, Basculin x3, Goldeen, Clauncher, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, and Sharpedo, PrinceB on Meditite and Ralts, Mays on Excadrill and Metang, Neji-and-Pidgeot on Seaking, Bulbasaur3 on Roggenrola, TheMaster327 on Cranidos, radjess331 on Clawitzer and Noibat, Scrufox86 on Butterfree, Mawile, and Oddish, Sealotic on Pumpkaboo x2 and Spiritomb, LexSuicune on Rotom, MimiSkitty on Solrock, Zekromaster826 on Absol, Gligari on Noibat, The Mighty Tuma on Snorunt, sunny phoenix on Sawsbuck, Rain Dance on Duosion, potaytoe on Camerupt, DarkOverlord777 on Magmar, Pman11 on Ponyta x2, yoshi007 on Eevee, FarFromFreedom on Noibat and Cascoon, varanus_komodoensis on Aipom, The Benmeister on Taillow, jesz_ on Shuppet, mrpuffalos on Wartortle, Alfred Jones on Cyndaquil, Supremacy on Starly, pokemaster13 on Yamask, Scrafty, and Pidgey, and everyone else on your shinies!

It's lucky number 7 for me - Shiny Minccino in 304 eggs!

I've been MMing pretty heavily over the weekend, and I wasn't really expecting anything today since this hunt was taking a little longer. But right as I was finishing up watching the football playoffs today, out popped a beautiful pink female Minccino, my seventh shiny this month! Her name is Velvet, and she has an Adamant nature with an incredible IV spread of 31/31/31/x/31/31! (Actually, her Sp. Atk IV is 0, but it's not like she'll be using special attacks anyway : P) Too bad she ended up with Cute Charm as her ability instead of Skill Link, but the IVs are more than I could have asked for. Now I just have to EV train her and somehow get my hands on a Shiny Stone so I can evolve her (what was Game Freak thinking when they decided to put only one or two of those evolutionary stones in the game?). Regardless, it makes Community Hunt Complete x4!

I still haven't managed to access Liepard in a Friend Safari yet (I do have a regular wild-caught Liepard, but I'd really like my shiny to have Prankster), so I think my next CH target will be Skiddo, which incidentally will be the first Pokemon introduced in 6th gen that I'll hunt for. I also need to start my Dragonspiral Tower hunt, so maybe I'll do some REs tomorrow.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Cutty

Forever now
I finished hatching the rest of 3 boxes of Noibat eggs, and as I thought no shiny bonus there for me (never been blessed w/ such luck in the past..).
I also started my last BQ hunt for #8 gym by horde encountering in Frost Cavern, hoping for shiny Vanillite.
Me & shiny Vanillite have a long history, I tried to hunt it like 3 times through REing in my B/W different versions and all ended up w/ shiny Karrablasts...
I'm positive the cosmos luck will be on my side this time...

tothewest88

Oh man, today has been awesome awesome awesome! Chain Fishing for Huntail ( I want one sooooo bad!) and I encounter TWO shiny Corsola (one of which I named Blu Cantrell..heh heh) and TWO shiny Octillery (the female of which I named Ursula)! SO excited about it, even though I already had a shiny Remoraid. :) The hunt continues for that elusive Huntail...

wingman32x

Hatched a Shiny Staryu on egg #202 via MM.

Timid Nature, Natural Cure. Judge says relatively superior potential. No perfect IV's, but Speed is "Fantastic", while Attack is "Terrible".

Not the best roll, but I'm happy. I did this hunt to reclaim the first shiny I've ever traded for, which was a shiny Starmie I got off GTS in gen V. I later found out it was hacked, though, so I ended up giving it away. So it's nice to reclaim it in a legit way.

On a side note, 13 seems to be my lucky number. I batch hatch eggs, and I store them in boxes 12-16. Of my 4 MM hunts, 3 hunts have ended in box 13. It's my lucky charm I guess. I get a little more hopeful when I hatch eggs from that box lol.

Last edited:

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
I just want to say Thank You to all of the people that go through and find all of the shinies people have gotten in a while and post a giant message congratulating all of them. Its really cool and you guys don't need to do it and you still do. Anyways happy hunting everyone!

ElitheProphet

Got a shiny Braixen in the Friend Safari just now!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Laurelai on Totodile, elorasheppard on Ratata, Hells Envoy on Rayquaza, Jonah White on Charmander, PrinceB on Meditite, Bulbasaur3 on Roggenrola, TheMaster327 on Cranidos, LexSuicune on Rotom, MimiSkitty on Solrock, Zekromaster826 on Absol, The Mighty Tuma on Snorunt, yoshi007 on Eevee, The Benmeister on Taillow, PrinceB on Ralts, Alfred Jones on Cyndaquil, Supremacy on Starly, pokemaster13 on Yamask and Scrafty and Pidgey, Crimson Penguin on Mincinno, wingman32x on Staryu, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats and encouragement, TheShinyLunatone and Supremacy :)

------------

Well, I didn't get to do any hunting today.
Saturday night, my laptop finally crashed. I'd gotten an alert earlier in the week saying the Hard Drive was damaged and to get it repaired/replaced, so I got all my other files that weren't already backed up (like the raw footage of my shinies) saved onto CDs. I looked into the alert I'd gotten, as I was at first suspicious it was something from a virus, but everything I read about it seemed legitimate...But I'm still using the same hard drive, except I had everything reset and restored to factory settings, so I don't know what that means.

But I wanted to live hunt, and didn't have the motivation to set up my digital camera, which would only be able to record 2 screens somewhat effectively...I already ordered a new Hard Drive on Thursday or Friday, so I'll put my current HDD in my other laptop (as I'm not sure if this HDD is going to last or not, but my other laptop's has been dead for a couple years now), and I'll put the new one in this laptop (which means doing all the recovery discs again >.< but the new HDD should at least be even faster with an extra 250-300 GB of space).

But I can at least use my webcam to live record my hunts again, so I should be able to hunt again tomorrow. I still hunted on Saturday and did 600 REs and 450 SRs.

There are still another 12 days left to January, so I'm eager to see if I can find some more shinies (preferrably new ones :x) before the month is out. January's been one of my best months with 4 shinies, tied with September and only behind April (5) and October (6)...Although, I didn't get my 3rd XL until mid-late August, so I guess it's only natural I'm finding more shinies now than before :p

Anyways, good luck, everyone!

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
I have to remmber to use Synchronize Ralts when I'm shiny hunting in safaris. Caught a Teddiursa that was Calm natured :(

MimiSkitty

congrats to Romanticide on cyndaquil, professorj15 on klefki, wartortle, clamperl, corsala, skrelp, and pikachu CPchris on koffing, you'll get that growlithe one day! congrats to the Benmeister on sandile, Forsaken Greninja on basculin, veranus_komodoensis on todadile, Crimson Penguin on gurdurr, Grayfire503 on fraxure, Birds of Paradise on gabite, SheroGH on froakie(2 egg@ wow@), SAmus_Aran on spriyzee i want one :p, Dewy911p on chrubi, Laurelai on totadile u will get that larvitar!! bad luck to CallMyName pm kirlia...try using shadow tag/mean look/block, elorasheppard on rattata, *IZ* on clamperl and shelfer, Jonah white on charmander, Sxips on alomola,wiscash, basculins and sharpedo,

congtays a;so to princeB on meditite,npotaytoe on trapinchx4 and camerupt, mays on metang/excadrill, neji=and=pidgeot on seaking, bulbasaur3 on roggenrola, TheMaster327 on cranidos, radjess331 on noibat and clawitzer scruffox86 on butterfree, sealotic on pumpkaboo, Lexsuicune on rotom, MimiSkitty on Solrock, ZekromMaster826 on absol, Gligari on noibat, The Mighty Tuma on snorunt aunny pheonix on sawsbuck, pman11 on on ponyta

woo awesome job everyone! so, o jusy found out that i have a six iv japanese weaville, which i am now breeding with my new dw woobat for mm! stored 4 boxes so far, hope it shines soon!!

goofluck everyone!

It's so nice of you to take the time to congrate everyone. :) Thank you! Solrock has terrible IVs and a terrible Nature, but I still adore the look of it and I might use it as an in-game Pokemon. Or at least play with it in Pokemon Amie. It's soooo red!! <3

*IZ*

This is messed up. All you guys get shinies without trying in the friend safari and I have spent 5 hours today, and 2 hours a day for the past week to try to get a shiny ivysaur. I have not encountered a shiny at all in the FS. I am really getting frustrated.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
This is messed up. All you guys get shinies without trying in the friend safari and I have spent 5 hours today, and 2 hours a day for the past week to try to get a shiny ivysaur. I have not encountered a shiny at all in the FS. I am really getting frustrated.
Rng is Rng, endlessly trying for a shiny is the fastest way to get annoyed when it doesn't pop out. Now for a bit of perspective I have ~650 hrs in my X version and have encountered 7-9 shinies, the rates are kind of that low (tho be aware that 80% of the time I'm not actively hunting for them).

As for the Ivysaur, make sure you have the 3rd pokemon unlocked in that safari; I believe the shiny rate isn't increased until you have full access to all the Pokemon and the HAs from the safari you are hunting in.

And at the end of the day this is just a game and if you are not enjoying what you are doing take a 15min break and decide if you want to continue or you wana do something else. Worst thing is you get a snack or use the bathroom.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Didn't get any eggs hatched this afternoon... Was playing some Minecraft on my xbox when one of my friends came online and we ended up playing co-op till late evening. After which I had to go run errands in bad weather... So no hatching was done. Am back to hatching now, still hoping for a blue fire pony without having to go into another round of eggs.

Still looking for the elusive red sword in Y. I haven't been counting the encounters, but I'm probably at around 2,000 REs now, give or take.

*IZ*

Rng is Rng, endlessly trying for a shiny is the fastest way to get annoyed when it doesn't pop out. Now for a bit of perspective I have ~650 hrs in my X version and have encountered 7-9 shinies, the rates are kind of that low (tho be aware that 80% of the time I'm not actively hunting for them).

As for the Ivysaur, make sure you have the 3rd pokemon unlocked in that safari; I believe the shiny rate isn't increased until you have full access to all the Pokemon and the HAs from the safari you are hunting in.

And at the end of the day this is just a game and if you are not enjoying what you are doing take a 15min break and decide if you want to continue or you wana do something else. Worst thing is you get a snack or use the bathroom.
Naw dude, not that type of frustrated, more like, "Damn, I wish I was as lucky as some other people" type of frustrated. But yea I'm doing it on a Pansage/Ivysaur/Quilladin safari.

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
Just got 2 shiny Mareep horde hunting, 1 male and 1 female. Both have decent potential with Adamant and Hasty natures... best IV's in attack. Silly Ralts, why wont you Sync?!!
Ohwell, I'll keep trying until I get a modest one, knowing myself I'll end up with a modest Tauros instead :p. Anyway, at least I can have the Mareep family line in shiny :D

Congratulations to everyone that has found a shiny and to those having a drought, hang in there! Luck will be coming your way soon :D

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Naw dude, not that type of frustrated, more like, "Damn, I wish I was as lucky as some other people" type of frustrated. But yea I'm doing it on a Pansage/Ivysaur/Quilladin safari.
make sure to use Synchronise in the 1st slot to have some kind of controll over the nature of the shiny. THe only thing worse than not finding one is finding one and it not bein useable (Q.Q Teddiursa).

Silly Ralts, why wont you Sync?!!
-.-

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
So for whatever reason I stayed up all night EV training my new shiny Taillow. I love days off. Then I trained it up a bit and evolved it into a Swellow, which is what I wanted this whole time. Looks pretty sweet!

So now I suppose I'd better go for the Community hunt. I'd love to get a horse shiny, with it being the year of the horse next year, but there's not too much of the month to go so I'll take anything. I'll just be looking round random Friend Safaris.

dan2point5

Congrats to Supremacy on Chespin/Unown/Starly, CpChris on Magnemite/Koffing, AquaRegisteel on Torchic and to everyone else who has recently obtained shinies (once again there's been soooo many).

Well after 3,109 SR's I finally managed to encounter Shiny Ho-oh! For some reason it refused to be caught in an ultra ball so I had to resort to just chucking my master ball but I don't mind really, even though I was saving it for when I hunt mewtwo.

But anyway hells yeah, shiny Ho-oh is miiiiiine!

Good luck to everyone!

mapijs

Base rate in Gen 6: 1/4096 (1/1365 with the Shiny Charm)
Friend Safari: 1/512
Masuda Method: 1/683

does shiny charm work on horde encounters? i hope not... would be a little OP