• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
It took over 2400 eggs in Pokemon X, but I finally have the most gorgeous Piplup I have ever seen. He has a suckish Impish nature, but I don't care, he's my shiny baby boy! I'm going to be very careful with his EV training, I don't want him to get too many Attack EVs c: either way I've already pampered him in Amie, and I'm off after a shiny Treecko as his starter buddy.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

radjess331

Reptile Keeper
For those of you who have found shinnies in the friend safari. How quickly after entering the safari did you encounter them. Ive noticed that my last three friend safari shinies were the first pokemon to appear upon entering. Now I did spend several hours RE'ing insude then left and came back. But what Im wondering if the rate is higher the earlier on.

Illusione-Tempus

Congrats on all the shinies. :>

radjess331 said:
For those of you who have found shinnies in the friend safari. How quickly after entering the safari did you encounter them. Ive noticed that my last three friend safari shinies were the first pokemon to appear upon entering. Now I did spend several hours RE'ing insude then left and came back. But what Im wondering if the rate is higher the earlier on.

My first random FS shiny happened to be encountered a few encounters after I first entered, while my second was after I spent about one or two hours circling the Safari looking for a Magician Braixen.

It just depends on luck. You just happened to encounter your three FS shinies upon entering. :>

Anyway, after three days of non-stop trading at the GTS, and after getting pummeled again and again at the Battle Maison, I finally got myself the Shiny Charm. :D

Although, I still wonder about how it affects the shiny rate. Has anyone discovered whether it actually affects MM? I believe FS isn't affected, but if it doesn't affect MM, then I guess I'll go Horde Hunting for a while to test it out. :/

radjess331

Reptile Keeper
You get dex data from battle maison ?

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies!

I only did an hour of hunting yesterday, so I've only gotten up to 13,409 SRs for Lugia now

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
After that Shiny Horsea, which I got yesterday, I got Shiny Swanna! It has Bold, which is pretty ba, I don't like that nature, but I still love it!

Now hunting on Fire safari, trying to get Shiny Growlithe or Larvesta. (Because I haven't discovered third one yet)

Illusione-Tempus

You get dex data from battle maison ?

Nah, the pummeling at the Battle Maison was for the trade-evolution items and the Razor Claw as well as the Razor Fang. I mean really, they're not available anywhere else aside from trading BP at the Battle Maison. The final stretch just to get a Razor Fang was the hardest for me, as I can't keep my streak well.

Anyway, unless if you want to get pummeled (if you're bad at battles) at the Battle Maison for the items like me, just go find the trade-evolution entries somewhere else. .3.

Back on topic... I haven't obtained anything yet, as I haven't begin the horde hunt. But I'm targeting for Mareep, as I haven't completed any of the community hunt this month and I want myself a cotton candy Mareep. :3

Dangertrout

Last night I collected / hatched another 150ish eggs for honedge.
Somewhere around the 100th egg I hatched a shiny female Honedge ^_^
Adamant with 31/31/7-10/31/31/31.
Too bad about the defense iV, but whatever. I'm using it anyways!
EV trained it last night, now I just have to level it up :p

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I got a shiny Smeargle via chaining. It was interesting because, it seemed like the chain went by really fast. This means Community Hunt Complete I think? I also got the Oval Charm with a good portion of the pokemon being just seen.(With one of the three legendary birds as seen and caught too.) Now I can really start breeding. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

killercloud

Congrats on everyone's recent shinies.

I completed the dex on Y recently and so started to shiny hunt a competitive team. I Got a four perfect IV japanese ditto on the GTS and then started breeding my battle worthy Chansey with it and got a shiny chansey with the right nature, perfect IVs where I wanted them and a seismic toss on it so very happy. Then bred an almost perfect Gastly and now breeding that with the foreign ditto to get a shiny one.

benjamon1111

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations to all recent shinies!

After 11ish hours hunting in the friend safari I have finally found a shiny. Its not what i wanted but oh well. Shiny Zebstrika, and the modest synch worked, although I wanted helioptile. I'll keep trying in the same safari. If anyone wants it feel free to PM me for a shiny trade.

EDIT: Just realized, Community Hunt complete 3x over!

Last edited:

JoshRJV77

I guess my opinion (whatever that’s worth) depends on what you mean exactly…If the ‘for now’ means you’re just taking a break from it, then I guess if that’s what you feel you need to do, go for it. If you’re thinking about giving up on it for good, then that’s different story.

Regardless of which option you choose, I have to say I don’t really understand why you would want to start a different BQ on SS, since they’re practically the same game.

And if the 10k REs are making you want to give up the BQ for good, then it just doesn’t seem like a good reason to me…Not every hunt is going to be under the odds. No one’s luck is going to last forever, or, if someone is unusually and consistently lucky, they’re eventually bound to hit a long hunt somewhere along the road. My first 10 shinies all appeared under the odds. Then the next 4 were all over the odds. These over-the-odds hunts are going to happen one way or another :\

Even on my own HG BQ, I started off with great luck…A shiny starter under 3k SRs, my Sentret at 3.4k REs, my Female Nidoran after 2.6k REs, a duplicate Female Nidoran after 1.7k REs, then a Male Nidoran after 135 REs…But that’s where the luck ends for now, since my next shiny didn’t appear for 12k REs and was just a duplicate Sentret, and my current hunt is at 14k REs.

My point is, long hunts are going to happen, and you can’t really avoid them :p You can switch hunts but there’s still a chance you hit 10k again, and then you’re just at 2 hunts that hit 10k and gave nothing, when maybe your first hunt would have given you something by then.

In the end though, all that really matters is that you enjoy what you’re doing. So all reasoning aside, if you really aren’t happy continuing your hunt, then maybe you’re right about switching it up for a bit (though I still don’t see the point in giving it up

All I meant was I wanted to switch things up for a bit, I got tired of looking at the same pokemon all day! Lol! I did sme hunting in other games to change things up but I am back to searching today in heart gold, I understand the odds and everything and don't plan to just give up like that, I simply meant take a break to change things up! And I thought about starting the BQ on SS to see if I get lucky with an early shiny starter! This is my first BQ and first time hunting shinies at full odds so I'm still adjusting and obviously it does get somewhat frustrating after a while so I just wanted to change things up so I don't loose my motivation!

Doobius

decided to hit up safari this morning and look for shinies. one of my safari friends has a sligoo, dragonair, and a gabite, so its really win win no matter what comes out shiny. only thing is with those 3, the sligoo and dragonair are easy to tell if they are shiny since their colors are so different. i knew the gabite would be the one to pay closer attention to when it appeared so you could see the shiny stars to tell it was shiny.

so i am about 10 encounters in or so and look away for a minute and didn't see the start of the encounter for a gabite. when i look back, i was about to run, but noticed something looked different about this gabite. was more navy blue than faded purple. so i start throwing pokeballs at it without taking down its HP. it makes contact with my talonflame and gets burned, and the clock starts ticking on needing to catch it.

i come check online real quick to confirm its a shiny and that i NEED to catch it....and sure enough the colors match the shiny sprite. so i throw a couple luxury balls at it, catch it, and then confirm. got me a shiny lonely male sand veil gabite. IVs in sp. def. and speed. and defense is 30-31 with the .9 for nature. boom. not bad. looks like i'll be having me a hot pink and purple mega garchomp.

So I've spent another few hours progressing through dozens of Murkrow eggs, and still no fabulous pink/purple/whatever Murkrow. It's kind of starting to annoy me.

Quick question: Has it been confirmed whether or not the Shining Charm affects odds of shinies obtained via MMing?

professorj15

Doobius, I found a Gabite in a friend safari yesterday as well, congrats on catching him! I know people say the shiny colors for that line just aren't that impressive, but I actually love the shade of blue. I may keep him as a Gabite, since I already have a Black 2 shiny Garchomp.

Anyways, school starts back tomorrow, and I have reached the goal I set out to accomplish: fill up a box of pokemon with shinies. Gabite was number 30, but then while horde hunting last night for Mareep, I felt like doing some chaining (even though the grass patch is so ridiculously small) because why not? Surprised to see that I got my chain to 40 and managed to snag a gorgeous green Tauros--shiny #31 and community hunt complete x2!

Good luck everyone on your hunts. I still have Eevee eggs to hatch--haven't MM'd successfully since August so it would be great to see something shine soon.image.jpg

*IZ*

I've been shiny hunting in a friend safari for 3 weeks. Still no luck.
So I've spent another few hours progressing through dozens of Murkrow eggs, and still no fabulous pink/purple/whatever Murkrow. It's kind of starting to annoy me.

Quick question: Has it been confirmed whether or not the Shining Charm affects odds of shinies obtained via MMing?
Yup if I remember correctly the odds are something crazy like 1:400

Doobius

thanks professor. i think the colors are one of those pokes where it is kind of meh to be a shiny since there is no real difference, but then with the mega evo, it is completely different.

GrayFire503

Advanced Breeder
Today I recently got a Japanese Ditto and I wanted to mm a starter so I go for Turtwig. 12 eggs later I get a Shiny Turtwig. It is male and is adamant with no perfect ivs but that is fine. Turtwig yet again has inspired to keep me going. The first time was when I was about to quit Pokemon entirely until I saw turtwig as a starter in fourth gen. Now he has inspired me to keep mming other Pokemon and not to always rely on the fs. Thanks Turtwig. Good Luck on everyone hunts. Happy Shiny Hunting.

;387; ;388; ;389;

Laurelai

ok, this month's CH was killing me, so I put a hold on my shiny Larvitar hunt (personal project to obtain all the mega forms in shiny) temporarily - ugh 2000 eggs so far. I have wanted a shiny Milotic for years, so now is the time! I managed to breed a 6 IV male Feebas (my first perfect!!) and am crossing with a 5 IV female. Wish me luck!