• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Squirtle_Master

Leader of the Dark
Congrats to everyone who had the fortune of obtaining a shiny recently!

I'm currently using the Masuda Method on Y for a shiny Charmander. No luck yet but so far I've hatched 270 eggs. I will obtain a perfect Charmander soon!

Good luck to everyone else!

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
So I decided to temporarily put my Zorua MM hunt on hold and just focus on latias and now Kyruem! I really like shiny kyruem white so im trying to get that, im dual hunting with rubber bands on both my ds's. And while watching videos on youtube i managed to find a guy who was playing through on a walkthrough of black and found a shiny kyruem without SR'ing it just random lol.

EDIT:

Rubber bands?

Also thinking of putting gulpin on hold so i can work on some competitive teams.

Yes rubber bands make it so i can SR quicker and with less hassle. Especially with two ds's. All I have to do is press start and select and it resets.

EDIT 2

Massive congrats to everyone who has obtained a shiny lately!

...It is done. After 286 days, 186 in-game hours, and over 31,600 encounters... BADGE QUEST COMPLETE!!!

I just don't know what to think right now... When I decided to start this BQ nine months ago, I didn't know if I'd have the resolve to carry it all the way through. I never imagined myself sitting here, about to tell all of you about my eighth and final shiny encounter, especially after my first target took two months to shine. When X and Y came out, as I was hunting for my fourth target, I figured that my quest wouldn't get finished until a much later date. But after I resumed my progress in December, the BQ moved along at an incredible pace - I managed to capture 4 shinies within a month. And tonight, after a mere 749 REs in Dragonspiral Tower, shiny Golett appeared!

I think my jaw hit the floor when the little automaton graced my screen... I was expecting a much longer hunt after my last three targets all appeared within 2000 encounters. In some ways I kind of wanted a long hunt to finish off the BQ, just to make it all the more worthwhile, but I'm not complaining! Golett was given the name Megatron, and it has a Sassy nature with the Klutz ability (lol). I was actually hoping for Mienfoo or Druddigon on this hunt, but shiny Golett looks surprisingly impressive, and it's growing on me quickly. (Also, I just realized that this is my 8th shiny this month... nice little coincidence there. XD) And just as a side note, my average hunt length over the whole quest was 3,952 encounters, just under half the odds. I can't believe how lucky I've been the past couple of months!

Now that my BQ is over... I'm planning on starting another one! Since Latias is mine and she's been safely transferred to Black, I can now restart SoulSilver and play through it for the first time in four years. I don't know exactly when I'll start it, but I'm hoping that I'll have enough time over the weekend to SR for one of the starters. I'm also considering another BQ on Y, but I need to play through it again so I can catch Articuno for the Dex before I do that. And my Skiddo MM hunt on X is still going, albeit slowly. I think I've hatched about 90 eggs so far... maybe I'll hatch some tomorrow to try to complete the CH one more time.

Well, good luck to all of you on your hunts, and hopefully I'll be back with another quest soon!

oh, and given Golett's navy and lime green color scheme, Seahawks are totally going to win the Super Bowl. Seems legit, right? XD

CONGRATS! Thats a long badgequest you had there.

Last edited:

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
So I decided to temporarily put my Zorua MM hunt on hold and just focus on latias and now Kyruem! I really like shiny kyruem white so im trying to get that, im dual hunting with rubber bands on both my ds's. And while watching videos on youtube i managed to find a guy who was playing through on a walkthrough of black and found a shiny kyruem without SR'ing it just random lol.

Rubber bands?

Also thinking of putting gulpin on hold so i can work on some competitive teams.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Finally! After a week of broken chains and disappointment, i managed to get a chain of 40 and it yielded this gangsta. Adamant nature too so i can put him on my fighting team. Now all i have left is Tauros and i can leave route 12 forever. Definitely the hardest place i've ever chained.

The Exalt

Original
So I'm putting my Phantump MM on hold and I am going to go for a shiny Sandshrew. Shandshrew has been my all time favorite pokemon since I was little and I really want a shiny one. I think I am going to go for two shinnies so I can have the whole evolutionary line in shiny form because I love both their shiny forms. Wish me luck!

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
Finally Chained a shiny Fletchling last night <3 for some reason, I always find chain shinies on the 13th chain.. idk why.

And in my hunt for Nidoran, another shiny Stunky, except this one, I didn't knock out on accident. Hopefully Nidoran will shine for me soon <3

congrats to everyone! and good luck for those still hunting <33

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Massive congrats to everyone who has obtained a shiny lately!

...It is done. After 286 days, 186 in-game hours, and over 31,600 encounters... BADGE QUEST COMPLETE!!!

I just don't know what to think right now... When I decided to start this BQ nine months ago, I didn't know if I'd have the resolve to carry it all the way through. I never imagined myself sitting here, about to tell all of you about my eighth and final shiny encounter, especially after my first target took two months to shine. When X and Y came out, as I was hunting for my fourth target, I figured that my quest wouldn't get finished until a much later date. But after I resumed my progress in December, the BQ moved along at an incredible pace - I managed to capture 4 shinies within a month. And tonight, after a mere 749 REs in Dragonspiral Tower, shiny Golett appeared!

I think my jaw hit the floor when the little automaton graced my screen... I was expecting a much longer hunt after my last three targets all appeared within 2000 encounters. In some ways I kind of wanted a long hunt to finish off the BQ, just to make it all the more worthwhile, but I'm not complaining! Golett was given the name Megatron, and it has a Sassy nature with the Klutz ability (lol). I was actually hoping for Mienfoo or Druddigon on this hunt, but shiny Golett looks surprisingly impressive, and it's growing on me quickly. (Also, I just realized that this is my 8th shiny this month... nice little coincidence there. XD) And just as a side note, my average hunt length over the whole quest was 3,952 encounters, just under half the odds. I can't believe how lucky I've been the past couple of months!

Now that my BQ is over... I'm planning on starting another one! Since Latias is mine and she's been safely transferred to Black, I can now restart SoulSilver and play through it for the first time in four years. I don't know exactly when I'll start it, but I'm hoping that I'll have enough time over the weekend to SR for one of the starters. I'm also considering another BQ on Y, but I need to play through it again so I can catch Articuno for the Dex before I do that. And my Skiddo MM hunt on X is still going, albeit slowly. I think I've hatched about 90 eggs so far... maybe I'll hatch some tomorrow to try to complete the CH one more time.

Well, good luck to all of you on your hunts, and hopefully I'll be back with another quest soon!

oh, and given Golett's navy and lime green color scheme, Seahawks are totally going to win the Super Bowl. Seems legit, right? XD

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 676 hordes/3380 pokemon seen, the shiny sound reaches my ears. But it wasn't the seviper I was looking for. Instead, it was...

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6129_zps9faa273d.jpg[/IMG139]

...a shiny wingull. It'll come in handy when I get the Fly HM (unless I've caught a better candidate since). I will not be evolving it, though... Not fond of pelipper, shiny or normal.

The hunt for seviper continues.

My second hatch for ekans again came up empty. I'm almost finished egg collection for round 3, just 4 more boxes of eggs to go

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
congrats on all the shinies everyone got but im ready again to start hatching those eggs :D i will be mming for a shiny swirlix my next fairy target hoping to get a adamant bellydrum with 5 ivs wish me luck guys and good luck to all hunts ^_^

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to ClipOwl on Venipede, MultiDarkShadow777 on Cyndaquil, Drakonekoshi on Cubone, Crimson Penguin on Golett (and completing your BQ!), and everyone else!

YES! After 1,136 eggs shiny Meditite hatches!

IVs are 31/31/x/31/31/31, all the really matters are the attack and speed IVs, so I'm definitely happy those two IVs came out perfect. From now on I'm just gonna focus on finishing up this Kalos quest, my next MM hunt will be for Gale Wings Fletchling, I just hope my horrible luck with abilities doesn't rear its ugly ratchet head and I don't end up hatching multiple Flame Body Flecthlings *cringes*

Good luck everyone! :]

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
I finally found good condition preowned copies of HeartGold and Pearl. Opened the save file in Pearl and could not believe it. The previous owner was in the middle of a badge quest and had 6 shinies. On HG there was a legit Shiny Ho-Oh. Sent those shinies to my copy of Black 2 and am now starting my own badge quest in HG. Up to 220 SRs for any shiny starter, I hope I get a cyndaquil. I bought a digital counter to track my SR/REs.

Have done a few more horde encounters in Y and have found another shiny wingull and a shiny murkrow. :)

As always, congrats to those who have completed their hunts and quests. To the others who are still looking, I hope something shines for you soon.

Last edited:

Austratus

a paper man
So, I'm getting into Masuda Method for the first time, officially. My first target is Fletchling-- for which I'm using a Gale Wings Talonflame (male) and a JPN Ditto.

Any pointers? Or just patience?

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
So, I'm getting into Masuda Method for the first time, officially. My first target is Fletchling-- for which I'm using a Gale Wings Talonflame (male) and a JPN Ditto.

Any pointers? Or just patience?

Definitely patience is important. The method I take (although I haven't done it in X/Y yet, so it may be more difficult) is to collect four eggs at a time, and every time a new one is available, I pick it up and put it in the PC. I find that to be best because you can collect and hatch at the same time, and if you hatch a shiny, there won't be so many eggs to finish off hatching. Also, make sure the only Pokemon in your party is one with Flame Body or Magma Armour.

Anyway, congratulations on all the recent shinies, and especially on finishing that Badge Quest!

I've reached 13,471 SRs for Lugia now on SoulSilver... hoping this will end soon, even though I know I say that every time xD

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I haven't had much time to hunt due to university work but my report is done and I have a free weekend. Going to spend a lot of time on my Buneary MM hunt. At 65 eggs currently. I hope I get it before 1000 eggs so I can move in to another hunt. Possibly a shiny Mawile.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
Congrats on recent sinies caught. Good luck for those whose still huntng...

On my way home from my college interview, I decided to do a chain fishing. When I reached the chain of 13, this shiny Poliwhirl appeared.
SAM_7408_zpsc561fced.jpg
I decided to continue fishing, when another shiny Poliwhirl appeared at chain 32.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/kyogre3/SAM_7409_zpsf49242ec.jpg
When I arrived home, I received a Spewpa from a Wonder Trade then decided to evolve it in a Normal safari with Audino. Unexpectedly, this shiny Audino appeared.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/kyogre3/SAM_7410_zpscde6d295.jpg

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats on all new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! ^w^

I don't have anything to report, so i'm just in for a update. Anyways, I just reached the part in my Soulsilver version where I have to catch Lugia, so I decided to SR for a shiny one as well.
SRing for Lugia feels surprisingly fast actually, considering that the only other things I've tried SRing for has long dialogues except for my Cyndaquil. Lugia is at 186 SRs so far.
I've lost all motivation for my Furfrou MM, so I'm putting that on hiatus for whenever I feel like continuing it again (maybe next week when I get home from my vacation).

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
So, in the interest of drawing up a full list for the proposed February Community Hunt, we want Love Pokemon and Pokemon Pairs. So. Any pokemon that evolves through friendship counts, as long as you do evolve it that way (or, in the case of Eevee, through Amie to Sylveon is also permissible) as well as any Pokemon which are part of a pair. This one's a little fuzzier to define, but any pokemon which are thematically linked and introduced in the same generation make an obvious starting point, as well as a few cross-generational pairs as suggested by the games (like Pinsir-Heracross). You only need one from a pair to complete the community hunt, but going for a complete pair seems like a pretty good idea. To save space, only the lowest evolutions in the pair will be named.

Questions to sort out: How do we consider Pokemon like Trubbish, which is thematically linked to Koffing and Grimer? Do we now no longer have a pair, and thus none of them qualify? Or do we only count the original pair and leave Trubbish in the dust? How about the Hitmons? Or Wurmple, Snorunt, and others which evolve into their own pairs?

So, our list:

Friendship:
Golbat (Crobat), Chansey (Blissey),Eevee (Umbreon, Espeon, Sylveon), Pichu (Pikachu), Cleffa (Clefairy), Igglybuff (Jigglypuff), Togepi (Togetic), Azurill (Marill), Budew (Roselia), Buneary (Lopunny), Chingling (Chimecho), Munchlax (Snorlax), Riolu (Lucario), Woobat (Swoobat), Swadloon (Leavanny)

Pokemon Pairs
Caterpie-Weedle, Pidgey-Spearow, Nidoran♀-Nidoran♂, Zubat-Woobat, Geodude-Roggenrola, Vulpix-Growlithe, Oddish-Bellsprout, Abra-Ralts, Machop-Timburr, Poliwag-Tympole, Grimer-Koffing, Tyrogue (?), Elekid-Magby, Pinsir-Heracross, Tauros-Miltank, Eevee (Leafeon and Glaceon), Omanyte-Kabuto, Mewtwo-Mew, Spinarak-Ledyba, Murkrow-Misdreavus, Houndour-Elektrike, Lugia-Ho-oh, Wurmple, Lotad-Seedot, Taillow-Wingull (?), Sableye-Mawile, Plusle-Minun, Volbeat-Illumise, Carvahna-Wailmer, Zangoose-Seviper, Solrock-Lunatone, Lileep-Anorith, Shuppet-Duskull, Snorunt, Clamperl, Latias-Latios, Cranidos-Shieldon, Burmy, Cresselia-Darkrai, Lillipup-Purrloin, Cottonee-Petlil, Tirtouga-Archen, Gothita-Solosis (?), Karrablast-Shelmet, Rufflett-Vullaby, Heatmor-Durant, Spritzee-Swirlix, Tyrunt-Amaura, Phantump-Pumpkaboo

Note, I'm not including Luvdisc-Alomomola because other than imagined design similarities, there's not really anything pointing to them as a pair. And even the design is questionable, since Luvdisc is a heart and Alomomola is an ocean sunfish, and those only bear passing resemblance to hearts by coincidence. Other things to note include the questions above and any pairs marked with a question mark - do Taillow and Wingull constitute a pair? How about Gothita and Solosis? What do we do with Tyrogue's line?

These all need to be sorted out before tomorrow, but here's at least a crack at it.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations to all the recent shiny Pokemon!

I am 120 eggs in to my Shuppet hunt. Now that my assignment is in, I am going to concentrate a little more on it and my various hunts (Mostly Shuppet, but also SR'ing for Snorlax on HG, Kyurem on Black, Charmander on LG, Volcarona on B2 and perhaps Regigigas on Platinum!)

Am I right in thinking that a badge quest is basically when you start the game and have to get a shiny before you defeat each badge? Sounds fun, I may try it on Pearl sometime!

Definitely patience is important. The method I take (although I haven't done it in X/Y yet, so it may be more difficult) is to collect four eggs at a time, and every time a new one is available, I pick it up and put it in the PC. I find that to be best because you can collect and hatch at the same time, and if you hatch a shiny, there won't be so many eggs to finish off hatching. Also, make sure the only Pokemon in your party is one with Flame Body or Magma Armour.

:eek:

I didn't know that... I mean, I had heard about Flame Body and Magma Armour helping to hatch eggs, but I thought that was only when the Pokemon you have bread from had said ability. Thanks for the info! Good luck with Lugia! I hope to be hunting it after Snorlax decides to play shiny...

EDIT: In Valen's name... I just hatched my second egg of the day, and look who appears! (Not sure how I make the photo appear on the thread rather then as a link...)

Can't quite believe it! My first breed shiny, yay! :)

Now, what to breed next...

Last edited:

ArdhiS

congratulation to everyone who get shinies since my last post :)
I have shiny news to updates here :D
on 17 i caught shiny tropius on friend safari
on 18 i hatched shiny amaura after 374 eggs
on 19 i caught shiny sliggoo on friend safari
on 20 i caught shiny rattata on black2 after 1500 RE
on 22 i caught shiny jigglipuff on friend safari
on 23 i caught shiny dugtrio on friend safari
on 24 i caught shiny vullaby on friend safari
on 28 i caught shiny chansey on friend safari
on 29 i caught shiny teddiursa on friend safari
on 30 i caught shiny ariados, and today i caught another shiny ninetales :D but now she has drought as her ability

so yeah 20 shinies on this month :D :) such a blessing month :D
Good luck to everyone hunts, may the shiny be with you :) ;)
http://imageshack.com/a/img37/970/u2k3.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img707/5864/kpvr.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img844/8158/kfhw.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img30/52/8npz.jpg

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Given the number of broad hunts we've done lately, I'd suggest picking 5 friendship evos and 5 pairs.
The ones I would select are:
Chansey (Blissey), Cleffa (Clefairy), Igglybuff (Jigglypuff), Budew (Roselia) and Woobat (Swoobat)
Nidoran♀-Nidoran♂, Tauros-Miltank, Plusle-Minun, Volbeat-Illumise, and Rufflett-Vullaby.

Of course, if I'm outvoted on that, I'll post the complete list everyone comes up with.
Speaking of which, Jynx-Mr. Mime always felt like they should be a pair.

Also, for March I'd like to go with a grab bag scenario provided there is no strong opposition to such an idea.
Two families from each gen would be selected, giving us a dozen target families to hunt.