• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

benjamon1111

Shiny Hunter
I am too lazy to keep on trying to shiny hunt. I have tried mainly all the methods and all of them take patience and I don't have any. Right now I don't care what type or what pokemon I just want a shiny pokemon I'm even fine with magikarp for pete-sake. I have been trying the consecutive fishing and have been getting decent chains but then i got distracted and reeled in to slow I almost threw my ds at the wall when I was at a chain of 49. I'm very short tempered. Anyway, the whole point of this post was just to ask people if I should keep on trying and what method is better to use. (I'm also posting this to make friends :'( ) So I hope you guys respond and most likely put me down. jk. okay baiiiiiiii :3. (My friend code is 0817-4180-2046. *^*)

Consecutive Fishing is the best way to go. I usually go to a quiet place and use headphones so I don't get distracted. To cheer you up let me tell you the story of my shiny alomomola. So I was working on my pokedex, and I needed to catch both alomomola and lanturn. I went to Shalour city and pulled out the super rod.
1st Hook: Alomomola. Since I needed it in my pokedex, I caught it.
2nd Hook: Shiny Alomomola. A chain of 2! Anyway, just keep trying that consecutive fishing!

---

I decided to start my Y badge quest. I have about 500 soft resets on the starters so far. Hope I'll get lucky soon!

---

Congratulations on everyone who recently got a shiny, and good luck to those hunting!

Last edited:

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Just training some Pokemon in Victory Road, when a shiny Zweilous pops up! They're pretty rare already so to suddenly find a shiny was surprising, I wasn't even paying attention and only noticed it because of the sound. It's a very nice looking green and purple. That makes shiny number twenty in my X version, insanity.

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
I was traded a shiny Zoroark today. I'm very pleased because that was one of my most wanted shiny Pokémon

Stefan21

French IV Breeder
Hi guys,

Do you need a Pokémon from an other country to do Masuda Method ? I mean a good one, with 5 or 6 IVs and the good nature? I can help you! I'm French, that's why I use strange phrases and I do a lot of mistakes (sorry about that).

I suggest you do the Pokémon of your choice with the french nationality, if you provide me the parents who allow to do it. They must have the same characteristics as the Pokémon you want. Which mean 5 or 6 IVs, good nature, HA, Egg moves ...
I won't accept too difficult request, for exemple for a 6 IVs any other requirement that nature will be accepted.

What do I get in this trade? Parents! Make sure you have others to match the one I send.
If you are interested, send me a PM ;) .

EDIT : Wrong thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Squirtle_Master on Charmander, Duckzorz on Gastly, PhazonRain429 on Goomy, PKMaster2 on Beldum, TheFonz on Gastly, jrmftw on Cyndaquil, Crimson Penguin on Totodile, The Benmiester on Zweilous, and everyone else!

Does anyone know, if I put an english game into japanese, will the Pokemon count as foreign Pokemon and work for the MM? I'd much rather be able to get both of the parents myself than having to rely on the GTS for them.

I was confused about this also, but apparently the Masuda Method is language based, not region based like I thought, so it should work. Good luck :]

------------------------

600 eggs down for Fletchling and nothing yet. Seems like I'm looking at yet another over-the-odds MM hunt =T I just got done filling up 10 boxes of eggs, so I got a lot of hatching to do. There better be a shiny Gale Wings Fletchling in there!

Good luck everyone!

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I was confused about this also, but apparently the Masuda Method is language based, not region based like I thought, so it should work. Good luck :]

------------------------

600 eggs down for Fletchling and nothing yet. Seems like I'm looking at yet another over-the-odds MM hunt =T I just got done filling up 10 boxes of eggs, so I got a lot of hatching to do. There better be a shiny Gale Wings Fletchling in there!

Good luck everyone!

Awesome, thanks. Too bad I have to wait for PokeBank to come out before I can get japanese parents because I only have 1 3DS. Good luck in your Fletchling hunt :)

On my 251st egg I hatched a shiny Buneary. She's so cute. She's Jolly with Run Away as her ability (which I'll probably switch to Klutz when I can) and she has Encore, Switcheroo, Ice Punch and Fire Punch as egg moves. Her IVs are 31/31/31/26-27/31/18-19. A bit disappointed she didn't inherit the Speed IV (my third MM shiny out of 5 to not inherit it) but, unlike my shiny Sceptile's (which was 2) I can make use of it.

Looks like I completed the Community Hunt for the first time too :)

I managed to get a japanese Riolu with 31/31/31/31/X/31 IVs so my next MM hunt will be Lucario. Going to take awhile as getting a good IV female will probably take awhile.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, I really haven't posted here in a while huh? Well, I have news! Not Giratina news, but I got a BQ shiny elsewhere...

Yup, Shiny Rattata after a measly 3,202 REs(or 1,601 REs since I dual hunted on HGSS, and I went OCD and started each RE at the same time on both DSes...if you understand me!). I was hunting in Pinwheel Forest but I stopped because I got bored and I thought "hey, I've done REs in HGSS so I'll have a better chance at a shiny there". That isn't true at all, but I hunted there and only 52 REs later, it shone! I gasped in shock, before freaking out a little, and then I managed to toss a Premier Ball at it...which caught it! Unfortunately, the nature is shockingly bad, but it's a wonderful shiny anyways. Here's extra pics:

At the moment, I'm moving forward in my Badge Quest and getting the 4th Badge...which I need for Surf, as my next hunt is Tentacool on Route 40!

Sooo, Giratina continues to elude me, as it is now at 25,340 SRs.

Congratulations to all recent shinies, and good luck to the rest of you!

Last edited:

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Well, I really haven't posted here in a while huh? Well, I have news! Not Giratina news, but I got a BQ shiny elsewhere...

Yup, Shiny Rattata after a measly 3,202 REs(or 1,601 REs since I dual hunted on HGSS, and I went OCD and started each RE at the same time on both DSes...if you understand me!). I was hunting in Pinwheel Forest but I stopped because I got bored and I thought "hey, I've done REs in HGSS so I'll have a better chance at a shiny there". That isn't true at all, but I hunted there and only 52 REs later, it shone! I gasped in shock, before freaking out a little, and then I managed to toss a Premier Ball at it...which caught it! Unfortunately, the nature is shockingly bad, but it's a wonderful shiny anyways. Here's extra pics:

At the moment, I'm moving forward in my Badge Quest and getting the 4th Badge...which I need for Surf, as my next hunt is Tentacool on Route 40!

Sooo, Giratina continues to elude me, as it is now at 25,340 SRs.

Congratulations to all recent shinies, and good luck to the rest of you!
Good luck on Giratina man! Its been so long you deserve the shiny more than anyone here.

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
WOOHOO!! I finally hatched a shiny Scatterbug, and she got Compound Eyes too! Terrible IVs, but I don't care. Finally going to start my Honedge hunt. Good luck and congrats all!

Kalosian

So long
Today I was breeding the second member of my post-game team in White 2, the one I was breeding is also one of my favorite Pokemon from 5th generation. And on the fourth egg, I got something I had never expected.

This made me very happy for a number of reasons. I am not a shiny hunter in any way, but this is rather special to me as it is my first random shiny on White 2 and my first ever random shiny hatched from an egg. While I have hatched lots of shinies through RNG breeding in the past, I have never hatched a random shiny before. I had the Shiny Charm while getting this, but I wasn’t using international parents. The Modest nature was from the parent Ditto which was holding an Everstone. Getting this on White 2 also means that Black 2 is the only 5th gen game where I haven’t met a random shiny yet. This is also my first random shiny since the Hippowdon I met in Pearl in October 2011.

Last edited:

*IZ*

Ladies and Gents, I just caught a shiny Frogadier. It has protean and is Lax nature. But I am not done yet. In still trying to get a shiny wortortle. Back to the same FS.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Hey guys, I haven't posted in this topic for ages. But I finally have something new to mention.

After 3329 soft resets my shiny Kyurem appeared in Black 2! ^_^ It's the first non 6th gen shiny I've caught since Pokemon X/Y came out. I really need to get back into hunting in my older games.

The shiny ice dragon cometh!

And yes, I do have a shiny charm in this game. Not that that seems to matter much anymore, what with how the odds have changed so much in X/Y...

Good luck everybody. Congrats on new shinies!

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
So I was EV training stuff for my competetive teams and I found a Shiny Bellsprout in a horde! It has a bashful Nature with Chlorofill as an ability and it's a victrebell now! Still thinking of a name... But this the 2nd "normal" shiny encounter rate (1/4096) that I have found besides a Gible I randomly found but accidentally Ko'd... luckily I have a Gible in B2 and a Gabite in Y, so I wasn't too heartbroken. And I guess I can say for the first time: COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Squirtle_Master on Charmander, Duckzorz on Gastly, PhazonRain429 on Goomy, PKMaster2 on Beldum, TheFonz on Gastly, jrmftw on Cyndaquil, Crimson Penguin on Totodile, The Benmiester on Zweilous, Aqua on Rattata, and Heliotrope on Kyurem.

I've been seeing a lot of familiar friends around here and that's good I missed all of you. Well as for my Kabuto hunt I'm now at almost 17,000 SRs its my new longest hunt passing my Moltres @ 16076 SRs. hopefully it doesn't take to much longer to shine because I really want to see that green on it it looks quite good on Serebii.

Good luck on fletchling Supremacy hopefully it doesn't take to much longer

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Gratz to Squirtle_Master on Charmander, Duckzorz on Gastly, PhazonRain429 on Goomy, PKMaster2 on Beldum, TheFonz on Gastly, jrmftw on Cyndaquil, Crimson Penguin on Totodile, The Benmiester on Zweilous, Aqua on Rattata, and Heliotrope on Kyurem.

I've been seeing a lot of familiar friends around here and that's good I missed all of you. Well as for my Kabuto hunt I'm now at almost 17,000 SRs its my new longest hunt passing my Moltres @ 16076 SRs. hopefully it doesn't take to much longer to shine because I really want to see that green on it it looks quite good on Serebii.

Good luck on fletchling Supremacy hopefully it doesn't take to much longer

Thanks for the congrats.

Good luck with shiny Kabuto. That's a pretty long hunt. My shiny Kabuto in Fire Red only took 6866 soft resets to appear. Though my shiny Omanyte in Leaf Green did take 18,467 soft resets... What game are you hunting for it in?

I'm also still hunting my shiny Amaura in X. Currently at 3396 SR for it.

Scrufox86

Wow well I have been a little busy for the last week and it has been a while since my last shiny but I come back with a double whammy! Right so when I was last here I had three types of safari to get at least one shiny from which were: Ground, Electric and Flying. Well I am going for Ground for a third time as my previous two times I hunted for so long and found no shiny and after just 15 minutes! a shiny Dugtrio appeared! I was hoping for Trapinch really but oh well I just wanted the ground shiny to then move on. And so I enter Electric with Pikachu, Dedenne and Zebstrika. I was in there for 40 minutes and a shiny Dedenne appeared! I actually like its shiny colours as it is different and not just a slight change of shading. Ok so I have one type of safari remaining and I have Spearow, Swanna or Hawlucha to appear shiny and I would really like Hawlucha but any of the three will do.

Congratulations to all shinies gotten since my last post and good luck to everyone!

ElitheProphet

I caught three shiny Braixen in the Safari in the space of two days.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Good luck with that Amaura!

I'm hunting for Kabuto in Platinum I got Omanyte after only 1528 SRs and now I'm suffering the wrath of Kabuto just about 17,000 SRs. I don't mind the wait I just hope it isn't terrible and that it will be worth the wait. Thanks for the motivation and its good to see you again~

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
oh YES, FINALLY

A Shiny Froakie that has Protean instead of Torrent appeared in egg #1385 :D

My first Shiny Froakie appeared in egg #797, but it has Torrent.....so I continue the MM. And now I have a Protean one :D

[IMG139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/shinywhitefrog_zps874fb900.jpg[/IMG139]

My next target is.......Tyrunt, since Flabebe and Furfrou aren't in this month's CH lol

Anyway, congrats for those who just recently obtained new shiny, and good luck for those who haven't :)

....also, I just noticed something in the CH list:

- Why, for Eevee, it's only Leafeon and Glaceon? Umbreon and Espeon are a pair too.....

- I doubt Lillipup and Purrloin are meant to be a pair. One has two evolution stages, the other only one. They're not version exclusive either. I think it's just a coincidence that we have a dog and a cat on the same regional Dex.

Dangertrout

....also, I just noticed something in the CH list:

- Why, for Eevee, it's only Leafeon and Glaceon? Umbreon and Espeon are a pair too.....

- I doubt Lillipup and Purrloin are meant to be a pair. One has two evolution stages, the other only one. They're not version exclusive either. I think it's just a coincidence that we have a dog and a cat on the same regional Dex.

well you see, I meant to go through the list and make a few changes and additions.....
but I've been sick all month and ran out of time to get it done so I just posted the original list that someone was kind enough to throw together in the first place
I could edit the list, but I don't want to penalize anyone who started hunts based on what's there...