• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations to all the new shiny Pokemon! :)

I have decided what to do next in my shiny hunt. From now on, I am going to concentrate on getting a shiny of every Ghost in the game (End-evolutions first, and if I am still up to it, one of each Ghost evolution). My current goal is Golurk, of which I am six eggs in. It is a cool looking Pokemon, and will be a good addition to my team.

May I ask two questions? Firstly, dose the Friend Safari give much of an increased chance of getting a shiny? I met my shiny Chandelure there, so I am assuming it dose, but I am not sure by just how much. I have a friend with Golurk and a few other Ghost-types there, so I wasn't sure whether to try farming there instead of MM'ing for a while. Secondly, is there a way to influence what gender a Pokemon is going to be after they hatch? I want to get a shiny Froslass one day, but it seems I would need to hatch a female Snorunt to do so.

Sorry for the bother! Good luck to us all!

Meanwhile, I've just filled up my box again for the fourth time at egg #3,000 for Shuppet.

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling to find it, but please don't dont give up yet. I am sure you will get one soon! :)

EmeraldPhoenix

Shiny Hunter
I've been working on my National dex for the shiny charm and I'm making some progress finally! I managed to get a non-Kalos native legendary from gts and proceeded to trade through a few more legendary, so I've knocked about 6 or so off of my list. I was trying to wait until bank came out but I'm getting a little impatient with them, so I decided to take to the GTS and hunt down the rest I need. I know I won't get to 718 without help from here, but I can probably get all of the ones I actually need, since the event legendaries don't count.

Well since Phantump is on the CH list, I think I'll just stick with that hunt! I was gonna wait and see what was decided and lo and behold it's right there at the end, lol. IF I can manage to get it, I think I might do a safari hunt for Tropius. Honestly I just want this hunt to be done with. I want it, but I'm tired of hatching Phantump, lol. My last two hunts were ghost types as well, so I want to branch out.

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
So today I decided I was going to go for a badgequest on HG while SR'ing for Latias and Kyruem (3 ds's ftw) and holy crap after around 100 or less resets only around 20 on a new file i started...

SHINY CHIKORITA APPEARS! TOTALLY RANDOM!!
its IVs are kinda all over the place
4/30/4/11/30/4
So BADGEQUEST pokemon #1 COMPLETE! So happy right now!

MDS777

The name's Riley
I've got shiny news, but it isn't Shuppet. I decided to take a little break from Shuppet (just a couple of hours) to fill up my Pokedex for the Oval Charm (yeah, I still don't have it), and I came across a random shiny Bellsprout in a horde.
5SVHtD6.jpg

ynJd9QH.jpg

It's Quirky nature. Now back to my MM hunt on Shuppet lol.

Edit: Apparently Bellsprout is part of a pair. So Community Hunt complete! lol

Thanks for the support, guys. It means a lot. :)

Last edited:

elorasheppard

Congrats to GildedScizor, CPChris (yay :)) FairyWitch, Tsukoyumi56, yoshi007, shinymisty, sdotj, Gligari, CimsonBlazer and Multidarkshadow777 on your recent shiny success.

No new shiny news for me (February is drought month apparently!) but I have transferred my pokedex and shinies over through bank so everythings on 6th gen now yay :) Im hoping that now I can just get on and get some good shinies this month. Im at 300 eggs for skiddo, and Im trying out some nidoran hordes on Y. I get four male nidoran and one female nidoran always in the horde, is it the opposite in X?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I am having no luck with snake pokemon >.< My ekans MM is up to 1,760 eggs, and I still have three boxes to hatch. My seviper horde hunt phase 4 is now the longest horde hunt I have done so far (previous record was whismur at 1,816 hordes). I'm now at 1,900 hordes since that taillow showed up, still looking for a seviper. I am so looking forward to finally finishing it. Then I can say goodbye to route 8 until I get the good fishing rod.

GrayFire503

Advanced Breeder
So late last night I decided that I wasn't really that tired so I pull out my dsi xl and start doing some soft resets after watching 4 minutes into a video I get something that puts me into shock. I encountered my FIRST shiny legendary Regirock. Since I was completely caught by surprised I threw a master ball because I had no Pokemon to weaken it. RockyRoad has a bold nature and is Highly persistent. No perfect ivs but I'm alright with that since this is one if not my favorite legendary. I like to shout out to Gligari for getting a shiny chickorita around the same time I got Regirock. I don't know what I should go for next in black 2 go back for registeel or terakion? Happy Shiny Hunting.

;377;

Neji-and-Pidgeot

After 813 encounters in the FS I encountered a shiny male modest braixen with magician. I think I will move to a different safari and continue.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I just hatched a shiny Riolu after 16 eggs. I have mixed feelings about it as it's my fourth hatched shiny to fail to inherit the speed IV that BOTH parents have. Its IV is either 16 or 17 which isn't usable IMO. I'm really tired of this happening and it really puts me off shiny hunting. Going to try for another one to see if I can get the speed IV this time.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz FairyWitch on Swirlix, Tsukuyomi56 on Volbeat, yoshi007 on Kyurem, KzBreakdown on Zigzagoon, ShinyMisty on Gastly, Gligar on Chikorita, Greedy Chibi on Riolu, and everyone else!

May I ask two questions? Firstly, dose the Friend Safari give much of an increased chance of getting a shiny? I met my shiny Chandelure there, so I am assuming it dose, but I am not sure by just how much. I have a friend with Golurk and a few other Ghost-types there, so I wasn't sure whether to try farming there instead of MM'ing for a while. Secondly, is there a way to influence what gender a Pokemon is going to be after they hatch? I want to get a shiny Froslass one day, but it seems I would need to hatch a female Snorunt to do so.

Yes, the Friend Safari has an increased rate. According to the first page, the odds of finding a shiny there is 1/512. So if you want easy shinies then that's the place to go.

Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I just hatched a shiny Riolu after 16 eggs. I have mixed feelings about it as it's my fourth hatched shiny to fail to inherit the speed IV that BOTH parents have. Its IV is either 16 or 17 which isn't usable IMO. I'm really tired of this happening and it really puts me off shiny hunting. Going to try for another one to see if I can get the speed IV this time.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts.

Yea it sucks that the IVs didn't turn out well, but look on the bright side, it only took you 16 EGGS! Things don't always turn out the way we want, especially when going for shinies with specific IVs, abilities, etc, but if you really want it, you just gotta tough it out. Good luck. :]

------------------------------------

Well Fletchling is still being stubborn, I still have 3 boxes left to hatch so there's still a chance a shiny one is in there *fingers crossed* I'm also still REing in the Safari Zone; haven't really put that much time into it so its taking awhile, but I'm sticking to it.

Good luck everyone!

CallMyName

hi all ^^ after getting my shiny charm today i go to fire safari ^^ within 20 encounter i got myself a shiny larvesta :D catching it now post stat and pic later ^^

edited
it is female modest max iv in atk/spatk and speed ^^ so happy right now been really down since the last time a shiny kirlia use teleport :D

Last edited:

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Last night I was breeding some pokes for the sake of my pokedex and a shiny Trapinch popped on the screen. Now that was a nice surprise. ^^

JohnNiles

Well, now that Pokebank has been released, I'm going to start arranging and transferring my legendaries. I hadn't planned on getting the shiny charm, but I am up to about 5000(?) eggs hatched, switching targets repeatedly, and I haven't hatched a shiny since Dec. 19. I am frustrated and getting ready to drop Pokemon in favor of the games being released this month.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to FairyWitch on Swirlix, Tsukuyomi56 on Volbeat, yoshi007 on Kyurem, Shiny Misty on Gastly, Gligari on Chikorita, GrayFire503 on Regirock, Greedy Chibi on Riolu, 2rsa on Trapinch, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Supremacy and elorasheppard :)

---------

I am so jealous. I've been at my own hunt for a couple days, but can't seem to stay motivated to focus on it. I keep getting distracted by other hunts >.< How do you manage to stay with these BQs?

I guess part of it is I’m just stubborn :p I don’t want to let a hunt get the better of me, so I just keep going. Plus, they’re pokemon I really want regardless. And the idea of making an all-shiny team with pokemon/shinies I like as I play through the game, as if this particular group of shinies is in its own separate class in my shiny collection, is just so appealing to me that it’s very motivating.

I’ve seen several people say they get sick of doing BQs after the first few gyms, but for me, I’m still just hunting pokemon I’d be going after even if I wasn’t doing a BQ (just maybe in a different order), so I don’t see a reason why not to do a BQ as I go about my hunts.

When I was first considering buying Platinum, it was just so I could have access to some Pokemon I really like. And I wanted them as shinies. Then I figured as long as I was going to hunt a handful of them anyways, why not just try a BQ? All it really meant was I would take the hunts I was going to do and declare that each of those hunts would be part of an overall larger hunt.

Plus, there’s always Youtube and Netflix, so I can just watch stuff whenever I start getting tired of watching my hunts. If a hunt starts to get annoyingly long, I’ll just switch my attention over to a TV show :p

I guess the big thing in your case is where the BQ hunt is on your hunting priorities :x Maybe work on your other hunts that are distracting you and then just do a 100-200 REs on the BQ each day or every other day (or whenever you hunt). That way you can work on your BQ but still focus on other hunts? Obviously you’ll know what works best for you :p

Sorry, I never seem to be short and concise with things >.<

---------

So I realized a few hours after finding Pidgey…Last night, I happened to look at a clock at 11:11, so I made a wish to find a shiny (among other things – I’m greedy :) ). I figure it can’t hurt, it just makes me a bit of a fool, but I’ll trade my pride and dignity for shinies ;p And then a couple hours after that, I think I saw a shooting star…I wasn’t sure if it was that, or if I was just so tired I was imagining things. But I made another wish to find a shiny the next day. Just superstition, but kind of neat still since I don’t usually do that (much less even see a shooting star…Not that I understand how a chunk of rock hurtling through the atmosphere brings luck).

---------

My shiny Pidgey is now an awesome shiny Pidgeot :) Who, after getting my 5th gym badge, can now fly me places instead of having to bike everywhere! She’s now level 43 like the rest of my BQ team.

Next hunt is going to be for Poliwag/Poliwhirl. I’m surfing for it on Route 31. This will be my first surfing hunt, too. I plan on leaving it as a Poliwhirl once I find it. It’s a nice blue, and I like Poliwhirl more than Poliwrath or Politoed…If I were to evolve it past Poliwhirl though, I think I’d go with Poliwrath. I’d also really prefer a male, though in a strange way I can kind of see it as female, too.

I also think I’m going to keep hunting in Ilex Forest at night, hoping for Oddish (preferably a female first).With Pidgey, I was sort of obligated to hunt there at night, since Pidgey isn’t available at that time, but even so, I do want a shiny Oddish and a shiny Bellossom, so I sort of have to take advantage of the night time.

Last night, I did another 400 REs after Pidgey (600 REs on Black 2), and 800 SRs for Giratina.

-----------

OMG. I can hardly believe it! So I’m watching videos of shiny Poliwags on HeartGold, and I’m watching one of my own encounters, and I’m just looking at it once it’s more visible thinking, “Isn’t that…lighter…?” AND THEN IT SPARKLES. I was so shocked, and holy adrenaline…So this shone after just 639 REs since my Pidgey (looks like HeartGold just made up for the only long hunt it’s given me so far), and on my 239th RE of the day.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/1LjMeez.jpg[/IMG200]

It’s female, but that’s fine. Brave nature (just like Pidgeot, who I was leading with…Secret sync ability?!) and Proud of its power. Water Absorb as its ability. Probably would have preferred Damp simply for shiny hunting purposes. Kind of too bad about the speed though, since I really need to be able to outspeed targets, but I’ll just have to overlevel her :p

She also seems to have a 25 Attack IV as well as 20 Speed, though she’s likely going to stay as a Poliwhirl, but at least those will help her be as good as she can be :p

Not sure how I want to train her right now…Kind of tempted to train her in Sp. Def so that she can take Ho-Oh’s extrasensories better. Yeah, I might do that, along with Speed…Maybe I’ll throw in some Def, too.

Also, I didn’t get a chance to post this yet, but Here’s the video for my live shiny Pidgey! Now I’ll have to work on uploading that shiny Poliwag sometime today :p

Oh, and this is yet another one that counts for the CH, so Community Hunt Complete x2!

Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: Oh, and I also just remembered...About the wishing thing I mentioned near the top of this post...Yesterday I was thinking how that wish I made on the shooting star was technically made in the early morning...So when I wished to find one "tomorrow", that would technically be today and not yesterday :p

Reactions: LLR

ShadowRadon

Shiny Hunter
Oh My God...
Snivy Snivy on My Black Version!!!!!!
After on 556 SRs
In total shock right now... Looks so amazing <3333

Pluski

Wow. Earlier today I got a shiny Unown in a Wonder Trade. It feels too good to be true, so if it actually is legit, I must be really lucky. Unown is after all an extremely hard shiny to get due to the fact that it cannot be bred or found in any game that has the shiny charm...

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
ZoMG! Pokebank~

I will show photos of my Shinies when I get back from my Doctor's appointment. *smiles softly* I missed them so much~

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to FairyWitch on Swirlix, Tsukuyomi56 on Volbeat, yoshi007 on Kyurem, Shiny Misty on Gastly, Gligari on Chikorita, GrayFire503 on Regirock, Greedy Chibi on Riolu, 2rsa on Trapinch, and everyone else on your shinies!

OMG. I can hardly believe it! So I’m watching videos of shiny Poliwags on HeartGold, and I’m watching one of my own encounters, and I’m just looking at it once it’s more visible thinking, “Isn’t that…lighter…?” AND THEN IT SPARKLES. I was so shocked, and holy adrenaline…So this shone after just 639 REs since my Pidgey (looks like HeartGold just made up for the only long hunt it’s given me so far), and on my 239th RE of the day.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/1LjMeez.jpg[/IMG200]

It’s female, but that’s fine. Brave nature (just like Pidgeot, who I was leading with…Secret sync ability?!) and Proud of its power. Water Absorb as its ability. Probably would have preferred Damp simply for shiny hunting purposes. Kind of too bad about the speed though, since I really need to be able to outspeed targets, but I’ll just have to overlevel her :p

She also seems to have a 25 Attack IV as well as 20 Speed, though she’s likely going to stay as a Poliwhirl, but at least those will help her be as good as she can be :p

Not sure how I want to train her right now…Kind of tempted to train her in Sp. Def so that she can take Ho-Oh’s extrasensories better. Yeah, I might do that, along with Speed…Maybe I’ll throw in some Def, too.

Also, I didn’t get a chance to post this yet, but Here’s the video for my live shiny Pidgey! Now I’ll have to work on uploading that shiny Poliwag sometime today :p

Oh, and this is yet another one that counts for the CH, so Community Hunt Complete x2!
Thanks! Congrats on your badge quest it looks like its going nicely, and are you getting ho-oh for your 8th badge? Does it count for it?

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Well I got some shiny news. First on saturday I got a shiny Carvanha through CF and on Sunday I got a shiny Fletchling chaining. Last but certainly not least is shiny freaking Oshawott in 1298 SRs in B2, this hunt was close to the point to which I was going to take a break. I could not stop smileing and when ever I sent it out I just started giggling. I am now hunting in the dark grass on Route 20, hopeing for Venipede. I have a Watchog with me so that I can do double battles and have Hypnosis and Super fang, of course my Oshawott is now a Dewott as well. Thanks to Cpchris for your encouragement and Congrats on getting Pidgey and Poliwag. I think the thing that will keep me going on my hunt in HG is the fact that I going to three different places now. So I'm going to keep going especailly since the number is above lost Caterpie and I have not lost anything, so I'm gonna keep truckin' until I find something. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.