• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Sealotic

Soooo, it has been long since I've posted here ! Here are the little news on my side...

First, I manage to get my Shiny Charm, a little bit of breeding only was necessary and a little bit of help of my friend The Prince Of May. Now I can restart to hunt in my Friend Safaris and continue my Feebas MM which I have hatch 300 eggs ! I must clean my PC before I do this because it's actually a mess and I can't bare it. I have a little project to put all that in order in the Bank to make easier the future Shiny Charm I will want to get (in future games or in pokemon Y I think I'll buy, to Maybe BQ, who knows!) So, more in the shiny news, since I've posted, I've fond a Shiny Braixen in a friend safari, where I was looking for Larvesta. I also got a Shiny Mew from a good friend : I got it to fill theugly holes of my dex, it doesn't worth as much as...(If only I had SR successfully...) I transfered all my Shinies from W2 and Pearl and I'm planning to evolve them. And finally, I just caught a Shiny Growlithe in the same Safari (the one with Larvesta and Braixen). I'm looking for a safari with Ponyta, Larvesta and Ninetales to continue this hunt and do not repeat my shinies ! Now, I'm RE in a Dark friend safari with Absol, Crawdaunt and Pawniard. I love Absol and Pawniard/Bisharp's shiny form and I want to reclaim a Shiny Crawdaunt I couldn't catch in a rom hack, I think it was... I can't remember...

So, that was it, a long post !
Good luck with your hunts guys !

Slushie

Requiescat en pace.
Well I just finished hatching egg 345 for Goomy. Been hatching all today while watching movies so I overhauled atleast 120 eggs today, considering I started this Monday I feel like I have done a lot with this little fellow... Just waiting for Goomy to shine. I'd rather this not be an unlucky long hunt.

On another note, I was playing thru my Soul Silver again. While on my to see Professor Elm and show him the hatched Togepi, I encountered a shiny Hoothoot. So there's that..

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
I have a question, I know it says it on the rules to not ask about rates, but it is not on here.
Does breeding with a shiny Jap. Ditto affect breeding a normal Roggenrola (Eng.) Disregarding Masuda Method? Cause i have one here and was curious.
EDIT: I meant does having a shiny ditto increase the chance of it, disregarding MM.
Man, i messed up.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Hmmm, I had been hoping to post the 5 friend safari shinies today, but my game is being uncooperative.
So far I've found two shiny Tranquils. Both are female with their hidden abilities.
The first was at 236 encounters, which is cool.
The second was at 549 encounters, which I think is somewhere around the odds without the shiny charm, so a little disappointed.
Plus, I already had a tranquil and a female one at that.

Anyways, I'm still working on the third friend safari shiny in this quest.
I'm at 759 encounters.
At some point I actually stopped to look in my bag to make sure the charm is in there, and it is.
So I dont know what the deal is. Guess this game doesn't like me >.<
Ah well, maybe the next couple hunts will be as short as the ones I've been seeing lately to make up for it :p

edit - jap ditto + eng roggenrola will trigger masuda method

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Drakonekoshi on Tangela, dark1raven3 on Beldum, RocketToTheMoon on Gothorita, RaichuArcanine on Oshawott, Mr. Shinx on Fennekin, imeGe on Eevee, Supremacy on Swirlix, Ivoright on Cranidos, varanus_komodoensis on Dratini, Cyberra on Ekans and Staravia, ClipOwl on Mawile, eiger on Charmander, shinyclauncher1234 on Treecko, Heliotrope on Chespin, maldoror on Tyrunt, mrpuffalos on Froakie, varanus_komodoensis on Helioptile, Slushie on Hoothoot, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ambri :)

------------

Good Arceus, why?
But anyone and their mum can get a shiny Gyarados from HG/SS.

Well it’s a nice orange-gold color! I’m neat even much of a fan at all of Magikarp, but it seems like a thrilling shiny to see come across the screen. And I don’t find any value in any freebie/guaranteed shinies =\ For me, having only an event Gyarados is like having no shiny Gyarados at all…Except for the fact that I *technically* do :x If other people enjoy it, good for them…But despite having a shiny Gyarados from both SS and HG, I still don’t consider myself as the owner of any shiny Gyarados.

------------

Also ready to restart SoulSilver now, thinking of attempting a legendary quest minus one of the beasts as they both get released at the same time and I really don't want to have to SR the Lance battle over and over just to rerelease the remaining beast, maybe I'll go for it if I ever get my hands on a copy of HeartGold (which would also allow me to try for Latias, Kyogre, and Rayquaza).

You could always start the game and right away go after the first beast. I think you only need to beat the first 3 gyms to get to it, so it wouldn’t really be that bad. Then reset the game and go after the other beast , and then the rest of the legendaries. Good luck with whatever you choose!

-------------

I’m not sure where to ask this stuff exactly (so if anyone knows where I should ask this to get better answers, please let me know!), so sorry that this isn’t necessarily shiny related. I just don’t really see any other area that these questions would be fit to ask.

Anyways…I’m still very worried about losing my shinies through file corruption or something like that. So I’m looking into purchasing something that can back up save files (such as the NDS Adapter Plus). Does anyone have experience with this, or something like this? Anyone else use it to help protect their own shinies? Does it work okay or does it risk messing up my game? Any warnings?

Also, another thing I was referred to was pokecheck. I tried using it on my White version (with no shinies on it in case my game somehow got messed up…I have no idea about these things). I tried it with a Kangaskhan and cloned one, though the clones come with Gift Ribbon01, I guess to let people know if a pokemon is cloned from Pokecheck. That seems like a good thing, but if my games ever bust, I don’t want my pokemon to have a gift ribbon on them :x

-------------

I did 600 SRs and 800 REs yesterday, and I did 600 SRs and 700 REs today. So Giratina is at 11,200 SRs, Growlithe is at 13,700 REs, and Rattata is at 4,600 REs. No luck like last week =\ Something will shine sooner or later :x

Good luck, everyone!

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
Hmmm, I had been hoping to post the 5 friend safari shinies today, but my game is being uncooperative.
So far I've found two shiny Tranquils. Both are female with their hidden abilities.
The first was at 236 encounters, which is cool.
The second was at 549 encounters, which I think is somewhere around the odds without the shiny charm, so a little disappointed.
Plus, I already had a tranquil and a female one at that.

Anyways, I'm still working on the third friend safari shiny in this quest.
I'm at 759 encounters.
At some point I actually stopped to look in my bag to make sure the charm is in there, and it is.
So I dont know what the deal is. Guess this game doesn't like me >.<
Ah well, maybe the next couple hunts will be as short as the ones I've been seeing lately to make up for it
You got a shiny charm? Must got friends at high places, then.
I guess im a lucky one, or i have an awesome ID: 35189.
I got a Shiny Quagsire in around 50 FS's and then a Shiny Frogadier in 100 encounters. Woke up my bro at 12 when I got it.
But good luck on your hunt, and happy MM'ing!

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Mr. Shinx on Fennekin, imeGe on Eevee, Supremacy on Swirlix, Ivoright on Cranidos, varanus_komodoensis on Dratini, Cyberra on Ekans and Staravia, ClipOwl on Mawile, eiger on Charmander, shinyclauncher1234 on Treecko, Heliotrope on Chespin, maldoror on Tyrunt, mrpuffalos on Froakie, varanus_komodoensis on Helioptile, Slushie on Hoothoot, and anyone I missed! Hello everyone! Deyna is now a Dewott, and I'll be keeping him at this stage as I dislike Shiny Samurott. I beat Clay, so my next hunt on this BQ is....Sandile! It's evo family is an example of shinies people either love or hate, and I'm the former. I put my Jolly Krookodile with an Everstone in with the same Japanese Ditto I used to hatch Deyna. I'm at 60 so far. I'll probably only really get decent time to hunt on the weekends, as TAFE is keeping me very busy. Good luck guys!
~RaichuArcanine~

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And I just lost my first shiny >< Was back to horde hunting on route 11 and a starly sparkles. Unfortunately, I did not know that the move swift hits *everything*, so when I tried to faint the non-shiny starly... You can guess what the outcome was >.< I'm going to keep counting up until something else shines instead of resetting the count. And next time I'll know which move not to use.

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Congrats to Drakonekoshi on Tangela, dark1raven3 on Beldum, RocketToTheMoon on Gothorita, RaichuArcanine on Oshawott, Mr. Shinx on Fennekin, imeGe on Eevee, Supremacy on Swirlix, Ivoright on Cranidos, varanus_komodoensis on Dratini, Cyberra on Ekans and Staravia, ClipOwl on Mawile, eiger on Charmander, shinyclauncher1234 on Treecko, Heliotrope on Chespin, maldoror on Tyrunt, mrpuffalos on Froakie, varanus_komodoensis on Helioptile, Slushie on Hoothoot, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ambri :)

------------

Well it’s a nice orange-gold color! I’m neat even much of a fan at all of Magikarp, but it seems like a thrilling shiny to see come across the screen. And I don’t find any value in any freebie/guaranteed shinies =\ For me, having only an event Gyarados is like having no shiny Gyarados at all…Except for the fact that I *technically* do :x If other people enjoy it, good for them…But despite having a shiny Gyarados from both SS and HG, I still don’t consider myself as the owner of any shiny Gyarados.

------------

You could always start the game and right away go after the first beast. I think you only need to beat the first 3 gyms to get to it, so it wouldn’t really be that bad. Then reset the game and go after the other beast , and then the rest of the legendaries. Good luck with whatever you choose!

-------------

I’m not sure where to ask this stuff exactly (so if anyone knows where I should ask this to get better answers, please let me know!), so sorry that this isn’t necessarily shiny related. I just don’t really see any other area that these questions would be fit to ask.

Anyways…I’m still very worried about losing my shinies through file corruption or something like that. So I’m looking into purchasing something that can back up save files (such as the NDS Adapter Plus). Does anyone have experience with this, or something like this? Anyone else use it to help protect their own shinies? Does it work okay or does it risk messing up my game? Any warnings?

Also, another thing I was referred to was pokecheck. I tried using it on my White version (with no shinies on it in case my game somehow got messed up…I have no idea about these things). I tried it with a Kangaskhan and cloned one, though the clones come with Gift Ribbon01, I guess to let people know if a pokemon is cloned from Pokecheck. That seems like a good thing, but if my games ever bust, I don’t want my pokemon to have a gift ribbon on them :x

-------------

I did 600 SRs and 800 REs yesterday, and I did 600 SRs and 700 REs today. So Giratina is at 11,200 SRs, Growlithe is at 13,700 REs, and Rattata is at 4,600 REs. No luck like last week =\ Something will shine sooner or later :x

Good luck, everyone!

As for backing things up, pokecheck does normally work. I've been using it to back up most of my shinies and it hasn't been too fussy with me. Also, for 6th gen, you can be almost certain with backing up shinies by just paying for Bank and doing so on time. You can leave your shinies there, and I'm sure they must have some sort of backup fail safe for it because if people lose lots of good pokemon because of it, they're going to have tons of angry people going after them.

sdotj

Started up a SR for mewtwo in heartgold. That is possible to get right? Still hunting for a shiny gale wings fletchling as well as neither FS or MM is producing anything.
Edit: Just found a shiny ponyta. Pretty.

Last edited:

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Congrats to Mr.Shinx (Good job hanging in there!), imaGe, Supremacy, Sito, Dangertrout, Ivoright, CallMyName, varanus_komodoensis, Cyberra, ShinyMisty, Samus_Aran, EsotericHeart, ClipOwl, Ho-Oh the Rainbow Pokemon, eiger, JoshRJV77, maldoror, shinyclauncher1234, Iwanuq, Gugulug5000, Helio, PokeAmi, searing light dragon, mrpuffalos, Pman11, Sealotic and Slushie on your newest shinies!

I'm not really feeling the Lati's but the rest of them are pretty awesome, especially Zygarde and Xerneas! I just hope one day we'll be able to hunt them. :[

I actually like the Lati colours a lot, since they are pretty similar to the regular mega colours in being a mix between the shiny forms of Latias and Latios :p. Then again I tend to like all the green shinies anyway, no matter what shade XD. I think the Xerneas image is only for its Neutral mode(?), so it's possible the Active mode would look have completely different antlers, like how Shiny Reshiram/ Zekrom have different flame/ electrical tail emissions.

And I just lost my first shiny >< Was back to horde hunting on route 11 and a starly sparkles. Unfortunately, I did not know that the move swift hits *everything*, so when I tried to faint the non-shiny starly... You can guess what the outcome was >.< I'm going to keep counting up until something else shines instead of resetting the count. And next time I'll know which move not to use.

Aah, sorry to hear that :(. On the Serebii Horde page, if you scroll to the bottom there's a list of all the moves that hit every target. Most of them are moves that work the same sort of way in Double/Triple battles. Just thought it might be helpful to look at:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/hordes.shtml

Well, I've hit 1000 eggs for Skrelp, making this my longest hunt on Y so far. I've already hatched 3 boxes worth of eggs today, but since I have a lot of free time I'm gonna try and get a few more done after I get something for lunch ><. I am feeling a teeny, tiny bit jealous of all the people getting super early MM hatches though XD.

Good luck everyone!

EmeraldPhoenix

Shiny Hunter
Well, my hunt in that Safari has come to a close for now. I decided that once I got a shiny from it I would go back to my Phantump hunt. This morning I got the urge to hunt so I did about 50 or so encounters and this little girl popped up. I knew from the moment I entered the safari it would be a Bibarel first instead of Frogadier or Floatzel, because I already have a Bidoof, lol. Timid Nature, so my sync worked... but the sync was meant for Frogadier, haha.

ec2476ef-776a-4121-a622-470a5faf10b7_zps7c83d974.jpg

So I'm back to hatching Phantump, and I'm about 15 away from hitting the 700 mark. I really hope it shines soon so I can MM for something else. I keep going for Ghosts in my MMs and once I realized that I got sorta tired of the little stump. I want it so bad but I'd rather hunt something else.

EDIT- and I'm so mad about this too. After all that time hunting... roughly 14 in-game hours in this safari... it wasn't even a Moody Bibarel. I wanted to troll my friends so badly with a moody one. :/

CallMyName

Today i take a break from MM and goes horde training and i found a shiny nidoran adamant rivalry only 1 max iv

Dangertrout

So, yesterday I tried to get 5 FS shinies with my shiny charm.
I posted about the first two already;
Tranquil at 236 encounters and Tranquil at 549.

The next shiny to appear was:
Shiny Doduo! (which is what I was after) at 1,003 encounters.
I'm surprised I had such a long hunt with the shiny charm, but that's how it goes.
The next two hunts were much shorter, thankfully.
Shiny Vivillon appeared at encounter 100. I was hoping for Volbeat there, but Vivillon is cute too. (I have Polar pattern)
Then the final shiny of the FS batch: Shiny Mightyena at 96 encounters ^_^
Again, not what I was hunting for but that's ok. (was hoping for Inkay)

So overall I think my FS hunts are shorter than before, which is nice.
Next I'll do some MMing and see how the egg counts fare.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.

...Oh my gosh...
I am sorry. *bows* I now know the feeling of losing a Shiny.

...I am right now in a "spend some time here. Spend some time there." I haven't stayed in one place yet.

Congrats to everyone on their shinies, especially ShinyMisty on Ivysaur and Cyberra on Ekans. YAY glad you two finally got your shinies!! Sorry for the loss on Starly, though, Cyberra. :/
Oh, thank-you very much. <3

I chose to Train Hope.
She is now beautiful~
Status Screen | Pokemon-Amie | Mega Evolution
Well...she doesn't have all the necessary moves on her yet...but her training is finished. :D In Sp. Defense, HP, and Attack (Sp. Attack was lowered)

Turkey is next!!
...Ehm...maybe after I feel a little better...*shivers* I am not feeling so well...

I also chose another future Pokemon to hunt for. Purrloin~ I just LOVE my Prankster Liepard, and a red one would work PERFECTLY along with the name (being Julian, who is Doctor Robotnik from Sonic Underground)
That being said...I will be breeding this one. I do not have a Liepard safari anymore. I am not complaining, I can try to get a perfect IVed Shiny this way (never did check Shadow the Gastly's IVs...ah well, it is my Girl friend's to begin with)

...This is going to be fun...because I am looking for a specific ability. I have pretty good luck...but not THIS good. xD
HOWEVER, I will be getting Pokemon Y soon (I want to say tomorrow.) I MIGHT be taking a while to hunt this one, being I will be playing through Y (as Eggman. ;3). Who knows, I might do some hatching or hunting on the side.
Pokemon Y will be my challenge file. Nuzlockes, Egg Scrambles, Wonderlockes, you name it. I might even do a Badge Quest with it, too. (I will not be soft resetting a starter, however)
We will see. *smiles*

As for my mother/sister...
My mother got a Shiny Toxicroak and shiny Audino. She also has a Pansage she is wanting to trade if any of you are intersted (self plug in?) My sister got a Shiny Krabby and...Floatzel while looking for a Frogadier. I wish her much luck. :3

Congratulations and good luck to everyone, I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Last edited:

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to everyone on their shinies, especially ShinyMisty on Ivysaur and Cyberra on Ekans. YAY glad you two finally got your shinies!! Sorry for the loss on Starly, though, Cyberra. :/

I took a good 24-36 hour break from playing Pokemon, and today I'll continue my MM hunt for a female shiny Ralts. Really hoping I don't get another male, but I just might get one knowing my luck. :s

Good luck to everyone still hunting! :)

Samus_Aran

Gardevoir Fanboy
Two more Shinies to report, another Shiny Gyarados, and a 4th Shiny Bibarel, this one with its HA Moody.

Last edited:

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Managed to run into my first RE shiny in my Y version, shiny mienfoo with hasty nature. What made it really sweet was the fact that i havent been putting any focus on shinies just my dex for shiny charm and i got lucky.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well, I'm at day 4 for Fennekin which is kinda weird since I feel like its been longer due to these annoyingly long SRs but I'm kinda getting used to it at this point. I still haven't started anything on my X version but I have decided to RE for shiny Dedenne on route 11 using static. I'll be starting this hunt later today, hopefully I don't get too many repeats.

Gratz everyone on the recent shinies and good luck! ;]