• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Illusione-Tempus

Congratulations to everyone with their shinies. Especially AquaRegisteel on his Giratina. That requires a lot of dedication. :D

And hope you'll find that Gligar soon, Scrufox86.

I really shouldn't be switching targets a lot lol. But right now I'm just circling one of the FS I have in search for Vivillons to be put up for trade. Plus, I've always wanted a shiny Vivillon, and I was still frustated when my Scatterbug chain abruptly ended back then. ;3;

It also contains Butterfree and Volbeat, so you can say I'm going to kill two birds in one stone as it'll be for the CH as well. xD

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

O.O

IT SHONE.

IT SHONE. Only a few hours ago after 25,570 SRs exactly. I actually still don't believe it! I was sitting there dual hunting whilst watching football, on Y and Platinum when I glanced up at the TV. I glanced back down at Y, before noticing my shiny Floatzel pop out of it's Poke Ball...but I gasped in shock when I noticed it was popping out in front of a BLUE AND SILVER GIRATINA.

I missed the sparkles, akin to Machop, but I still managed to see them anyways by chucking a ball at it and having it break out. I took the pics, then Master Balled Giratina...and after Cynthia and Cyrus argued, I saved like the madman I am. This meant I could finally do this after approximately 8 months:

Continuing on, I rushed to Sandgem Town to check the beauty out, who turned out to have a Quirky nature. I proceeded to take a sparkle pic, still ecstatic that Giratina had finally shone.

Now, this does mean that my Platinum BQ is finally COMPLETE after 1 year, 1 month and 4 days. At last. So, without further adieu, a quick reflection:

#1: Shiny Starly after 8,194 REs

This lovely starling shone on January 12th 2013 after 8,194 REs, which was over the odds already. This was around about the 5th time I went over the odds during the Badge Quest.

#2: Shiny Hoothoot after 4,926 REs / 8,952 Pokemon seen

I don't have a pic here unfortunately :(
But this shone on February 4th, not too long after Starly shone.

#3: Shiny Bronzor after 521 REs

No pics, again :/
Bronzor shone the quickest on this Badge Quest, only 521 REs.

#4: Shiny Buizel after 2,581 REs

I think I deleted all my pics barring the Giratina ones as they were taking up space.

But anyways, this little cutie shone after 2,581 REs.

#5: Shiny Roselia after 801 REs

This one was relatively quick, and it came after I was getting a bit sick of the BQ and when I was jumping around between Rotom and Route 212. I picked up the hunt again and this beauty showed up shortly afterwards.

#6: Shiny Floatzel after 10,373 REs

Floatzel was a bit of a pain in the backside, and was actually a shiny I wasn't willing to get, over Magnemite. I took it though and moved on, soon getting this:

#7: Shiny Swinub after 5,051 REs

Swinub shone after 5,051 REs, being rather easy compared to Floatzel. However, we all now know what I was to suffer next:

#8 Shiny Giratina after 25,670 SRs

Giratina shone today after a long-winded Badge Quest! It's a sight to behold! It took it's sweet time, but I don't mind anymore.

Platinum Badge Quest Complete!

I cannot thank you all enough! You have all been really inspirational for me whilst I was hunting this monster for the last 8 months or so, but it's done.
I am glad to finally have this! Thanks everyone, you've been awesome during this :)

Here's some more pics:

So, my good luck has payed off! Congratulations to all the recent shinies and a massive good luck to you all!

OMG MAJOR GRATZ!!! Lol I got so hype when I seen this! Glad you finally got it. :]

---------------

Well, Fennekin is still being stubborn. I'm now at day 7 and I've probably done around 3-4k SRs which doesn't seem like that much, but with these SRs.. >.<!

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

Gligari

Shiny Hunter

O.O

IT SHONE.

IT SHONE. Only a few hours ago after 25,570 SRs exactly. I actually still don't believe it! I was sitting there dual hunting whilst watching football, on Y and Platinum when I glanced up at the TV. I glanced back down at Y, before noticing my shiny Floatzel pop out of it's Poke Ball...but I gasped in shock when I noticed it was popping out in front of a BLUE AND SILVER GIRATINA.

I missed the sparkles, akin to Machop, but I still managed to see them anyways by chucking a ball at it and having it break out. I took the pics, then Master Balled Giratina...and after Cynthia and Cyrus argued, I saved like the madman I am. This meant I could finally do this after approximately 8 months:

Continuing on, I rushed to Sandgem Town to check the beauty out, who turned out to have a Quirky nature. I proceeded to take a sparkle pic, still ecstatic that Giratina had finally shone.

Now, this does mean that my Platinum BQ is finally COMPLETE after 1 year, 1 month and 4 days. At last. So, without further adieu, a quick reflection:

This lovely starling shone on January 12th 2013 after 8,194 REs, which was over the odds already. This was around about the 5th time I went over the odds during the Badge Quest.

I think I deleted all my pics barring the Giratina ones as they were taking up space.

This one was relatively quick, and it came after I was getting a bit sick of the BQ and when I was jumping around between Rotom and Route 212. I picked up the hunt again and this beauty showed up shortly afterwards.

Floatzel was a bit of a pain in the backside, and was actually a shiny I wasn't willing to get, over Magnemite. I took it though and moved on, soon getting this:

Swinub shone after 5,051 REs, being rather easy compared to Floatzel. However, we all now know what I was to suffer next:

Giratina shone today after a long-winded Badge Quest! It's a sight to behold! It took it's sweet time, but I don't mind anymore.

I cannot thank you all enough! You have all been really inspirational for me whilst I was hunting this monster for the last 8 months or so, but it's done.
I am glad to finally have this! Thanks everyone, you've been awesome during this :)

Here's some more pics:

So, my good luck has payed off! Congratulations to all the recent shinies and a massive good luck to you all!

I don't care if I have a short post CONGRADU-FREAKING-LATIONS. I've been rooting for you for a while.

killercloud

1000 eggs hatched and still no shiny Gastly :(

Congrats to everyone on recent shinies especially AquaRegisteel thats awesome.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.

O.O

IT SHONE.

Here's some more pics:

Oh my gosh!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! *claps like crazy* I was waiting to see you post "I caught him finally!" Then...YOU DID! :D I am so glad you finally got him, you don't understand. :,3
Congrats.

As for me, I have been felling a little down, so I spent some time in a Friend Safari with two Pokemon I wish to have Shiny, Minccino and Apom. Ditto is the third Pokemon (Remember, I got a Ditto with 6 IVs the other week). I am really not interested in having a Shiny Ditto.

I was joking with my Girlfriend and family "In before I encounter 3 Shiny Ditto before I get the two I want!"

...So, it is save to say I encountered a Shiny Ditto.

Encounter | Status Screen | Pokemon-Amie

I hit the home button JUST after the sparkles JUST in case it had Imposer. It didn't. He did have a Quick Powder on him, which is a 50% chance of having.

However...I am really not interested in having a Shiny Ditto. Most of the Shinies I get or hunt I do want to train in some way shape or form (the exception being Martin the Eevee and Remlit the Swirlix. (and the Gastly I hunted for my girlfriend)
So...I will be asking my mother, Sister, and Girlfriend if they are interested in the Ditto (my mother getting first priority). If none of them are interested, I'll put him up for trade.
HP and Defense is his strong point, I believe. I'll inform if he is up for dibs.

Never mind, yeah...I do believe it'll be up to dibs.

So guys, i know this is a little off topic, but when I get a shiny, how can i put it up? do i take a pic on another 3DS and somehow plop it on my documents? I'd love the help, as i am a newb to this.

Well, what I do is take a photo with my phone, and post them on Photobucket (then sending a link)

I do want to know how to post photos ON the page. I mean...I know how to post images, I am able to post images of Pokemon Sprites AND my banner.

--No no shiny since Ditto. Going to bed. xD

Congrats and good luck to everyone, and I hope you all have a FANTASTIC day~

Last edited:

dan2point5

Massive congrats AquaRegisteel on finally getting that shiny Giratina and completing your badge quest. Seeing you persevere with such a stubborn hunt is a real inspiration to all us fellow shiny hunters and I'm so glad you were rewarded after such a long tedious hunt. Seriously, congrats man!

Congrats to all other recent shinies too.

About 10 days ago I started dual hunting for Snivy on white and Turtwig on platinum. Haven't been keeping track of how many SR's but no luck yet. Haven't been able to hunt last 2 days cos I've been struck down with the norovirus which has knocked me well and truely for six but I hope to be back hunting again in the next couple of days.

Good luck everyone!

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat

O.O

IT SHONE.

Here's some more pics:

CONGRATULATIONS! =D
You absolutely deserve that Giratina, good job on persevering!

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
shinies I have so far are:
pokemon X:
mr. mime (nicknamed dr. mime originally caught as a mime jr. that I caught in a pokemon hoard)
weepinbell(currently loving pokemon hoards since they increase the odds of running into a shiny....even if it isn't by a lot)
gigalith (originated from black version nicknamed her darkcrystl)
numel (originated from sapphire version)
onix (got it from my older brother who got it in pokemon Y)
the event shiny sinnoh dragon trio (which I transferred over from white version)
other:
I've got about 4 sets I believe of the shiny event beast/dog/cat trio whatever you call them
and two other sets of the previously mentioned shiny dragon trio
plus the red gyarados (probably doesn't count since its the one you get in HGSS)

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
So guys, i know this is a little off topic, but when I get a shiny, how can i put it up? do i take a pic on another 3DS and somehow plop it on my documents? I'd love the help, as i am a newb to this.

The King of Ho-oh's

<---- Newest Shiny

O.O

IT SHONE.

Here's some more pics:

This is kind of what makes me a little sad that legend shiny lock, Friend Safari, and Shiny Charm exist. Very few hunters will be able to
experience what it's to complete such a long fantastic shiny hunt. I know what you're feeling right now. Congrats! You deserved
it. Enjoy the hell out of that. :D

Slushie

Requiescat en pace.
Took a 2 day break and resumed my hunt for shiny Goomy. Just hit 750 eggs and still no luck unfortunately.

And a big congratulations to AquaRegisteel, that is some insane perseverance to continue to try and get Giratina shiny. So I applaud you, hope you like your reward. :)

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies, especially AquaRegisteel on Giratina :)

No shiny news from me as I haven't been hunting the last few days. Still undecided on what I want to go for next. I transferred a Deino that has Earth Power and 31/X/X/31/X/31 IVs from my Japanese Black so I may try and get another shiny Hydreigon (keeping my old one on my Japanese White) but I'm not sure if I currently want to try for a target that takes a long time to hatch.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats on all the shinies recently, especially AquaRegisteel on Giratina! So happy for you!

I thought I would have more time to hunt this weekend (I get Monday and Tuesday off yay), but unfortunately the vast majority of my time is being taken up by studying for exams, so... no shinies to report as of yet. I did get up to 1000 REs on SoulSilver, and I started my Y BQ as well, so I'm up to 160 SRs for Fennekin so far. I knew SR'ing for starters in 6th gen was long, but wow... it really is LONG. Over 2 minutes per SR, and I'm entering my own nickname as well (really, did they have to include the nickname thing? Or at least give us better choices?), so it takes even longer than it probably needs to. I just hope entering my own nickname doesn't affect the chances of getting a shiny... I'm kind of paranoid about it since the only time I've seen anyone get Kalos starters was when they chose one of the default names. I really don't want to be called "Li'l C," though. Anyone know if it's still possible to get a shiny without picking the default names, or should I just suck it up and go with Shauna's little pet name? XD

Anyway, good luck to all of you on your hunts, and hopefully I'll be posting here a little more regularly after my exams are over... >_<

IndigoTribesman

Compassion Warrior
Hey all, congrats to all of the recent shinies especially AquaRegisteel's Giratina.

Ok, so I was trying to MM a 5-6 IV Charmander and I decided to take a break and run through a friend safari for a while.

Anyway, I caught this. http://imgur.com/vOwAfaF
My favourite shiny ever that I have wanted since Gen 3 and it has an Adamant nature, with perfect IV's in Attack and Defense. I was so buzzed and I am absolutely amazed that I got it.

Laurelai

First and foremost congrats to AquaRegisteel! What a huge, epic hunt!

Yesterday was my birthday, and I was pretty much convinced that I was going to find a shiny. I MMd, I FSd, I chain fished, I hoarded, I randomed, I even tried chaining with the pokeradar (which I have never gotten the hang of :p) Annnnnd- no birthday shiny for me. I'm getting a bit grumbly- 3000 eggs, and no shiny yet :p So! I decided to hit up the FS, and decided to try to choose one where a friend was online. Only friend on was Dangertrout, so there I went. Second encounter....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140216_233836_zps3f088266.jpg

And that unexpectedly makes CH COMPLETE!

yay!!

Here he is all grown up :)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140217_005349_zps5328e305.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Congrats Aqua on your shiny Giratina! Your dedication is incredible, and all your hard work has payed off. I'm happy for you!

I have hatched 240 Eevee eggs so far, and i'm about to fill up some more boxes tonight. If I can get this shiny Eevee under at least 500 eggs i'll be extremely happy, but if not oh well i'll just keep going. I'm not giving up!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to wingman32x on Shinx, Sito on Riolu, Shao-May on Furfrou, Phyroxzenoid on Abra, Supremacy on Dedenne, Quils on Cottonee, pokemaster13 on Tyrunt, Shine on Woobat, Arcamenel on Cottonee, Cyberra on Solrock, Keovix on Terrakion, Ampharos_Spark on Palkia, Drake Poketrainer on Inkay, Mr. Shinx on Zigzagoon, ArdhiS on both Furfrou, StrongBad456 on Treecko, Nerdboyiam on Mudkip, Manakete-Girl on Bergmite, ClipOwl on Vullaby, AquaRegisteel on Giratina, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

I knew SR'ing for starters in 6th gen was long, but wow... it really is LONG. Over 2 minutes per SR, and I'm entering my own nickname as well (really, did they have to include the nickname thing? Or at least give us better choices?), so it takes even longer than it probably needs to. I just hope entering my own nickname doesn't affect the chances of getting a shiny... I'm kind of paranoid about it since the only time I've seen anyone get Kalos starters was when they chose one of the default names. I really don't want to be called "Li'l C," though. Anyone know if it's still possible to get a shiny without picking the default names, or should I just suck it up and go with Shauna's little pet name? XD

Ugh, I abhor that nickname issue >:[ Seriously, GameFreak, we picked out the names we wanted in the beginning of the game, why would we want to pick something else 5 minutes in? And to waste so much time with it on a game that recognizes shinies/shiny hunting more than ever…I hate it and I’m not even SRing them x.X

Anyways, no, custom nicknaming shouldn’t really affect anything. Surely just no one else you’ve seen has had the ambition to do custom nicknaming on each SR. Good luck!

-----------

EDIT: I was informed by RaichuArcanine, Kirkeastment, and Supremacy of my stupidity, and that saving in front of it will keep it there as long as I don't leave :p So I guess all this stuff I posted in this spoiler is beyond pointless now ^^

Just saying, I rambled a lot o_O Basically, I might want to RE for Lapras in Platinum, and it’ll be a tough find and likely far worse in terms of duplicates than my Growlithe hunt, and possibly worse in terms of phases.
Once again, I was thinking much farther ahead than I currently am in my shiny hunting journey, and was thinking of future targets. One that’s been on my mind the last couple weeks is Lapras. I’ve always thought Lapras was a nice target, but one that seemed a little hard to obtain. I know it can be SRed for in SS/HG, but it’s also only there one day a week – and for whatever reason, I really don’t like to change the date/time on my systems, especially when shiny hunting.

However, there are a couple other options for me…One would be in Black 2, where I have a mere 5% chance of finding it in rippling water only…But there’s also a 10% chance to surf one up on Victory Road in Platinum. Sadly, the other pokemon aren’t ones I care about a whole lot – 60% Floatzel and 30% Dewgong.

Considering my hunt for Growlithe, I’ve found five 15% shinies so far in my 13 phases, and 3 of them were the first 3 phases of my hunt. So going from 15% down to 10% doesn’t really seem too unreasonable. However, unlike my Growlithe hunt, I can only squeeze two other pokemon out of it before duplicates start becoming useless since I can’t even get different evolutions out of them. But even so, I’m already on Phase 14 for Growlithe, so maybe my luck will work a little differently on a Lapras hunt. And if I can tough it out for 14(+?) phases on a 20% pokemon, surely I can tough out some phases for an even rarer shiny?

There’s also no repel trick at all for this – all 3 of the pokemon are levels 35-55.

The next problem would be, if I find a shiny Lapras, from levels 35-49, it will know Perish Song. And from level 43+, it will know Safeguard (can’t give it a status ailment for 5 turns). That means, from level 43-49, it will know both of those moves, making it a difficult catch if it uses both moves. As always, I’ll want to catch it in a Pokeball. So it looks very fail-prone…

*shrugs* Well, regardless, I still have at least several other hunts on Platinum before I’ll get to this one…Dialga, Palkia, Scyther, Ponyta, and possibly Psyduck, so I’ll have plenty of time to decide if I want to do it or not :x

-----------

I did 400 SRs and 500 REs yesterday, and I did the same thing today. So now I’m at 12,800 SRs for Giratina, 15,700 REs for Growlithe, and 6,600 REs for Rattata. I also did a practice round for Giratina, but after 47 Pokeballs I still had to Masterball it :( Really hope it decides to stay in a regular Pokeball once it shines. If the universe would like to make a deal and allow me to catch it in a Pokeball in exchange for a longer hunt, I’ll accept :x

Tomorrow I’m working a double, so I’ll be at work from 10-8, so not a whole lot of time for hunting, and minimal time (if any) for hunting Rattata…I may try to start my hunting in the morning before work (in the ~hour I’ll have) just so I can get some time for Rattata in the hopes that I get lucky. Then I (probably) have Tuesday/Wednesday off, as well as my parents going out of town those two days, so that’ll be kind of sweet too.

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

JohnNiles

Yessss, after 2 whole months and about 6000 eggs (all but the last 500 without shiny charm), I managed to break my MM drought with a Storm Drain Lileep on X. I built up a backlog so big, I don't think I'll ever whittle it down. At least I can scratch one higher-than-average egg cycle off the list. I hope I don't get another one in the box- I would rather get lucky with a different target.

This will allow me to shake up my shiny team a bit, as it's seriously moldy 4 months after release. It's been so long, I don't remember what EVs I was planning to give it. -_-

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well then, shiny charm is making up for my hunting absence. So I was training up a team, and right as I was trying to get Pokerus on one of them, this guy appeared:
[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/Snapshot_20140216_3_zps82b672f6.jpg[/IMG139]

Bashful and in a Premier Ball. I can't be bothered to check IV's at this point, especially after IV breeding for 4 team members today. Now I have two shinies to catch up on training, Ho-oh and Skiddo, but first, I've got training for my team. After all of that, I'll hopefully be able to go back for Tornadus, or some other 1/8192 hunt. As exciting as the encounter was, nothing can compare to a 1/8192 shiny, so I want to go and continue my aforementioned hunt soon. Meanwhile, good luck on all the hunts!