• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

CallMyName

View attachment 11927 Yes Ohh Yes after 2.8k egg i finally got this guy i was about to give up after i hit 3k but after 2795 egg to be exact i got it T_T.It has 5 iv missing def , so happy i gonna go cry for a bit .Good luck shiny hunting every 1

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Massive gratz on aquaregisteel, finally a shiny giratina ;3

Seeing this makes me want to play trough my Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and triple-softreset.

Still no masuda shiny. I might just play trough my DPpt for the triple hunt.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
@CpChris, it has been a while since i played HG/SS... but doesn't the Lapras stay there regardless of the day(so long as you start on the friday, and don't leave that part of the cave)... much akin to Drifloon.

ShadowRadon

Shiny Hunter
YES!
After 9000~ REs outside Santalune
SHINY FREAKIN' RALTS!
My second BQ target has finally shone after a months hunt!
And it couldn't be anything better than a 1% Ralts!
So amazed right now, its so blueeee
Pic:WP_000114.jpg

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
@CpChris, it has been a while since i played HG/SS... but doesn't the Lapras stay there regardless of the day(so long as you start on the friday, and don't leave that part of the cave)... much akin to Drifloon.

Yep, this is true. I did a SR hunt for Lapras on my SS badge quest. I think just SRing for it would be your best bet, Cpchris.

Illusione-Tempus

So I was searching for another Seedot for my living dex, as I traded away mine for an Unown.

And after leaving the game for a while to study, I checked the GTS to see whether it's traded already (which usually is as I'm offering a Jungle Vivillon).

I was left gaping in front of my 3DS when I saw what was traded to me.

A Seedot with a reddish body.

Although, I wasn't exactly sure whether it really is a shiny, so I checked its summary and saw the little red star on the screen.

I was so happy that I got a random shiny from the GTS, but then I noticed that it was lv 100...

...*sigh* I guess I'll be hunting a shiny Seedot someday soon...

Congrats on the shinies, everyone.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Congrats to Psynergy, WurmpleKing, Scrufox86, RazorLeafChikorita, litleo729, Shine, MultiDarkShadow777, JohnnyC, wingman32x, Nulava, Samus_Aran, Cyberra, StrongBad456, Sito, Shao-May, AquaRegisteel, FarFromFreedom, Chibi_Muffin, Tyrantrum, Phyroxzenoid, Supremacy (Darn that Murkrow though, hope it reappears soon! ><), Quils, pokemaster13, benjamon1111, Gugulug5000, sonobakagaki, Arcamenel, Douliekmudkipz, The Hiker king, Dangertrout, Keovix, Ampharos_Spark, Drake Pokétrainer, Mr.Shinx, ArdhiS, Puma Italia, Nerdboyiam, Manakete-Girl, ClipOwl, ShinyMisty, IndigoTribesman, Laurelai, JohnNiles, CallMyName, ShadowRadon and anyone I might've missed on your newest shinies!

Major congrats on finishing your Badge Quest as well, Aqua! :D

@Cpchris: I'd vote that you go for SRing Lapras too, if you do decide to hunt it. That way, you can guarantee you find it, and do some test catching beforehand ^^.

Yahoo! The day after Valentine's Day, a shiny Skrelp finally hatched for me after 1198 eggs!

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/BEAUTYSHINYKUZUMOUUUUU111_zps4b10bd20.jpg[/IMG300]

Right in the middle of watching Aladdin too XD. I was so surprised, the colours are even more amazing on-screen than in images!

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/Laminarusstats_zps63f31421.jpg[/IMG300]

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/StubbornenoughtohidefrommeXD_zpsdc35ec6d.jpg[/IMG300]

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/GoLaminarus_zps038a6505.jpg[/IMG300]

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/Disrespectmenot_zps8d4ef16b.jpg[/IMG300]

[IMG300]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/AmbriKyu/Artwork%20and%20Drawings%202010/LaminarusAmie_zps21df53fa.jpg[/IMG300]

It's Modest natured, since I'm going to be training it up as a bulky special attacker. Ended up being a male and with Poison Touch, which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted, but oh well! He's still great <3. I'll just have to save up BP for an Ability Capsule when I get to the Maison, for Poison Point instead (If only Adaptability were available |D). I named him Laminarus, after the biological order of kelp which is Laminariales.

After spending the day in Super Training EVing him, I found out his IVs are pretty, uh, low, but it's not not like that's been a problem for me before, so I'll manage :p.

Now I've got my preliminary hunts on Y done for now, I'm ready to play on ahead and get the rest of my badges! So after that I think I'll get back to my poorly neglected hunts on other games, paused at:

-900 MM eggs for Eevee (SoulSilver)
-1490 MM eggs for Zorua (White)
-5149 REs in Chargestone Cave (White 2)

I'll go back to hatching Eevee first. It's funny, I started this hunt almost exactly one year ago, in February XD.

Good luck everyone! ^_^

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
So, I resumed my Honedge hunt last night, but decided to only fill up a box at a time rather than five at once as I normally do - and thank goodness I did! In the 22nd egg of the first box I filled up - Honedge finally appeared! :D That brings the total to 622 eggs, my longest successful MM hunt so far and my longest in X. Really happy to finally have it. Its spread is 31/31/xx/31/31/31 so not perfect but near enough, and I was worried it wouldn't get the Attack so I'm just happy it did. :)

Congrats to everyone else on your shinies since my last post, especially AquaRegisteel on Giratina, wow! I really commend you for your patience with that hunt.

And good luck to everyone on your hunts! May the shine be with you, as they say. ;)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Thanks for the congrats everyone! I'm glad I've helped to inspire some of you too (dylz in particular!).

I must note that it was actually 25,670 SRs instead, I miscounted accidentally.

I'm currently going through the game to get the Griseous Orb now. However, I'm also hunting in Friend Safaris for Beautifly and Masquerain. Why? Well, I got Cacturne recently and I thought "hey, that reminds me of Harley in the Hoenn anime"...so I decided to go after two of the other character's signature pokémon (Drew and May) to complete the trio...might have to go with some more anime character's signature pokemon in the future!

Congratulations on the recent shinies everyone, and good luck to the rest of you! Hopefully cpchris gets his Giratina soon, to follow suit.

Keovix

Special Congratulations to AquaRegisteel on shiny Giratina, it must feel incredible to reach the goal after so many tries, your perseverance is admirable!

Ampharos_Spark on Palkia, White Pikachu on Piloswine, Drake Pokétrainer on Chinchou and Goldeen, Mr. Shinx on Zigzagoon, ArdhiS on Furfrou, Scrufox86 on Weepinbell, Puma Italia on Gulpin, StrongBad456 on Treecko, Nerdboyiam on Mudkip, Arcamenel on Whimsicott and Psyduck, ShiningKnightXY on Klefki, Manakete-Girl on Bergmite, ClipOwl on Vullaby, Quils on Whimsicott, ShinyMisty on Ditto, IndigoTribesman on Metagross, Laurelai on Pidgey, JohnNiles on Lileep, Psynergy on Skiddo, CallMyName on Piplup, ShadowRadon on Ralts, Illusione-Tempus on Seedot, Ambro on Skrelp, yoshi007 on Honedge and everyone else!

I got really lucky, after 441 SR's shiny Heatran appeared in White2 (using the shiny charm), Heatran has Modest nature, it's IV's are ok I guess, highest is Spec. Def (16-17) and lowest HP (2-3).

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/Keovix%20Shinies/DSCN2400_zps7fc385c1.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/Keovix%20Shinies/DSCN2403_zps71e1a68c.jpg

Still SR for shiny Lugia in SS (9315 SR's so far) and also just started SR in both B2&W2 for shiny Latios and Latias.

Good luck on your current hunts! :)

Dangertrout

First and foremost congrats to AquaRegisteel! What a huge, epic hunt!

Yesterday was my birthday, and I was pretty much convinced that I was going to find a shiny. I MMd, I FSd, I chain fished, I hoarded, I randomed, I even tried chaining with the pokeradar (which I have never gotten the hang of :p) Annnnnd- no birthday shiny for me. I'm getting a bit grumbly- 3000 eggs, and no shiny yet :p So! I decided to hit up the FS, and decided to try to choose one where a friend was online. Only friend on was Dangertrout, so there I went. Second encounter....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140216_233836_zps3f088266.jpg

And that unexpectedly makes CH COMPLETE!

yay!!

Here he is all grown up :)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140217_005349_zps5328e305.jpg

The funny thing is I saw your shout out and thought "how does she know I just encountered a shiny in a FS?" because I had just found a shiny Girafarig in Paddy's FS :p

Speaking of my fancy new shiny Girafarig, it has outstanding stats with max Attack and Speed.
It has a neutral nature, which isn't the worst thing it could have. Maybe I'll use it for something later.

I'm still working on starting my Pearl BQ, I've moved up to route 204 for a change of scenery and because Budew would be good against the 1st gym.
In X I'm still cleaning up after my first batch of fletchling. I wonder trade a box of them and then I RE in a friend safari for a bit.
I'll be hunting in an ice safari next for Delibird and Sneasel.

The Mighty Tuma

Up and Coming Trainer
Congrats to everybody on their recent shinies!

So last week I was horde EV training in connecting cave and a little whismer dicided to go green and purple on me. It was first RE and I'm feeling pretty stocked.

I just recently got a ditto for MMing and IV breeding, so shinies here I come!

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Ok, so I was training some pokemon for competitive battle, and found another shiny Gulpin, last time I was a whole afternoon looking for a horde shiny, and now it appears again xD, the funny thing is that I have found 3 shinys in the same place, a Scraggy and 2 Gulpin, the gulpin was yesterday at night, and right now as I was writting this, I found a shiny Whismur while killing zubats while training my shiny Riolu xD, managed to catch it, so I guess I am wasting my shiny luck on shiny I dont even want much :p

Doobius

MMed my first shiny today. ive tried at least a dozen times over the years and always given up from boredom. most recent attempt was a gastly cause i wanted a white mega gengar. wasn't counting eggs, but it happened within 20 eggs or so with these parents. tried about 15 eggs last night and nothing, so reset and it shined on the 5th egg of the first batch. used 2 5IV parents and wound up with a 3 IV male calm gastly. IVs in attack, sp. attack and sp. defense. not the best, but could be worse. IVs in HP, defense, and speed are the suck, but oh well. probably going to try for another, or switch to a different poke. want to have a shiny mega team. its my first shiny since getting the shiny charm too. woot.

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
I just caught a shiny pidgey lol. So I was looking through my friend safaris and noticed that someone had an empty slot so I wanted to see what it was and first encounter was a shiny pidgey.

Pretty sure the garden was from someone who I had added twice since they were doing a badge quest and I also got shiny wartortle first time in her other garden lol.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Yesterday I hatched a shiny Treecko and today I hatched a shiny Mudkip! And it only took around 150 to 210 eggs. On to my next project, a shiny Chikorita.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Shiny Bunnelby just appeared while hunting in route 22!

Yay, repeats! Lol, I'll just keep this as a Bunnelby. Hopefully Litleo is next, on to phase 2!

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Because of AquaRegisteel's Victory over Giratina...I Thought...and I thought...
And thought some more.

Besides Jarachi, the Lake Trio are some of my favorite Pokemon, my favorite Trio out of all 6 generations.
...I thought about it all night, going back and forth as to WHY I would want to hunt these three.
I look at their Shiny Sprites...and I fell in love with them. Just...something about their normal colors darker with that gold.

But, I continued to ask myself. WHY!? Why would I want to hunt these three? I don't really want to go insane trying to get all three.
I look back at all the posts about getting the shiny Someone was hunting so hard for, how happy you guys sound when you get them...

And one post here changed my mind.
This is kind of what makes me a little sad that legend shiny lock, Friend Safari, and Shiny Charm exist. Very few hunters will be able to
experience what it's to complete such a long fantastic shiny hunt. I know what you're feeling right now. Congrats! You deserved
it. Enjoy the hell out of that. :D

I am going to finish playing through Platinum, my least favorite Generation, And soft reset for all three Lake Trio. Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. I want to know how it feels to get a Shiny that is not from a Friend Safari or Fish Chained, or just helped by the Shiny Charm. I want to EARN my Shinies, not be getting them via trades or such.
This is something I want to do because I want to feel great about myself. To tell myself "Look at this! I got this! I worked hard for it!"
THIS is what it feels like to hunt Shinies, I guess. So, thank-you King of Ho-oh, and AquaRegisteel.

Just...one question. When I go and hunt Mesprit, do I safe before talking to it in the Cave, or before I encounter it for the first time?

Good luck to everyone, Congrats to any new Shinies.
I hope you ALL have a Fantastic day!

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Because of AquaRegisteel's Victory over Giratina...I Thought...and I thought...
And thought some more.

Besides Jarachi, the Lake Trio are some of my favorite Pokemon, my favorite Trio out of all 6 generations.
...I thought about it all night, going back and forth as to WHY I would want to hunt these three.
I look at their Shiny Sprites...and I fell in love with them. Just...something about their normal colors darker with that gold.

But, I continued to ask myself. WHY!? Why would I want to hunt these three? I don't really want to go insane trying to get all three.
I look back at all the posts about getting the shiny Someone was hunting so hard for, how happy you guys sound when you get them...

And one post here changed my mind.

I am going to finish playing through Platinum, my least favorite Generation, And soft reset for all three Lake Trio. Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. I want to know how it feels to get a Shiny that is not from a Friend Safari or Fish Chained, or just helped by the Shiny Charm. I want to EARN my Shinies, not be getting them via trades or such.
This is something I want to do because I want to feel great about myself. To tell myself "Look at this! I got this! I worked hard for it!"
THIS is what it feels like to hunt Shinies, I guess. So, thank-you King of Ho-oh, and AquaRegisteel.

Just...one question. When I go and hunt Mesprit, do I safe before talking to it in the Cave, or before I encounter it for the first time?

Good luck to everyone, Congrats to any new Shinies.
I hope you ALL have a Fantastic day!

Let me tell you, a SR and RE hunt pre-6th gen are some of the best feelings ever. The 1/8000-sumptin chance makes it so worthwhile. Even though my Friend Safari hunt went into 3000 encounters, It still felt less amazing since it was at such low odds. Ever since 6th gen I've ached to go back and SR legendaries. Ive been going for latias for 5 months now and its well over the odds. Im guessing in the 15,000 range. While Kyruem is probably at 4k and thundurus at 1-2k. thundurus or tornadus are in my opinion the rarest shinies out there. So I really want a shiny Thundurus.