• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

benjamon1111

Shiny Hunter
Just keep pressing A. Don't pay attention to the text or the nicknames they are asking you to choose, just keep on pressing A. Soft resets are taking a while in those games, so you might want to skip little details like nicknames. There is, sadly, no fast way to soft reset a starter in X and Y.

Thats what I was doing but I really wasn't sure if it was the fastest way xD. Thanks anyway.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies and condolences to Dangertrout on losing your cat :(

Now that I've obtained a 5/6 IV Sableye I'm going to begin breeding for a 6 IV japanese Smeargle so I can easily get egg moves for anything in the field egg group I want to MM for. This will help a lot as most of my current targets are in that group (Zangoose, Sneasel, Ekans, Mawile and Eevee). Since both the Smeargle I am using to get it have 6 IVs I will hopefully get one soon so I can begin my Zangoose hunt.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

EDIT: Got my 6 IV japanese Smeargle so now I just need to get a 5/6 IV female Toxic Boost Zangoose so I can begin MMing for a shiny.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My shiny hunt for Mareep finally ended last night. Ran into one on my last hunt of the night.

mywolite.png

Pic of it.

Will be hunting for Trapinch and others next.

Attachments

• mywolite.jpg
    mywolite.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JohnNiles

I'm on a roll. I hatched a shiny Carbink late last night. This little guy really helped me through the main game. Thankfully, he hatched with Sturdy. A surprisingly high number of Carbinks hatched with Clear Body, so I dodged a bullet. It also has 5 IVs - this, from a 4 IV Japanese Carbink and a 4 IV Ditto. I guess my next target is Charmander. I've also been trying to trade for foreign Lapras and Snorlax on the GTS but most of the ones I get are total duds. I hate people who deliberately put the crappiest pokemon on the GTS to get back a much better one of the same kind. Hate them, hate them.

I've started EV training my recent shinies- I need them in my lineup to fend off the people who keep randomly challenging me. Still hate singles, though.

All this recent success with soft resetting for legendaries has me interesting in soft resetting too. I could go for Giratina, or Groudon... but I guess I really would like Kyogre the most. I'm also hankering for another playthrough of HeartGold after enjoying the HG/SS soundtrack. I might go catch all the Unowns too.

Scrufox86

Well I have shiny news... I just chain fished a 2nd shiny Horsea. Now I know it isn't a big deal but I did want a couple more so I can have the whole line in shiny form. I think it is because I have duplicates of Staryu, Carvanha and Goldeen etc so I would like to get every chain fishable in shiny form. There are some exceptions though, like I have a shiny Huntail AND Clamperl so I could evolve that into the Gorbyss instead of try to chain fish one considering the rarity.

Congrats to all new shinies since my last post.

I think I will try for another Horsea with Modest nature and then go back to my 5 boxes of Froakie and hatch them all. Then if no shiny in those boxes I will continue until I get shiny Protean Froakie. And then I will begin dual Fennekin and Oshawott hunting on X and White 2 as those are my last two starters for the whole set. Then after that I will go for Koffing and Shuckle by MM on X. However I may take breaks so I don't get bored of egg gathering/hatching and go for something in the Friend Safari.

Edit - Wow I just got my third Horsea (2nd of today) but the synch failed again and this one has Impish... Oh well I have three now so I can have the whole family in shiny form. That means I only have a 2nd Chinchou and possibly a Dratini to get on X version. On Y I will just need the exclusives.

Last edited:

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
So I decided to start a badequest in white and I found a shiny purloin :D

(Took to long for tepig ;^;)

MDS777

The name's Riley
That sucks :( I know the feeling.
Yes, it very much does. That was my very first shiny I have ever "lost". :( It sucks coming across all of the normal Rattata when I could of had a shiny one if the game would let me have Pokeballs. >_>

No new shinies for me. I decided to forget the BQ. It's going to take too long, imo. I'm just going to continue my MM hunt in X. Although, I am going to try out a walkthrough of Leaf Green with Bulbasaur. I normally pick either Squirtle or Charmander.

Congrats everyone and good luck! :)

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Aside from the Wi-Fi Battle Competiton, I'm just having a great weekend. And this just made it even better:

[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/Lileep_zps9b43ffa8.jpg[/IMG139]

In a ridiculously fast 77 eggs, I've got my shiny Storm Drain Lileep! The effort I spent to make sure it was in a Dream Ball is even better, and I've always loved Lileep as a Pokemon. Relaxed with perfect HP, Defense and Special Defense, which is pretty much close to perfect since Lileep doesn't care too much about its Attack or Speed. Special Attack is a pitiful 8, but Storm Drain fixes that, and Lileep isn't much of an attacker anyway, if you can tell by the three egg moves Stealth Rock, Recover and Mirror Coat.

You'll also notice it's a female, and that's even better since Lileep has a 87.5/12.5 gender ratio, just like starters. I don't have any preference with that, but I'm very pleased with this Lileep. Matches the Dream Ball too. I think I'm done with MM for awhile, because I want to finally finish Tornadus. All my hunting efforts will continue on Tornadus, so hopefully that goes well.

Oh right, and I almost forgot, this means CH complete! Haven't actually done one in such a long time, I totally forgot about it.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
So last night I decided to skip the SR for the shiny starter for my BQ in Leaf Green in hopes that while I get a good nature starter, I might get a shiny.

As I was heading back from Viridian City towards Pallet Town to deliver Professor Oak's Parcel, on the 5th encounter in the entire game, I come across a shiny Rattata. Why? WHY?!?! Why did it have to appear before I got my Pokedex and Pokeballs?!? :( What are the odds that this would happen to me? I'm going to reclaim this guy no matter how long it takes!

Pics of Rattata (One without flash, one with)
HABiFdT.jpg

u8ZXG1b.jpg

Keep in mind that the light on the GBA SP isn't too bright, so that's why the picture looks dark without the flash. I also have a picture of one last night, but it looks terrible. I decided to just plug in my charger, cry myself to sleep, and wait until morning to take a picture.

Fun fact: shiny Rattata is my first ever shiny Pokemon aside from the Gyarados you get in GSC. I captured the Rattata on the same Leaf Green cartridge about 9-10 years ago.

I know your pain. The same thing happened to me with a Pidgey in FireRed when I started my pokedex quest last year.

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I got my second shiny in my Pokemon Y badgequest was...

Shiny Zubat.JPG

A Zubat! It's Impish, A somewhat decent nature for it.

I did catch a shiny Zubat on my Firered and trasfered if to my Heartgold that later deicded to just die and I lost my shiny Zubat and several other shinies, I'm really happy that I finally got a replacement after that incident. (My Heartgold now only starts and stays on a black screen with a red line in the middle.) I took me routhly 6 hours to get the shiny Zubat to appear, so I nicknamed her Kawaii meaning cute in Japanese(It was Crystal but I changed it after taking the photo.) . I've already deicided to chain fish the next two shinies due to time restraints.

Last edited:

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
So earlier today I decided to have a quick break from hatching beldums/venipedes and went to check a friend safari that was missing its last pokemon. First encounter I find a shiny poliwhirl :) mild with water absorb.

I always seem to find shinies when I take a quick break from MM lol

Anyway i hatched 5 boxes of beldums today and 3 boxes of venipedes since I really want both of them shiny I thought I might aswell box 3-5 boxes of each then hatch them all really hope one of them shines soon.

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
Well after 455 eggs I finally got my shiny Tyrunt! I hatched it around 3pm. Its Adamant nature with an IV spread of 29/5/3/11/31/31 and had Dragon Dance and Fire, Ice, and Thunder fang.
I named him Royal Blue and he is already evolved

TheMaster327

Still no bird. Stayed up until 2:30am tonight as well. 13 hours or so SRing today, and not one of Arti, Zappy or Molty wanted to shine. Still, new day tomorrow.

Illusione-Tempus

Holy-

So... I was just doing the usual. Put up a Jungle Vivillon looking for Zapdos(es?) to exchange for more legendaries.

But no one really loves Cresselia as well, so I requested for one to trade for other legendaries I want. xD

But then the one that popped at my screen at the GTS had a blue veil instead of the normal pink.

6IVs, it's definitely RNG'd. But heck, that still surprised me so much. xDD

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Tyrunt, Rain Dance on Latias, Illusione-Tempus on Ralts, Manakete-Girl on Fennekin, Gilardino on Phantump, JohnNiles on Carbink, shinyclauncher1234 on Purrloin, Psynergy on Lileep, TheEmeraldKnight on Tyrunt, General_Ridley on Spritzee, and everyone else on your shinies!

That sucks about your Rattata, Multidarkshadow777 =\ Uncatchables are evil.

And very sorry to hear about your cat, Dangertrout :(

------------

I EV trained a 3rd Magby today. This is the last one I’m training (I decided to evolve two into Magmar, even though it’s uglier than Magby). So now I have 2 Magby, 2 Magmar, and 1 Magmortar. And I’ve done 2 rounds of E4 with it in my party and he’s now Lv. 61. Hopefully getting all 3 of these to 100 won’t be too bad. And of course my shiny card is updated to show my somewhat more-diverse collection ;)

But anyways, I did 500 SRs and 500 REs both yesterday and today…

15,700 SRs on Platinum.

19,000 REs on Black 2.

9,900 REs on HeartGold.

Something has to shine soon >.< Good luck, everyone!

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
SR'ing for Girantina. at day 4, dont give a crapz about my count, but im around 250.
since my favorite color is blue, and that silver... Im gonna try. As someone here got a Girantina in 25,000 SR's and another in 250, im trying for less than 5,000

*IZ*

Gosh dangit, I finished hatching the 6 boxes of squirtle eggs and still no luck. I am at 630 eggs, starting to close in to my longest hunt.