• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Dangertrout

I'm pretty partial to Ratentif (aka Patrat) :p

The last two days I've been triple hunting because I've been home sick.
Nothing in Pearl, X (with shiny charm) or SS has shone yet.
I suspect that Zubat sucked all my luck away.

Today I think I'll be focusing on X. I'm MMing a Noibat, but I haven't even made it to 100 eggs yet.
Time to get a move on there.

In other unrelated news, if there is anyone from the Montreal, Quebec area interested in volunteering at Otakuthon (anime convention) this summer, PM me.

yestolgia

So, I was wondering about the Masuda Method, in case I want to do it in the future. I know you take two Pokemon from different countries/languages, which is great, since I have a japanese ditto. I imagine it still takes a lot of eggs to get that elusive shiny though. So I'm wondering, do you just hatch the eggs as you get them, or should you collect around 3-5 boxes of eggs first, then start hatching them all until you get a shiny?

It seems like the second one might be easier than constantly checking for new eggs at the daycare.

JohnNiles

I was going to continue working on Red's team (it's down to Lapras, Snorlax, and Pikachu) but I got a little sidetracked. Lapras and Snorlax have horrendously long egg cycles, and Pikachu's seems to be a little too short- the eggs hatch before I can store a set of 5. So I went and hatched a shiny Carvanha with Speed Boost. It was a project of mine last gen that I gave up on after hatching one without the hidden ability. I transferred over a good parent with Speed Boost after Pokebank came out and started hatching a few days ago. So now it's back to the other project until I get sidetracked again.

I've been playing through HeartGold with the eventual goal of resetting for shiny Kyogre and hopefully catching a shiny along the way. I will also take a crack at catching a full set of Unowns - I shouldn't have released them before Pokebank came out. It is rather slow going and I actually lost to Bugsy 2 or 3 times.

Mr.FusRoDah

A few weeks back, I was riding to my niece's optomitrist's appointment with my gf and her mom (My brother is dating my gf's sister. I know, I'm a double-uncle to my niece lol), and I ran into a hoarde of Durant in that cave near Couriway town while training Tyant my mutant Hitmonlee (Metronome, Blaze Kick, Rolling Kick, Body Slam. I did it for kicks and giggles), and BAM! A shiny Durant! After spending 5 minutes trying to dispatch the others with Blaze Kicks (the accuracy is a pain), I finally winnowed it down to that shiny one. It took about 3 dusk balls and a few net balls before I caught it. It wasn't the first time I had a shiny encounter in a hoarde, and hopefully not the last.

Klinny

Skitty Chaser
So, I was wondering about the Masuda Method, in case I want to do it in the future. I know you take two Pokemon from different countries/languages, which is great, since I have a japanese ditto. I imagine it still takes a lot of eggs to get that elusive shiny though. So I'm wondering, do you just hatch the eggs as you get them, or should you collect around 3-5 boxes of eggs first, then start hatching them all until you get a shiny?

It seems like the second one might be easier than constantly checking for new eggs at the daycare.

I usually fill up a box or so and then hatch them. I find it easier to do this, as you don't have to juggle between hatching eggs and picking up new eggs. Also, once you have a lot of eggs, (assuming you are breeding in X or Y) you can fly to Lumiose City and hatch them there. In the center of the city, you can just hold the D-Pad or thumbstick to the side and ride around in a circle. (And even put a dime or something under the thumbstick if you don't want to sit there the whole time...)

Also if you can manage to get a Japanese/other language version of the Pokemon you are breeding, (for example, an English Eevee and a Japanese Eevee) then the eggs will show up a little faster than if you're using a Ditto.

And for my Shiny Hunting story, I was chaining Swirlix on Route 7. I got the chain to 39 and saw one of the patches sparkle. However, after entering the patch, I realized the sparkling patch must have actually belonged to the flower BEHIND the patch I walked into, because I ended up with a Ducklett that broke my chain. Sad times.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the sparkling animation always looks like it belongs to the patch directly in front of the real shiny patch. Fortunately I was able to re-chain my Swirlix up to 40 again, and reset until I found a Shiny. I named it Bad Cupcake .__.

Last edited:

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
So far I'm trying to get a shiny Paras. I got so excited about getting a shiny Pokémon infected with cordycepts (Parasect aka Zombiesect) that I've to catch one!

yestolgia

I usually fill up a box or so and then hatch them. I find it easier to do this, as you don't have to juggle between hatching eggs and picking up new eggs. Also, once you have a lot of eggs, (assuming you are breeding in X or Y) you can fly to Lumiose City and hatch them there. In the center of the city, you can just hold the D-Pad or thumbstick to the side and ride around in a circle. (And even put a dime or something under the thumbstick if you don't want to sit there the whole time...)

Also if you can manage to get a Japanese/other language version of the Pokemon you are breeding, (for example, an English Eevee and a Japanese Eevee) then the eggs will show up a little faster than if you're using a Ditto.

And for my Shiny Hunting story, I was chaining Swirlix on Route 7. I got the chain to 39 and saw one of the patches sparkle. However, after entering the patch, I realized the sparkling patch must have actually belonged to the flower BEHIND the patch I walked into, because I ended up with a Ducklett that broke my chain. Sad times.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the sparkling animation always looks like it belongs to the patch directly in front of the real shiny patch. Fortunately I was able to re-chain my Swirlix up to 40 again, and reset until I found a Shiny. I named it Bad Cupcake .__.

I thought filling up a box with eggs seemed easier. :) Thanks, and thanks for the tip about Lumiose City.

I actually have the Oval Charm, so there's no worries about getting eggs.

Sorry that you broke you chain. :( I've used the Poke-Radar exactly once, so I don't know how it works, but I imagine you really have to pay attention to the game while you're using it.

Well, I ran into my first shiny since I got the Shiny Charm. It's not the shiny Eevee I was hunting for, but shiny Snubbulls are cool too!

Last edited:

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Congrats on all the recent shinies! I haven't had time to hunt much lately so I haven't really updated much here (thus not wanting to go through and list all the new shinies), but I wanted to do one update quick. I had decided to try SRing for a tepig on White, but with the little bit of time I've had, I decided a nuzlocke would be a better idea for that game. I've tried horde hunting on Route 10 using a timid sync, but I've had no luck with that. I'm going to keep hunting some when I get the time, but I've been pretty busy with life and school :p

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
So far I'm trying to get a shiny Paras. I got so excited about getting a shiny Pokémon infected with cordycepts (Parasect aka Zombiesect) that I've to catch one!

Well... It seems it went the other way around and I just got a shiny Marinne Pattern Vivillon! It was my second choice so I'm not mad about it at all.

Perfect IVs:
- Sp. Attack
- Sp. Defense

Scrufox86

Hi everyone. Congratulations to all new shinies since my last post. Good luck to all still hunting!

Just an update. No new shinies for me since my last few in my last post. I am almost done getting 15 more boxes of Froakie eggs. I am then going to go for Fennekin, Shuckle, Koffing and Furfrou by MM.

Question for everyone about friend safari shinies. Do you guys use your friend safari shinies in the battle maison and online competitively? Or only for in-game?

benjamon1111

Shiny Hunter
Question for everyone about friend safari shinies. Do you guys use your friend safari shinies in the battle maison and online competitively? Or only for in-game?

Personally, I've found 7 FS shinies. I've traded one and have 4 more waiting to be traded. My shiny teddiursa is my strength/sweet scent/rock smash/cut slave, and my shiny zebstrika (modest perfect speed) I use competitively. In my opinion it really depends on if the synchronize works. If it doesn't I'll keep it to trade like those other 4...

480 eggs for klefki, no shiny (with shiny charm). I'm getting really bored and I have no motivation so I might hold this one off until another time. Anyways, congratulations to all the recent shinies (especially those SR hunts, I don't know how you guys do it) and good luck to all ongoing hunts!

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm pretty partial to Ratentif (aka Patrat) :p
Oh god yes, this one is awful. There are some others I just can't stand, like Mustébouée (Buizel), Ptiravi (Happiny), Motisma (Rotom), Nanméouïe (Audino), Pérégrain (Spewpa) and Cocotine (Aromatisse).
In other unrelated news, if there is anyone from the Montreal, Quebec area interested in volunteering at Otakuthon (anime convention) this summer, PM me.
Oooh, I'd love to come, but I don't think my parents will agree... But still, summer is not to our doors just yet, so there's plenty of time to think about it. Where is it held ? At Montreal ? :p

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.

It all depends on the Shiny I encounter. the Cloyster I caught...MIGHT be used, I am not sure. I might also just choose to trade him off, though.
Pokemon like Hope that I catch are all trained up and ready to fight.

As for my hunts. I chose to...be stupid and start a badge quest. (Yeah, I tried before...but got bored)
I'll be badge questing Fire Red, starting with the final Kanto Starter I need; Squirtle. And also, my sister gave me her camera charger! :D
She also got a shiny Chespin through trade, meaning she has all three Starters! Congrats to her!!

As for my Purrloin hunt...300 and nothing. I am really getting low hearted on it. But then I look at hunts like Quils, AquaRegisteel, and EVERYONE who hunted a starter when they first got the game...I am going to keep hatching, just after I EV train my first Shiny ever, Landslide. (She had 106 EVs in SPEED going through heartgold. o_O! EW!) Who knows, I might get something from it.

Congrats to everyone, good luck, and I hope you all have a FANTASTIC DAY! :D

Currently SRing on ss for shiny chikorita. my first shiny hunt ever. currently at 400 SR's

Scrufox86

Oh well I return with a triple whammy!!! Sadly no more shiny Eevee for me which I expected as it must know I wanted another shiny Eevee and instead this different friend safari to the other Eevee one has given me within one hour... a Shiny Lillipup, a 2nd Shiny Lillipup and.... a Shiny Kecleon! I was shocked when the Kecleon showed up as it was only 5 minutes after the 2nd Lillipup. Now I have three shiny Lillipup so I can have the whole evolution line in shiny form. But this also means that in all of my Eevee friend safari's I will most likely get many more duplicates as I have every other pokemon as shiny now (bar a few which I could get one more duplicate). I don't like MMing Eevee so much due to the hatching time but it looks like I may have to go that route if I want to get multiples for the whole evolution line. But having said that I could still try in friend safari as any duplicates I do not want I could put on offer for a shiny I don't have so I won't rule friend safari out completely.

So I will begin hatching my Froakie eggs tomorrow. 450 eggs to hatch over the next few days. I hope I get my shiny Protean one in this batch and maybe there will be another hidden in there too if I am very lucky. If I get bored of MMing then I will probably go back to friend safari but not an eevee one I am fed up with normal types for now lol. I think I will try either a fire type safari or a ghost one. I know that I have not got many shiny ghost pokemon so I could easily find one where I have none of the three pokemon as shiny.

Well anyway congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck everyone!

Edit - Oh I just noticed Lillipup is on the CH list so Community Hunt Complete X8!

Last edited:

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
I was EV training a couple Pokémon today and I found a shiny scraggy and a little while later I got a shiny Cubcoo. I got both in a horde encounter.

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Currently SRing on ss for shiny chikorita. my first shiny hunt ever. currently at 400 SR's

Do you know how SR'ing works in SS? Because you don't need to pick the pokemon as your starter before you can tell if it is shiny. All you need to do is flip through all 3 sprites to see if one of the 3 starters is shiny then reset. Just to save you time and you can get one of the other starters shiny also.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Hey guys. :) Haven't posted here in a while. Still trying to get that female Ralts :#

I just hatched egg #750 for Ralts #3. Hopefully it will shine soon and it'll be female! :) I also plan my next MM hunt to be for shiny Rattata, not only because I lost one recently, but because Rattata was my first ever shiny besides the Gyarados in GSC. I'll be hunting in X of course as it's easier and I'll be able to get the nature I want.

Congrats to everyone on your shinies and good luck to everyone!

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
After doing my homework and taking a look at what exactly I need to do before spring break, I decided I have a little bit of time to hunt. I'm doing some horde encounters in Y, but I doubt anything will come of them since my games hate me