• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Typhlox

Typhlosion Trainer
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've last posted, as I've been busy with school, work, and filling up my National Dex in Y since my Black version with all 649 went missing... But I'm getting off topic here. Since I'm filling up my dex, I needed to evolve a few guys to get their evolutions. So I went to my standard training route, route 21, to do some horde battling. On the very first horde, this little guy stumbled in.

My Drunken Bud

Anyway, I hope your hunts are going well, and I hope they shine soon!

Edit: Totally spaced and didn't realize that I had fulfilled this month's CH requirements. Community Hunt Complete!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Oak's still being a total spoilsport and not giving me my shiny bird. Spent 12 and a half hours solid hunting (with meal breaks) today and still nothing. I may not be counting my SRs, but I'm fairly sure I saw in the region of 2,000-3,000 birds today. When you think I've been at this hunt for nearly a year (on and off), how many birds have I seen total? I do work, so I'm not 12.5 hours every day at this lol

TheGreaterLucario

Well, last night I caught a Shiny Dedenne in the Friend Safari. I nicknamed it ChocoCheeks because Dedenne's Shiny form looks like chocolate. I also found a third Shiny Fraxure in the Friend Safari earlier today. Just like the last two, it was female.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I'm now up to 480 eggs for Zangoose. No luck yet. Hopefully it hatches soon. I'm getting really busy at uni so my hunting time is being cut down considerably.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Shiny bird? I don't recall Oak giving the player any sort of bird pokemon.

IIRC speaking to Professor Oak in Platinum would cause Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres begin to roam the region. I think that's what TheMaster327 is SRing for.

yestolgia

I'm convinced this game can read my mind. o_o I complained about getting a shiny Magmar instead of a shiny Charmeleon several posts up. So what does it do? Give me a shiny Charmeleon while I wasn't even paying attention! I'm glad I noticed the gold color before I pressed run.

The same thing happened not long ago, when I got two girl shiny Swablus in a row and decided to post about it here. Not even ten minutes later, a male one appeared.

sdotj

Successful shiny week so far for me as I've found two ninetails and a pansear. The downside is that pansear sucks and its shiny is not that different when evolved, and also both of the ninetails had flashfire and crap natures. I will continue to hunt until I get that drought ninetails!!

Congrats to everyone on their recent success!!

irv

Master-in-Training
Gen'd myself a shiny Scizor woohoo!

No but seriously, I came across a shiny Bidoof when I booted up my Diamond to transfer stuff to Black then pokebank yesterday! That was nice. Congrats everyone on your hunts!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to professorj on Sableye; Kyle Clarthy on Smeargle ,Chespin ,Emolga ,Honedge , Anorith, Aerodactyl, Archen, Hawlucha, Skiddo, Omanyte, Furrfrou, the three Rhyhorns, Totodile, Froakie, Poochyena, Tyrunt, Pancham, Fletchling, Latios, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Pichu, and both Miltank (phew, what a list! Actually having to switch to semi-colons now…); Sito on both Mareep; Blastonite on Squirtle; Jonah White on Vulpix; Shiny Lord on Cyndaquil; I, Pink Elephant on Absol; AmazingChi on Honedge; irv on Bidoof; and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

Only did 100 REs/SRs yesterday. Took it pretty easy. Did 400 REs/SRs today. So Giratina’s at 19,600 SRs, Growlithe’s at 23,500 REs, and Rattata’s at 4,000 REs.

Not gonna lie, it’s tempting to just leave the tower and hunt Magikarp, since I can find 100% Magikarp day AND night, and Dragon Rage still gives me a safe way to lower Ho-Oh’s health (4 hits). Plus I could always find a Rattata during some other hunt, since it’s in a lot of Routes I’ll eventually hunt in…

But for now I’m just gonna tough it out. And I’d really like to hunt Magikarp in Dragon’s Den so that I have a slim chance to find Dratini as well, and I can’t hunt there until after I beat the 8th gym.

And I won’t be able to hunt much tomorrow…Dentist at 10 (sadface), then work immediately after, probably until at least 9, maybe 10. Maybe I’ll get 100 or so done before I have to leave. Not sure if I’ll feel like hunting after work, especially if it’s really late.

Good luck, everyone!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on all the shinies, everyone!

I'm going to start MMing for the first time in a while, and I think I'll go for shiny Horsea since I've heard Kingdra is decent competitively and it just looks cool.:) MMing with an Everstone/Destiny Kbot doesn't lower the shiny chance, does it? I've seen some people say it does and some have said it doesn't so I'm not really sure.

Nah, using those items doesn't lower your chance. Good luck! :]

-------------

Well, after checking my activity log, I can estimate that I've done around 8.3k SRs for Fennekin. I knew this hunt would be difficult, but I didn't expect it to pass the original odds lol. I'm also at 10k+ REs for Litleo, so these 1/4096 odds really hate me right now >.>.

Welpp, gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
Urgh, does anybody else chain in Pokemon X and Y? I'm struggling to find a shiny Goomy... I had a shiny Goodra on my file before my data corrupted, and I really want her back. I could probably move to a friend safari I have with one, but... I don't like doing REs. I tried doing that with Repel Trick on the water yesterday and I just - if I got a shiny stunfisk I'd scream so I gave up.

Any tips for chaining on route 16?

EDIT: I swear if Carnivine breaks my chain one more time I'm throwing my 3DS out the window. T^T

Last edited:

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
found a shiny HA Braixen in the FS in less than 50 encounters. Pictures:
edit: Friend Safari treats you like a king. Its how i got my 3 starter shinies, 5 other shinies, and probably more.

Attachments

• HNI_0055.JPG
    HNI_0055.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Round 3 for vanillite ended without a pink ice cream cone. I'm about halfway through egg collection for round 4. Hoping vanillite decides to sparkle soon...

In Y I'm up to 1,700 encounters for goomy. My team lead is an Illuminate volbeat, aptly named Searchlight. I find it funny that volbeat's cry sounds like it's saying "goomy"... Attacked a random non-shiny goomy to see how much damage Searchlight would do, and was pleased to learn I could use Searchlight to lower a shiny's HP without KOing it in one hit. I also have my venusaur along; it's got Sleep Powder. The temptation to just catch a female goomy in the proper ball and breed the shiny is there, but I'm determined to see this RE through to the end. As long as that end is a goomy and not a stunfisk.

Speaking of balls, I've read of people breeding pokemon in moon balls and fast balls... Where are you getting those? The main Serebii site says they only come from HeartGold and SoulSilver and turn into normal pokeballs if transferred out of those games.

Last edited:

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
Round 3 for vanillite ended without a pink ice cream cone. I'm about halfway through egg collection for round 4. Hoping vanillite decides to sparkle soon...

In Y I'm up to 1,700 encounters for goomy. My team lead is an Illuminate volbeat, aptly named Searchlight. I find it funny that volbeat's cry sounds like it's saying "goomy"... Attacked a random non-shiny goomy to see how much damage Searchlight would do, and was pleased to learn I could use Searchlight to lower a shiny's HP without KOing it in one hit. I also have my venusaur along; it's got Sleep Powder. The temptation to just catch a female goomy in the proper ball and breed the shiny is there, but I'm determined to see this RE through to the end. As long as that end is a goomy and not a stunfisk.

Speaking of balls, I've read of people breeding pokemon in moon balls and fast balls... Where are you getting those? The main Serebii site says they only come from HeartGold and SoulSilver and turn into normal pokeballs if transferred out of those games.

I used to have a shiny Vanillite, keep going! I got a shiny cubchoo before I got the Vanillite :p

And I'm assuming repel trick? I was going to do that but I don't have the patience, so I chained instead.

The balls don't change out of HG SS; the data is retained but black and white don't have a sprite c: the balls appear back in x and y.

AAAAAANNNNDDD After about 44 srs for every chain, I finally have my shiny Goomy! I almost ran out of repels tho gosh :0

pikamilk

Was breeding Milltank a few days ago, as I though both of its non-HA abilities are pretty good so after getting a perfect Scrappy Miltank, I tried to get a perfect Thick Fat one too. Bred a 4V Miltank with a flawless Ditto and was getting impatient because after 15 eggs (yeah I know it's not like it's 150...) I got a bunch of Miltanks that were perfect in everything except Attack. And it's really late so I had to sleep so I was like, ok, latch batch, and the last one was a shiny Miltank and it's perfect! Totally unexpected and it's my perfect shiny mon lol.

maldoror

Been doing a lot of horde hunting lately with some success. I caught the following: swablu (FINALLY! No more darn Spindas), stunky, two roggenrolla, two more foongus, another poliwag, my SEVENTH spinda, two weepinbell, hoppip, I reclaimed geodude and lost another, and durant. I am still trying for Mime jr., murkrow, gligar, and arbok. Once those have been obtained, I will be pretty much done with hordes outside of EV training.

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your current hunts.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

They only turn into normal Poke Ball in D/P/Pt.

In Gen V games the Ball remains the same, no sprite change whatsoever. I know this for sure because I still have a Level Ball Alakazam on my Black 2, and I just recently transferred a Lure Ball Miltank from my Black 2 into my X.

Anyway.....250 eggs and no Shiny Furfrou yet, but 250 eggs is still an early number anyway.

I also spent around one and a half hour in an FS with Braixen in it, but not even the Larvesta and the Ponyta comes out as a shiny, let alone my actual target, the Braixen.

......I guess I'll try looking for Braixen again some time after that black dog finally shows up.

Klinny

Skitty Chaser
Urgh, does anybody else chain in Pokemon X and Y? I'm struggling to find a shiny Goomy... I had a shiny Goodra on my file before my data corrupted, and I really want her back. I could probably move to a friend safari I have with one, but... I don't like doing REs. I tried doing that with Repel Trick on the water yesterday and I just - if I got a shiny stunfisk I'd scream so I gave up.

Any tips for chaining on route 16?

EDIT: I swear if Carnivine breaks my chain one more time I'm throwing my 3DS out the window. T^T

Do you mean route 14? (The swampy one with Goomy and Caravine?) I don't think either of the routes have any "ideal" grass patches, just awkward looking ones. I've never had much luck with grass, though, I seem to do much better in flower patches.

It takes a lot more patience with smaller/awkward grass fields, since you don't really want to enter a patch unless it's ideal, (4 squares away, and shaking heavily) and it's so much harder to find one since the majority of your 4-patches are going to be outside the field. But just keep resetting until you see one, (better to be overly-cautious than reckless in chaining) and of course every time you reset you have a chance to see a Shiny patch, so here is little downside to resetting obsessively.

Also try not to get discouraged if the chain breaks! Getting a Shiny on a low chain is not horrifically uncommon. Also, with every grass patch you enter, you still have the regular chance to find a RE Shiny. And, on top of that, if the "Shiny Music" starts playing, you have a fairly high chance to find a Shiny patch while resetting, even on a very low chain.

I suppose my advice then is just not to get discouraged, haha. And maybe don't aim for a 40-chain if you're having trouble; looking for "Shiny Music" and resetting obsessively can be good tactics too.

ashcrimson777

Newb Shiny Hunter
1260 eggs on my Chansey hunt!!! Hatch, damn it :,( Though I got my Shiny and Oval charm after hatching 1080 eggs, so I guess it should be easier now. By the end of today, should've hatched 1350 eggs. The long egg cycles are killer, though.........

Senrab

100 non-shiny Horseas hatched so far. I did manage to get one with all 6 perfect IVs to use as a parent, though.