• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ohjeezitskim

Today I've decided to go and collect the most eggs I've ever collected...
I think the max I ever did in any Pokemon game was maybe 210-240?

I went and collected 330 Gligar eggs. I had two or three more boxes I could have filled but I wanted to get to hatching.
Hatching the first box right now, keeping my fingers crossed!

If this huge batch fails me, I'll be at 1,410 egg and crying xD

Cutty

Forever now
I finally managed to chain Swirlix and Fletchling to 40 and got their shinies, plus another Flabebe, which is the white one (the last time I got the blue one and blue Floette from Safari, so its a nice addition).
For Fletchling I got to 40 chain two times, but the first one the shiny patch was stubborn to appear so I started going into patches and broke the chain, classic. >.<

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02-17213909_zps7a44f6ef.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02-19195234_zps58abdb77.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094259_zpsee64a31e.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094414_zps09934af8.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094331_zps75979d0a.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094536_zps05c3576c.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094611_zps0d6d8103.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094654_zps5f5a4996.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03-15094127_zps0354e95a.jpg[/IMG139]

I also got a shiny Plusle from chaining, but I'm lazy to take the pic (traded anyway). And its the one and only chained shiny that appeared when the upbeat music played.
Also just some tips, when you reach 40 and start resetting for a shiny patch, you'd better make sure the volume is on/heard well, cuz sometimes the shiny patch appear at the lower bottom of your 3DS screen and you might not be able to see the sparles except the 'special shiny tone.' It happened when I got my shiny Litleo and Swirlix.

My current hunt now is MMing for a good IV's/5IV's Shiny Adamant Honedge.
Its my first good IV shiny project. I've never really bothered about IVs in shiny hunting before.
I managed to get 6IV foreign Ditto from a trade and also 6IV adamant female Honedge also from the trade. We'll see how it turns out later. So far I've only hatched 200 eggs.

As aside hunt maybe I'll chain again, for shiny Inkay or Goomy.

Congrats on all recent shinies caught and good luck on all you hunts :)

Tyrantrum

Used the poketransporter and pokemon bank today to bring the Shiny Raticate and Shiny Steelix that I had in Firered, all the way into my pokemon Y. So bringing my shiny count on Y to 4 currently. (2 Kalos born, and 2 non Kalos Born)

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
I was EV training the other day and this Blue Gulpin appeared.

Horde Encounter
Screen

Congrats to recent shinies caught by everyone and good luck for those who is still hunting. Happy shiny hunting...!

Senrab

I think I'll start MMing for a Shiny Abra. I'm kind of worried that it won't have it's Hidden Ability and even more worried that it might be female. Having a female Pokemon that would later have a long, glorious moustache is too weird for me. Oh well, wish me luck.:p

Also, congrats on all the recent shinies!:D

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I think I'll start MMing for a Shiny Abra. I'm kind of worried that it won't have it's Hidden Ability and even more worried that it might be female. Having a female Pokemon that would later have a long, glorious moustache is too weird for me. Oh well, wish me luck.:p

Also, congrats on all the recent shinies!:D

No weirder than a male pokemon wearing a dress *cough*Gardevoir*cough*

After another 70 eggs, bringing me to an even 200, I hatched an adamant golett with Iron Fist and swapped it out for the one I'd been breeding with after putting the everstone on it. I've since hatched 60 adamant golett, most with Iron Fist but a scattered few with Klutz. Hoping one will sparkle soon.

In Black 2, I am one box into my second hatch for chatot

After an hour and a half of vague instructions, error messages, pages that won't load, and quite a few muttered profanities, I have FINALLY gotten my free copy of X. Once I get into it, I can try for a blue zangoose to go with my shiny seviper.

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to ashcrimson777 on Chansey x2, Cyberra on Snivy, HGaddict on Cascoon and Spearow, eiger on Carbink, Illusione-Tempus on Carvanha, Strorm_Dragoon on Shinx, CryHavoc91 on Latias, Keovix on Registeel, dark1raven3 on Venipede, Azure Kyorge on Snivy and Yamask, wobbanut on Golbat, manske90 on Chespin, CallMyName on Mareep, tonyg44x on Hawlucha, Crimson Penguin on Feebas, AquaRegisteel on Patrat, PKMN Trainer Gray on Froakie, KittyKitty3308 on Honedge, ShadowRadon on Bulbasaur, varanus_komodoensis on Ekans, Kyle Clarthy on Electrode, and everyone else!

---------------

The drought continues! Fennekin is at ~11.5k SRs, and after checking my activity log; I can estimate that I've done around 20k(and this is estimating quite low, so I have probably done a bit more) REs on Route 22 for Litleo. Its pretty frustrating, but thanks to all of you who have been wishing me luck on these hunts; it keeping me motivated. :]

Good luck everyone, especially those I have mentioned before and also TheMaster327 and Gligari!

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to ashcrimson777 on Chansey x2, Cyberra on Snivy, HGaddict on Cascoon and Spearow, eiger on Carbink, Illusione-Tempus on Carvanha, Strorm_Dragoon on Shinx, CryHavoc91 on Latias, Keovix on Registeel, dark1raven3 on Venipede, Azure Kyorge on Snivy and Yamask, wobbanut on Golbat, manske90 on Chespin, CallMyName on Mareep, tonyg44x on Hawlucha, Crimson Penguin on Feebas, AquaRegisteel on Patrat, PKMN Trainer Gray on Froakie, KittyKitty3308 on Honedge, ShadowRadon on Bulbasaur, varanus_komodoensis on Ekans, Kyle Clarthy on Electrode, and everyone else!

---------------

The drought continues! Fennekin is at ~11.5k SRs, and after checking my activity log; I can estimate that I've done around 20k(and this is estimating quite low, so I have probably done a bit more) REs on Route 22 for Litleo. Its pretty frustrating, but thanks to all of you who have been wishing me luck on these hunts; it keeping me motivated. :]

Good luck everyone, especially those I have mentioned before and also TheMaster327 and Gligari!
Thanks Supremacy! I hope you get your litleo and fennekin soon!

TheMaster327

---------------

Thanks Supremacy! Hoping that the elusive bird comes today. Whole day to hunt it. Hopefully your Fennekin comes soon as well.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the shinies in the last 24 hours :)

I've been doing a little more hunting, and have reached 17,774 SRs for Lugia now.

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

lucarioisawesome

Who did this to me!
@.@ 450 eggs so far and no shiny venipede. My shiny luck is horrible. I got to a chain of 72 fishes yesterday and no shiny @.@. In fact, the only shiny i got in Kalos is a shiny azumaril in FS

Senrab

Sort of a Shiny question because I want to hatch a shiny Magic Guard Abra... I've heard that you have the best chance of passing down the ability if the parent with the HA is female. Does this work with a female with it's HA breeding with Ditto or does it have to be a male of the same species?

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Sort of a Shiny question because I want to hatch a shiny Magic Guard Abra... I've heard that you have the best chance of passing down the ability if the parent with the HA is female. Does this work with a female with it's HA breeding with Ditto or does it have to be a male of the same species?

A female with an Hidden Ability will have the same chance of passing down her ability, regardless of what type of Pokémon the father is. This chance is elevated to 60%, in Abra's case. Each other ability has 20% chances being passed down. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think FemaleHA + Ditto works, only MaleHA + Ditto, so by that logic I'd guess that FemaleHA + Breedable Male is the only option?

Oh, yeah, AmazingChi is right. Do not breed a female Hidden Ability Pokémon with Ditto.

Last edited:

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think FemaleHA + Ditto works, only MaleHA + Ditto, so by that logic I'd guess that FemaleHA + Breedable Male is the only option?

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Yes I got a shiny Sandshrew in 26044 REs in HG, so BQ #5 is complete. Thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt. The place I'm hunting for BQ #6 is the Safari zone, and I know there is a high chance of the pokemon running away. I figured I'd try to catch one a few times and if I lose the shiny those few times then I'd go some where else to hunt. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

nickM

Got my first MM shiny!

A larvesta ^^ (i still have 7 boxes full of eggs :<)

I'm not allowed to post the picture, sorry!

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Yes I got a shiny Sandshrew in 26044 REs in HG, so BQ #5 is complete. Thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt. The place I'm hunting for BQ #6 is the Safari zone, and I know there is a high chance of the pokemon running away. I figured I'd try to catch one a few times and if I lose the shiny those few times then I'd go some where else to hunt. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Congrats on the long hunt! Sandshrew was my 2nd badge in my heartgold also!

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
shiny hunting in the friend safaris is harder than I thought. any tips? so far I've had no luck but if anyone has extra shinies they wouldn't mind trading me please pm me I can try to make the best offer I can my ones for trade are a shiny gyrados (in heavy ball), a shiny garbodor, and a shiny Mawile plus mega stone. I have a shiny staraptor or JAP zoroark thats negotiable if theres a great offer. other shinies are charizard and lucario not for trade FC: 2750-1612-8351. best of luck on shiny hunts!

Shinycharizard06, please take this to the trade thread, trades do not belong here.

Congrats to all the new shiny's out there. Especially Kyle Carthy on that Electrode!!
I'm still going for that SS BQ. I'm Sr'ing for a starter right now, and I'm starting to lose hope. I'm also working on my Eevee MM. I want 8 shiny Eevees, with at least one female. So, if it takes 50 shiny Eevees to get a female, I'll be MM'ing for a while! Off and on I'm also SR'ing for Cressilia in W2, and working on my Platinum play through so I can SR for the Legendaries in that game, (lake trio, heatran, regigigas, dialga, palkia, yadayadaya.) And somewhat working on a Ruby BQ; I have 2 copies of Ruby, and one has a dead battery, so I'm taking turns on both copies.

Good luck to all the Shiny Hunters out there!!!

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

A female with an Hidden Ability will have the same chance of passing down her ability, regardless of what tupe of Pokémon the father is. This chance is elevated to 60%, in Abra's case. Each other ability has 20% chances being passed down. :)

Oh, yeah, AmazingChi is right. Do not breed a female Hidden Ability Pokémon with Ditto.

Actually, this was changed in Gen VI. Female Pokemon can now pass down their Hidden Ability when breeding with Ditto. I tested it out myself and it works.

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
So the other day I posted here about my poison point no attack shiny venipede that I wasn't too satisfied with so I carried on breeding.

314 eggs later I hatched another shiny with speed boost and missing hp so I'm happy with that :) can't wait to raise him so in total I hatched around 940 something eggs well more than that since I did hatch 5 boxes before then switched back to a different hunt but I'm glad I finally got him.

Anyways good luck with all your hunts.

Edit: ok so I decided I was going to breed me and my bf a 5iv feebas since I got a 5 iv one with egg moves from wt the ivs were in the wrong places so I was gonna breed for the ones I want. Anyways on the 33rd egg I got a 5 iv shiny feebas missing spec def with swift swim ability so now I'm trying to think if I wanna raise it or get a 5 iv with oblivious ( competitive) but still 2 shinies in such a short time.

Last edited: