• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
My sister was trading with a random guy over the PSS, and offered a Cyndaquil. Then the guy kept showing her a shiny crobat with Pokerus. No matter how many times she tried to offer a different pokemon the guy kept showing crobat. So she traded for the crobat. However, when she showed me the Crobat, I noticed it was non-kalos. Naturally I have no way to prove this, but I don't think its legit.

If he kept showing Crobat, he might have been stuck on "Offer". If the other person you're trading with doesn't change Pokemon, you should offer something and then cancel out the trade as a formality.

If it's non-Kalos native, it might be fairly easy to hack check. Head over to the Hack-Check Thread, follow the instructions on the first post, and someone can check it for you.

Tyrantrum

If he kept showing Crobat, he might have been stuck on "Offer". If the other person you're trading with doesn't change Pokemon, you should offer something and then cancel out the trade as a formality.

If it's non-Kalos native, it might be fairly easy to hack check. Head over to the Hack-Check Thread, follow the instructions on the first post, and someone can check it for you.

Well, it wasn't my game, it was my sister's. And I only heard the story after, didn't watch the actual trade go down. But I will try to get more info about her crobat, see if its hacked to post in that thread you linked to, although in my head I think I know the answer. I'll also advise her that just because someone shows a pokemon repeatedly, it may mean that they are stuck on the offer button.

pikamilk

Am trying to MM breed a shiny Swirlix, now at around ~350 eggs, hopefully it will come out soon :D. And good luck to you all!

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
wonder trade is certainly being nice to me, got a shiny nidorina, venipede, and kangaskhan. They are great and all, but that doesn't change the fact that I still havent hatched that Zorua yet, oh well....

congrats on any shinies since my last post though!

should also mention that all the shinies i got through wonder trade are non-kalos, so it's possible they're hacked, however since i don't really intend to use them much, it's not a big deal to me

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Just a note...nobody can actually get hacked Pokemon over to X or Y, remember? The fact that Poke Bank can delete the boxes of anyone who tries to transfer hacked Pokemon should say that it's legit. Unless of course, you count RNGing as such.

I'm up to 3,100 REs for Lillipup. Hopefully it shines next...

But I must congratulate Supremacy on FINALLY getting Fennekin! It took you a while, that's for sure, but you have it at last!
And congrats to Shadowkrow on Sandshrew! You definitely deserved a shiny after such a long hunt, and you've got a nice shiny too :)
Congrats to everyone with new shinies and good luck to you all (particularly TheMaster327...damn when will they shine?).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Just a note...nobody can actually get hacked Pokemon over to X or Y, remember? The fact that Poke Bank can delete the boxes of anyone who tries to transfer hacked Pokemon should say that it's legit. Unless of course, you count RNGing as such.

Ha ha, no.

As long as it's naturally possible for the Shiny to be a Shiny out of the ten Pokemon that should never be during the transfer, the hacked Shinies can bypass the flawed hack check.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Just a note...nobody can actually get hacked Pokemon over to X or Y, remember? The fact that Poke Bank can delete the boxes of anyone who tries to transfer hacked Pokemon should say that it's legit.

They don't delete anything, at least, not to my knowledge.

And you certainly can get a hack 'mon onto PokéBank. It just depends on how well it's made...

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
They don't delete anything, at least, not to my knowledge.
i can confirm this, i have a hacked Deoxys in Black 2, it merely removes it from the transfer box and leaves it in the gen V game

if anyone is wondering, it was only there for pokedex data, i've abandoned it now that i have a legit one

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well I'm pretty sure that they do have capabilities to do so. Don't jump on my back for it.

Forget it.

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Well I'm pretty sure that they do have capabilities to do so. Don't jump on my back for it.

No one's "jumping on your back", we're just correcting you. ;)

I don't think they will delete anything on purpose.

LLR

Vivillon Trader

Forget it.

They have the warning when you sign up with Bank that they will block you if you try to upload hacked pokemon. I asked support about it because I had traded with my son who had traded with his friends and I knew some of his friends used to use hacks and I didn't know which if any of my pokemon were hacks.
The answer was they couldn't do anything to individuals for attempting to upload hacks at this time.

Ok lets get back to topic. Caught a shiny Spearow in a friend safari last night while hoping for the Tranquil or Hawklucha...for the community hunt. Ahh well...keep trying that's what shiny hunters do. Right?

Last edited:

Metalloid

Hearing all your shiny stories makes me sad.. Been hunting for a shiny electabuzz or galvantula in a safari for about four days now. Figured it'd be kinda quicker with the shiny charm

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Thanks to everyone that congratulated me on getting the shiny Sandshrew. :) As for my other hunts. I'm at 12200 REs for my BQ in B2, I have gotten Pokerus however(still would have liked to have gotten a shiny instead.). I am at 3830 REs in Y at route 10, trying to get Hawlucha. Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Supremacy on getting that Fennekin and good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially TheMaster327 on the bird trio, and Cpchris on Growlithe and Giratina.

Rotifer

Well, I was watching a movie with a friend last night, and something shone! Unfortunately it wasn't the starly I wanted, but a shiny stunky.
Of course, the very next horde I encounter had to be a starly horde. RNG, why do you taunt me so?

That being said, I'm surprised at how much I like this little guy! I named him Linnaeus, and he gets to join my team on my current run through of X. He has aftermath and a calm nature (I always seem to get hindering natures on my shinies... my larvesta came out adamant), but I still love him! The red color looks really great on him... I'm happy that not all shinies got their color pallets washed out this gen.
If only the typhlosion line was so lucky.

So, on an unrelated note, I've got a question. What's you guy's experience with masuda method in this generation? My friend has hatched about 500 eggs or so for a shiny litleo, and is worried that she is doing it wrong since she isn't sure if the pokemon she is using is foreign, or just foreign language. She also has the shining charm. In your opinion, does the shining charm make a difference for masuda method? And does foreign language really equal a foreign pokemon?
For my masuda method shinies I used a japanese ditto I got in fifth gen, so I'm not sure about any of this.

ohjeezitskim

So, on an unrelated note, I've got a question. What's you guy's experience with masuda method in this generation? My friend has hatched about 500 eggs or so for a shiny litleo, and is worried that she is doing it wrong since she isn't sure if the pokemon she is using is foreign, or just foreign language. She also has the shining charm. In your opinion, does the shining charm make a difference for masuda method? And does foreign language really equal a foreign pokemon?
For my masuda method shinies I used a japanese ditto I got in fifth gen, so I'm not sure about any of this.

I'm over 1,500. Granted I don't have the shiny charm, I'm still over the odds! 500 really isn't too many. It's a lot easier to tell if a pokemon is foreign or not because it says right on their stat summary if they are Japanese or from another country. (right after their name)
It'll also tell her in her pokedex, it will have the foreign dex entry.
I've seen some people say shiny charm doesn't work with MM but I've seen people also say the opposite, just tell her to hang in there!
---

Collecting eggs again, just collected over 200. I'm still going though.
My total stands at 1,540 MM eggs will collect until I get bored of it and then work on trade requests
THEN TO HUNTING. Hoping to come back with shiny news :)

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to ashcrimson777 on Chansey and Gligar, Blastonite on Bellsprout, The Prince of May on Ivysaur, Shine on Braixen, Rain Dance on Weepinbell, Cyberra on Chatot, Electrike, and Poochyena, ShadowRadon on Squirtle, Dangertrout on Mankey, Keovix on Gloom, Typhlox on Chansey, Laurelai on Chinchou, maldoror on Hawlucha, Voltorb, Farfetch'd, and Hoppip, Tyrantrum on Bunnelby, pokemaster13 on Zapdos, rovert on Chespin, Scrufox86 on Psyduck, CryHavoc91 on Eevee x5, Thunder09 on Spritzee, llr on Spearow, and Rotifer on Stunky!

Well, my Shiny Charm has struck again! Shiny Purrloin on the 92nd egg!

Only 10 eggs into today's session, and a dark purple female Purrloin has appeared! Funnily enough, my last four shinies have all been via MM, and they're all female... XD Guess I have something of a streak going. I named her Catherine, and her nature is Jolly with perfect IVs in HP, Attack, and Speed... and the Unburden ability. ;_; I really wanted Prankster tho... For some reason I seem to have pretty bad luck with hatching shinies with the right ability. Oh well, I still love her anyway! She's evolved into a Liepard now, and she is so pretty. I did notice that the colors are a bit duller in XY than in BW, but that's okay. I'm glad I finally have one of my dream shinies, especially since I missed both chances for it during my White BQ.

Speaking of BQs, I'm now up to 700 SRs for Fennekin, and SoulSilver remains at 2700 REs. I'll probably focus on those hunts a little more this week - I haven't fully decided which Pokemon I want to MM for next. I'm thinking I might do Piplup, seeing as it's my favorite Pokemon. But I got a few nice foreign Pokemon from Wonder Trade last week, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Nothing on my hunt for Fletchling yet, but I do hope to get it to shine this week. After fletchling I plan to hunt either a shiny eevee for a sylveon, or getting a shiny flabebe.

i havent had a chance to hunt much lately .I'm now up to 1038 soft resets for chikorita. hoping she shines soon or, atleast something does.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Congrats to all who found shinies, especially those who did over a thousand SR or MM eggs!

Update on my hunt: No Eevee yet, but a great friend of mine traded me there extra Shiny Dedenne! You rock! :D

Scrufox86

Oh my.. well I am a little annoyed because I already have two of these shiny but... I got my third shiny Growlithe! I just wish it had been Pyroar or Ninetales..... but nevermind I will keep going until I get at least one of them. I would prefer Pyroar but either of those two will do just not another Growlithe lol. I think I may do another horde hunt.. possibly after I hatch some more eggs after getting friend safari shiny.

Congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck to all shiny hunters!