• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Secondly, I'm considering starting a BQ on Platinum and it will be my first quest if I do. My questions are; 1) Does your shiny starter count as the first shiny of the quest or would I have to find second poke before the gym? And 2) Any tips~? I know patience will be a huge key and I'm willing to wait, it's just I'm going in blind and wondering if anyone has any advice?

Yes, starter counts. As for tips, just be prepared for really long hunts. Also, do research on your targets beforehand to avoid falling. Look out for stuff like Whirlwind, Roar, self-inflicting moves, etc, so you're not caught off guard. Good luck. :]

-------------------

I see Storm_Dragoon's luck is still OP, gratz on the Ekans! Gratz on all the recent shinies as well.

Phase 5 for Scatterbug is at 2.2k and going strong! I'm feeling pretty motivated for it despite all the phases. I've hatched about 360 eggs for Spritzee so far, hopefully it hatches soon, I can't wait to start MMing for the CH. :]

Good luck everyone!

ArdhiS

Congratulation to everyone who got shinies since my last post
i got some shiny news to post here
On thursday, i got shiny maractus from friend safari, and she has water absorb as her ability, and since it learn sunny day so COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETED 1/3 :D
On saturday night, i got shiny noibat from friend safari, finally i got him after getting 3 shiny sliggoo, 1 shiny fraxure, and 1 shiny gabite :D,
And today, i hacthed shiny carbink after only 160 eggs
Well, that's all, good luck to everyone on your hunt, especially the master on trio bird and cphris on giratina and ho-oh :) :)

Last edited:

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
The answer to both of your questions is "Yes".

Yes, you can still MM if one of the parents is Ditto. It doesn't matter if Ditto is foreign or if it's yours - as long as you have two parents from different languages, you can MM.

Yes, the Shiny Charm DOES affect MMing, raising the chances from 1/512 to 1/456 according to research done on Smogon. The Shiny Charm in-game text says, "in the wild", but this is actually just a bad translation from Japanese to English on Game Freak's part.

Just a note, I believe the shiny charm takes it from 1 in 683 (6/4096) to 1 in 445 (9/4096) according to that research (sadly someone messed with the spreadsheet and the results appear to have disappeared but last I checked that's what it was on), but yes, otherwise that's correct. The Japanese text doesn't mention "in the wild" which is why they went and did the research. But as we've seen in this thread, rates mean little :p

Speaking of, did 100 eggs of Seedot. Add that to the 600 of Klefki and the 120+ of Kabuto and 130+ of various pokemon I bred with the Japanese ditto before and no shinies between the lot of them that's nearing on, if not over, 1000 with no reply. Oh well, it has to shine eventually!

Last edited:

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies!

I did a little bit more hunting last night, my total SRs for Lugia now at 19,978. Will probably hit 20,000 soon.

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hey everybody! Congratulations to everyone on their latest shinies (uuuh, Storm_Dragoon, I'm jealous, Ekans is one of my future targets)!
As for me, well... breaking news! :D

Yesterday, I decided to seriously hunt for Mudkip. And with ShinyTwins178 making a stream, I thought this would be a great opportunity to spend this time hunting with many other hunters. After Brooke's stream was over, I went on Mem0Delivery's stream to get to know him more and have fun for about 45 minutes. So shoutout to them! Unfortunately for me, nothing shone and I decided to go to bed. On my way upstairs (I was still soft resetting for Mudkip), I saw a purple mudfish with a red star attached to it! I really had a funny reaction but I just couldn't believe it... I was only soft resetting slowly for 3 weeks and now... wow! Oh, and the same french HeartGold game as Kyogre, peeps! :)

[IMG139]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/759814ShinyMudkip.png[/IMG139]

It's adorable! <3 My first shiny on my full-batch challenge has been obtained!
I nicknamed him Kovu (if it was a female, I would've gone for Kiara) and he's Serious nature, which is my favorite nature but I wish I had a benefical nature for once... Oh well! I can't check his IVs yet because I don't want to level him up in HeartGold (and he's gonna stay there for quite a while) and give him some random EVs. Un peu vaniteux is the Somewhat vain french counterpart. I checked it and I believe he has a perfect IV in Special Defense. He's probably going to be an offensive Swampert but who knows!
The video on Youtube.

[IMG139]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/788795ShinyMudkipSparkles.png[/IMG139]

Next up is Magnemite! Still deciding if I should go for it on Route 38 or on Route 11... Is there a difference ?

Good luck you guys! Especially for Supremacy, Cpchris, TheMaster327, Roseheart95, Shadowkrow and all the others!

I'm not telling how she's going to function on my team, since someone who lurks on this thread has challenged me to a battle when I finish this team, and I'm not spoiling my strategy :p

I really don't know who it is... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I haven't been able to do any hunting lately. I've been too busy with my university assignments. Since those will be handed in on friday I'll have a lot more time to hunt for some shinies. Got lots of targets I want but I'm going to start with a fresh one (0 eggs) which will be a shiny HA Furret. After that I think I'll try for my fourth shiny Zorua (fourth time lucky hopefully) and then for other targets I really want like Ekans, Mienfoo, another HA Treecko, HA Chespin and HA Sandshrew.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts, especially to TheMaster327 on one of the Kanto birds.

Ratpigeon

Shiny Amaura for me!!! Those big green eyes are gorgeous O.O He hatched on the 191st egg, and got a perfect HP stat from random stat parents (I wasn't IV Breeding him) :), and apparently also a Community Hunt target (learns hail at lvl 38).
70 eggs left over... maybe, just maybe...

Anyway, good luck to all the other shiny hunters, and congratulations to all the shiny catchers!

PokeAmi

I have been wanting a shiny Flabébé/Floette(blue, red or white) for a while now. First I tried to find one in Friend Safari. Used days and didn't get a single shiny. I even have the shiny charm, but I don't have any better luck with it. I decided to try Chain for it instead...I had bad Luck...I tried chaining for days, but I was just unlucky even if I followed the "rules" right.
But I finally got it two days ago. But it had a orange flower. And I wanted a blue, red or white one T_T ....But what happens today...I accidentally encountered a shiny red-flower Floette in Friend Safari! O_O Why didn't it appear sooner!? But I'm happy :D

Floette (Red Flower) - Symbiosis - 31 Ivs in Defense, Sp.Defense and Speed. Naughty nature(ugh.)

Congratz to all shinies and good Luck with certain and future shiny hunts!

Growlie19

More shiny news from me! While still farming Leftovers from Pickup, a shiny Foongus appeared! She has a relaxed nature with a perfect HP IV. I decided to name her Blushroom.

Congrats to everyone else on their finds, and good luck to everyone hunting! :)

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
Yes, starter counts. As for tips, just be prepared for really long hunts. Also, do research on your targets beforehand to avoid falling. Look out for stuff like Whirlwind, Roar, self-inflicting moves, etc, so you're not caught off guard. Good luck. :]

Thanks, it was the minor things I wasn't sure about so thank for clearing it up. I'll start SR'ing for a shiny Turtwig now ^^

KossBirro

Novice Shiny Hunter
/This is such a cool Thread!!! I have a Shiny Clauncher I got from Chain fishing, and I have a Shiny Marowak with Belly Drum, Ice Punch, and Fire punch!!! Also, does it help your chances of getting a shiny if you breed a foreign Pokemon with another foreign pokemon?

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

/This is such a cool Thread!!! I have a Shiny Clauncher I got from Chain fishing, and I have a Shiny Marowak with Belly Drum, Ice Punch, and Fire punch!!! Also, does it help your chances of getting a shiny if you breed a foreign Pokemon with another foreign pokemon?

The lowest odds for breeding is MM with shiny charm. MMing is the same if you use American x Japanese or German x Japanese on an English game.

--
I have collected 210 eggs, think I'm going to get two more boxes worth and then hatch them. Hoping my Squirtle is in there! But with the luck I had after my 2.1k gligar hunt... It should have ran out by now lol

Was thinking about my SS BQ, I haven't been playing it since I got the shiny Ditto. I need to trade up a few levels for the next two gym leaders, but I'm not in the mood to train. I was thinking about my next hunts.. I have Gastly in the Sprout Tower at night with a 85% encounter rate I believe.. I have the route right under the Safari Zone for Vulpix at night lower encounter rate but so many pokemon are there. Last night I was thinking maybe geodude? He's 80ish% in the one cave and I have another DS and HG I can trade him for evolution.

There are soooo many good pokemon to SR in SSHG. x.x I want to SR Lugia, Suicune, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Torchic, maybe one of the birds.. Too many! It's going to be a LONG game xD

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Sorry to hear about the Rattata, ClipOwl =\ How’d it happen?

Eh... I was hanging around at a friend's house, and he inadvertently caused me to run away from it.
I'll be the first to admit it's kind of a stupid loss, but I'll get it back.

After getting Raikou(who I named Baihu), I had no idea what to hunt for my 6th target, but rovert suggested Ekans in the Game Corner, so I went with that. I've been sick with the flu for the better part of the week, and I've been feeling quite miserable, so I wasn't hunting much. After lazing around all day I picked up my DS and started to hunt.

Not even 100 SRs later, when I was scrolling through the Ekans, I saw a flash of gold:

Shiny Ekans! She was the 4th Ekans in my party, and I almost SRd out of habit! I was surprised to say the least, I figured after my Raikou hunt was so fast that I'd slowly get shinies, but this BQ has been unreal :).

More pics:

Trainer ID
Sparkles

As of right now, I'm training Ekans(who I named Medusa) to match the rest of my team, then it's onwards to my 7th Badge Quest target, Electrode. Only 2 more shinies to go and I can finally finish a Badge Quest(for once :p).

Congrats to new shinies everyone! Wish you'd get a darn demon bird soon Master, cause you definitely deserve one! Also those struggling with hunts, hope your targets shine soon :D.

Dude, you have like, the most insane luck.

---

Did some SRs for badge quest starters over the past couple days. I'm at 400 in HGSS, then I did a few hundred for a Squirtle, and also started my White badge quest with about 37 resets for Tepig. Hoping either Squirtle or something in HGSS shines soon.

Congratulations to everyone with shinies since my last post, and good luck to everyone hunting!

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
After getting Raikou(who I named Baihu), I had no idea what to hunt for my 6th target, but rovert suggested Ekans in the Game Corner, so I went with that. I've been sick with the flu for the better part of the week, and I've been feeling quite miserable, so I wasn't hunting much. After lazing around all day I picked up my DS and started to hunt.

Not even 100 SRs later, when I was scrolling through the Ekans, I saw a flash of gold:

Shiny Ekans! She was the 4th Ekans in my party, and I almost SRd out of habit! I was surprised to say the least, I figured after my Raikou hunt was so fast that I'd slowly get shinies, but this BQ has been unreal :).

More pics:

Trainer ID
Sparkles

As of right now, I'm training Ekans(who I named Medusa) to match the rest of my team, then it's onwards to my 7th Badge Quest target, Electrode. Only 2 more shinies to go and I can finally finish a Badge Quest(for once :p).

Congrats to new shinies everyone! Wish you'd get a darn demon bird soon Master, cause you definitely deserve one! Also those struggling with hunts, hope your targets shine soon :D.

...*clears throat* You sir (Or madam) have some crazy luck. ...*rubs 3DS on head* Thank-you...now hopefully I will get some of your luck.

Anywho, with my girlfriend returning home, making me feel better and knowing she is alright, and my confidence building...I still haven't beating Clay. Any helpful suggestions on this one. XD
No, actually, I have been hunting in a Normal Safari, with my Male Sylveon out front, trying to get myself a hale of Shiny Eevee. Maybe I might get a good Adamant one with its hiden ability so I can use him as a Flareon. (I LOVE Flareon, by the way)
...In before 7 Lilipups and 5 Minccino.

...Now back to Clay.

--edit...but a bad one--
Aaaaaaand my modivation was shot again. I f*@&%# HATE Asbergers. And being a "kid"
Can I PLEASE just be 18 now?!

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

I collected 9 boxes of eggs...
10 eggs into the third box, SHINY SQUIRTLE <3

So happy! There is A LOT of firsts on this hatch lol

1. It's A GIRL! My first 12.5% female shiny <3
2. Not only is it a girl, she hatched with her hidden ability Rain Dish!!!
3. THE BEST PART FOR ME she hatched 5IV FLAWLESS!! 31/xx/31/31/31/31!!
4. She has all four egg moves! Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Fake Out, and Muddy Water!

She was so quick to hatch as well! She was in the 3rd box, 64th egg (give or take 5-10) meaning she hatched in JUST 188 eggs!! If only I stopped at 4 boxes when I started getting eggs lol I still have so many to hatch xD

I'll edit pictures in later :3
CH complete 1 of 3!

Last edited:

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
Well another 125 Seedot eggs hatched and no reds among them.

But I did think about an idea for May's CH. Obviously the 1st of May is May Day in a lot of countries. Taking "May Day" the term, rather than the holiday, as being a call of distress I though about maybe a two parter. One for Pokemon with the move Helping Hand and one with Assist?

Scrufox86

Oh well an unexpected surprise... I am in a bug safari hunting for shiny Paras and I found a shiny Vivillon! A little disappointed the shiny difference is very little but a shiny is a shiny.

Congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck shiny hunters!

TheMaster327

Day 4 has come to pass. STILL NO BIRD! Starting to get fairly irritated, as I've put 46-48 hours into those 4 days, and still got nothing out of them. At least I have 3 days left before I go back to work, so maybe in that 36-hour hunting period, I'll get something...

MachoCheeze

Uh-huh, honey
I was IV breeding for a Dragon Dance Tropius over Spring Break and hatched myself a 5IV Shiny Adamant Tropius! Sadly she had a perfect IV in Sp. Attack instead of Speed but I was still pretty elated over it. The only other shiny I've hatched while trying to IV was a Frillish I named Mrs. Puff. She had 3IVs!

Over playing XY I've obtained a shiny Swirlix, Clawitzer, Tangrowth, Qwilfish, Audino, and Aipom. :)