• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I'm now up to 480 eggs for Mawile. Still no shiny but I did manage to hatch one with 6IVs which I've put into Day-care with my 6IV japanese Smeargle. Hopefully I have better luck with this pair than I did with my old one (Japanese 5IV Mawile and English 6IV Ditto).

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey everyone! Remember me? ;) it's been a while since I've been on. Since getting honedge, I have gotten another like 2 or 3 fraxures, Trapinch, diggersby, and a shelgon (with rock head unfortunately). Then just yesterday i gotta shiny noibat. I am now working on MMing beldum and hunting for Hawlucha. Praying that I get beldum soon as I am over 900 eggs now.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny lately and for those who are still working on that stubborn Hunt, you will get it soon! :)

Last edited:

x-sayrie-x

I'm not much of a shiny hunter--I'm notoriously bad at PokeRadar chaining--but I tried out chain fishing and in under 50 hooks I landed myself a shiny Clauncher. Very happy with her <3

I've also done MMing before, but I'm afraid I'm not very patient with it XD

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Congrats to everyone on all recent shinies, especially those three Mild legiebirds!
In one of my SR breaks between report writing today I was lucky enough to see a little red cyndaquil when rotating Elm's machine. I was actually just thinking it would be fun to get it on the 510th SR considering how 510 is a bit of a milestone number in pokemon generally, and there it popped up on the 510th time. I was actually kind of hoping for totodile but cyndaquil was my second choice as I already have a shiny chikorita in my X file that I got on a diamond cartridge a friend gave me. Anyway I feel extremely lucky getting it so fast and only after two days, with only 17 % chance rate at 510 resets. It's also my first shiny in heartgold ever :>
Feels fun to finally start the adventure and get to walk around a little!

Good luck to everyone on their upcoming shinies, especially those doing it in the previous generations!

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
My first ever encounter with a shiny occurred in my first run through of my Diamond version. It was a bidoof and I had no Pokeballs with me so I just had to watch it die with no hopes of capturing it... Bad day. Since then I did another play through of Ruby version and in that I encountered a wild Machop as well as a wild Linoone that were both shiny and was able to capture both.

Rotifer

Congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies!

Well, unfortunately, I'm still on the hunt for a shiny starly on my Y game... and this terribly frustrating little brown bird has now overtaken charmander as my longest masuda hunt ever.
Part of me knew this would happen because it's starly, and the universe seems to want this to be the one shiny I can't have, but I'm still fed up with it.
I mean, I'm now on 1,665 eggs for this stupid bird! I'm way over twice the odds!

So this leads me to a question... what's the longest hunt you guys have had to endure in X and Y?
How do you put up with crazy long hunts?

Good luck to everyone hunting, especially those going through shiny droughts like me :)

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
So this leads me to a question... what's the longest hunt you guys have had to endure in X and Y?

in X and Y? my shiny Zorua, it took 1800 eggs, but my desire to have one was enough for me to push through and achieve my goal! that six month absol MM has yet to give me anything for my effort however...

anyways, 2 more shinies, Pikachu and Electrode, decided to appear, however I was hoping for, and am still hunting, a Galvantula, so hopefully he shines soon as well

congrats on all new shinies since my last post

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
A random shinny chansey poped up while i was hunting lucky eggs, so i captured it. Sassy 31iv in Hp Spa and Spdef...while also holding a lucky egg. I already got my 5iv chansey and blissey with eggmoves so this one will be rooting in the boxes, its nice tough i finally caotured a shinny chansey kind of wanted one since one escaped from me in leaf green safari zone. A trophy i must say.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

For XY, Fennekin definitely takes the cake(11.9k SRs, and those SRs are brutal >.<!). Even outside of XY, it's one of my longest hunts; second only to my female Combee hunt. I just had to keep reminding myself that it'll shine eventually. Reading posts on here and watching shiny Fennekin vids on YT kept me motivated. Also, watching movies, listening to music, talking to friends while hunting definitely helped me from going insane on that hunt. Good luck on your Starly, don't give up!

Still no shinies for me yet. Route 10 is at ~4.5k REs, so over odds on that hunt. Spritzee is around 1.1k eggs, so that is also over odds. Abundant Shrine is around 1.2k REs which isn't too much, but I have the shiny charm on this game, so I'm sorta close to going over the odds here too. So yea, luck isn't on my side at the moment but none of these hunt are at crazy high numbers anyway so it's not much of a bother. I just hope I can complete the CH this month.

Gratz on the recent shinies, especially pokemaster13 on that crazy fast Moltres! Also, too bad about that Starly, LullabyVullaby.. hopefully Chimchar shines soon. :]

Good luck everyone!

Rachnera

One With Fandoms
I found a Pokemon HeartGold on the street the other day, and when I turned it on, it had the event shiny dog trio. They may be from an event, but I never went to that event. I feel bad for whoever dropped their HeartGold.

penguin100

Avid Pokemon Master
I found a Pokemon HeartGold on the street the other day, and when I turned it on, it had the event shiny dog trio. They may be from an event, but I never went to that event. I feel bad for whoever dropped their HeartGold.

I love it when I find old copies of pokemon games that other people lost!
I once found a copy of Pearl outside my school(on the playground) and it had a shiny empoleon AND a shiny buizel in it! I was happy

Anyway, I have taken a break from my breeding for my friend and have started to MM breed for Skiddo. I think it would be more worth it in the end anyway.
good luck to everyone on your current and future hunts

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
I haven't been around in MONTHS. Um... Hello again?!
With the release of X and Y it got a bit intense for me, so I left to hunt at my own pace and enjoy the games!
But I got REALLY GREAT NEWS today and I figured I'd share it! Maybe some of the old "regulars" I occasionally conversed with will see this and know what I'm talking about, haha >3<
Please do PM me or leave a visitor message if you do remember me, since I don't know when I'll next check this thread... though I'll try!

And no, it's not Sandile... I'm close to 25,000 now I believe, help me ;A;

Anyways, since I last posted here (or updated my sig at least) I have found myself a:
~ Gulpin (random horde encounter on X)
~ Noibat (1782 eggs on X)
~ Chinchou (chain fishing on X)
~ Pansage (random encounter on X)
~ Doduo (friend safari on X)

Yes I finally got Noibat ^^
And today, the real holy grail... In an undetermined, by definitely less than 200, number of soft resets... SHINY PORYGON ON POKéMON PLATINUM!
I decided in the end to abandon my 10,000+ honey tree hunt and my badge quest and just make my way to Veilstone with my shiny Monferno and obtained my favourite shiny of all time :3 :3 :3

So, I'm extremely happy and ready to pick Sandile up again... And maybe Totodile too. Gotta get those 'diles!
Congrats to EVERYONE who obtained a shiny since my last post, every single one of you, and good luck to you all too!
I will be updating my signature now, but I will leave my Porygon-Z proudly in place <3

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Forgot to ask: Did I miss anyone completing all three parts of the CH? I feel like there should have been more than 2 people in the OP by now

yeah, it feels strange that we still don't have more than 2 people.

Then again, people's luck varies. I finished the CH, got a Shiny Froakie, and got two Shiny Goomy in the first two weeks of this month, and now I already hatched 350 eggs without any shiny :p

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I got the Shiny Charm not too long ago, went into the FS and in less than 100 REs I found myself a Shiny Trapinch (With it's HA, although that means nothing for Flygon).

Congrats to all that have gotten shinies since last time I posted and good luck hunting those who are still to get their shiny.

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
I was hanging out trying to get a timid/compound eyes scatterbug to breed for a competitive one as well as trying to thief a light ball off of a pikachu. I wasn't paying any attention, then BAM a lighter than normal weedle shows up. I guess that ends my drought xD

I'm not overly worried about it and will be keeping it as a trophy of sorts. It's a brave nature, so (thankfully) the timid sync failed

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/...8-D6BA-4C3A-9D63-2C1F1B06107E_zpsjbptjlht.jpg

Last edited:

TheGreaterLucario

Hey guys, I have a question about the starters in HeartGold/SoulSilver: If one is Shiny, will its sprite on the top screen at the starter selection screen be Shiny, or do I have to get it, then check its stats?

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies!

Well, unfortunately, I'm still on the hunt for a shiny starly on my Y game... and this terribly frustrating little brown bird has now overtaken charmander as my longest masuda hunt ever.
Part of me knew this would happen because it's starly, and the universe seems to want this to be the one shiny I can't have, but I'm still fed up with it.
I mean, I'm now on 1,665 eggs for this stupid bird! I'm way over twice the odds!

Good luck to everyone hunting, especially those going through shiny droughts like me :)

My Bergmite hunt would've been within the odds, but after I messed up it probably took another 700-800 REs in the FS, which was over the odds nonetheless.

ohjeezitskim

Hey guys, I have a question about the starters in HeartGold/SoulSilver: If one is Shiny, will its sprite on the top screen at the starter selection screen be Shiny, or do I have to get it, then check its stats?

Yes only game that does this.
---
Will be working on vulpix more, did 120 eggs yesterday but no luck yet!

Cheeze IOW

Am I the only one who goes like 4 hours in the friend safari finding nothing then finding 2 in quick succession? Happened to me 3 times now. Found a shiny Noibat and Inkay within literally 5 minutes of each other today.

Reactions: LLR

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to LopunnyBunny on Hoothoot, Cyberra on Klefki (maybe?), Roseheart95 on Lugia, Sir Marly on Cyndaquil, Keyblade_Cub on Honedge, Eclair~ on Zorua, Iwanuq on Chatot and Sandile, KantoPkmnMaster on Sneasel, maldoror on Petilil and Combee, The Prince of May on Pumpkaboo, TheMaster327 on Bonsly, zozo on Feebas, Storm_Dragoon on Torchic, TheMaster327 on Bonsly, Senrab on Abra, pokemaster13 on Moltres, dunpeal on Gastly, Solfatara on Cyndaquil, Lunafloon on Noibat and Pansage and Porygon, rovert on Weedle, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks, Shadowkrow :)

Such terrible luck finding that Starly, LullabyVullaby =\ Made for a sad video. Hope it’s Chimchar next time!

---------------

So I’ve been chaining more Chanseys hoping to get a good stock of Lucky Eggs. So far I’ve gotten 5 more Lucky Eggs.

I was chaining this morning though, and my chain just sort of ended. One second the chaining music was playing, the next it was starting up the route theme. Apparently even just walking near the edge can end your chain? I knew that walking out of the grass can end the chain, and that going into a patch on the edge can end the chain, but I’ve never heard that simply walking to the edge can end it. I do it all the time in the few times I chain and it’s never happened before.

So for people who are familiar with Platinum chaining, is it a typical thing to have a chain end by walking to the edge of the patch, or is it pretty rare? It’s never happened to me before this time, though I also don’t chain much…

----------------

Haven’t hunted a ton the last couple days. Just a little bit. Mainly just wanted to post for all the other shinies people found, since it’s been a day or two since I last posted :p

Good luck, everyone!