• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Okay I'm posting again because this is just crazy.

So first I reclaimed the shiny Rattata that I'd lost as my second SS BQ shiny. I found him in only 1576 encounters, which was crazy fast compared to the 16k+ encounters of the first Rattata, and it was super exciting when I heard the sparkles (I missed seeing him appear). I ended up named him Iwan.

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/25nGFZp.jpg[/IMG300]

Then, not even an hour later, I'm training Iwan up to match Rhys' level and I come across a completely random shiny Pidgey!

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/IVZR1K0.jpg[/IMG300]

I named him Caradoc, so I guess I'm going with a Welsh theme for my nicknames. I'm also going to count him as my third BQ shiny since I need to catch up to AquaRegisteel anyway. >_>

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/4AdMLxO.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/FQshZc6.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/nHh2T48.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/cetvrdm.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/7kBhbhI.jpg[/IMG300]

I love that they're both impetuous and silly.

Well, congratulations to all the new shinies I haven't commented on and good luck to everyone hunting, especially to the longer hunts!

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
Well another 125 Seedot eggs hatched and no reds among them.

But I did think about an idea for May's CH. Obviously the 1st of May is May Day in a lot of countries. Taking "May Day" the term, rather than the holiday, as being a call of distress I though about maybe a two parter. One for Pokemon with the move Helping Hand and one with Assist?

Well, I'll quote myself if you want an alternative. Not sure about doing two 'move' related CHs in a row, that was all :p

mellowrush

Well, I'd say kyle did a heck of a job in that post (even if it's a page old I want to congratulate you, really), but no one seems to pull back from their hunts, good job everyone!
Today no sparkles for me, I'm currently hunting for a shiny oddish in a grass safari, but after an hour or so nothing yet (I saw one from a friend and it's extremely cute)
I think I'll scale down a bit my video game time in the upcoming future and rather play with only one game at a time...graduation day is not so far ahead and I don't want to be late ^_^
That means my pokemon black BQ is on hold till further notice...And my shiny hunt will be increasingly reduced...I need to focus for few more months and then I'll be back at full speed!

I'd love to join you for May's community hunt but as I said I think I won't have much time...well see what I can do :)
Have fun with your shiny hunts and quest, I'll be sure to report any new findings!

Romanticide

Congrats to everyone who've acquired shinies since my last post! Seems as though many are either suffering from a drought or hitting the shiny jackpot :p Unfortunately, the former applies to me.

No luck with Tepig ,though I haven't actually messed with W2 much anyway. I'm thinking about taking a break from it for a little while and trying a non-SR hunt. Riolu is what I will most likely go for. I'm already breeding for a competitive one, so maybe I could hit two birds with one stone, so to speak. Problem is, though, I want a female shiny riolu (I have a particular character I want to name it after.) I don't know the specifics, but I do know the chances of hatching one isn't too good.
I don't really want to, but if I don't get one by the time I'm done breeding for my competitive riolu I'll search for one in the friend safari with a cute charmer. I don't have the patience to endure X-months breeding for a very low chance shiny.

------

I really like the idea of May's CH being May's pokemon! Perhaps, if it's too limiting for some, we could extend it to all of the female partners Ash has had? That would give a decent variety.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Nothing new for me. As for the next CH, I think that if we did a three parter as in I think both the May's pokemon, Flower pokemon, and one other. That would be good considering as AquaRegisteel pointed out, that there are only a few pokemon to choose from for May's pokemon.

Anyway my Platinum BQ is at 875 REs and I've decided to hunt in Reflection Cave in Y, where I found my first shiny of this game, and I'm at 530 REs there.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially ClipOwl on reclaiming Rattata and on Pidgey, and Kyle Clarthy on the team of shinies(since there are six of them). Also good luck to all ongoing hunts, especially Cpchris on Growlithe, TheMaster327 on the bird trio, and Supremacy on your hunts.

TheMaster327

I had an awesome idea for a CH. How about Team Rocket's Pokémon throughout the years. I'm sure they've had a fair few evolutionary lines in the time they've been in the anime.

LullabyVullaby

Shiny Collector
Already passed 1k Tyrunts seen for my next badge quest target it was nice of my friend to give me 2 of his fossils. As for my Chimchar hunt I'm at about 4622 SRs not expecting anything in this hunt soon even though it is quite fun to have a time consuming hunt. Hopefully I can catch up to Supremacy in my Y badge quest soon then things will be really interesting :). Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

mifune

Just a thought for mays CH. Since the first Sunday is the 4th and of course it's Star Wars day, (May the 4th be with you) what about a space themed one. Example the pokemon that evolve with a moonstone (6 of those not including pre-egos or post evo's) Staryu and Starmie (both have Star in name) Solrock and Lunatone, representing earth and sun. I am sure there is more just throwing this out there. Not trying to overstep my bounds or anything.

Dangertrout

I'm willing to help out with the CH if you need it, I've got too much time on my hands right now anyway.

It would be awesome if you could work out with everyone what to hunt next month and then let me know so I can post it in the OP.

Also, I am so jealous of your luck in SS. My BQs are stuck right now, as I just don't have the motivation (or time really) to get them done.

also also: another shiny camerupt appeared this afternoon :p
Still no wooper tho >.<

Keyblade_Cub

Started breeding Fennekin today and on the 39th egg I got a shiny which I was not expecting. The IV's aren't what I wanted 3/6, but I'm going to continue for a bit to find a better one. Do this for probably another day then start on the 5th gen starters.

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
It would be awesome if you could work out with everyone what to hunt next month and then let me know so I can post it in the OP.

Also, I am so jealous of your luck in SS. My BQs are stuck right now, as I just don't have the motivation (or time really) to get them done.

also also: another shiny camerupt appeared this afternoon :p
Still no wooper tho >.<

Haha, it was some insane luck, though to be fair I did have to ruin my first attempt at this particular BQ before I got it . =P
Congratulations on your Camerupt, and good luck on finding Wooper and with your badge quests when you're able to hunt for them!

Also, thank you for the congrats, Shadowkrow.
---

Alright, so I guess the best way to do this is through a vote of what people have suggested.

The options are:
A Mother's Day themed hunt
Nidoran(F), Chansey/Blissey, Kangaskhan, Jynx, Miltank, Illumise, Latias, Wormadam, Vespiquen, Mandibuzz

A "May Day" hunt (One Pokemon with Helping Hand, and one with Assist)
(Helping Hand)
Nidoran (M/F), Nidorina, Nidorino, Growlithe, Chansey, Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Marill, Azumarill, Hoppip, Sunkern, Shuckle, Tyrogue, Miltank, Zigzagoon, Shroomish, Makuhita, Skitty, Azurill, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Latias, Latios, Chimchar, Shinx, Cherubi, Cherrim, Happiny, Gallade, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Munna, Woobat, Audino, Leavenny, Cottonee, Petilil, Minccino, Cinccino, Solosis, Alomomola, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Meowstic, Binacle, Clauncher, Dedenne
(Assist)
Meowth, Drowzee, Sentret, Sneasel, Skitty, Spinda, Chimchar, Glameow, Purugly, Purrloin, Liepard, Espurr

May's Pokemon
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Squirtle, Wartortle, Eevee, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Skitty, Munchlax, Glaceon

A flower-themed hunt
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Gloom, Vileplume, Meganium, Bellossom, Skiploom, Sunkern, Sunflora, Roselia, Budew, Roserade, Wormadam (grass cloak), Cherrim, Shaymin, Petilil, Lilligant, Maractus, Deerling, Flabebe, Floette, Florges

Team Rocket's Pokemon
Ekans, Arbok, Meowth, Growlithe, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Lickitung, Koffing, Weezing, Magikarp, Yanma, Wobbuffet, Wurmple, Cascoon, Dustox, Cacnea, Seviper, Chimecho, Mime Jr., Carnivine, Yanmega, Woobat, Yanmask, Amoonguss, Frillish, Inkay, Pumpkaboo

A space-themed hunt
Nidoran (M/F), Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidorino, Nidoking, Clefairy, Clefable, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Staryu, Starmie, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Skitty, Delcatty, Solrock, Lunatone, Deoxys, Munna, Musharna, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Kyurem

A "Cinco de Mayo" ghost hunt
Every ghost type qualifies so this one doesn't really need a list

A two or three-parter consisting of the above

So if everyone could vote we can see which is the most popular by, say, the 29th, I can send the results to Dangertrout before May actually begins.

Or if you wanna discuss it, like what the hunts themselves should consist of, that's cool too.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Hm, so I've got a new shiny, but I'm not overly excited to have it.

Still unsure of whether to continue Tornadus or not, I did some SR's today anyway. I remembered a Swinub I needed to EV train, so I stopped hunting and did that. While EV training for Speed, I ran into a horde of 4 Seviper and 1 Zangoose, with one Seviper being shiny. After at least 6 turns of the Seviper spamming Swagger on each other, Swinub went down so that I could preserve the EV's. Caught the Seviper and checked that it had Bold nature, which isn't exactly great. Seviper is an amazing shiny, but I MM'ed a Modest one in January of last year, so I'm not really ecstatic about this second one. It's somewhat annoying that I found it, though, if only because it happened shortly after I stopped SR'ing for Tornadus.

Still, it's a shiny, so I'm not going to ignore catching it, even though I wouldn't have been bothered if it did get KO'ed because of Swagger. Guess that's one more shiny to add to the list of duplicates. With finals coming around, I won't be hunting much at all, so I still don't know if I'll be continuing Tornadus or not.

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Today I managed to get through a few boxes of gible. I didn't do nearly as many as I would have liked, but 3 is more than nothing xD

The rant/offer for people to PM me so I can get more familiar with those in the shiny hunting community is still open (as I only got one PM about it before it got eaten by a new page showing up)

Congrats on all the shinies! After I found my shiny Drowzee, I went back to the normal friend safari to try to find a Lillipup or an Eevee, but after 416 REs an Audino shined for me! She's super cute! I think I am going back to my MM Trapinch hunt now. 555 eggs hatched so far and no luck.

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to Dangertrout on Camerupt and Palpitoad, maldoror on Hariyama and Scatterbug, Psychic on Cloyster, Laurelai on Spinda, Iwanuq on Eevee, Keyblade_Cub on Froakie and Fennekin, Kyle Clarthy on that plethora of shinies, Cyberra on Deerling, TVDex on Sawsbuck, StrongBad456 on Butterfree, Genfried on Charmeleon and Ponyta, AquaRegisteel on Gulpin, ClipOwl on Rattata and Pidgey, and missastronaut on Audino!

No shiny news for me yet. I was hoping to find a shiny over the weekend while doing some triple hunting, but nothing has shone so far. I ended up starting a SR hunt for Chimchar on Diamond, which is at 145 SRs. Sudowoodo is at 1,025 SRs, and Viridian Forest is nearing ~4,500 REs. I'm actually having fun with these hunts, though, so I'm prepared if they turn into longer hunts.

Good luck on all of your hunts!

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to CallMyName on Carvanha, nickM on Cyndaquil, Greninja VI on Scyther, LullabyVullaby on Bunnelby, Keyblade_Cub on Chespin and Froakie, Ajduk on Mawile, I, Pink Elephant on Misdreavus and Spiritomb and Tyrunt, nickM on Virizion, Rio! on Rufflet, Kingzard on Chikorita and Totodile and Pidgey and Nidoran and Eevee, maldoror on Hariyama, Keyblade_Cub on Froakie, Kyle Clarthy on Kabuto and Drifloon and both Piloswine and Cranidos, Cyberra on Deerling, Genfried on Poochyena, AquaRegisteel on Gulpin, ClipOwl on Rattata and Pidgey, Keyblade_Cub on Fennekin, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks, mellowrush, Shadowkrow, ClipOwl, Supremacy, LullabyVullaby, and pokemaster13 :)

---------------

I haven’t done much hunting this weekend. A bit busy with work and other stuff…Hopefully I’ll have more time to hunt in the next few days, and maybe even find a shiny :)

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas and LullabyVullaby)!

ElectricBassClef

Hey guys! Congrats on all the shinies! (Not going to list them all this time.)

I decided to do a special Easter-themed hunt for Speed Boost Torchic between Good Friday and Easter Monday. On the Saturday, I got a shiny Blaze Torchic after 238 eggs, which I decided to keep as a Torchic. I kept going for the Speed Boost Torchic but it didn't decide to shine over the long weekend, so I put the hunt on hold while I finished the CH. Today, after 1303 eggs, I got it! It's shiny, it's got Speed Boost, and it's female! My first shiny female starter! I'm going to have a shiny female Speed Boost Blaziken! Yes! Pic: Cannonbolt.JPG

I hope you all have luck as good as mine has been lately at MMing!

jellywolffy

<Hunting
Long time since I have been here, so nobody should remember me :p
I am deciding what to hunt recently.

But I found my siggie crashed, which used to be a shiny card.
Are we still able to have those or is there any new regulations on pictures in signitures?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Someone please explain how the google docs table in Smogon's MM + SC research thread is supposed to be read, which one is the current shiny chance?

But I found my siggie crashed, which used to be a shiny card.
Are we still able to have those or is there any new regulations on pictures in signitures?

You still can have pics on your sig, it's just that the site you use is now blocked in this forum.

So reupload your sig to somewhere else, photobucket for example, and use the new URL in your sig.

I was wondering, with the odds being so much more in your favor this gen, do you guys feel like they cheapened the experience?

Nope, because it still greatly relies on luck.

Kingzard

Shiny Hunter
Wow I just started this hunt just an hour ago. After 238 SRs at the Game Corner, a Shiny Sandshrew appeared on my SoulSilver! I was resetting 5 sandshrews at a time and she was the last of the batch. I actually had my fingers on start & select before I noticed.

Here's a pic of her: shinysandshrew.jpg

Anyways I'm gonna keep trying at the Game Corner for Ekans and Abra. Good Luck everyone! And congratz on everyone's recent Shinies!

Last edited: