• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just seen the news for the new Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire games, soooo awesssshummmm!!! :D

Cannot wait to see what the graphics are like and shiny hunting too.

I saw some people mention Hoenn.... The information released doesn't say anything about Hoenn, it says a spectacular new world.

Anyway, grats on the new shinies everyone, especially that Electrode, thing looks wicked. :)

I should get back to some FS hunting real soon, gotta get me a Trapinch.

sonjamjams

This game is a huge joke I mean it HAS TO BE when you're breeding for a 5IV HA Torchic (that can't be so hard right?? 99% chance for the spread you want when you hatch 100 eggs) and I have probably hatched ~80-100 eggs and I got a shiny before I got the IV spread I wanted. Oh and that shiny has the wrong ability AND only 4IVs. Of course. Unbelievable.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Just seen the news for the new Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire games, soooo awesssshummmm!!! :D

Cannot wait to see what the graphics are like and shiny hunting too.

I saw some people mention Hoenn.... The information released doesn't say anything about Hoenn, it says a spectacular new world.

Anyway, grats on the new shinies everyone, especially that Electrode, thing looks wicked. :)

I should get back to some FS hunting real soon, gotta get me a Trapinch.

I personally think that the "spectacular new world" part is aimed at those who never played the original versions. I might be wrong but that's what I think. Even when they do come out I'll probably still use X as my shiny hunting game. I don't think I want to have to go through the pain of trying to get the Shiny Charm again. I'll wait and see how many legendaries are available in the remakes before I decide.

Still super excited for them tho :D I think I'll end up trying to find a wild shiny Zangoose in the same area I found my lost one.

EDIT: I might also try and SR for a shiny Groudon when they come out. I wanted to have a legit one after I got rid of the hacked one. Hopefully they're not shiny locked but I have a feeling they will be.

Last edited:

tui

moon upon a stick
The Hoenn remakes look exciting! I just need to get myself a 2/3ds.... And I sort of hope that they increase the odds again. This sounds bizarre but, the challenge is the thing that attracts me to shiny hunting, and the reason why I haven't bothered getting a 3ds and X/Y because I'd probably just get bored lmao. Just not my cup of tea!

I also just assumed that they're remakes because it follows the pattern of all the others? I can't really see why Nintendo would name a completely new adventure after a previous game. Hey, but it makes it more exciting because we don't know what to predict?

Congrats to: TheMaster327 on Murkrow, Navarch on Zigzagoon, maskofsanity1998 on Lampent, Master Leo on Hawlucha and Inkay (I could never grasp chaining myself - miles too frustrating when I constantly mucked up at a chain of 37!), maldoror on Karrablast, Cyberra on Electrode (such an awesome looking shiny o:), Bolt The Cat on Nidoran and Stunky, Greedy Chibi on Ekans (though I really hope you manage to get a perfect one!), Roseheart95 on Chikorita, Misjie on Eevee, nickM on Cyndaquil, and anyone else I might've missed!

As for my own hunts, I've gone over 1k (1072 exactly) for Igglybuff! Not any progress on Cranidos since I've only really felt like egg collecting/hatching the last couple of days. I'm sort of enjoying the thrill of a longer hunt compared to my previous MMs, plus I'm over half odds! First milestone c:

Good luck everyone!

Keovix

Congratulations to everyone on your shinies!

I've been missing this thread for quite a while now, really happy about the R/S remakes :)

I was kinda lazy about updating my legendary hunt but almost a week ago, after 9485 SR's I found shiny Giratina in Platinum, managed to False swipe it after using odor sleuth and baton pass but in the end I had to use the master ball.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/giratina_zps1bb7bcb7.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/DSCN2497_zps4281046f.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/DSCN2496_zpsd974c5bc.jpg

It has Docile nature and these are it's IV's:
HP 20 - 21
Attack 26 - 27
Defense 7 - 8
Spec. Attack 18 - 19
Spec. Defense 20 - 21
Speed 16 - 17

After catching Giratina, I started SR for Dialga in Platinum and Diamond, so far I've done 502 SR's, the Ho-Oh hunt on the other hand has been paused at 2900 SR's in HG&SS, wanna get the Creation Trio first. I've also been fish chaining in Pokemon X and Y, have caught a bunch of Remoraids, 3 Clamperl, 1 Corsola, 1 Alomola and 1 Chinchou, I'm currently chain fishing Carvanha.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

LopunnyBunny

: Please Shine
Guys... I just can't even hunt right now. There's way too much hype going on for ORAS. I found it ironic that I was SRing for my Torchic in Ruby/Sapphire when I found out the news. XD Calling it now, for the November/October Community Hunt we should SR for a shiny starter! I was already planning on buying a 2DS soon so with my 3DS and 2DS I could possibly dual hunt if I decided to get both versions!

A special congrats to Cyberra on getting a not-Klefki. :D

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Nothing new for me. I'm also excited about the new games, and I've even decided that when I get them OR will be the one I'll do a BQ on and AS will be my main.

On my hunts I'm at 23215 REs for my BQ in B2 and 1955 REs for my BQ in Platinum. I found out that I had Pokerus in Platinum and it was to late to spread it to others when I found out.

Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Cyberra on Electrode and TheMaster327 on Murkrow(to bad it's not the way you wanted it though). Also good luck to all on going hunts, especially Cpchris on Growlithe, TheMaster327 on the bird trio, and Dangertrout on your Pearl BQ.

Last edited:

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
So I was deciding what to hunt for my 30th Self Obtained Shiny (A full box) and I was looking at what types I dont have a shiny of yet and I found bug fighting fairy and ghost. So I decided to go into a Bug Safari that contains a Heracross, and if you can see my sig/avatar, you can see I found a shiny Heracross! He has a Gentle Nature and has his HA with a NN of Stagnant. That makes my 30th shiny and I now have a full box of Self Obtained Shiny pokemon! It feels good man.
Grats to all the recent shinies (especially Cyberra on that Electrode) and GL to those hunting (especially Shadowkrow, Cpchirs, and TheMasterr327

TheMaster327

Well, I shall be resuming my bird hunt from tomorrow. As for my next MM, I randomised the number. So it generated 1, from 1-6 to select the generation, and then it selected 71 from 1-151. So if you want to find out what my next MM is, you know what to do...

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to ClipOwl on Carbink, Nerdboyiam on Gulpin, Minun, and Hoppip, mellowrush on Torchic, shinyclauncher1234 on Sandile, Gogoat, and Shuppet, nickM on Eevee and Cyndaquil, TheMaster327 on Murkrow, Navarch on Zigzagoon, maskofsanity1998 on Lampent, Master Leo on Hawlucha and Inkay, maldoror on Karrablast, Cyberra on Electrode, Bolt the Cat on Stunky, Super Pichu Chan on Fennekin, Roseheart95 on Chikorita, Misjie on Eevee, Keovix on Giratina, Zekromaster826 on Heracross, and anyone else I may have missed!

Also, thanks to Keane, LopunnyBunny, and Cpchris for the congrats on Metapod! She's now a level 70 Butterfree, and she will be extremely helpful when I go for Mewtwo next. I'm actually really excited to have Butterfree on my team!

----------------

Wow, I am way pumped for the new games! And I know what you mean, Keane, that was one of my first thoughts as well. I think it would be awesome if they decreased the odds back to where they originally were. I stopped hunting on X because I personally lost interest with the increased odds. But overall, I'm just really excited to find out more about the games!

I guess I need to give some sort of update on shiny hunting, though... Like I said earlier, I'm going to start hunting for Mewtwo soon, most likely tomorrow. Oh, and my Chimchar hunt is at 530 SRs. It's moving along pretty slow haha.

Best of luck to all of you on your hunts!:)

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
All I can say right now, is that hunting is almost impossible when the next set of games is revealed. I can't even type without making silly mistakes. Shuppet and Pumpkaboo have gone over the Safari odds, but oh well I am in no rush.

Creeper

om nom nom
In order to honor these new, beautiful remakes

I will start a Pokemon Sapphire badge quest.

and y'know, if you guys want, we can all do this. Aim to complete a badge quest of R/S to commemorate the new games. The shiny-hunting thread can unite to honor these reamakes of the original wonderous games, count the shiny total, the completed quests. Aim to see all we can do by the the launch date.

EDIT: You don't have to. If enough people really want it they could message their shinies to me, I'll add it all up and send it to you. But still, why not honor these amazing games?
EDIT2: i see what you did there you have a crobat in one BQ and it's driving you "batty"

In Ruby / Sapphire with a dead internal battery or in Emerald, the Random Number Generator always starts in the same place. Because of this, unless you have an early shiny frame, it makes SRing in these games pretty much impossible. You can, however, keep restarting your file until you get one with an early enough frame. When picking your starter, save in front of the pokeball and SR about 50 times, and try to vary the speed at which you spam A at the beginning. If you see a shiny starter or zigzagoon/poochyena in the first battle, you have a file with an early frame and could conceivably SR pokemon throughout the game.

in case people actually go with this, try to RE or hatch pokemon rather than SR. For SR to get a starter, just use above. Works also with Kyogre (if you can get a shiny starter) and etc.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

In order to honor these new, beautiful remakes

I will start a Pokemon Sapphire badge quest.

and y'know, if you guys want, we can all do this. Aim to complete a badge quest of R/S to commemorate the new games. The shiny-hunting thread can unite to honor these reamakes of the original wonderous games, count the shiny total, the completed quests. Aim to see all we can do by the the launch date.

I'm tempted, though I'm already doing two BQs, one of which is driving me batty....
But I'm not tracking anything. I can't even track the current CH properly right now >.<

i was too lazy to look for shinies long today, but real exited about ruby! the most i'v played ruby is on a hacked gba cartridge that stoped wanting to save years ago... hoenn is mostly unfamiliar to me. i'll try to sr for shiny treeko but i'll end up losing my cool after about ten and want to get on with the game, so probably just gonna breed one later on x. but first I want to hatch a shiny cubone :)

LopunnyBunny

: Please Shine
In order to honor these new, beautiful remakes I will start a Pokemon Sapphire badge quest. Aim to complete a badge quest of R/S to commemorate the new games. The shiny-hunting thread can unite to honor these remakes of the original wondrous games, count the shiny total, the completed quests. Aim to see all we can do by the the launch date.

I'm already well into a Ruby/Sapphire Badge Quest for a Shiny Torchic Starter so I'll gladly join you on that. (Perfect timing it would seem)

Hope others join in as well and good luck! :)

Bambo

Super excited about the new games also curious what are people's longest shiny hunts in the friend safari so far I'm having real rotten luck I just decided to count my RE this morning and I've reached 500+ (sometimes I get into the grove and forget to keep counting) plus whatever else I got before I actually started counting my guess is around the same since I spent around 4-6 hrs there killing them as I went along. I'm hoping at least something will shine but I'm crossing my fingers for an Ivysaur. Although Sunkern and Gogoat(especially him are equal as cool). Congratulations on everyone's recent shinies.

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
The hype leaked into this thread too lmao

So, lucky me, over the last two days I won two shiny pokemon through twitch.tv - a shiny Hoppip, and a shiny Vivillon, the second coming from one of my favorite shiny hunters, ShinySaffichu. Now that I had Saffie's safari I decided to go hunt - she had three pokemon I really wanted shiny.

And BOOM! Shiny Corsola appeared just as Saffie went offline after the stream. Yay for me :)

Stupid Trapinch won't shine for me tho

Rotifer

Super excited about the new games also curious what are people's longest shiny hunts in the friend safari so far I'm having real rotten luck I just decided to count my RE this morning and I've reached 500+ (sometimes I get into the grove and forget to keep counting) plus whatever else I got before I actually started counting my guess is around the same since I spent around 4-6 hrs there killing them as I went along. I'm hoping at least something will shine but I'm crossing my fingers for an Ivysaur. Although Sunkern and Gogoat(especially him are equal as cool). Congratulations on everyone's recent shinies.

Don't worry about getting near the odds with friend safari shinies. This is one of the easiest ways to get a shiny bar chain fishing in my opinion. I never count that much when I'm in a safari, but the last time I did I ended up with 1500+ encounters... it all just boils down to luck! The simplest way to count, I find, is figuring out how long it takes on average to do a single encounter and divide the time you've spent REing by that number to get a rough estimate. Good luck on your ivysaur, at this rate you'll get it soon!

On another note, I'm super pumped about the new hoenn remakes! I'm taking a break from hunting to finish my shiny run on X (I'm too lazy to do a full badge quest ), but I'll start up again once we get some more info about the new games. I think I'll breed myself a shiny torchic to use as a starter, or maybe work on a treecko if the other starters end up getting mega evos!

Congrats on recent shinies, especially to Cyberra on electrode and nickM on cyndaquil, and good luck to everyone else!

ohjeezitskim

I was hatching eggs for a love ball ralts to put in my trade shop.. and well.. 10 ralts eggs later a shiny female hatched.
Not too please with it's IVs at all.
Using a 6iv and 5iv missing defense, she is missing her special attack and special defense - her best stats -_-
At least she was born female and in a special ball. First shiny of May - and she's from hoenn :3 sooo wooo
hoenn confirmed shiny lol

And getting off the computer now, so I won't be able to post a picture :<